Grateful Thread

I can stay silent no longer Sup Forums.
The Grateful Dead is one of the best bands of all time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9vza9x3mzp4
youtube.com/watch?v=UaStAAOUao8
youtube.com/watch?v=8lCMUkqpI7o
youtube.com/watch?v=wQzPRKxHH6w
youtube.com/watch?v=xBUe4nml-jw
youtube.com/watch?v=H6Uu57h7H18
youtu.be/vV0XLQuWsPs
youtu.be/wdYBYy96mcg
youtu.be/yV6UfRVo28o
youtube.com/watch?v=uaQ1vXdf1Q0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ya I know

shhhh don't tell the ding dongs

I have loved them for a long time. They have about 5 albums I consider 9+/10.

I have only listened to American Beauty, I think it's pretty awesome. I don't know anything besides that.

I was not expecting you guys to be here, what a lovely surprise!

Favorite albums?
Anyone been to a Dead show/other Dead band show?

can't really say i have favorite "albums" per se

anthem of the sun and aoxomoxoa are the only two studio albums i really like. workingman's dead and american beauty are ok

europe '72 and live/dead are pretty great though, i guess they are technically albums

favorite boot is may 8 '77 at cornell

saw dead & co in july

American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Grateful Dead (Skull & Roses), Live/Dead, Wake of the Flood are top for me in that order.

The version of Dark Star on Dead/Alive is such a
journey

Anthem of the Sun is a great/overlooked Dead album

I mean Live/Dead or whatever the fuck its called

Not that dude but if u dig Europe 72, check out some of the individual shows from that tour. Personal favs are 4/8 (fantastic dark star), 4/26, and 5/26.

Also, gentle reminder to all grateful dead fans to listen to Dicks Picks 12. 6/26/74 and 6/28 combined into one show. GOAT China cat/IKYR. Also to boot is a very impressive and beautiful 28 minute MLB jam. The whole show is straight fire.

Cheers everyone!

OP here, favorite studio albums are American Beauty and Shakedown Street. Workingman's Dead and Aoxomoxoa are close behind. As for their live stuff, their '72-'73 stuff out of Europe is amazing. I went to three nights of Darkstar Orchestra shows at Jubilee earlier this summer, and then saw another two shows of theirs a few weeks ago. I'm off to Lockn' on Wednesday to see Phil and Friends.

heard Scarlet Begonias for the first time in a while on the radio this morning and was rocking out,

real talk, American Beauty should be Sup Forumscore

is that 4/8 one at wembley? if so, you're dead on (heh), one of my favorite dark stars

not on the euro leg of the tour but 8/27/72 in veneta OR is one of my my all time faves as well

Redbull me on this band please, I've never listened to anything by them

Who was the best keyboardist for GD in you guys' opinion?

As much as I love Brent, I gotta say Pigpen

Oh honey c'mere.

youtube.com/watch?v=9vza9x3mzp4

youtube.com/watch?v=UaStAAOUao8

youtube.com/watch?v=8lCMUkqpI7o

it's on the latest chart

Thanks bby

>studio shit

wew lad

Pigpen. Nothing dropped panties quicker than him hooking up couples during "Turn On Your Lovelight" renditions

They will always be my all time favorite band, even with fucking Donnas shreeks and Bobby's shorts in the 80s.

Yeah they had some pretty awful shows, they were fucking yakked on blow, doped up, and tripping sack A LOT.

Regardless, all of the hate they get is because of those bad shows, and because of a negative reaction to the extreme side of their fanbase (wookies/drugged out retards).

They have some really great albums, and you can't deny their effect on music today (like it or not)

For someone wanting to be started off on the Dead, sometimes it's best not to start with a 20-something minute jam.

top 10 songs everyone

Ripple
Attics of My Life
Stella Blue
Ramble on Rose
Not Fade Away
Sugar Magnolia
Scarlet Begonias
Box of Rain
Casey Jones
Looks Like Rain

Ripple/Brokedown Palace (Fuck you, that's one song)
Cosmic Charlie
Dire Wolf
China Cat Sunflower
Franklin's Tower
Shakedown Street
Doin That Rag
New Speedway Boogie

Fuck. That's only 8. Throw France and Tennesee Jed on the end

60s dead was best dead IMO, early 70s too but in the 60s it really was Pigpen's band.

i saw George r.r. Martin at the deads last show in Chicago last summer. I guess he loves the grateful dead

agreed.

