Jazz Discussion

Jazz thread, discuss favorite artists, pieces, whatever. Looking to find good jazz trombone stuff, any recommendations excluding JJ Johnson?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YIAbKuZTYIk
youtube.com/watch?v=M3DK1ocw35w
youtube.com/watch?v=jSyeM9C7R50
youtube.com/watch?v=lM5Cj8yFkOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=P8SUe0XF0w8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ay yo listen to this at 1.5x speed
youtube.com/watch?v=YIAbKuZTYIk

Listen to this at normal speed can't find the original
youtube.com/watch?v=M3DK1ocw35w

Listened to this earlier today. The performances were fantastic. Scott and Bill had infectious chemistry

I've been listening to this album a lot recently, just good solid blues that I can't get enough of. Mingus's soul is infective.

youtube.com/watch?v=jSyeM9C7R50 also some good ass live shit I came across recently, would highly recommend if you're looking for new players.

youtube.com/watch?v=lM5Cj8yFkOQ

Just got this album and loving the title track

>Looking to find good jazz trombone stuff, any recommendations excluding JJ Johnson?
the best

any recs based off these?

this was supposed to be for you

this album is pretty good

Was herbie hancock actually big at one point? I've seen several things with him and the fairlight CMI, and the fairlight was insanely expensive back in the day.

Yeah, I'd say he's arguably one of the most well-known names in jazz after Miles Davis. Ask anybody your parents age and they'll know the name Herbie Hancock.

I'm just getting into jazz, I found this album today, what does Sup Forums think of it? I really liked it.

chick corea is playing near me in a few weeks, thinking about going

He was huge, although the peak of his fame wasn't his jazz era, it was his 80's electronic era.

big in jazz or big in general? more than certainly big in jazz but he was never really mainstream. Although Headhunters and his other fusion/acid jazz albums were fairly popular for jazz in the 70s, and he even won an album of the year. I also believe he was a pretty early adopter for synths in jazz, it says on wiki that he and stevie wonder bought the first units in the US for 28 grand, im sure he could easily afford that

Thanks guys

His music might not quite ever have been mainstream but he was definitely a mainstream cultural icon. I think he was kind of one of the cultural faces of "jazz" in the 80's

Why is Round Midnight such a good ballad?

Good harmony

this is actually quite the label lads. outputs very low but all class records

it's monk

Waltz for Debby's better desu
Sunday at the village vanguard is a nice tribute to lafaro but it focuses on him a bit too much

I think my favorite singer is Billie Holiday
youtube.com/watch?v=P8SUe0XF0w8

Man I love jazz. Miles Davis, Coletrane, the list goes on...

...Art Tatum. Thelonious Monk. Charles Mingus. Art Blakey. Dizzy Gillespie. Max Roach. Billie Holiday.

In my neighborhood I'm known by everyone as Jazz Boy. I know so much about jazz that everyone asks me for jazz-vice (like advice but for jazz music). My parents always bragged about my jazz knowledge ever since I was 6.

People just walk by me on the streets and in the halls and yell out a modern musician, and I instantly reply with a similar jazz artist recommendation and they say thanks!

They say "Deadmau5", I say "Ride the Coltrane!"

They say "Drake", I say "Monk it up!"

They say "Skrillex", I say "Ride the Coltrane!"

They say "Pink Floyd", I say "Get bizzy with the Dizzy (Gillespie that is!)"

They say "Avicii", I say "Ride the Coltrane!"

I've got my whole school wearing Coltrane shirts. I'm pretty much a legend. People were chanting Jazz Boy! at my school dance last year. It was a thrill. I got to pick one song for the dance and everyone loved it, they all stopped dancing for the duration of the song because they were all so engrossed in the music.

Haha well memed sir

*Tips fedora*

same brah
nice pick by the way, you listened to the whole billie on columbia comp? one of the most beautiful music experiences i've ever had

Yes.
I love the way she always sings songs so different and creative from everything else. She's gifted. It's beautiful

jazz bump