Why is 95℅ of electronic music, harmonically speaking, so uninteresting compared to rock and even pop music?

Why is 95℅ of electronic music, harmonically speaking, so uninteresting compared to rock and even pop music?

Does it have something to do with the fact that 95℅ of electronic musicians don't know any music theory?

Other urls found in this thread:

osborne-conant.org/oliveros.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

harmony was always just a brute force form of additive synthesis anyway. electronic musicians are way past harmony.

No one listens to music for harmony anymore, grandpa.

People who have a clue about music do.

Nobody listens to music for quality anymore.

>I've only heard of Deadmau5, Skrillex and Aphex Twin

All three are shit

>harmonically speaking

the people who claim electronic music is on par with Bach and the Beatles are the same kind of people who claim shit on a canvas is on par with the Mona Lisa and that green-haired fat transexuals are on par with genuinely beautiful actual women

Its not even made with real instruments amirite xDDD \m/ \m/ \m/

Why 99% of rock music is so uninteresting?

>t. stuck on the aesthetics of 1850
t. bwv 1080 is my favorite work of all time

Same shit, strummed at different speeds, the only thing that changes is slower the more self loathing lyrics, the faster more teenage-angst.

You sound like you teach at Harward.

Why is 99% of music so uninteresting?

Texture and dynamics are more important than "muh harmonics"

Why is 100% of life so uninteresting?

modern pop music is electronic you doofus

>Don't know any music theory
topkek m8. I've been playing piano for over 18 years and I loath rock music for it's essential simplicity. It's not that I don't like listening to it, it just does not do anything for me. It's like a surface without any deepness to it, it doesn't touch your soul. Electronic music, even the simplest techno tracks do go deeper. If listening to a harmonic chord sequence is what makes you feel 'fuck yeah sounds great', you're the real pleb here.

you can't fuck with texture and dynamics outside of electronic music and mess with harmony at the same time? musical retard detected.

WITNESS ME

i need to show you something

what is it?

music theory is boring and restricts people

Why do rocktards think all electronic music = EDM

we're going somewhere
are you ready

can i go too

>not liking things because they're simple
you're a typical music olympics faggot who needs your knowledge of theory to make up for your tiny penis and your dead soul.

you need to fix up your intuition

Where did I even say I need musical theory, OP was implying electronic music artists cannot into music theory and I debated that, faggot.

yes, absolutely!
can i bring ?

yes but that's it
once we walk through this doorway there is no going back
do you understand

you clearly have no response so you resort to projection nice one m8

His parents probably conditioned him to be a rockstar or some shit and made him take lessons now hes bitter, people like that either end up becoming mega pretentious and thinking theyve trancended rock, or they become rock god wannabe faggots, either way they turn into pretentious gorilla ticklers

no that wasn't projection, not on my part at least. you just have a blurry lens and it's sad to watch.

>Mona Lisa
spotted the art pleb

thanks bud
i do

i understand
no cats allowed
no anything
just you and me and and whatever lies ahead

That's not even me you're replying to, but can't you see your entire post was one big projection to start off with? lol

You can't be further from the truth.

>Doesn't touch your soul
What about Astral Weeks? Or Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock? or Islands? Or Rock Bottom?

i am a cat
do you understand

Depends what genre really. But as for techno/tech house/ house. It's supposed to be minimalistic. That's the point. Its not supposed to have big drops or to be obnoxious.

Its also ment to be listening to in a party scene and to mixed by a DJ. I never liked electronic music until I went to a show. Now I can't stay away from the after hour clubs because the vibes are unreal. Untz untz untz

nobody said you need theory. you're the one going on the musical equivalent of saying you're a navy seal with 10 years of combat experience and fuck rock/pop music because of it's simplicity. which is an incredibly stupid thing to say, who gives a fuck if it's simple, only a fucking faggot who masturbates to theory in his head as opposed to using his ears would do so.

Ok so you're just pretentious on your own

but how?
i don't understand...
a talking cat?!

(You)

So you're saying you know nothing about music theory? Because that's what it sounds like to me.

But OP did say that, user, and I replied to him. And the rest is my personal taste and I understand others like you do not agree.

all will be revealed to you in due time. all i can tell you now is that you'll feel overwhelming familiarity when the time is right.

Rock and pop are mostly harmonically boring too

i do but why does that matter?
you're obviously someone who sees music as words and figures in your head, try using your ears sometime they might surprise you.

i can't wait anymore, man
i'm about to burst
reveal your secrets to me!

Hmm I don't know about any of the artists/songs you listed, but just listened to Astral Weeks, and it sounds nice, but does not give me the 'goosebump' effect, you know? It's all taste in the end, a personal thing.

This

it's all about sound design and finding the right blend of timbres now

It's somewhat ironic to think that Electronic musicians spend months/years learning audio editing/creating software which is more or less one of the most complicated instruments ever (I did a whole class on Electronic Music for Uni) it allows for so much control over every single aspect of the sound, and if you truly dedicate yourself to using it, you can create sounds that appear to be completely organically produced or so out-there and weird that no-one had even perceived of it before it's creation, And yet, they rarely know the first thing about how music works, how to compose, how to add harmony and melody to a song. Every other musician HAS to learn how music works in order to produce good music either proffesionally or for fun, but Electronic musicians never even try, they just follow the same exact outline for electronic music set about 10-15 years ago. Honestly there is less diversity in Electronic Music than in Blues!! Which only has about 7 songs!

