Rock is dead

Jack White is the last rock and roll celebrity/idol/icon/legend. He was at his prime a decade or more ago.

Like jazz and blues, and like a museum exhibit, there will still be a place for new and old fans to find and enjoy rock music, but its place in the vanguard of modern music ended a long time ago.

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ymIUz6njjpY
youtube.com/watch?v=K7-vCeL6Pvs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJFYoaTVHYc
rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2016
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't worry. I'll be around soon.

have you forgotten about based poc related

goatee game: strong

lol rock died when zeplin broke up man.. its all synths and computer animated crap nowadays no one even plays they're own instruments.

hell be fine

Josh Homme is still about and releasing good music though.

folk rock is in its heyday right now with John Misty etc.

Dude. Jay Reatard just died! LMAO

So are Stephen Malkmus, Thom Yorke, and Steven Drozd

>forty- and fifty-somethings who had their heyday 20+ years ago

Thank you for reinforcing my point.

rock is alive and well my friend \mm/

Ty Segall is a staple bitch. Stop being so basic.

>them crooked vultures II
when

sandy alex g

Less so with the others, but Radiohead are still putting out music that fans consider amongst the best they have made.. Unless you're one of those people that thinks everything that isn't OKC or Kid A is shit

Soon hopefully
>JPJ is 70
Please no...

4real doe
Best rocker from this generation

The older I get the less I give a shit about genres.

I can go out on a weekend and see several good rock performances. In college there was at least one rock party show a weekend. I can turn on the radio and hear half of the stations playing some form of rock. Metal and hardcore music is huge and there's a bunch of rock being released all the time.

Rock is not dead, you're just weirdo gen z faggots who listen to neurotic computer sounds.

Too balls chopped off emo for my taste.

I mean Nancy Sinatra came harder.

Thats a shame, he's one of my fav artists rn. what're you more into?

>if Kurt Cobain hadn't killed himself, Rock music would have been saved

this feel is too much

You know, bands that don't sound like Rusted Root & Jason Mraz's illegitimate child.

if Kurt Cobain hadn't killed himself, he would have been an obese rolling stone cover celebrity who ran out of ideas

You have your take I have mine.

>I can go out on a weekend and see several good rock performances.

You can do the same with classical, jazz, and blues. They all still sound the same as they did decades or even centuries ago, because they're no longer relevant.

>In college there was at least one rock party show a weekend.

Every town and city has its fair share of derivative, unremarkable punk/metal/noise/metalcore bands that will never escape the underground because their music is uninteresting and noisy. They better enjoy those high school/college groupies while they can.

>I can turn on the radio and hear half of the stations playing some form of rock.

The only rock played at all on corporate FM radio is a stale playlist of the same 60s-early 00s dad-rock/dad-metal/grunge/nu-metal that has been in rotation forever.

>Metal and hardcore music is huge and there's a bunch of rock being released all the time.

Back to my first two points: Sure they're still quite popular, but anyone who isn't either a nostalgic oldfag or a clueless "born in the wrong generation" babby stopped giving a shit about rock music long ago.

>oh I'm the fuckin man

Look kid. Just because you're all and, and if, how, and then so many? Doesn't mean you're, , or, , yes

Does Jack White have another "Rock" album in him?

I'm over a certain age & I say yes, multiple, but the nigger should go country.

Bluegrass even.

I need this desu senpai

Points I was about to make

Ty Segall, Josh Homme, Stephen Malkmus, and Wavves all make plenty of music almost every year. Shit, even Steve Albini is pushing out music still.

Plus good rock acts are coming out every month. Show Me The Body, Parquet Courts, Diarrhea Planet, Titus Andronicus, and a lot of other bands have brought rock back.

Rock ain't dead man. You just gotta look for it.

If not for having shot himself in the mouth, he would have eventually died of heroin OD like every other 90s rock star.

>tfw this goofball is the last saviour of rock and roll

>ywn have Josh Homme's falsetto
kill me

youtube.com/watch?v=ymIUz6njjpY

Garage rock and post-punk revival is so 2001 you guys.

