/lang/ Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards
Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
linguti.com/
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Literature_by_origin#Middle_East
quran.com/41
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

spanish

Forgot these links:

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

What resources are you using?

Finnish

Interesting, why Finnish?

learn icelandic

Korean.
정말 어렵다.
한국어 수업 받고 싶다, 근데 대학교에 한국어 수업을 없다.

How does Hebrew look?

איך נראית עברת?

Why not, can you recommend some good series or music?

Damn son making progress.

Javanese

Working on nihongo but being lazy about it, and I know I'm going to be really busy next year : (

Practicing my Türkçe wherever/whenever I can, mostly expanding vocab and sharpening grammar. I'm close to finishing the Ukrainian tree on Duolingo, and I have a conversational class next semester, so hopefully I'll have some considerable skill with that language by May.

Aynı anda kaç dil öğreniyorsun?

To shitpost or to not shitpost that's the question.

learn brazilian portuguese

That's next on my list, for sure.

Why?

I'm interested in the culture.

If you're interested, I'll recommend you some brazilian books

Thanks appreciate it.

Pic related.

I personally admire the "getting annexed" part of Ukrainian culture

Üç. Türkçe, portekizce, ve ukraynaca öğreniyorum. Türkçem sadece pratik ediyorum çünkü neredeyse bütün grameri öğrendim (bu için bazen Kazakistan Haber ve /tr/ okuyorum). Oğuz diller olarak biraz azerice ve türkmence hakkında okudum, ama onları öğrenmiyorum.
Bence portekizce çok kolay bir dil çünkü hala ispanyolca biliyorum, ama biraz portekizcedeki gramer ispanyolcadan farklı (böylece Duolingo'daki kursu yapıyorum).
Ukraynaca öğreniyorum çünkü üniversitedeki arkadaşım ukraynalı ve dili konuşabilir. I figured I might as well take advantage of that, y'know? (didn't know how to form that last part in türkçe, also sorry if the rest of my post is wrong)

Türkçeniz çok iyi, kendinizi bunca farklı dilde de geliştirmişsiniz hakikaten tebrikler.

Çok teşekkür ederim :)

Nei, dere forstår meg jo uansett

Valeu

most Icelanders don't understand spoken Scandinavian m8

>impliserer at jeg snakker med folk

I'll try to upload the books on Mediafire

You don't have to thanks for the pic.

Make a duolingo course for it and I'll learn

I know several people have offered to do it but Duolingo hasn't accepted it into the incubator

did any of you guys used linguti?
>linguti.com/

... I used to, but I found some gramatical errors in their lessons, or atleast I think I found them; so I would like to hear your opinions.

Good god Duolingo does some retarded shit, Klingon is okay but an actual language isn't lmao

I think the real problem is not to create a course, but to be sure you're "professional" and more important, to have moderators helping users and improving the course all the time

For which language you found the errors?

for german, I don't remember the examples, but there was like 3 I found, and at the very beginning... you know what? I going to look for them...

here... I found the first one, according to me it should be "Ich habe einen roten Apfel" because "Apfel" is masculine, and in the Linguti's sentence is written like if it was neutral

are you stupid or what? oh wait....you're MEXICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahah!
Apfel is masculine, always always.

Nice catch, more reason why one should never stick to a single resource.

Damn that little girl is not pretty

You are correct. It should be "Ich habe einen roten Apfel."

I don't know where you learned your basics but there is literally nothing wrong with that sentence

what about this one, doesn't supposed to be "der Mann hat eine rote Erdbeere" and not "rotes"?

Just learning mandarin. I'm incapable of getting motivation to learn reasonable languages for some reason. Next will probably be hindi or some shit

"Der Mann hat eine rote Erdbeere" would be correct, yes
You should probably stop using that website/service

I tried to learn Italian but I'm too dumb and dropped it.
I tried to learn Swedish but I'm too dumb and I dropped it, I even bought a notebook to write down all I was learning there.
I tried to learn Norwegian but I'm too dumb.
I tried learning Polish but then again, I'm dumb as a brick.
I tried, god, I tried to learn German but I just wasn't capable.
And finally I tried learning Russian but once again, I failed.