>he thinks its all techno and house

You don't have to have a clue about music to listen to it, asshole. Welcome to the 21st century. I can upload myself shitting on soundcloud and get likes by bot profiles, motherfucker.

thread should have ended here timbre is harmony pushed beyond its limits and that rock, pop, and le art music all still play with their same tired toychests decade after decade is just plain sad

Holy shit is this the youtube comments section

Texture is literally harmonics though.

Nice pasta

not quite- harmonics, or as they are being discussed here - basic harmonics, are a strict subset of texture so it's backwards and somewhat confusing that one would prioritize a handful of rather simple harmonies against the limitless other possibilities available to electronic music

No it doesnt you idiot. Its theory not law

well so is religion but people still willingfully follow that to the 't'

Thats not the fault of the religion or theory. Thats the fault of the people who take it as anything beyond what it is

unfortunately the intention of these things doesn't really change the role they eventually come to play in the world: the more music that abides by traditional music theory, the more people that will be subjected to it by mere immersion. uninterested in working to explore unfamiliar territories, they will typically come to associate these musics to be good, and when it comes time that they begin to want to make music then they will try to uncover how it is the songs that they enjoyed sounded so good to them, and more likely than not they will find the one common item they had under the hood was a reverence for traditionalist music theory and so on and on the cycle will perpetually continue

You're full of shit. Music theory is not religion, it is science, it is a collection of mathematical knowledge, not a collection of unfounded beliefs and commandments. It is about understanding music, not about setting rules by which to abide.
>the cycle will perpetually continue
Oh fuck no, future musicians will actually know what they're doing instead of blindly pressing random keys and flipping their shit once they realize a certain progression sounds good, the horror.

Reveal your secrets already, man!

This is very true, some people have a very one dimensional perspective when it comes to music and sound

niggers

osborne-conant.org/oliveros.htm

i never claimed music theory was a religion, only akin to one by the metric of how devotionally it is often followed for the misguided notion that it contains the musical "answers" or that it makes ones music better

and neither is it a science nor a "collection of mathematical knowledge," it is just a somewhat rudimentary application of mathematics to attempt to describe what a few people from a long time ago thought sounded "good"

>women
>knowing shit about music
top kek

>ok everyone sit in a circle and meditate
its somehow even worse

>women making art
Okay.

Okay, I think you're just talking about something else than what I mean when I say music theory. Sound is mathematical, synthesizers or whatever electronic instruments you prefer are based on mathematics. If you want to purposefully create sound you better know some shit about math and ratios and wavelengths. about the relationships between different wavelengths and so on. That is musical theory.

She's right though, on a deeper level music theory stems from the western male dominance culture. You guys don't like music, you want to control and dominate music/sound just like you do the world and nature, you can't accept anything unless you put an abstract label on it, probably because your penis is small.

>mfw plebs near me get turned on by MUH GROOVE instead of appreciating good melody/harmony
niggers ruined everything

Great bait, mate. Rate eight/eight.

Trying too hard. 1/10

Painful to read.

For me art is better when it comes from the soul, rather than calculated, it's just how I personally like to work as an artist. I'm not a very calculated person, I do things more intuitively and enjoy playing with chaos, I have nothing against more calculated musicians but you tend to miss out on something whenever you think you have it all planned out perfectly.

everything is "mathematical", everything is "based on mathematics" yet i doubt you waited for your PhDs to start shitting your pants or picking your own nose

given how complex music can actually be, it's pretty funny though how music theory stops at ratios between different wavelengths. it's like saying to become a great painter, the process is 1. learn the difference between red, yellow, and blue 2. yadda yadda yadda 3. paint the mona lisa or whatever

also,
>implying i want to purposefully create sound
>implying purposefully created sound is better than non-purposefully created sound

Can't argue with idiots, I guess. Knowing theory doesn't hinder improvisation in any way, you people are just lazy and defensive.

>Can't argue with idiots
this is the only valid thing you've said all thread

Music isn't an intellectual pissing contest, and it's always the ones who get really into theory probably went to music school that get defensive and put down others who approach music differently. Music is expression, to play with sound in any way you want. It's like having sex, you're not an idiot if you'd rather get lost in it instead of consciously planning out how you're going to maneuver your cock and learning the specifics of certain movements and maneuvers.

>comparing music to sex
Are you a woman, by any chance?

Music is like sex in that no one on this board understands or likes it.

>le epic self-depreciating joke
>le Sup Forums hates music maymay
How's it going, Reddit?

Music is like sex I get mine on the internet

I feel that 'responding to tone' should be slightly higher up. I hate debating people that are being dicks for no reason.

You have a point, but it makes you look like a poosy

>getting butthurt over mean words
Reddit is that way

>Music is expression
no it isn't, it's just sound you happen to like and both camps tend to fatally undersell the beauty of just that: expressionists think music is merely projection of some emotion while the theorists barely even dig hard enough

brave statement, have upboat

Music is like sex three minutes is the perfect duration.

Music is like sex I don't even like it anymore but it's all I can think about.

I don't get butthurt. I stop responding. But if you want to have a legitimate debate where your opponent acts like an adult, you ought to as well.

Music is like sex you really ought to be using vinyl

I hate retards like you.
>OMMM BIG SPIRIT OF THE SEA, WHICH NOTE SHOULD I SUMMON NEXT
It is musical THEORY, it only helps you if you are not ignorant retard to improve your ideas, structure, do shit you could never think of.

Music is like sex the more time you spend on theory the less you spend on practice