Why do people burn it down?

Why do people burn it down?

Other urls found in this thread:

atlasobscura.com/articles/some-arsonists-have-already-destroyed-the-2016-gavle-goat
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gävle_goat
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because the Yule is about sun worship
/thread

It's short lived and burns

Because Ikea doesn't make good walls

its like the myth of sisyphus

Jews hiding in it

haram

I thought burning it was a tradition?

its a big goat

the real question is: why they keep rebuilding it?

Did the current one survive the car crash with little damage or this is a third one now?

It just happened to be the subject to vandalisation a couple of years in a row and it became a fad.

atlasobscura.com/articles/some-arsonists-have-already-destroyed-the-2016-gavle-goat says there are no plans to rebuild it

that article says it costs $249,900 to build that damn thing, so maybe you should burn the people that insist on spending that money on such shit instead

But it's always been illegal to burn down the goat. It just happened for a couple of years in a row and people decided — very much against the law — to keep trying to burn it down. The act is categorised as arson and you will be required to pay a massive fee. It's just usually very difficult to catch the people that do burn it down.

That article was the first one that burned on 27 Nov.

Then they put up a second, smaller one that was hit by a car 5 Dec.

And now, on the webcam, there is one again, so I was wondering if it's the same one that wasn't damaged so bad by the car or if they built a third one.

because otherwise after a few years these things would be all over the place and nobody could walk around or anything

also next year i recommend an ice sculpture version

well shit, google lied to me

it's shit. fuck your goat and fuck your government

i'd prefer the mayor himself told everyone that there will be a burning down celebration
Dec 23rd or Dec 26th sound like good dates because of winter solstice and all that

>it's shit. fuck your goat and fuck your govern
But isn't the mere fact that it keeps being burnt down the contributing factor behind why we're discussing this goat in the first place, though? If the perpetrators were always caught or none of this happened, this goat would not be interesting enough to consider a discussion over. But alas, we're having this conversation about it, and it's also the primary reason you even know about it.

only an american can get away with such a retarded lie

>that article says it costs $249,900 to build that damn thing

there was a comedy in Poland about a giant hay bear, whose cost was supposed to be highest to scam public funds

That goat must be the same thing in real life, kek

it's amazing how instead of living in a banana republic, we live in a banana planet. really makes you think that the more the world spins the more certain things remain the same

which is why burning the goat down should become an official tradition, with all the safety measures taken and the tickets sold

There seems to be a guy patrolling the goat now.

That's the smaller goat. The larger one was already burnt down.

Wow.
Where are the bolis?

>That American who flew a helicopter and threw bombs on it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gävle_goat
>''I'M NO GOAT BURNER''

> On the night of 23 December before 04:00 the South Merchant goat was set on fire and was burned to the frame, even though it had a thick layer of snow on its back.[35] The goat had two online webcams which were put out of service by a DoS attack, instigated by computer hackers just before the burning.[36]

my favorite

I'm surprised how busy it is for 2:00 in the morning

Surtur must be appeased.

But it arguably has become a tradition.

Goats are associated with Thor because of the goats Tanngnjost and Tanngrisner that pull his wagon. These goats could be slaughtered and eaten and then if you placed their bones in a fire overnight, they would be reborn from the ashes. Because of their association with Thor, goats were often sacrificed at Yule to secure his protection. The burning of straw goats is a natural extension of that tradition.