Oh yeah, 60's Pigpen is just nasty and it's the best thing ever. He leads their gritty transition from their 60's sound to their 70's sound, which coincided with Owsley starting to care a little more about the quality of their sound and a little less about the quality of their acid.

Yeah man that's the one, it goes into a sugar mag at the end!

And yea the Veneta show is legendary man. I remember the dark star being damn good and there was that cool little bass and drums duet billy and Phil did near the end of it. Also the Bird Song from that show is SOOO damn good. Such a strangely paced guitar solo from Jer. I think I read somewhere that the band, or at least some of the members were tripping for that show. Im pretty sure they were though, it would make sense. They've done it plenty of times before lol

They are the best jam band of all time. Perhaps one of the best bands of all time. Listen to Skulls and Roses for a good live introduction to em

Terrapin Station is such an incredible song.

sure, but why not give them a 6 minute live cut that is significantly better than it's 4 minute studio rendition

loving this jamband love on Sup Forums recently. forget the stigmas. listen to some of the best guitar playing ever!

OP here, same sentiment.
I was definitely expecting to get shit on as soon as I posted this. Dead Threads should be a more common thing.

cmon man. Cosmic Charlie is a deep track, nice choice. but lets hear some live stuff! for those who are interested, check out Dick's Picks or Dave's Picks. Each provides excellent soundboard audio of some of the best shows. With over 3000 theres a lot to digest!

Alright you animals, here ya go
youtube.com/watch?v=wQzPRKxHH6w

I always feel this way

too stoned for definite order, but:

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
Cryptical Envelopement
Dark Star
Terrapin Station
Bird Song
Attics of Our Lives
Broken Arrow
Shakedown Street
Deal
Days Between
Cassidy

That was hard.

/jbg/ has been born

i liked jam bands back in high school but I do not care for them anymore. They are repetitive now and nothing really new or interesting to me is coming out of that scene.

I don't consider the dead a jam band, I think they are a band that jams.

A jamband is a band that tries to emulate what the dead were able to do. Also jambands never have as good studio stuff, because there seems to be a lacking of true creativity. With the dead, they created catchy, awesome songs like no other jam band since could come close to.

Phish did their own thing to a degree, but I wouldn't call what they did art in the same way I would call the dead art.

I could use a little schooling in specifically epic shows. I've been to plenty of DSO shows, so I've experienced a '79 Shakedown-heavy set, a '82 weird throwback-y set (They did a glitzy rendition of "Friend of the Devil", and a couple of DSO's original sets.

But my favorite one I saw was June 8th(? I think?), 1969, a Fillmore West show. The set had Cosmic Charlie, China Cat, Doin That Rag, St Stephen, and a lot of other crazy shit.

Live shows are the best kick out there right now.

fair enough. But I think you should give the modern circuit a run. No doubt emulating the Dead will happen. We have Joe Russo, and the like. But Lettuce provides nice funk, as well as bands like Disco Biscuit and STS9, iff you can get into that.

Anyway, there is always the tried and true, and the music is fare from dried up. Dead & Co., Ween, Phish, Gov't Mule, all touring right now. Plenty of things to enjoy!

I had a hippie teacher in high school who was really into Phish and the Dead. Bless him for getting me into that stuff.

...I'm just gonna slide this in here and hope that somebody is interested....

These guys blew my mind earlier this summer, Yonder Mountain String Band is another quality bluegrass jam band.

youtube.com/watch?v=xBUe4nml-jw

yeah i just dont see any real art coming out of it. I know all the bands, been to many festivals.