I'm useless.

But user you have it in you like all of us, just daily practice is all you need.

This one goes for you too

really makes you think

Go back to Italian and Swedish. It's really just a matter of practice, literally nothing to do with intelligence.

if you know English Norwegian is one of the easiest languages there are
and if you know Spanish supposedly Italian is really easy too

learning a language is hard and takes a long ass time usually but if 3 year olds can do it then so can you

thanks user, you have been really helpful... but, just to finish out:

I know this one is really picky, but since Linguti is very strict at grammar I just couldn't avoid it. Also I must admit I'm not really sure in this one

According to me this sentence is well writen, but "ihre" should be written with a capital "I" in order to mean "(formal) you", otherwise it means hers or theirs, which makes the possible answers all wrong (also the same mistake appears when you have to write the translation of said sentence)

You're right.
"ihre Nationalität" can mean her nationality,
"Ihre Nationalität" means your nationality.
But i'm not actually sure if "Ihre" has to be capitalized or not. I always assumed it's just done out of respect or something.

got it, I suppose is just a formality, but no one pays attention to this in informal text

>What language are you learning?
French. Will pick up Italian as it's likely I'll go there for a month or so, even though I don't think it's optimal learning two languages at once.
>Share language learning experiences!
I had four years of French in high school and I found it a chore, but recently I fell in love with it and I'm studying on my own. I'm currently using duolingo and the Michel Thomas method but I'd also like to go through a grammar book soon.

Anyway, does anyone know how or where do I find a penpal? Is interpals a good site for it or is it just good to fish women around the world like they do in the general?

italki.com is alright

There's little point to Interpals unless you can find a French person who is unwilling to speak English or you can pretend you don't. Try lang8 or hellotalk

Anyone got an arabic one of these?

Thanks, I'll look into it.
>unless you can find a French person who is unwilling to speak English
I thought maybe a French person who wants to learn Spanish could work? I had a friend who went on exchange to France and got a penpal who wrote him in Spanish and he wrote him in French, and they'd correct eachother and all.

The /lit/ wiki has recommended reading sections based on countries but I don't know how useful it might be to you:
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Literature_by_origin#Middle_East

Not what you're looking for, but if you're interested in CA/MSA, look this up:
quran.com/41
It gives a translation for every single word, which is pretty useful.

Literally the 2 most useless languages one could learn, go back to German and Russian instead, you'll thank me later.

I'm going to learn Polish in future and there is nothing you can do about it :^)

No, but you should check the /lit/ wiki

school nigga
mcdonalds wont even hire me until i speak mexico

just a few corrections:
türkçe sadece pratik yapıyorum............. (buNUN için)
oğuz diller*i*
"already" burada "hala" değil. "zaten" ya da "halihazırda" demen gerekir.

ama portekizcedeki gramer ispanyolcadakinden biraz farklı

>böylece Duolingo'daki kursu yapıyorum)
i don't understand the purpose of "böylece" here.

"bundan yararlanabileceğimi düşündüm, anlarsın ya?" (tho "anlarsın ya" would sound cringy, just to warn you)

but you are pretty good if you aren't depending on translator very much for words.

Sağolun.
In English I meant to say:
"...but Portuguese grammar is a bit different from Spanish (so I'm doing the course on Duolingo [to learn those differences])."
I'm used to using 'böylece' to mean 'so' or 'thus'. Is that not the correct usage?
Thanks again!

Are you a nigga, my nigga?

French

Bonjouuur ça va

Actually learning Korean... My oral suck so much ;(
Also I'm not a kdrama/kpop fan... So what could I use to be exposed to korean daily ?

Ça va bien et toi?

Comment j'apprends le français?

C'est difficile. Merci!

Good choice. Great knowledge, understanding and wife will come to you but only if you keep up with it.

Literally most relevant language after English.

Personally learning Japanese once I get my life in condition.

German
Hearing bad things happening there upsets me even though it shouldn't

Why are you living in Korea without knowing the language

English teacher?

appreciate these threads m8

I really wish there was a natural language for English people to learn, there's too many to choose from. I like Portuguese though so I might give that a go, getting the motivation to give it a proper go is the hard part.

