/sino/

雪景 edition

Resources for learning Mandarin:
learnnc.org/lp/pages/6427
resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/pronunciation/
resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/
mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php
gloss.dliflc.edu
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zhongwen-chinese-english/kkmlkkjojmombglmlpbpapmhcaljjkde

Resources for learning Cantonese:
guidetocantonese.wordpress.com/start/
cantonese.sheik.co.uk/
cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cantonese-popup-dictionar/pjnbhojkojmibobcpfgihhnohboldhip

Best smartphone dictionary (supports both Mandarin and Cantonese): pleco.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Confuciuss-Analects-Advanced-Chinese-Language/dp/1589016351/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticize_Lin,_Criticize_Confucius
youtu.be/TJcol3SJ6ww?t=68
youtu.be/SYnIBxLsPAQ?t=10
youtube.com/watch?v=X2goYUJpq9k
case.edu/affil/tibet/moreTibetInfo/documents/Bilingual4.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want to study abroad in China to learn the language for business(plan on getting MBA and finance undergrad). My schools program is linked with a really good school for this in Shanghai, and what seems like an obscure school in hongkong. Although this is the case, I really really want to study in hongkong. It looks like such an amazing, dense city. When I look at videos of shanghai, it looks more boring and just doesn't seem to have the same personality. Is this true, or is this just from videos I have seen?

Both cities are nice, while Shanghai definitely has a lot of business opportunities and such, Hong Kong still probably has the edge here, as it's considered one of the world's foremost economic powerhouses, along with NYC and London.

But, if you're wanting to learn Mandarin Shanghai is definitely the better option, whereas if you're wanting to learn Cantonese, Hong Kong is. In the end, it's more so dependent on which language you want to study. Both cities are great.

Shanghai seems just as crowded as HK tbqh. There's a lot of fun to be had in Shanghai especially if you make friends (and it's really easy to become friends with Chinese people if you approach them in Chinese/show an interest in Chinese language/culture).

t. lived in Shanghai and visited HK

I'm still thinking about a learning method.
Is getting an easy text and looking up characters and writing them down good a idea?

Is it like this pic? looks so comfy..

It's all about finding the method that works for you. Try a few different things and see what works best. Some people prefer Anki sentence decks, other people textbooks, etc.

The rain makes that gif quite comfy.

I wanted to ask,did they make a version of the old texts with simplified characters?

Which texts? If you're talking about things like the Analects of Confucius, Sunzi's Art of War, etc there are simplified Chinese versions of all of them, that's how mainland Chinese study them, with the simplified character versions.

Was asking about those.
I don't know if I should feel guilty about using a simplified text.
But if the PRC uses it then it can't be that bad.

It's not really a big deal imo, the sentence structure/meaning is exactly the same, but it's just simplified characters that are used. The only time when people tend to care about using traditional instead of simplified characters is when doing calligraphy, and sometimes stores or companies will prefer to write their name in traditional.

Thanks.
I really liked reading Confucius.
He was alwasy staged as this mythical figure who said a bunch of wise stuff.
Most of the people here have really basic knowledge of him.
>he was chinese
>he was wise

But honestly,his philosophy is dead simple.
I like his sense of duty and politeness.

But I speak from translation only.

I still haven't read much Confucius myself actually. I have this textbook: amazon.com/Confuciuss-Analects-Advanced-Chinese-Language/dp/1589016351/

which you might find interesting at some point. I plan on reading through it in a few months, it takes important sections of the Analects and breaks them down with vocabulary/grammar explanations.

On an unrelated note, did you know that there were anti-Confucius campaigns during the Cultural Revolution?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticize_Lin,_Criticize_Confucius

凡战者,以正合,以奇胜。故善出奇者,无穷如天地,不竭如江河,终而复始,日月是也;死而复生,四时是也。声不过五,五声之变,不可胜听也。色不过五,五色之变,不可胜观也。味不过五,五味之变,不可胜尝也。战势不过奇正,奇正之变,不可胜穷也。奇正相生,如循环之无端,孰能穷之哉

I have read the Annalects and a sort of remake of the annalects.
Both were good.
I also read a few pages from the Si Ching (I don't really know how it's written,hungarian often differs from pinyin)
But poetry isn't really worth mentioning when translated.
The only critique of confucius I have read was Lin Yutang's but I took that with a pinch of salt,since so many things have changed since 1936.

>a sort of remake
>inb4 伪经

Well I finished my first drama in chinese. Time to just chill and listen to podcasts only understanding 70% of what is said for a while.

>understanding 70%
>only
how long have you been in this user?

Not too long, but when I say 70% I mean like 70% of words about half of which are either 那个 or 就是. It's more like 5% of full sentences.

