What's your favorite Folk artist and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TyWpb1V0dRo
youtube.com/watch?v=i2oT872DUWg
theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/09/jackson-c-frank-tragic-tale-forgotten-60s-legend
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For me Robin Pecknold has now surpassed pic related and Nick. He's literally the chosen one, he's Tim Buckley level. If Tim Buckley loved playing little ditties.

As of right now I love Roy Harper and Van Morrison.

Are the rest of Harper's albums on par with Stormcock?

John Fahey. He has a huge discography and most of it is fantastic. He's not for everyone though.

Nick Drake is second place by the way.

Lifemask is pretty good. But I haven't really checked out a lot by him.

cool choice.
Mine is Robbie Basho, he is one spectacular musician, had a great unique voice, and a droney songwriting style which I find pretty interesting.
Also lots of feeling

Boyd Rice because he's a nazi

FINE DAY, SUNDAY

The Dubliners

And out of them, Ronnie

The feels
youtube.com/watch?v=TyWpb1V0dRo

Babatunde

Basho is great. I read about his death once, and now I'm too afraid to go to the chiropractor that my mother wants me to go to

Pretty generic but Townes van Zandt. I just love the way he writes about love and life. People say it's depressing which I guess it is but it's also uplifting to me in a way.

Orphan's Lament is one of my favourite of his, like you said, so much feeling.

I'm a big fan of Townes Van Zandt but his recordings can be a bit hit or miss. I understand he's a bit surface level though.

Does Babatunde have any other releases than the Drums of Passion series?

He does. Such as Zungo!
youtube.com/watch?v=i2oT872DUWg

And all sorts of other stuff. Just check his page on discogs

based

Not necessarily my favorite, but I've been listening to a lot of Bert Jansch recently. As someone who's been struggling with an addiction "Needle of Death" is particularly relatable. Pentangle is fucking awesome too.

Bob Dylan
Objectively best at American folk music

so the nicest thread at the moment was ruined.

you're getting it wrong. folk is anonymous

folk is the way people call music rooted in folkloric music.
The same way we call "classic" music that is baroque, romantic, modern etc etc etc

>mu
>implying there are nice threads

e for effort

this was a comfy thread 10 minutes ago

Bert Jansch. Just great guitar playing, nice songs, nice voice... That's all.

I know I was just trying to be contrarian
thanks for being a nice guy tho :)

I've had a hard time getting into his solo work, I find it rather bland, what approach should I have?

>implying Dylan's acoustic works in the 60s alone don't put him in the running

>exactly implying that

Dylan was a direct influence on at least 6 of the musicians mentioned in this thread.

Anyone know the name of that artist who in, like, middle or elementary school saw a bunch of his fellow students burn to death after a furnace exploded or something like that?

And, in my opinion surpassed by those 6.
Don't misundestand me, I don't hate Dylan, but I think he was a pretty mediocre performer.

That was Jackson C. Frank

Good god, it's the guy in the op. I should've known, he looks like he's seen trouble. Thanks, friend. Much appreciated.

Jack Orion is a great album, have you tried listening to that? It sounds like an old fashioned english countryside.

cool, I'm liking the dorian mood

Is Paul Robeson considered folk? Or more like gospel or blues?

theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/09/jackson-c-frank-tragic-tale-forgotten-60s-legend

Kind of gives his first album more meaning. This man suffered more tragedies than imaginable. It shows how much potential he had. It could've all been different.

Sir Richard Bishop

Has a very unique take on the American Primitivism style and isn't just trying to be Fahey like a lot of the modern ones.