they called it South Virginia for some reason

drinking song

Comfy hills and shit. Shame they're poor

worst virginia, probably

It's one of the whitest states though

>"white" trash is white

Come home white man.

unironically the my favourite state

appalachia is a bastion of white american folk culture, it may be dirt poor but i'd rather live there than among the endless cultureless suburbia in the midwest etc.

i think americans get too bogged down in stereotypes and snobbery to see that some of the most looked down upon people in america have the deepest roots and the most interesting cultural nuances

It's better than Kentucky

West Virginia is poorer than any nigger area and still has a lower violent crime rate below the national average.

MUH NIGGERS ARE ONLY SHIT BECAUSE OF POVERTY FAGS BTFO

Disgusting white people

Looks South Africa.

interesting comment there friend

>poorest white area still safer than any black or spic area

cannot make this shit up

Thank you, in America, places where it's either 100% white or 100% black are always shitty, a good 50/50 is best, that's why we rule the world.

Shut up poop skin

Lived 5 years in that state, have a love-hate relationship with it. The most beautiful place in the country, hands down. Also has tons of fun /out/doors stuff: hiking, rock climbing, bouldering, white water rafting, caving, etc. The biggest thing I didn't like was the small-town politics.

You took my bait, now shut up cuck

>small town politics
Elaborate

>hurr I was only pretending!
kys

shit, wrong pic. This is the New River Gorge Bridge, I lived about fifteen minutes from it. Every October they shut down the bridge (normally a highway) and make it a pedestrian area. Food trucks and little shops are set up all over the place. Throughout the entire day base jumpers jump off the bridge and parasail down the gorge. Usually the jumpers number in the triple digits. It's ridiculously fun.

Pittsburgh, Paris of Appalachia. The beautiful scenery of the Appalachian mountains combined with a thriving tech and healthcare industry. Come live here, we don't get enough immigrants or births to replace the people that die and move.

Pretty much what you would expect. There's really two sides to it: the first one is how they treat outsiders. It varies from community to community, but in some places if even your parents were born outside the county (county, not country) you're "not from around here". Like I said I was there for five years in one of the more open parts of the state, and I was still always seen as a newcomer. When you have traditions and family lines that go back for generations, and the Smiths have always lived next door to the Borsmans, it's really hard for an outsider to fit in.

But even beyond that people get all up in each others business in a small town. There's no privacy: as soon as one person knows, the whole town knows. Everyone's "close" with someone else and the web spreads across the whole community. You get older folks telling younger folks they're not even related to who they should marry, people gossiping about the exact amount of money Mrs. X has saved up or "whatever happened to that little Wainwright boy, he seemed so nice". And everything one person does is reflected onto their relatives and close friends, so if little Billy Wainwright shot himself with his daddy's shotgun because he was getting bullied at school, now everyone in the Wainwright family is treated like shit for it.

most people recognize they have a really distinct and rich culture, its just that also most people rightfully see they are just a bunch of impoverished hicks.

And also I am glad a European finally realized that suburbs are different by region. The suburbs in the Northeast aren't endless sprawls and are actually based around towns.

At least it's not Mississippi.

It's white

>Pittsburgh
Hell, I'd move there if UPitts or Carnegie Mellon gives me a position.

Btwn, isn't even Philly having low population growth compared to other major cities? Seems like PA is kinda shrinking

>Upitts
It's just Pitt lmao. I don't know about Philadelphia. What do you teach?

PhD on BME

My paternal grandparents were from there! I never been in The USA but i definitely want to see this state in the future