I love this thread even though my mandarin is awful

youtu.be/TJcol3SJ6ww?t=68

>that accent

aahhhh dutch user i miss you so bad

>supposed to be giving a presentation to class on thurs about the 新疆问题
>spent all day dicking around and not getting work done

her friends were better

>matter at hand:dissertation

why do you non-chink people like CHINARRRRR so much? your first girlfriend that you lost your virginity to an ugly chink girl or something?

third world subhuman people that have already developed a superiority complex similar to japan and korea, except they don't have the country to back it up.

youtu.be/SYnIBxLsPAQ?t=10

二喜 a shit, and I can barely remember her other friends

We're all secretly neo-Maoists and CCP members working to reduce Japanese imageboard influence.

show me the connotative difference between subhuman and untermensch pls
and plead

>neo-Maoists
catastrophically thickheaded

Isn't it a bad idea to choose 上海 since most people speak 滬語 on the street?

You actually hear Shanghainese on the street less than you'd expect because a lot of Shanghai residents come from other provinces. Beijing is probably the best choice, but it looks like he only can choose between Shanghai and HK. And I guess it's more dependent on if you want your Mandarin to sound more northern or southern.

>tfw have a classmate with an amazing northern accent

凡用兵,胜有三等:若兵未起而错法,错法而俗成,俗成而用具。此三者必行于境内,而后兵可出也。行三者有二势:一曰辅法而法行;二曰举必得而法立。故恃其众者谓之葺,恃其备饰者谓之巧,恃誉目者谓之轴。此三者恃一,因其兵可禽也。故曰强者必刚其斗意:斗则力尽,力尽则备。是故无敌于海内。治行则货积,货积则赏能重矣。赏壹则爵尊,爵尊则赏能利矣。故曰:兵生于治而异,俗生于法而万转,过势本于心而饰于备势。三者有论,故强可立也。是以强者必治,治者必强;富者必治,治者必富;强者必富,富者必强。故曰治强之道三,论其本也

its getting eliminated forcefully by ccp(schools,media etc)

citation needed

not taught in school
no tv program in shanghaiese
it sounds muhh better than mandarin imo much softer

>not taught in school
I believe neither cockney nor geordie are

>no tv program in shanghaiNese
there're bunches of locally

any taiwanese here?

Today is a pretty good day.
Managed to get 3 chinese books.
Sadly translations but still pretty good.

At heart

if that was enough I could just talk to myself

>wanting to be chinese

even nowadays there are some chinese genetically highly similar to you youself you know

that's not exactly what we said, but sure

I just like Chinese food
It was one of the main things that crossed my mind when internally debating if I should study Chinese or not

i know they teach welsh in school, yet how about cockney and geordie please

Lots of Cockneys are moving out of London to Essex where the accent is turning into an amalgamation of Cockney and post-war Essex dialect and it's being replaced with Multicultural London English

Geordie is doing fine because there's no immigrants from abroad or other parts of the country

my question seems remain unanswered or were you suggesting the necessity?

of yeah I didn't properly read that question
Welsh is a completely seperate language from English. The government of the United Kingdom is only responsible for Education in England. The Welsh government is responsible for education in Wales. It is the same with Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Cockney and Geordie aren't taught in schools. Even though there is no regulator of British English, the grammar taught is the same throughout the country. It's just that the accent of the teacher will be different.

Even then, someone from Inverness would be able to have a conversation with people from Oxford, Leeds, Penzance, Cardiff and Derry with no difficulty whatsoever, and the other people would have no trouble either.

>welsh is a celtic language
learned something new today

They still teach Uyghur and other minority languages in Xinjiang though right?

No because muzzshits need to be eradicated

Fuck off Nazi, Muslims are our friends

Not really in schools, children mostly learn it from their parents. Uyghurs' Mandarin level depends on their education level. I had an Uyghur friend who spoke basic Mandarin but couldn't read Chinese, only Uyghur.

Bump

is the r final in 二 etc pronounced more like the english r than the r initial is?

Managed to get a copy of the Jin Ping Mei,the autobiography of the last emperor and a small collection of Pu Songling's mystery/ghost stories

Taiwan

feels_goodman.jpg

did u kno that chinese football released a new single 2day

youtube.com/watch?v=X2goYUJpq9k

There are three ethnic minorities education model in Xinjiang according to case.edu/affil/tibet/moreTibetInfo/documents/Bilingual4.pdf
>The major bilingual education system since the 1950s has been structured as follows: all courses are taught in minority languages, plus Mandarin course as the
second language (4-5 hours per week), Uyghur, Kazak, Tajik, Kirghiz students attend the schools in this model. By the end of 2005, 97 percent of minority students (1,189,456 students) still study in the model.
>The second model has designed for Xibo and some Mongolian students. The mother tongue is used in primary school plus Mandarin course, the Mandarin is the
teaching language in middle and high schools. By the end of 2005, only 0.1 percent of minority students (1,271 students) enrolled in this model.
>The third model has been in practice since 2004, a group of course in humanities
(language and literature, moral education, history, geography) is taught in mother
tongue, another group of courses (mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and English) is taught in Mandarin. By the end of 2005, about 2.9 percent of minority
students (35,948 students) enrolled in this model.
>But this new model has been enforced by the government and can be expected to develop in the future.

With regard to the third model, according to some recent Chinese source, it is still only accessible to less than 1% ethnic minorities in Southern Xinjiang which is home to most of ethnic Uyghurs despite of over ten-year enforcement.

The same as r in ar, er, or in American English

我是男人

你是同志人