Gorillaz

Anyone here hyped for Gorillaz new album phase 4? Ive started listening to their music a lot more recently and im getting really hyped.

Snoop and De La Soul are featured so its basically Plastic Beach 2.0

fantastic, PB is the best gorillaz album

why aren't they bringing Del back?

has anyone seen that focus group commercial on viceland and one of the older guys starts talking about vaporwave?

at one point he does a shoutout to st. pepsi, but i think he also mentions gorillaz as possibly a proto-vaporwave band?? had never considered this but PB definitely has those vibes

I don't sense any vaporwave on PB

i hope del comes back. also gorillaz is a top tier music group

thats why proto-vaporwave

>visual A E S T H E T I C
>satirical preoccupation with consumer capitalism
>popular music

>"the fall" was recorded on an ipad

they even have the world record for most successful virtual band

Phase 3 sucked fucking dick.
I want a return to roots or something more rock oriented as they've not really gone that way before..

Del is past his prime. He won't bring anything to the table and Damon knows that.

I'm curious of what it might sound like.

Looking at the album cover for Plastic Beach makes me physically feel like I have the flu and I have no idea why. Is this normal?

I'm not hyped at all because it means they'll start touring again and up until this point I was at the last Gorillaz gig ever

considering the subject material that's probably the point

I hope so. I love their stuff I just hate looking at this album art for some reason

>TFW when the last Gorillaz album you bought was Demon Days.

So is Plastic Beach really that legit???? I like their debut more than Demon Days

PB > s/t > DD

imo

I absolutely loved self titled as well as DD, G sides and D sides are fabulous but I could never get past the 3rd song of PB.

I get angry every time like "wtf is this shit" and put something else on.

But that's just my opinion famalam

>not liking white flag

I liked PB. It's the best "album" from start to finish that you can kind of just let play, as the difference between the peaks and valleys of the high and low points aren't that extreme. There aren't that many GREAT songs on there, but not many overly disappointing ones either. Only song I can think to say I dislike is To Binge. Definitely worth checking out, my highlights are:
>Glitter Freeze
>Rhinestone Eyes
>Stylo
>Sweepstakes
>White Flag
>Pirate Jet
>Superfast Jellyfish
How long that list of highlights should illustrate how much of the album is solid (but not incredible). Couldn't pick a top song off that list.

Also all the songs featuring Noodle make me think of Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Listen to Rhinestone Eyes, Pirate Jet and Glitter Freeze. If you don't like those, I probably wouldn't bother with the album

what do you think about empire ants? it's my favorite gorillaz song

Kind of bores me to be honest. I find it follows a similar pattern to Rhinestone Eyes but I much prefer the latter to it. Also I just don't like when Damon sings like that, plus Little Dragon's voice isn't my favourite. I feel like I'd prefer it as an instrumental, but would love it if it had better vocals.

Basically, I skip it whenever it comes on on shuffle but I don't have anything against it. 7/10 song.

Not true, Del can still drop bars.
He just chooses not to in the name of innovation, it's like he's trying to prove you can rap with out rhyming.
I believe his most recent solo albums & 3030 pt.2 show this.
But he killed it on Heiros last album (2013) and had a good part on Mr. Lifs album this year.

Demon Days is better desu

their weakest album other then the fall imo, a lot of the songs lack depth so they're good for a bunch of listens then become boring; PB and s/t have staying power

for the next one I would like an album with less feats and more Albarn songs. I think PB has a lot of great songs but I felt like some of them were totally dispensable. In Demon Days it also happens but it's not so remarkable.

Another DOOM feature please. He might be a bit past his prime but I still gey excited when he shows up.

another reason del hasn't shown shown his sp00py face since s/t is because he was exorcised from russel after s/t

Apparently it is a lot more fast paced. Maybe along the lines of songs like m1a1, white light, etc?

this. White Flag is the best song in the album

Really, finding the "best" Gorillaz album is the most subjective thing in the world. Do you prefer the bleak, rainy mood of a desolate world that Demon Days tries to convey? Or are you more into the melancholy summer beach vibe?

Personally I prefer the latter, but really every album has something great that no other album can offer.

S/T is pretty underrated as a trip hop album. It was one of the first albums I ever actually bought as a young kid but I only truly started appreciating it after I got into Sneaker Pimps, Tricky, and Massive Attack

hopefully. m1a1 is top tier

Agreed. The intro is annoying though

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO

S/T was also an amazing album - it was my first album as well, and I think because it covered such a vast scope of genres and mixed and match them helped me become more open to music in general.

Totally. Have you had the chance to see the Bananaz documentary yet? Its wild just how much Damon and his team were able to accomplish with such a limited budget. People who say Gorillaz is just Blur with rapping don't have a clue.

I must admit Gorillaz was kind of a cringey fanbase thanks to those of us who were under 20 at the time. Those official message boards, dear god

Oh I'm sorry I seem to have stepped into r/music.

We should be wanking over Radiohead or Sonic Youth or MBV for the millionth time, maybe starting another Blonde thread. I see what you're saying.

Luckily I was too much of an idiot to figure out the message boards were even a thing. I saw Bananaz once a long time ago and enjoyed it but I don't remember much.

The period around the first album is probably my favorite, though. There's songs off that album that were preformed live like, what, 10 times? And recordings from back then are really rare (or just in shit quality). Finding something like Sound Check or RTH live is amazing.

yes I am
So much hype these days
2016 great music year

Yeah, people who were around to catch those early shows really didn't know how lucky they were. I don't regret missing the first couple shows were they used a backing track or the one in France I think it was with catastrophic technical difficulties but once they found their groove, that would have been awesome. You should definitely rewatch Bananaz if phase 1 is special to you

Also if you look around some phase 1 rarities have surfaced in the last couple years. The S/T instrumental album, demo album, and a compilation of good quality live tracks are floating around somewhere. Might even find some in the archives

Are they ever going to properly explain the end of the plot from Phase 3? The last official video was On Melancholy Hill, wasn't it?

The last official video was DoYaThing

>muh Rock n roll
>muh geetar

Probably not, they hardly care about the story any more. Its likely gonna stay very loose and limited to music videos. Jamie gets burnt out on drawing the characters by like the end of the first month after a new phase launches

To be fair if you wanna indulge in the cartoon canon thats what Rise of the Ogre is for

The rarities and ureleased songs are also another enjoyable part of Gorillaz - I have a library of (unofficially) released B-Sides and demos I've been collecting for years now.

There were plans to make a spinoff metal band that would include Murdoc and new characters. It never came to fruition, though.

doyathing wraps everything up pretty well

I remember being a little bit pissed off when they announced Disc 1 of D-Sides cause I had just spent years buying all the imported singles I could find on Amazon and Ebay hunting for those juicy b-sides. Gorillaz was one of the few bands I was ever super autistic about collecting merch with. The artwork probably played a role in that

Lol I don't think that was ever literally true

The storyboard from Rhinestone Eyes helps fill in some gaps as to the exchanges with the Boogeyman, but I don't remember if it comes before or after On Melancholy Hill.

To be fair if you're one of those people that just HAS to have all of the merch you done did good to collect all of them. Plus I imagine if you ever decided to sell them they'd sell well.

Eh maybe. I didn't have much cause as a teenager I couldn't afford most importing costs to the states (as a result most of my shirts came from Hot Topic instead of the official webstore), and I also didn't take care of my stuff very well also due to being a dipshit teenager. The memories about being so excited about something are valuable enough to me.

I don't even have a turntable but the Feel Good Inc 12" picture disc single is still kind of a holy grail to me just for how beautiful it looks