Are we gonna be doing this once every generation?

nigga wavves hasn't been "rock" since King of the Beach

The bottom line is that I am stupid... I am imbecelic and ignorant. Any reeeal thinker wouldn't even think twice about wiping their ass with these boring, american, 20 something, retarded ideas. So here it is you guttless paltroons. You wailing sacks... Rock N' Roll and all her bastard grandchildren suck... They are terrible... They are banalities... BANALITIES... Can I ever stress it enough... Ever... Ever... Ever... Ever.. I'm not crashing anyones party, I'm fucking retarded. RETARDED. Do you read me asshole, RETARDED... But not as retarded as fucking hip-hop... Oooohhhh, and thats just the start... Two minutes... No. No. No. precisely five minutes or so of exposure (like radiation exposure, only WORSE) sickens me beyond my comprehension to speak... IT sickens me so unbelievably much I want to scrape at my eyes and genitals... ME. ME. ME. I don't give a fuck about you asshole. I don't want to come to your party and I don't care what bands you like either (All Night Radio, The Like, Siouxsie &The Banshees, The Cure, Joy Division, [fucking "Joy Division", everyone likes "Joy Division," why don't you get a fucking sign that says I"'m a mindlesss, mindless pea-brained fuck!" instead of liking Joy Division, it would accomplish the samew thing.] My Bloody Valentine, Helio Sequence, Vietnam, Dead Meadow, Roxy Music, Nick Drake, Ariel Pink, R. Stevie Moore, The Space Lady, John Maus, The Beach Boys, talking heads, esg, the clash, pixies, the streets, happy mondays, Kylie Minogue, eno, the chameleons, nofx, john lennon, yoko ono, velvet underground, BEYONCE, a certain ratio, dirty little secret, can, Le Tigre, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, virgin killer, etc. etc. etc. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

Ok, w/e. Enjoi ur velvet revolver then

Scott Weiland was a saint, you fuck scum.

lol you are saying Jack White wasn't a garage rock artist?

for sure. if you havent seen him live i highly rec it, adds a lot of energy to stuff like kicker.

u know i aint ignoring this

heck heres a youtube youtube.com/watch?v=K7-vCeL6Pvs

He hasn't been that since he released Get Behind Me Satan desu

Nu Male shit bricks.

& I'm voting Hillary.

Here's a refresher: If it sounds weaker than Yo La Tango... it isn't rock.

My point is that early-mid 00s garage revival was rock and roll's last gasp as a relevant, contemporary genre.

Everything that has followed since is just a niche curiosity for certain music nerds.

thats why i said "was"

this is fuckin idiotic
so you are sayin all modern garage rock albums after the 00s are crap lol

the residents are still around until homer dies/gets bored so rock isnt dead until then

Jay Reatard is a saint & as far as I'm concerned you just besmirched his legacy.

Well, uh, Tame Impala hit #4 on the Billboard Top 200 with Currents, so no, rock is quite alive.

That was an R&B album through & through.

So you are implying that "rock" has to fit the narrow line of loud, messy shitty instrumentation, and if it sounds 'good' it's not rock? What is it, pop? Bullshit.

You THINK they sound stale or samey, because you have a narrow definition of rock. In fact, you are saying you WANT it to all sound the same. You aren't being consistent. Rock is constantly evolving and sounds different and new every year, so you are saying it's not rock, but you want it to sound like the old shit, but you say the old shit is stale. What do you WANT?

Loud obnoxious blues, that's all ever Rock was.

Yet it sounds like God's left ear when done right.

what

*Brian Wilson's left ear

The Beach Boys were never rock.

The Rolling Stones were rock... the difference should be apparent.

o i am laffin

"Rock and roll" was only ever a louder, faster, high-energy form of blues.

Then white people appropriated it and turned it into slow, bloated, high-concept, navel-gazing bullshit.

Music transcends race. "Racial appropriation" of an art form is bullshit.

wtf i thought alex turner had saved rock?

Pop music,son. The blues never played into thier sound.

Too bad Phish is one of the last great rock bands around. Go see the legends while you can guys...they're about to start a massive fall tour. I mean...just look who's hanging out with them in that picture.

[its place in the vanguard of modern music ended a long time ago] =/= dead

Well fuck, now you're catching on.

Pls. dear god don't make this about rock is rap I want that to die I will kill you where you sleep.

All forms of popular 20th and 21st century Western music were created by negroes. Therefore, rock = rap. QED.

Yeah, totally, and neither did soul music. Which is why Surfin' USA wasn't a cover of a Chuck Berry song. And which is why they totally didn't cover a bunch of Dick Dale tunes. And which is why they totally didn't record an entire soul/RnB album and cover a Stevie Wonder song. You need to learn yourself some music history, boy.

