Do you listen to artists whose appearances are totally anonymous and unknown?

Do you listen to artists whose appearances are totally anonymous and unknown?

Is this alright, or just attention whoring? Is it kvlt?

What's some essential anonymous-core?

Other urls found in this thread:

consequenceofsound.net/2014/12/someone-actually-found-the-vinyl-records-jack-white-hid-inside-furniture/
thefourohfive.com/music/article/jai-paul-flip-out-demo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Simply not revealing your identity is passe now that anyone can make music. It was mysterious and cool back when label run rockstar image was the norm. Now it just means nothing.

What's really kvlt as fvck are the people who make music but make it extremely hard to find. That's the new cool mysterious thing because it's way riskier.

We're in age of soundcloud and bandcamp and the internet - being anonymous isn't really a feat anymore. Obviously it's all relative to scale - like these days I'm not sure we could have an anonymous pop star, but in the underground? Not really a big deal desu.

>people who make music but make it extremely hard to find

Any examples of this?

So I guess there's no underground artists whose anonymity would be interesting because of some other factor?

>people who make music but make it extremely hard to find

Such as?

consequenceofsound.net/2014/12/someone-actually-found-the-vinyl-records-jack-white-hid-inside-furniture/

Jack White hid his early music in furniture

should have hid it in the trash along with the rest of his gear

KFC Murder Chicks uploaded their last album to a Russian website, with viruses and shit in the torrent. They also deleted their Bandcamp page but right before they did they posted a bunch of weird bullshit on there so it'd show up if you tried to check it on the Wayback Machine.

Okay, there's mysterious and then there's just autismal.

I disagree.
Burial is the classic example. He started as a bedroom producer and generated so much buzz both because of and despite being anonymous. That was only ten years ago. As much as the internet has facilitated everyone to create and disseminate music, there's still a cachet to remaining anonymous if you're music is good. It's still the less traveled path when everyone expects you to revel in your newfound fame.

Eh

1.) Burial was not "truly" anonymous for long - he posted a pic of himself on his Myspace in 2008 and his identity was revealed the same year after he was nominated for a Mercury award. Most of the GP couldn't deal with the fact that he was just some ram bloke and either ignored the facts or came up with a bunch of outlandish conspiracy theories ("Four Tet is Burial!")

2.) That was also before the internet was this all-encompassing, ubiquitous force. Sure, there was Myspace and other sites like it, but that does not even compare to the presence it has now. The market is far more inundated with "internet producers" thanks to the success of websites like SC.

3.) It's also a stretch to say that Burial was popular because of his (faux) anonymity because that's actually fairly common in the dance/club community and always has been - see: pseudonyms/dj names, side projects, white labels, secret releases, masks when playing sets all the way back to Underground Resistance, etc. I mean, loads of dudes on DMZ and many of Burial's peers are, or still are, anonymous.

ZHU i think recently became un -anonymous. If you liked House at the time it was cool seeing such a prolific anonymous dj/producer

I feel like having an anonymous artist behind music brings more focus to the music itself rather than associating it with the person making it.

I loved that ARG to death. They literally deleted themselves from the internet. Watching that unfold was really fun.

op your pic actually reminded me of something which isn't totally on topic, but it is related to image/anonymity. i remember reading this interview with sean from autechre and he said something to the effect that they had once considered releasing their music with absolutely NO presentation or context whatsoever, that is to say they were thinking of releasing music with no titles, no artwork, no comment, etc in the hope that the music would stand on it's own with no outside influences and reign in a more open-minded audience divorced from any sort of scene or w/e.

of course, they realized that having no aesthetic or image would end up becoming an image in and of itself, which would end up drawing in a certain listener or audience therefore making the whole thing a useless exercise in trying for a more "egalitarian" method in drawing ppl in. thought that was interesting.

I think there's still something cooking with them, right? Their Soundcloud had two new tracks posted even after they deleted everything else.

I haven't really stayed on top of it lately.

Dragged Into Sunlight

I love Autechre

>Do you listen to artists whose appearances are totally anonymous and unknown?

How would I know ?

I love Autechre so much i wanna die

I have no talent but if by some miracle I get signed or something I'd like to be anonymous just because I don't want more autism in my life. I'm pretty sure well known people have less freedom because of media judgement.

At this point it only matters if the artist is mainstream
and people in the indie/underground scene are sick of it
which is why mac demarco who is the complete opposite is popular right now. Since he literally wants his fans to know him by giving away his address on album

jai paul debuted Flip Out on some small london radio station with no advertising, or hype. He's done it on other tracks, Magic can be heard debuting on a small time radio station on Str8 Outta Mumbai

thefourohfive.com/music/article/jai-paul-flip-out-demo

yeah but thats misleading
his brother was already in the industry so its not like the songs aren't gonna be heard sooner or later
for somebody like majority of Sup Forums producers that shit doesn't work.

it's 5 hours later but thats a really neat point about the ways music must be packaged in order for you to know of its existence. you can reject that but you cant change it, and so that action imprints its own result upon the medium

tyvm for sharing user, very keen

Autechre are those kind of artists who don't care about themselves but only about what they do. Art should be like this, essence over presence and aesthetic, it makes you humble as a person but profound as artist.