Grimes

Thoughts on Art Angels?

incredible pop music desu

moronic dribble for stinky weeaboos who need to die asap

Somewhere in between

I love it. A lot of the songs on it are among my most replayed tracks.

le 90s nostalgia

Rather listen to crunkcore desu it's the same thing but more redeemable

That's very cute in a tumblresque way I gues. There isn't a Grimes general going on right now so I guess I can't tell you to fuck off like I so badly want to.. So carry on I guess.

God-tier pop album/album full stop. Anyone who denies this is a fucker

Love it. AOTY 2015

cool music for cool people!

Cute and pleasant

I like it but hate the first 4 songs

This is everything music shouldn't be. I'm happy it exists.

California is great.

the worst grimes album by far

Hey Fantano

you hipster

easily one of the best pop records in the last 10 years

Look at you trying.

>Music shouldn't be fun and happy and layered and nice to listen to
wew lad

its great. 8.5/10

her best after visions

I enjoyed it. I hope we get that deluxe version with the b-sides that she said she might work on.

Grimes is one of my musical addictions...

>last week /grimes/ turned into a drama shitfest with the creation of the chart
>some anons quit over it, others spent thread after thread bickering at each other
>meanwhile the waifufags overran the general in between the tides of two-three anons duking it out
>a regular grimes thread appears
>everybody is civil and actually discussing her music instead of posting shit that belongs in /s/ and /hr/

I think it's time to drop the "general" moniker and the OP copypasta, lads. It seems to improve thread quality a shitload.

Shut up retard.

TUMBLR needs to leave that's what I think

she's a canuck

No. Grimes is more than just a music.

i hope our grimey is sleeping well

Are you fucking autistic or something? Sure, Grimes is more than her music of course, she's an person. But guessing that's bit too hard for you fucking idiots, go to fucking Reddit.

What is your point exactly?

>a music

> implying Grimes isn't a special kind of music in human form

Emphasis on special.

literally who?

waifufag here? so this is where i contained now?

you're safe here, friend. enjoy your stay and always be cute

Cute music for cute people!

Listening to Grimes definitely makes me feel cute. If any music can transform a person, its gotta be Grimes.

me too

Top right

>she really is an art angel!!!

t. The person behind me at her gig, every 15 seconds.

>Claire spends five minutes explaining that encores give her an anxiety attack and she won't be doing one
>ENCORE ENCORE WE LOVE YOU GRIMES

Only worse fans I've seen is Wavves.

>Claire spends five minutes explaining that encores give her an anxiety attack and she won't be doing one

seems legit :^) I get allergy from tipping waitress too

She played her "encore" track before going offstage. Regardless of how it was justified I liked it. Cut the bullshit ten minutes of asinine artificial
>o no wer reely going guys not going 2 cum play anutha song ;^)
that every gig has these days and just play your closer.

she could played two encore songs if she refrained herself for complaining for 5 minutes :^(

>for
>from

fastfix

Yeah well, want do you want, it's Grimes. She spent at least a full half hour talking to the audience in this frenzied flight-of-thoughts manner throughout the set. It's a feature(tm).

i think she needs to talk more tbqh

Grimes crowds are pretty shit.

Deviant Art: The Album

She needs to practice public speaking

Can't really get into it. I only really liked a couple songs on Oblivion anyway.

Art Angles just feels embarassing to listen to. I'm not really sure what it's trying to do. It's like there's this cringey J-pop influence, but also some cliche pop lyrics in California. I just don't know.

When I went to see her (Birmingham earlier this year) she hardly talked at all and when she did I couldn't understand any of it (I was like 3rd row btw)

elaborate

I like the way she talks during her shows

Ok, well this mightve just been my concert, but basically you get thrown around a lot in songs that don't really require moshing of any kind, people were getting REALLY drunk, grinding against each other and shit not to mention it was extremely hot, and I ended up 6th row halfway through when I was near the front, bearing in mind I'm a pretty short guy (about 5'6"/5'7") I couldn't really see anything and it was a kind of shitty experience really

I got to see her in the front row and I'm 6'3"

Lucky you

what do you think of Art Angels v 0.5?

so did I and I'm 6'2

I only regret that I wasn't there earlier to be more to the center

Eh, I think the album overall was too widespread. Definitely a disappointment for Grimes.
Her new song for SS wasn't too hot either.

Pretty boring on it's own.

I haven't seen them but i would expect weird people, which would include douchebags.