I believe that OP's point is that rock music is no longer "relevant". Good music in that style is still being made, but the general public is probably listening to modern hip-hop, maybe EDM or upbeat pop music.

If you were to survey random people and show them pictures of musicians, some people would recognize classic rock musicians (maybe), and the recognition would drop off as you approached the current year. Everyone would recognize Taylor Swift, Drake, Beyonce, et cetera, and I doubt more than a handful of people would say "Oh shit, yeah, that's Stephen Malkmus."

My rebuttal is "who gives a shit?" The public doesn't give a shit about art in general, is art dead? Is literature dead? If Stephen Malkmus had a line of branded sneakers and people talked about his personal life at the water cooler, so what?

tl;dr, is any rock fan in here really that disappointed that their favorite creators aren't widely recognized?

Modern pop music IS rock music. It is what rock music became when rock became the dominant form of popular music. Rock never stopped being the dominant form of popular music. The new shit that sounds like the old shit is exactly that: music meant to sound like old shit. The new shit is rock, it just doesn't sound like the old shit.

It's not that rock is dead, it's that rock stardom is dead.

Artists with Jack White level fame from ANY genre are decades-old at this point. Beyonce, Kanye, Taylor Swift.

Shit is way too niche driven for there to be new megastars. But obviously there is more great music released each year than anybody can keep up with and all these "X genre is dead" memes are frankly idiotic.

Modern pop music structures precede rock music and are much closer to blues or R&B.

>Taylor Swift, Drake, Beyonce
This is basically the entire list though. Fame itself is fucking dead.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJFYoaTVHYc

ONE

And no. Bach was not highly recognized during his lifetime, and was in fact largely forgotten until the mid-1800s. Neither was Van Gogh.

Beethoven was tho

jack White is still cool? I have doubts, but the man is amazing.

Justin Bieber is still in his early 20s, and there is no shortage of young new pop artists who can become viable enduring superstars.

Like I would spout Josh Homme is cooler, but less talented.

The problem is that the kind of rock genres that the general plebe flocks around to is stagnating. You know, garage rock, stoner rock, punk revival, psychedelic rock they all sound the same.

Hard to get excited about yet another The Cure-influenced band, wouldn't be able to swallow yet another band that sounds like The Clash in the year 2016, or yet another blues infused garage band imitating meme bands like Black Keys.

Simply put, the rock subgenres that aren't stagnating to death simply aren't the kind of genres that tend towards stardom.

Fuck rockists.

Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris, Adele, Drake, Justin Bieber, and Major Lazer have only been on mainstream radio for about five years.

We're on the verge of having a new crop of pop superstars.

& of this Sky Ferreira still can't brake?

^break

The cunt is great & deserves Taylor Swift money

nice track, thanks for sharing.

I didn't want to get too off-topic in my post, but people put a lot of emphasis on who won a Grammy, who's a big name right now, who has the biggest "social media presence", and it's pointless because fame becomes more ephemeral every day, or it seems like it's losing weight. I wouldn't say fame is dead, but the nature of fame is changing

She already showed tits on her first album cover. Why would anyone care what she did after?

Because I love her singing. She's like material girl Madonna only tougher.

Found Dave Grohl

who is she?

& way prettier I might add.

Not that early Madonna wasn't a smoking babe.

Fuck if they aren't a dead ringer in pics.

A fucking hot as fuck milf mexican foot & ass model.

My guess is she did sex for money as well, no source.

Bieber came out 7 years ago, he's about to hit multi-decade status.

Also can you name, say, 3 other Bieber equivalents? How many 70s rock stars can you name by contrast?

Are you fucking kidding me?
>Adele
>An appearance she made on Saturday Night Live in late 2008 boosted her career in the US.

>Taylor Swift
>The release of Swift's self-titled debut album in 2006 marked the start of her career as a country music singer. Her third single, "Our Song", made her the youngest person to single-handedly write and perform a number-one song

>Justin Bieber
If you think there's a "crop" of biebers on the way by all means point them out

>Harris and Lazer
Niche artists that nobody has heard of. You can't compare these guys to Jack White or like, the 100 rock bands that were household names during the 70s.

Beiber isn't Timberlake talent & even Timberlake has it's glass ceiling.

>check rym's 2016 chart
>rock
>rock
>rock
>rock
>rock
>hip hop
>IDM
>rock
>electroswing
>hip hop
>rock