Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!jB0h3BKA!36ITFudC9P25d8tmiGYvvw
mega.nz/#F!5dgA1RwT!PGC6EjdDK2chjnpC8z7WYQ!VN4XFIbT
mega.nz/#F!6wZQDaJA!weGIKGtiXVd5NPt7AJBUmA
mega.nz/#F!5dgA1RwT!PGC6EjdDK2chjnpC8z7WYQ!5Jozma4R
mega.nz/#F!Dwd2TJIZ!p3o66BOnFLbkrFHFHldjrw!KklHhIDC
www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/NYAO/db/kanji/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vsZz_trkiRM9E15qHUptDXQYdPcbuXTWOw_j9fldD7g/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u2DrR7pK94vKTI0V4ZhWQLboTK1yYZ5MRPDnxPTvsds/edit#gid=0
kansaiben.com/
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/writing
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

デッド・ジャパニーズ・スレッド

At the point where one knows all the most common words in the language, where one has grammar mostly down pat, I think its at that point wherein language learning becomes the most difficult to really nail down, it becomes gorilla warfare, it's a transition from a honest head-on battle whererin any reading material is a worthy opponent to a war wherein every unknown word has to be chased down and slain, wherein one forgets more words than they encounter new, wherein classical Japanese rears its ugly head and cannot be ignored... it is within this gorilla warfare that the spirit of a Japanese learner is truly tested as they must expend their seething youth in labor for fluency through sheer exposure with nary a smile to be had as the relentless march towards native level continues unending into the murky twilight of upper-intermediate lower-advanced Japanese proficiency.

Recommended easy manga for beginners, from the raw manga thread over on Read this: (yotsubato)
mega.nz/#F!jB0h3BKA!36ITFudC9P25d8tmiGYvvw
Then this: (mitsuboshi colors)
mega.nz/#F!5dgA1RwT!PGC6EjdDK2chjnpC8z7WYQ!VN4XFIbT
Then this: (non non biyori)
mega.nz/#F!6wZQDaJA!weGIKGtiXVd5NPt7AJBUmA
mega.nz/#F!5dgA1RwT!PGC6EjdDK2chjnpC8z7WYQ!5Jozma4R
Then this: (yuru yuri)
mega.nz/#F!Dwd2TJIZ!p3o66BOnFLbkrFHFHldjrw!KklHhIDC

How bad/outdated is this?

A little dated.

Ditch Rosetta stone, it sucks.
Get Rikai IMMEDIATELY, don't wait until after you go through Genki.

The idea that you should play GBA games because they have no kanji is a severely outdated idea because it's actually harder to figure out what's going on without kanji since the language has so many homonyms. What you actually want is a game or manga that uses basic kanji only.

These are kanji that Japanese learn in primary school.
www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/NYAO/db/kanji/

教育漢字を覚えましょう

>depopulated threads
>no more zoiposting
>flags
>rampant shitposting
How long until DJT kicks the bucket?

Holy shit this thread was actually moved?

Depressing

いつまでもがんばるぞい!
Basically, I agree with . It suggests a lot of subpar resources, and, even though it was clearly written for Sup Forums, retro games are bad reading practice material any way you look at it.

The rampant shitposting isn't because of the flags, it's because of people who don't like the flags. It will go away once they fuck off and the threads will increase in quality, albeit still be slower.

What's the best j>j dictionary in terms of usability?

I can't stop using Jisho because it just has such a nice layout

>almost a full hour since OP
>only 13 posts
It's already dead to me.

Why did this part make me laugh so hard? It's funny.

応援してます

How do you guys manage studying Japanese and school (if you're in school)?
I'll be in post-sec next year and I'm already estimating that I'll have no time for Japanese.

By not being a little bitch

I work for 9 hours a day and translate in my freetime and I still get time in for studying nip

I have a full time job and I manage to do it, grow a pair

On the other hand, if you manage to find a game script for a retro game, it can be a fantastic resource. Not everyone is crazy about manga or VNs and I can understand wanting to feel some progress, even if it's just via gameplay.

List of video game scripts:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vsZz_trkiRM9E15qHUptDXQYdPcbuXTWOw_j9fldD7g/edit?usp=sharing

Starter video game vocab list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u2DrR7pK94vKTI0V4ZhWQLboTK1yYZ5MRPDnxPTvsds/edit#gid=0

>How do you guys manage studying Japanese and school
Keeping a constant pace during the whole year is impossible for me. In the busiest months I only have time to read something and maybe do some reps on weekends but that's it.
I wish I had learned Japanese when I was 14, eh.

Time that can be spent taking a break is time that can be spent learning Japanese.
Time that can be spent posting on Sup Forums is time that can be spent learning Japanese.
Time that can be spent sleeping is time that can be spent learning Japanese (although i probably wouldn't go that far).

You always have time to learn a language. Come up with a schedule for yourself or something.