Jamtronica was innovative at first, but it quickly lost steam and now i just hate it.

can you elaborate on art? I see these bands in act of refining their art, not necessarily creating new, but tweaking and expanding.

i've seen yonder about 15 times, but stopped seeing them after jeff left the band. he was the only one that i really liked.

I'm also less into bluegrass than i used to be

I've been to two Yonder shows. I agree that Jeff should be sorely missed, but watching Jake and Allie's chemistry onstage is worth the show.

Anybody else here /circlesaroundthesun/?

My dad went to every single fare thee well concert and didnt take me :(

He has been an intense dead head his whole life. Seen tons of concerts and has all the tickets still.

It is all subjective, and everyone has their own opinions and that is great. I usually try not to dwell on my own because it has annoyed people in the past, but yeah ill explain a little.

I just don't think that those bands are saying anything. What they are expressing isn't profound or deep, and doesn't provide anything insightful to me. It makes people dance, and has some skilled guitar parts. I play guitar, and I really just don't care about fast guitar playing anymore.

I think a lot of people try to say that jam bands are so creative because they are improvising all of the time, but that really is not true. They have an idea of where a jam is going to go, and they have been playing the songs all tour. It may get a little weird, but jamming is almost never truly creative. Mostly, they end up playing in a box that they know will work with what the band is doing. With jamtronica, that box is "boots and cats" and not much else, and I think it is lame and played out.

All opinion, and I am open minded about being wrong.

What is Sup Forums's favorite year?

Mine is probably '77 or '78

2nd gen head here. My parents had me just after Jerry died.
Live/Dead or EU72
I also have this great Brent mix my dad made right after he died.

I saw Billy & The Kids ft. Bobby and Preservation Hall Jazz Band ft. Bobby at peach feat last year and I saw Dead&co both nights at alpine this year. Brent, or Jeff if he counts
Not counting covers/trad
Terrapin Station
St. Stephen
Ripple
Stella Blue
H>S>F
Playin in The Band
Scarlet>Fire
Eyes of the World
Standing On The Moon
Cassidy
Same, I've seen Neal Casal, Jimmy Herring and Jerry get mentioned in best guitarist threads a lot recently.
One of my highschool teachers got busted for weed at phish last year
Neal is the greatest living jam guitarist imo.

Bumping with silly 70's effects

youtube.com/watch?v=H6Uu57h7H18

Dark Star
Terrepin
St Stephen
Althea
The Other One
Eyes of the World
Shakedown St
Franklin's Tower
Estimated Prophet
Golden Road (to Ultimate Devolution)

Good year for being so late in their career and past their glory days.

I've been listening to Terrapin Station a lot lately.

Dark Star
Eyes of the World
Terrapin Station
Wharf Rat
Help On the Way/Slipknot
Ramble On Rose
Brokedown Palace
Row Jimmy
Standing On the Moon
Black Peter

Hope you like this...

youtu.be/vV0XLQuWsPs

youtu.be/wdYBYy96mcg

This is pretty badass too

youtu.be/yV6UfRVo28o

I gravitate towards the Pig Pen years especially pre Anthem material.

I like this very much.

Good morning bump

youtube.com/watch?v=uaQ1vXdf1Q0

seems like you don't know much gd beyond the well known stuff my friend

Blues for Allah is a great album

Sup Forums needs more dead threads. Never knew there were fellow deadheads here.

Also dick picks vol 4 > rest

I've seen ratdog a couple times

Also saw Govt Mule and bobby came out to do several dead songs.

Saw my first dead show this year, dead and co w/john Mayer. I know he gets a lot of shit for his bluesy playing style, but he is still an amazing guitarist that has been a life long dead head. It was an amazing experience.

I got into the Dead only this year and it's one of the best decisions I've made

my favorites:
Scarlet Begonias
Box Of Rain
Casey Jones
Jack Straw (on that Europe 72 disc, damn!)
Cosmic Charlie

no particular order tho

>The Grateful Dead is one of the best bands of all time.
Sure. Easily in the top 2000

i like scarlet begonias and their emblem gives me an aesthetic hardon but i could never get big into them

is this whole thread satire?

people can like what you don't like m8