How similar are the languages of Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, and Icelandic?

How similar are the languages of Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, and Icelandic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-56XZJSQfxc
youtube.com/watch?v=cLnN-HIAC2c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yes

Who nuked Iceland?

America, I'm looking at you...

they fucked up the compass shading in that pic

autism

As far as I know. Danish and norwegian are supposely the same language, they are all intelligilible with Swedish (thanks to the similar root) although the latter is already quite different. If they speak slowly they'll understand one another
Icelandic is similar to the scandinavian languages but thanks to his semi-isolation it evolved different it looks like an ancient variation.
Finnish is the odd one, their language is similar with estonian and hungarian apparently

Are you currently learning some of them?

Finnish is completely different, it's from a different language family. However the others are fairly similar, especially swedish and norwegian

How does Faroese compare to Scandinavian languages? I remember reading the same text in different scandinavian languages, and Icelandic was very different but I think Norwegian and Danish were the same except for like 2 words.

Isn't icelandic like old norsk?

Written Danish and Norwegian are very similar, a few differences are that Norwegian uses more e instead of æ and that Danish never ends in the same double consonant (it would be gik instead of gikk).
But spoken Norwegian is usually closer to Swedish.

There are many words that are completely different, for example vaske (Danish and Norwegian) and tvätta (Swedish).

Faroese is closer to Icelandic and they can understand it when written but it's fairly different when spoken.

It's different but you can kinda understand icelandic if you read it.

No, but one autist in /luso/ lerant Swedish and spent 3 months chilling the nordics languages. That's from where my "knowledge" comes from.
Apparently as he said if you speak english you can get to a conversational level (or just enough to shitpost in the swedish general) by studying it for 3-4 months.

>Danish and Norwegian see supposedly the same language.
No. All Nordic languages with the exception of Finnish evolved from the same roots, Norwegian has no set formula and only exists as two separate written languages.
One is close to Danish (bokmål), which is based on Norwegianized Danish and the eastern dialects.
Nynorsk is based on the western dialects.

As written languages they're mutually intelligible, but still quite different (especially nynorsk). As spoken languages, they're vastly different.
Norwegians can usually understand both, although might have issues with Danish, my Swedish friends tend to be unable to understand me however.

Icelandic is not intelligible when spoken, but written is somewhat readable for a Norwegian speaker.

In the end, a lot of what you'll understand is dependant on your dialect. Eastern and southern dialects will have an ease understanding Danish, western and central will have an easier time understanding Swedish and Faroese, for example.
Faroese sounds like a western Norwegian dialect. You can understand some spoken and more or less all of the written form.

Not quite, because it was isolated it's gone it's own path and not had any influence from neighboring countries, but it's still evolved.
So an Icelandic speaker wouldn't understand spoken Norse or old Norwegian.
Learning the main parts of the languages is easy because English shares a lot of the grammar, even by some being considered a Scandinavian language.
So for shitposting purposes, that's true, but for someone who truly wants to learn it, it can take years due to all the minor things, grammatically at least.

Modern Norwegian (Bokmål) is basically a crude mixture of Danish and Swedish. However, there have been made attempts at creating/reviving some of the old nordic traits in Norwegian (Nynorsk "New Norwegian").
Fairly certain that Norwegian actually uses three genders, but not sure.

Swedish and Danish have the same roots, but have some major differences in both, vocabulary, spelling, grammar, tone and phonology.

Icelandic (and by extend Faroese) is a more archaic and preserved version of old norse. It's fairly isolated and less influenced by germanic languages, french and old english.

Finnish is completely alien and is from an entirely different language family altogether. Scandinavian languages have theoretically more in common with Hindi than Finnish. However, there are some loanwords and influences, particularly from Swedish, Russian and the Baltic languages (possibly also Sami).

Finnish is completely different from the rest of them. The others are all pretty similar to eachother and all sound gay

>finboi
>calling danish gay
be glad im not in finland now i would kick ur a$$

I'll fukin dek u cunt

Nah mate we defended ourselves from the Russians succesfully
What have you achieved? Invented coloured plastic bricks?

They're known for losing wars to Sweden

Sweden

Top kek 6-1

>6-1
dlet dis now

>Invented coloured plastic bricks?
but they didn't. they ripped it off. just like their flag

I don't know but Swedish sounds really good to me.

Never heard Icelandic nor Norwegian.

Finnish is Polka.

Danish..
Well..

youtube.com/watch?v=-56XZJSQfxc

Westrobothnian. anyone every heard of this language? the answer is no. because swedes have always tried to ethnocide it out of existance.

youtube.com/watch?v=cLnN-HIAC2c

ignore the text in the beginning, it's mostly bs (yes even if a website like wikipedia says the same things)

afaik it's originally an old branch of Norwegian just like Jamtish and Faroese etc.