/grimes/

Discuss the Canuck electronic music artist Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

Leave your opinion on her music.
- How and when did you find out about her?
- Rank/rate her albums and post your favorite Grimes songs.
- Did you see her live? Do you plan to?
- Who would you like to see her collab with?

Download rarities: reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/4g84rl/grimes_downloads_various_rare_collaborations/
Read this: genius.com/Grimes-i-dont-want-to-have-to-compromise-my-morals-in-order-to-make-a-living-annotated
Grimes flowchart: i.imgur.com/0rPwOAO.jpg
Grimes documentary: vimeo.com/164942263

Try to keep it music related, and be nice to Grimes and to each other!

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/54Sbr
instyle.co.uk/fashion/news/instyle-uk-grimes
youtube.com/watch?v=J0LVTbltWLI
youtube.com/watch?v=bTZvZ4DThoc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5XUw4qHZo
thefader.com/2015/07/28/grimes-cover-story-interview
cityweekly.net/utah/live-music-picks-aug-25-31/Content?oid=3432082
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This new look is amazing.

Yeah.

imgur.com/a/54Sbr

instyle.co.uk/fashion/news/instyle-uk-grimes

Is Grimes (aka Claire Boo-shay) the single greatest artist of this decade?

I spoke to Chris Ott the other day (I'm his neighbor) and I brought up his harsh criticism of Grimes. His face flushed and he covered his eyes with his hand, letting out a sigh. He told me it was the biggest embarrassment he'd made of himself. He said that he actually thought Grimes was one of the most UNDERRATED and UNDERREPORTED acts of the 21st century, that she was way more than just a pretty face, but he had to keep his audience of 3rd level contrarian hipsters happy so he instead attacked her. It was pretty believable, especially when he took out his wallet and pulled out a folded photograph that was him and Grimes with a heart drawn around them in red magic marker. You could even see the top of James' head behind Ott's shoulder.

I want to do "things" to her feet

nobody cares

Grimes is a Goblin

no she's not.

does this really look like a "goblin" to you?

But user, she's not a goblin. Don't you see how beautiful she is?

going to her concert tomorrow, what to expect?

haven't listened to art angels in forever tee bee aitch

Huge level of energy and fun. Most songs are from Art Angels though (she promotes this album).

nice
going with some qt grills too so I'm excited

>Is Grimes (aka Claire Boo-shay) the single greatest artist of this decade?
Very, very possible. I didn't anyone from this decade as great as her.

Try to find a place closer to stage. Believe me, she's absolutely magnetic, you will not take your eyes from her.

>Is Grimes (aka Claire Boo-shay) the single greatest artist of this decade?

Is that how you're supposed to pronounce her last name?

Yes. It's in French.

Nice interview: youtube.com/watch?v=J0LVTbltWLI

thanks for the tip user

How many people were saying Claire Bowwwww-cher all this time...

(not me tho)

Her name sounds so ugly without the French pronunciation.

Btw, it means "butcher." Claire the Butcher! That's why she has a knack for killing and maiming haters, and she has taught her fans well.

I said her name as boo-shay even before hearing the real pronounciation. It just sounded French to me...

Did you see this legendary Grimes interview with Nardwuar? youtube.com/watch?v=bTZvZ4DThoc

>named her myspace boucherville
>think she was just naming it after heself + ville because it's "her page"
>there's a district in montreal called "boucherville"
i was so disappointed.

lol was she stoned for this?

I need to visit the real Boucherville one day. actually I should never, because my expectations are so high, I imagine it's like Claire's version of Dollywood, everything in the entire realm will reflect a Grimesian perspective.

Wow she looks OK in these pics

When/if she gets super rich and evil, she can buy Boucherville and make it into a theme park of Grimes.

I have no idea. Anyway, near the end she became so emotional when talking about her dog that died.

My favorite part of the interview:

Nardwuar: Why people should care about Grimes? Why people should care?

Grimes: 'Cause it's the future of music. Futuristic music.

K.O.

Yeah, I know but she's not actually French. She's from Vancouver so wouldn't it be also correct to pronounce it in English?

it's from her french-canadian side.

goblins are cute

this is the cringiest thing i've seen for a while

Grimes is fucking shit you're waifu is overrated and has no talent

I've never seen a more wrong post

1.) She's not shit. If she was, she wouldn't be nigh universally beloved. Only trolls think she's bad, everybody else either thinks she's really good or her music just doesn't appeal to their taste.