I've had a full-time job before so I know it's easy to get studying done after work, but school requires homework and studying when you get home.

there are a few epwing dictionaries in the CoR, you can grab one of those
I prefer Daijirin because the definitions are generally uncomplicated
save it somewhere then install ebwin and plug in the catalogs file
end result is something along the lines of pic related

if you're just looking for a japanese definition every once in a while then you can use weblio or kotobank or w/e online but their interfaces are pretty lacking

Thanks for the input bros.

Instead of having two dead Japanese threads, just assimilate with

There are phone apps available for flashcards to practice and podcasts you can listen to while commuting / before bed / while otherwise doing chores, just off the top of my head.

If something is truly important to you, you'll make the time needed.

It's only been a few days and already some of the people on that thread are complaining about us, tho. If it's an ongoing thing I'm sure it will get annoying with the sheer amount of questions we will inevitably ask.

Melting pots are bad

Just think of all the countless years of traditions and memes both djt and that thread have gone through

片言の日本語しか書けないのくせに初心者を馬鹿にする奴らと交ざる?遠慮。

こいつ日本語ぜんっぜん書けんわw

That's bullshit.
You need far more than a thousand hours of reading to be "pro".
A thousand hour is basically, if you study/ read/ anki 3 hours a day only a year.

Dragon Quest IX (NDS) has kanji+furigana. The resolution is a bit low, though, so it can be difficult to deciper some characters. Still, a very enjoyable way to acquire readings/vocab through context for the intermediate learner.

You can do anki on any device that's equipped with a web browser.

You can't learn Japanese through doing anki alone

you dont learn japanese by looking at flashcards

you dont need to learn it but be with it every single day. learning a language isnt finishing tasks but living with it over years or decades

そのスレは必ず役に立たなかった。
文句して大口を叩いてばかりで、習うためにじゃないよ。

Anki and anime are all you need.

>you don't learn japanese by studying vocab and grammar
Not in it's entirety no, but considering they have a serious lack of time, any study is better than none.

When they actually have the time to properly read shit in the future, it will be easier because they managed to fit something in beforehand.

30 minutes of reading is better than 30 minutes of looking at lame flashcards

lick my shiny boots if you think otherwise

If someone doesn't have much time they shouldn't be prioritising flashcards, they should be reading or listening to shit with a little bit of anki on the side if there's time for it

Don't disrespect flashcards faggot. Anki is amazing for maintaining what you already learned.

He won't have already learned anything if he's just doing anki all the time though

we're talking in the context of people with little time to study

always prioritize reading and listening over slimy memorization software

That's personal preference and we're kind of splitting hairs at this point.

Again, anything is better than nothing. When you're on the run or just plain tired, it's harder to use dictionary lookups, unless you have a tool to make it easy for you.

A better discussion would be suggestions for mobile reading apps?

ありがとう!

>slimy
Did the creator of Anki molest your daughter or something? If you have little time you should maintain what you know at the very least before expanding.

返事しなくてもいいと思ったけど返事する。何その言い方?文法的な誤りがあるなら何か言え (´-ω-`)
このスレ?わからないから初心者の俺がわかるように説明してください

30 minutes of "reading" isn't worth shit when you've just started and only know 10 words.

It's not personal preference, it's the facts, consuming native material will always be a better use of your time than doing flashcards

Anki should be on the bottom of the priority list unless you're already a nippongo master who only needs rare vocabs

If you're on the run or just plain tired you can listen to podcasts, JapanesePod101 is great because they're short and simple, my listening comprehension has sky rocketed since I've started working because I just listen to that shit constantly

「書けないのくせに」じゃなくて「書けないくせに」ですね

>That's personal preference
no it's a matter of effectiveness

anyway for mobile reading any image viewer works

that's a stupid approach to learning
no progress gets made if all you do is review what you already know

im not going to argue with that but is that really the context here

わかりました!ありがとう

First review, then expand. That way you don't forget what you previously learned. What's so retarded about that?

>Again, anything is better than nothing. When you're on the run or just plain tired, it's harder to use dictionary lookups, unless you have a tool to make it easy for you.
I posit that if you're hard pressed for time then surely you'd want to use the most effective method(s), even if you have to strain yourself physically/mentally.

Expanding has the reviewing part built into it

Not really. You might be learning words that have nothing to do with what you learned previously

this is kind of like the chicken and egg problem
did the anki word come first or did the sentence you read it in come first
rationally speaking it would be "expand first, then review"
but like says you can't really expand without reviewing at the same time considering you'll always be running into grammatical structures you've seen once or twice before and words you sort of half-know
so when time is precious it makes perfect sense to throw out flashcards altogether imo

>you don't learn Japanese
sad but true

Japanese isn't just about grinding vocab, it's about getting used to the concept of reading in general, the layout of Japanese text and how Japanese grammar works, especially at the beginner level

I've read 日常, あずまんが大王 and currently I'm on the third volume of キノの旅, what do you guys recommend me to jump next to?