>posting from Korea
>asks how to be exposed to korean daily

...breh...

if you cant be bothered to go outside then turn on the tv and watch some 한국기행

>My oral suck so much
i'll let you practice on me ;)

IKTF. What makes it worse is after a few false starts you know your brain is going to kick in and start suggesting other cool languages to learn.

"Bro spainish is going to be more useful"
"Have you seen how cool arabic looks, always going to be a valuable language?"
"I heard Mandarin is surprisingly easy"
"Italian women are qts"

Fuck i hate my brain at times.

Pretty much exactly how it goes, even the Italian qts

>a natural language for English people to learn
It's called French guys.

Is anyone here learning a constructed language?

Ĉu iu ĉi tie nun lernas planlingvon?

jan lon ni li kama sona e toki sin anu seme?

Why is that the natural language to learn? I'm not saying it isn't but why French rather than Spanish or German?

Because England has never been under Spanish or German influence. France is also its closest relevant neighbour and has the closest language in terms of vocabulary...

That's the historical argument, yes, and it's why French was considered as a status symbol in Britain not that long ago, with many people of the higher classes being fluent in French (I believe the Queen might have a good level of French). Moving forward though, it's hard to argue that French is the most relevant language for us to learn. I think the institute for foreign languages lists German as the most important due to the economy of Germany.

Mi lernis esperanton antaŭ multe da jaroj

mi ete studis tokiponon ankaŭ kaj povas kompreni ĝin iomete sed ne povas skribi ĝin

mi provis studi loĵbanon sed mi ne sufiĉe aŭtismis por daŭri

Norwegian is the easiest. (Fuck France but France>VikangzNShieeb *Rapes*)

Most Germans already speak English though. Even those who don't will give it a try to help you.
Besides French is way easier.

The funny thing is that Theresa May was speaking to the leader of Poland and they both said that we should be teaching Polish in schools because it's the 2nd most common first language in the UK now. Good luck getting an education system that has been an abject failure when teaching easy languages to teach Polish.

So? It's a choice. Poles that actually have an education are okay.

>you know your brain is going to kick in and start suggesting other cool languages to learn.
That's how I feel about anything that isn't English. It's like this
>dude i should learn Japanese it's so cool, just start with hiragana and then learn the whole language
>ok i know hiragana, i'm bored now, how about korean that sounds cool
>actually fuck that, i'll never live in asia anyway
>italian is pretty neat
>fuck this language now i remember why i hate french
>i should stick to germanic languages, how about dutch?
>boring, it's basically just a dialect of german
>i should just improve my english, that's probably for the best

I like Poles, but I fail to see how 'teaching' Polish in schools is an idea that will benefit anyone. It's a tough language, which will be taught as an afterthought in the national curriculum that already fails miserably to teach French, Spanish and German. Just like how my friends sister is 'learning' Japanese. Our education systems not only fails to effectively teach languages but actually puts people off from learning them later in life.

>Nunca voy a hablar con fluidez en español...

That was like me. Except it sucks here because we get zero exposure to second languages growing up. Even french out here is like a whatever type thing and is almost never seen. Chinese is more common now in Vancouver. So I started with Japanese like everyone that is sick of french and how pretentious it sounds and gave up on that and now Ich lerne Deutsch. Not bad so far but I'm not even A1 and I'm losing some momentum.

You've studied Uyghur? Tell us about your experiences. I have a few textbooks for it at the moment, courtesy of both the /lang/ google docs and a /sino/ thread from a while back, and I have studied Turkish quite a bit, so I'm planning on studying it at some point.

Only studying the basics right now since I'm pretty busy with final exams for college and such, but I hope to do some serious study of it in the next few weeks. When I lived in Shanghai I often went to this one Uyghur restaurant and the Uyghurs there were pretty friendly and taught me some words, so I decided I want to start actually studying it. When I head back to Shanghai for a few days later this month, I hope to be able to speak in basic Uyghur with them.

>try and find him!

Why is this acceptable to say in English, but when you make the sentence in past tence it ends up like this?

>I tried to find him

Lazyness?