2.) We hate the waifufags as much as you do.

3.) She's completely untrained, and yet she's beloved by so many and produces such good music? Honey, she's the walking embodiement of talent.

Now run along. Nobody wants your negativity here, troll!

yeah, no talent bitch right here
m.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5XUw4qHZo

hey guys.

what is your opinion on fka twigs

What's yours?

i like the production on her music, but not really all that impressed because she doesn't produce it herself.

the lyrics are also kinda shallow. it seems all she sings about is sex.

i still like it though!

I like her. I liked LP1 better than M3LL155X, my favorite songs are Video Girl, Two Weeks and Pendulum.

its ok that she's about style + fad, but holy shit c'mon like 75% of the notes she's singing is off and during be a body she's barely even pressing the sampler buttons in time. . .

i'm all about it, but that wasn't much proof of the "talent" especially when she is hardcore produced

She wouldn't be singing about sex if she had integrity. It's the only talent for those kinds of pop stars to have.

slow night for /grimes/

this interview we got is pitiful.

>cartilage piercing
That's my fetish

/grimes/ should always be close to the top of the catalog so people see it.

does grimes still dabble in the occult? of course we don't know, but what do you think?

her recent forays into my dreamscape suggest yes.

altho I haven't seen her for many months. I drove her from my shores after I consumed the soul of the apocalyptic horseman she had coerced into leading her army, but she vowed to return as her ships drifted into the fog.

>i'm all about it, but that wasn't much proof of the "talent" especially when she is hardcore produced
Depends on how interested you are in the idea of music production as a live performance art (which is what Grimes does live - in addition to all the frenetic singing/dancing/instrument playing/etc you routinely hear about her doing.)

For me - as a live musician myself - watching that whole KEXP performance is like watching a master builder single-handedly assembling an entire set of buildings from scratch and without any blueprints - so what if she has to go back and re-adjust a couple of components along the way? That just makes it cooler - because she still manages to make it all work.

I like it a lot, but you post the same thread too often.

I don't even browse this subreddit that often but this thread is always here.

I'm being serious

>subreddit

she's being gang stalked

cute music for cute people

So am I. You should have seen the horror on her face when I sucked the soul out of Death (the horseman she had coerced to lead the charge) and banished him from my domain.

I am a reborn celestial entity, my dreamscapes are a small domain, but they are coveted by many occultists, including psychics and wizards. Often times they will try to wrestle them from my control. Grimes was one of these.

I'm not sure why, it's manifestation is often a lonely desert isle with no grass in the middle of an eternal ocean and night. There are far better places to try and draw psychic energies from.

> he doesn't know the latest meme taking over Sup Forums

subchan

I want to lick her stinky hairy anus

is she the cutest being to ever grace this planet? i'm inclined to think so.

Her tattoos are so fucking dumb.

So you're a straight male. Me too.

me too

Did she ever?

>A Wiccan phase in seventh grade petered out after she “got cursed”: “I was casting a spell, but the rosary crumbled in my hands, and it was really scary,”
thefader.com/2015/07/28/grimes-cover-story-interview

whenever i do drugs and forget to not click on these tabs, I always just find a super high res pic and end up just staring at it for undetermined amounts of time.

I've come to the following conclusion after just wasting another 2 hours of my life repeating this nonsense: she's very pretty.

I wish you guys wouldn't waifufag her though. It's pretty disrespectful to her as a person and you don't have the excuse of tripping balls.

I found her oddly attractive. I know she's ugly, but her style is so great that I end up liking her a lot.

i just want to look at grimes.. i dont use drugs so you might not understand

In these threads you will find:

>Grimes interviews
>Grimes memes/lore
>Grimes live plays
>Grimes press shots
>Occasionally Grimes instagram/tumblr/twitter posts
>Very occasionally musical discussion
>Disgusting lewd posts by anons who don't know better

What's the best Grimes song to workout/get pumped up to?

what if we, /grimes/, were to produce a song as a tribute for grimes?

its the uglynes

I had never read that interview before, for some reason, thanks
I love how it remarks how she's always inconsistent with her answers

Greatest description of Medieval Warfare I've seen yet:

