Jeffrey Lewis

Does anyone else here like Jeffrey Lewis? For those of you who don't know him, he's an Anti-Folk singer/songwriter from NYC. He's criminally underrated even though he is probably one of the best contemporary lyricists out there. He may not make the most accessible music, but it IS some of the most rewarding. Jeffrey Lewis appreciation thread. Favorite albums? songs? comics?
youtube.com/watch?v=aiCeD1B12KA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dlRanftUqO4
youtube.com/watch?v=G7N4uBZLe1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=pJDPvTqMgHc
youtube.com/watch?v=ZwGhPnsCjDg
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3few8xjIs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ATWC9oAZfk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=94lPCCzMV8A
reddit.com/r/JeffreyLewis/comments/3gbz63/jeffrey_lewis_interviews/
youtube.com/watch?v=XPsmA-Vure4
mega.nz/#!JZQRESoC!RGl48yvz3JWp4MK5ZaY1eVropv6mNmKHXjgrxGykYVE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

huh, thanks for this thread, user. can't contribute much to discussion, but I'm definitely gonna keep listening to his stuff. I think I've heard of him before though, think he might be on the same label as a band I like.

no problem, he's really great. He's on Rough Trade records, is the band you're talking about on that label too? Who are they?
youtube.com/watch?v=dlRanftUqO4

Don't Be Upset is GOAT

OP you seem passionate, what is his best album?

Oh, I am. That''s a tough question. I'd say its between 'Em Are I, City & Eastern Songs, and A Turn In The Dream Songs. Those are all great albums. As a matter of fact its actually difficult to just pick one favorite Jeffrey Lewis album because I feel like he has yet to make a perfect record yet with no filler tracks. Don't get me wrong, even the filler stuff is great. But there isn't exactly one album you can point to and say "this is Jeff at his best" because a lot of his albums have pretty different vibes from each other. His newest album, Manhattan, might be his most accessible one he's made yet (it's still a Jeffrey Lewis album though, so don't expect something you could bump at a party). If I had to pick a best album I'd say City & Eastern Tapes. It's really open to debate though, it's just hard to find anybody else as obsessed with this guy as I am. He's been around since the late 90's/early 2000's and yet he's still virtually unheard of by most folks.
youtube.com/watch?v=G7N4uBZLe1Q

Hry man, thanks for bringing this guy to my attention, just listened to dream sogs and it was really cool, reminds me sorta of lou reed, or early mountain goats, but different.

Im gonna check out more stuff, really good!

I'm glad someone else can appreciate him too, he deserves all the acclaim he gets
youtube.com/watch?v=pJDPvTqMgHc

oh cool a jeffrey lewis thread. love this guy.

Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror
youtube.com/watch?v=ZwGhPnsCjDg

to me he's just a real artist, great artwork and certain songs are pop poetry. Lovely man, keep him in the back pocket and listen to him alone. I think super fame would freak him out so I don't tell anyone about him. I think if we keep him a secret now, then in 30 years our kids will be able to get hella cred by busting him out on future Sup Forums as a lost treasure.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3few8xjIs

Jeffrey Lewis is my shit dude. "So long I'm going to go draw alone in my shack" and "the Chelsea hotel oral sex song" are some of the best lyrics I've ever heard in any song. He's hilarious and earnest and criminally underrated. His newest album that dropped last year that basically flew under everyone's radar is fantastic too.

You know.. for the longest time all I wanted was for him to get more famous and finally get the credit he deserved but maybe you're onto something. Maybe he's at the perfect level of fame already. He already has a big enough fan base to do tours all over the world. But at the same time, even if he got famous his music still isn't accessible to the average music listener so I think at best he'd be like Mountain Goats or Leonard Cohen level of fame. His cult fan base could grow but I dont think he would ever go mainstream so he wouldn't have to worry about being TOO recognizable. Still its an interesting thought that maybe he's already at the perfect level of fame.
I love those songs, they're great. His lyrics are so clever. I was just telling my friend this earlier today, sometime he'll have a line that may not even fully click with you when you first hear it. It might take days or months, but when it does click then you have this little moment where you're just amazed at how he perfectly described such a minor aspect of life that no one would ever think to examine. No other lyricist has done that for me as frequently as him

Here's that song:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ATWC9oAZfk

Also another one of my favorites:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=94lPCCzMV8A

You can really tell how much he was influenced by Daniel Johnston based on his artwork and music.

I saw him live with AJJ. Haven't really listened to his music since, but I did like it + him. He came off as pretty intelligent but not at all pretentious.

he's a really down to earth and genuine guy. He hasn't let being slightly famous get to him at all

If anyone's interested, here are a bunch of interviews with him

reddit.com/r/JeffreyLewis/comments/3gbz63/jeffrey_lewis_interviews/

Yea, like, I totally wish him success. But really I all I want for him is happiness, cause I think he's perfect right now. Maybe we should start a fan club for him so he knows he has a small, but elite base of adoring fans. Totally legit guy. I really think he will be looked back on as an (somewhat) underground icon.

I totally agree, I think he will be too. And I would love to make a Jeffrey Lewis fan club. Although unless someone wants to make a website from scratch we could just use the r/JeffreyLewis subreddit, or we could go on the forums on his website

He's the one that ruined all of them Crass songs right?

Good but lyrics vise not as great as GOAT Pat the Bunny

I remember listening to back to when I was four everyday. which jeff lewis should I listen to

which project I meant desu*

dude what are you talking about? Pat the Bunny is the basic bitch of folk punk. All his songs are about angrily smoking cigarettes. He was never even homeless. His music is for edgy 15 year olds and he can't hold a candle to Jeff's writing

Check out the songs that were already posted in this thread, then give this a shot if you still wanna hear more
youtube.com/watch?v=XPsmA-Vure4

thanks man, there's something really adorable about outsider/anti-folk music. also just found out he actually made comic books ..

Absolutely! him and kimya dawson both can be very adorable. and yeah, he actually prefers writing comics over making music but making music is more profitable for him and gives him a place sell his comics (he sells them at the merch table at his shows)

Hey, I was skeptical, but that was really nice. Any albums I can download?

>The Last time i did acid i went insane
mega.nz/#!JZQRESoC!RGl48yvz3JWp4MK5ZaY1eVropv6mNmKHXjgrxGykYVE

Its here if you want it, but if you can afford it I'd recommend just buying the album since he doesn't make much cash off all this stuff

Fuck Off Jeffrey

Definitely my favorite song of his.
I found out about him because some guy in my area was selling a Fender amp that Jeffrey had done some drawings on. Kinda sad I didn't buy it now.