Was vaporwave nothing more than a meme in the end Sup Forums?

Was vaporwave nothing more than a meme in the end Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

desired.bandcamp.com
fortune500.bandcamp.com/album/sailorwave
youtu.be/7XwGBy9MAQs
youtu.be/1faZ_pjDEsA
youtube.com/watch?v=W374tWnsk70
youtube.com/watch?v=sbm7pTicGVc&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it was always a meme, honestly if you thought it was anything more than that then i have some concerns.

synthwave is still cool though

No. It started as one maybe, but it's a genre of music.
It might die (probably, all things considered) but if we listen to it, it's never dead.

Every time I listen to it all I can imagine is a bunch of Leafyishere lookalikes with Hotline Miami posters behind them enjoying the same thing I'm listening to, and I cringe uncontrollably.

I forgot to add, they're also wearing the scorpion jacket from drive.

Right....

I mean, don't we all have that exact same situation?

Recommend some synthwave senpai

>Was vaporwave nothing more than a meme in the end Sup Forums?

the drive jacket is more for the outrun/futuresynth people

What matters is that they're faggots for wearing it.

Some memes take on a life of their own.

>was

pretty sure it's still a meme

the whole future-funk thing that came out of it is good tho

This reminds me of a time when I actually went to a Vaporwave show
>show was free and close to where I live
>wanted something to do so I went
>took place in a pretty comfy coffee house, had actual furniture
>waiting for show to start
>group of college aged kids at the table next to me is just spouting retarded Vaporwave memes
>wearing floral shirts n shits
>"who needs a gf when you have Vaporwave lol"
>cringing hard but try to block them out
>eventually of them gets up from the table and goes to the stage where the set was and starts playing music
>realize the table of kids are actually the artists in the venue

Recommend future funk

I like it a lot, but you post the same thread too often.

I don't even browse this subreddit that often but this thread is always here.

What artists? Assuming this isn't copypasta

heh

マクロスmacross 82-99 is pretty good worth wild to listen. Been listening to him from the big vapor boom.

>this subreddit

From what I remember:
>Life Turns
>Cobalt Road
>Dan Mason
>Late Night Swish Sesh
>Windows 98
The show itself was actually pretty comfy and I enjoyed it. I also remember Dan Mason had on a Death Grips shirt

desired.bandcamp.com entire discography is singles but they're good. Yung Bae is god tier, you probably know him if you know the genre at all. I'm a fan of Bae and JDE2
also correct

>this subreddit

This might be because I'm not that interested in current vaporwave, but I don't recognize any of those names. Or are they fairly unknown?
But the way you're describing the show, I'm not surprised. These people do exist.

fortune500.bandcamp.com/album/sailorwave
My favorite album to come out of future funk

The most well known out of all of them would be Windows 98 and even then he's not THAT well know so yeah

What city was this/do you live in? Or just general area, if you prefer

This was in Tampa on which I live near the outskirts of

Damn, tr00 Vapor

yeah no one looks good wearing it

dan mason is a pretty big fag, i talk with him sometimes

does the guy from drive even look good in it?

>I don't even browse this subreddit that often

Thanks anons. I'm liking your suggestion.

>but it's a genre of music

Explain. What are the musical characteristics which separate it from other genres, making it it's own genre of music, rather than just a style?

First song is worst on the album imo, so don't let it put you off.

Do you have a link? I can't find it either on Soundcloud or YouTube.

I think it's rather a proto-genre, because slowing down of muzak, corporate music and all the musical styles vaporwave is sampling a new key and speed range is created, which is in fact a kind of a new style or genre or whatever when imitated by genuine composing.

youtu.be/7XwGBy9MAQs

lol go fuck yourself

holy fucking shit dude

Because future funk is the best

Holy shit if you hit the share button on the ad before a video in the youtube app it copies a link for the ad and not the video you are trying to play.
youtu.be/1faZ_pjDEsA
That should be a real link

lterally who

My Opinion:

It's a meme, and there's nothing really intentionally "deep" about it. It was just slowed down music that was fucked with.

BUT

I personally like it, and I think it strikes a chord with a lot of people because it does conjure up nostalgic feelings. I was already a nostalgiafag before Vaporwave, and when Floral Shoppe came along it was like a fuckin orgasm.

I grew up in the early 90s in the south with a bunch of outdated computers and technology. Seriously - it took so long for people to adapt to new tech. I used a Windows 95 computer until 2001, and I'd watch the Weather Channel all day just to catch the Local On the 8s forecast and jam to the music.

In middle school, I felt weird as fuck when I came out and told people I enjoyed smooth jazz. Now, thanks to Vaporwave, there's a weird group of people out there that don't think it's so weird.

It's also very sexual for me. Vaporwave sounds scary and sexy to me - and I personally conjure up thoughts of BDSM when I listen to it. It makes my heart pump in a nervous/excited way just like it does during BDSM play.

yeah...it only works in a cinematic way

Vaporwave is the "punk rock" of the 2010s. Let me be clear that I am not talking about vaporwave necessarily as a style of music, but as an ideology.

Stylistically, they are, of course, completely different. But aesthetically, they are one in the same. And no, I don't mean aesthetically as in a e s t h e t i c, I mean it as in the core purpose of the art. Punk rock was mainly reacting against the corporatization and commodification of rock music. It saw the current state of rock music as something manufactured, something inauthentic. It then decided to return to something it saw as more "human", more honest, and this was largely a deconstruction of conventional rules and standards in rock music. Vaporwave actually sought to do a similar thing.

Those who remember its origins remember it initially had a very anti-consumerist agenda to it. Where punk rock did this against rock music, the dominant musical culture of the time, vaporwave did this against electronic music, the dominant musical culture of the time. What could be more "punk rock" that taking a sample of a popular song from long ago, slowing it down and chopping it up a bit, and then asserting that it is indeed a completely new art? It takes the corporate and applies it against itself, much like the original punk rock movement.

Unfortunately, also like punk rock, it enacted a self-fulfilling prophecy. Taking the corporate and using it against itself is in a way an invitation to become corporate. Everyone wants to be a rebel, to feel as though they're part of some exclusive thing that is still greater than themselves. Rebellion becomes the norm. and again, the corporate learns how to exploit the culture, and the culture becomes the corporate. Vaporwave ideas may have been a lot harder to adopt than punk rock ideas, but we are seeing a musical vaporwave pallet being restructured in the popular music of today,
youtube.com/watch?v=W374tWnsk70

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

Vaporwave wasn't even that popular why would mainstream music bother to absorb it?

>mainstream music absorbed vaporwave
>implying this means that mainstream society has picked it up and that literally any average person knows shit about it other than just some trippy Japanese character motherfucking digital aesthetic
Just because vaporwave could be seen as a statement/reaction to a thing doesn't tie it specifically to fucking punk rock of all things

Sorry misread yours

mfw I love unironically Carly Rae Jepsen now

why not
the best way to make a shitload of money is to try and anticipate normie trends before they happen, and a great way to do that is to look at small trends with modest but significant popularity on hobbyist internet forums

>in the end

By its own design it's incapable of dying. That which is dead, etc. It's been "dead" since shortly after it started.

Dude wtf
I can't agree more
The same shit happened with death grips sampling

I did a thing.

I don't care if it's shit, I like my vapour

youtube.com/watch?v=sbm7pTicGVc&feature=youtu.be

i've said this on /gd/ and i'll say it again here

>2016
>still doing vaporwave

i had a nice pic to accompany this greentext but i'm at work now so