>Her current single "Medieval Warfare" (Suicide Squad soundtrack) starts off like something written for Coma the Doof Warrior, the flamethrower-guitar player from Mad Max: Fury Road (played by real-life Australian shredder iOTA), then materializes as a pulsing electronic Die Antwoord-influenced anthem for independent women.
cityweekly.net/utah/live-music-picks-aug-25-31/Content?oid=3432082

i still like my collage idea

i havent seen Sup Forums make one in many years

i don't recall seeing your collage idea, explain it to me user

nah its lame

nothing is lame, tell me it to me sweet child

nah the song idea is better

yeah but lets get real, of the 40 regulars who visit this thread, most of those are waifufags who don't actually care, and most of the remainder are probably too lazy to lift a finger to do anything creative. it takes a lot of effort to produce a song that isn't hot garbage and tbqh i've never done any producing a day in my life.

ASSUMING that producing a track is a possibility, we could always use the collage as the track cover. so tell me the idea you huge freaking nerd.

Grimes meme/lore is the best. It's like we're our own little Sup Forums inside the larger Sup Forums.

what she really loves most is getting hand drawn art from fans. she might love a comic or manga (which after all is the main inspiration on her visual style). i'm sure this would never work but what if we all collaborated on a great crazy elaborate story that involves grimes (not claire but the all powerful grimes) or one or more of her alter egos as characters, maybe using exquisite corpse method to make the story. and what if there happened to be a good artist or two who wanted to draw it, either digital or on paper.

i feel anything we do should be something that feels appropriately "Sup Forums" in a sense that represents the positive playful and geeky potential of Sup Forums that in my limited observations does not really seem to be fulfilled because it's buried under all the self serious racist bullshit. as a major appropriator of comic culture herself, i think this might be the best angle into claire's heart but idk... we do seem to have a lot of creativity here in coming up with stories involving grimes (whether fantasies, dreams or unsubstantiated gossip narratives about her various conflicts and relationships) and if we could somehow harness this into a (possibly intentionally fragmented and excitingly nonsensical) collective randomly generated narrative, and then someone could illustrate it... some potential is there, to redeem even the most irredeemable story contributions (rococo basilisk getting ass raped by a pitchfork bot and loving it or something) by decontextualizing them or randomizing the process somehow (mad libs?), so no one person (i.e. no hater) is in control of the narrative...

it's the reasons why I stick through the thick and thin here.

well that plus this thread is usually pretty timely with new interviews/press shots/social media posts and it's really the only place to discuss grimes thats super easy to browse on a phone.

no

I like this and would be happy to help make something for this. Both drawing and story. I think you're right, she'd probably appreciate it the most out of anything we could do, and lore seems to be our strong suit.

All right, I was able to fix my chart, and you guys were right, I fucked up in quite a few places. I cleaned it up and patched up certain parts. Here is my updated chart which is better than the one in the OP. Let me know if you have any comments, complaints, or suggestions.

it's gorgeous, thank you

As sad as it is, I think we're the intellectuals of the "trashies".

amongst all the waifufags and shitposters. that may just be my ego speaking, but I don't see any other high-level part of her fanbase dissect her music and her brand like we have.

Not tumblr, not reddit, not the bloggers. Their "discussion" of Grimes is extremely asinine. They barely ever look into the philosophical questions that Grimes poses throughout it's body of work, yet these threads have grappled with them again and have worked with them so thoroughly they've been able to be abstracted into complex ironic memes.

Pls stop calling us trashies.

stans is just as stupid. what would you prefer? grimers?

>a flowchart
>a lot of it is just singles
Waifufags are living memes.

this is really good satire

She doesn't have that big of a discography my friend

we're the best at self-aware humor. we're so good it doesn't even come across to the more serious posters on Sup Forums.

This is the best one yet

How about just Grimes fans or even Grimesfags in a Sup Forumsmor kinda way?

I like it but what's with the Drake meme at the top?

both of those are too many keystrokes.

if we aren't caring about ease of typing, we should just call ourselves surreal yuppies since everybody else seems to have completely forgotten about that.

Let's go with "fags"

rude as FUCK

we could call ourselves gz because grimes starts with a g and she uses Zs a lot

that would work out so that james handle on twitter would mean he's big boss

cute.

That's autistic af

we should be called "fruity"

voignamirians

be nice you guys, we're all trashies here

youre retarded for wanting a special name for your little fan club