A speeding train

the fourth volume of キノの旅

スレ=thread
役に立つ=usefull
文句する=to complain
大口をたたく=to brag
~てばかり = is nothing but

New Game

Oh you

What?

>he still can't watch anime without subtitles

(笑)

Hoshi no Samidare is nice for a stab at different dialects, mainly Kansai-ben, and some older Japanese. I used kansaiben.com/ when I read it.

People who actually know Japanese and have any taste in VNs aren't going to hang around here, head over to the VN thread on /jp/ or the disguised DJT thread on Sup Forums for these kind of posts.

>he still can't watch anime without subtitles
>he makes fun of other people who can't watch anime without subtitles so he doesn't feel alone

>he still can't watch anime without subs while shitposting in multiple threads at the same time

>reading some lame beginner garbage
>taste in VNs
>VNs
>taste
warawaseru na

you know what I mean man

何も大口を叩かない。初心者(このスレの大半)を馬鹿にする奴らと混ざりたくないの理由を言い表したかっただけだ。それダ・ケ

>混ざりたくないの理由
何気ない顔して連体形に「の」をつけるのはやめんかい

>6 days till the JLPT

We can't even have VN discussions anymore because we don't have spoiler tags.

>romaji is bad at line 1
>nama-sensei is good at line 2
Well, I would certainly never recommend this guide to any romance language speaker.

(Learn romaji!)

I'm pretty sure the occasional VN in the raw manga thread is fine, certainly better than staying here

(沈黙)話が通じる。また誤りを直してくれてありがとう

いい気持ちキムチ。

When did the djt move? Was it the gook jew's bidding?

Who the fuck is Tony and what do they want with his cock?

>Why is it a bad idea to use romaji?
>Do I really have to learn BOTH hiragana and katakana? I heard katakana wasn't used much.

For starters:
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/writing

>there are multiple versions of systems trying to romanize Japanese, none are exactly the same

The word Rōmaji itself should be a big hint. That - above the o indicates a long vowel sound, but if you don't know the kana in words like that, it can be confusing how to ACTUALLY spell it. For words like 大きい - is it Oki? Ookii? Ôkî? Ōkī? Another problem with this ambiguity is that ji / di / chi / zu / dzu / du will confuse you, because they're not consistent at all. And yes, some words REQUIRE you to make the distinction.

Then we get into the homophones, without kanji you would have a hard time keeping all the kaerus apart. Hashi can be both bridge and chopsticks. Hell, even if you learned just the kana, reading kana alone is typically really difficult without kanji to help aid in context.

Authors will also change the "usual" way of writing something down at random - they use katakana on certain words for emphasis, or to help break up a long block of hiragana, making it easier to read. What if an ESL told you they could only read lower case letters because they never bothered to learn the capitals? It just doesn't make sense.

Don't use romaji as a crutch, it very well could create problems in the long run. There is a world of resources out there and you're limiting yourself from using some of the better ones if you don't learn to read properly in the first place; you're not -really- getting ahead like you think you are.

Is there a list of video games that stick to the Kyoiku kanji, or anime that mostly sticks to the most common 1000-2000 words?

> good enough to watch most Media with 90-100% comprehension/ Can read decent amount of LN's without a dictionary
>Cant get myself to produce at all cause it will come out like shit

黄色人種

the anglo problem www

Surprise, surprise, to be good at different skills you have to practice them separately. If your passive vocabulary / understanding of grammar is really that great, it won't be too hard to catch up with your active.

youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

>キノの旅
Good taste
Spice and Wolf might be worth a shot

So I guess this thread is gonna be less "daily" and more "whenever the fuckfaces on Sup Forums don't sage it out of existence.

Please don't die /djt/. If it wasn't for this general i wouldn't be learning moon.

Bunch of reverse-engineered "problems".

There is no difference in difficulty between memorizing "ooki" and "おおき" - both are dependent on speech and follow a case-by-case analysis. It is possible to romanize japanese with 100% of consistency and zero ambiguity.
Of course multiple systems exist, but they don't overlap. A system that uses tu doesn't use tsu and vice-versa.
The "o" written without duplication or without the macron is not proper romanization, and it's the same as Japanese writing foreigner's names with katakana.

Also there is no phonetic regularity in "さしすせそ", thus romaji is not to blame for problems like du/dzu/zu.

>Don't use romaji as a crutch
Agreed. But don't go thinking romaji is ダメ because your local priest said so, that just makes you one writing system less literate. Romaji is useful for IME input, dictionary searches (when you're too lazy to switch keyboards), writing about Japanese subjects in your own language and also looking up such terms in western websites. Plenty of anime titles are written as romanized versions rather than translations, so there's that too.

DJT is dead.

Long live DJT.

Stop projecting please

Guess ill start just writing logs to myself to get my active vocab up