It's a really good straightforward pop album and I enjoy it quite a bit, there isn't really anything weird or experimental about it which is why it confuses me that Sup Forums talks about it so much. What's so special about it?

more like fart angels haha lol

haha lol

Mostly the girls on here that get this album, unless they're really into their pop music. It's probably too conventionalized for you to get into.

trueee..

>Mostly the girls on here that get this album
ssoooo faaalse

Nah, I mean I dig it, it just seems like the kind of thing that would be shunned on this board.

>there isn't really anything weird or experimental
How about SCREAM?

This album gets particularly praised for indie/outsider cred, which means pretending. People don't need to do that on here.

That track lacks substance, it's just meant to be fun.

so you think it's not weird?

no, it's because grimes is the only true rebel left in "indie" or "rock." she destroyed the bland rock sound expected of indie, and became controversial for that reason. she forced everyone to see that the genre of rock was dead, the same way radiohead did with kid a and kanye with 808s. kid a ended up being accepted as an alternative rock album and the sound of the genre in the future ('00s), 808s ended up being accepted as a hip hop album and the sound of the genre in the future (today), but they did that by rejecting and destroying their existing genre. grimes' previous album visions did the same with indie- rejecting and destroying what was expected and replacing it with synth pop. again, it determined the future of the genre. today "indie" may suggest music that sounds like visions more than music like the national or arcade fire.

then with art angels, she rebelled again, this time against the new consensus (which she had popularized) that indie rock = dead. art angels was primarily rock-inspired. grimes rejected guitar in her previous songs, which were dreamy and poppy, but every single song on the first half of AA is guitar driven, and some are aggressive. that's equivalent to how Radiohead removed guitars and rock (their old signature) from most of the first half of Kid A, and Kanye removed rapping (his old signature) on most of 808s.

rock is grimes background, she grew up on metal alt industrial punk, and then she got into the punk scene and she ended up as part of a collective of experimental artists making ambient and noise music. over time, grimes and several of these artists realized that although it's very easy to make mu/core music in their sleep, that kind of indie isn't creative or risky, it's all been done. so these artists began moving toward pop- the kind of sounds that at that time, were rejected by mu, p4k and indie fans. then when a pop sound was finally accepted, grimes rejected it herself to make aggressive rock. true patrician.

I love it even though I actually hate Grimes. I mean Halfaxa was okay but Visions was awful and I can't stand her as a person and she really is hideous.

user i really like your honesty.

Why all the hate.

Superb album. AOTY 2015 for sure.

>she destroyed the bland rock sound expected of indie
are you fucking retarded

name a punk rock album made in your lifetime that was as ballsy and punk and truly experimental as art angels. protip: you can't.

all your punk and indie faves rely on comforting you with the sound you expect. only grimes challenges you.

It doesn't really do anything profound and takes an easy route by doing things that are mindlessly fun. It's doesn't feel important.

Well you're not important.

autism

Fuck you i like it: the album.

JANK

indie in 2010 = the national, arcade fire

grimes starts her career in 2010.
grimes moves toward pop in 2011.
grimes drops visions in 2012.
grimes becomes successful by 2013.
grimes song named decade best 2014.
grimes releases new album 2015.

indie in 2016 = still catching up to grimes, and now imitating the sound of her previous album while saying art angels (the next one they will soon imitate) is too pop

why do you think this album is so goddamn shitty?
i think it's because she refused to let men help her because of 'muh patriarchy' tbqh

Jenny Death now gtfo

>all your punk and indie faves rely on comforting you with the sound you expect. only grimes challenges you.
This is actually true. As she said
>I like to have at least one thing in a song that's a bit jarring, that throws people off.

indie rock =/= indie pop

>spending too much in those grimes threads
>overdramatizing
>exaggerating

You're right. I haven't felt important for months.

She's doing the right thing. Encores feel cheap most of the time. Better play the whole set at once in the same way a film is played.

yes, the point is quality indie rock does not exist anymore, because they've all gone indie electro pop imitating the previous version of grimes (which they dismissed at first, mostly) and meanwhile grimes is now making kickass rock music indie forgot or never knew how to make.

I was just joking, user. Don't say things like that.

Encores are thing because of good audiences. With hugely successful live acts though it's very cliche and expected.

She doesn't talk too much. Seriously, she barely mentions the song titles and a few words between songs. The total talking is less than 5 minutes at festivals and less than 10 minutes at her own shows.

no the point is they're two different genres, so she didn't change indie rock or even do anything new regardless of genre. she's a rip off of cocteau twins and cranes with modern tumblr aesthetics. and art angels is not a rock album

yeah she's obviously uncomfortable talking in that context, and that's what makes it so meaningful that she does try and says things that are less scripted and fake than others.