Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1772

??? Edition

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
We'd like to. Bitch to the mods.

Previous thread: →→

Other urls found in this thread:

ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#card-types
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>screwed up the previous thread

You had one job

I downloaded the 10k core deck, how do I get rid of all the production cards?

They should have their own production category when you use the browse function. You can mass suspend/delete them through that.

you can't learn japanese

>tfw LITERALLY too tired to study
i'll do it in the morning
i swear

guys this is important

if i'm aiming to go straight for the JLPT next year, which deck should i be studying

the tae kim vocab deck, the core 6k deck, or a JLPT specific deck?

If you have to ask that then you are probably aiming for an insignificant JLPT level (aka not N1 or N2)

I just started learning literally 2 months ago, you fucking bitch

if you think i can be myself N2 ready in a year, sure i'll give it a shot, but my plan was N4 or N3 next year, then N2 in 2018, and finally N1 in 2019

Just found this thread
so happy it's still alive
I thought he was dead

There is no reason to waste that much money and time on taking anything under N2. If you study for JLPT right from the start you won't learn as well as if you just learnt regularly. You will get good at taking the test and not Japanese.
If you want something to gauge your skill, you can always take J-CAT, but I think you will learn more if you don't spend your time studying for the JLPT

ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#card-types

>There is no reason to waste that much money and time
It's not your money or time.

weebs out of my board

and yet you're still posting here you lazy fatass

一人で日本語を勉強するのは簡単ではない。
Not tired, just alone.

やる気さえあれば向上する

日本語国人、習っている同国民などと勉強するのを簡単になる。

なんやて工藤

Chinese letterings are literally caveman writings

I like studying Japanes e

what is she up to these days?

Congrats you discovered the ancient origins of literally every pictographic language.

>7 hours
>21 posts
just fucking shut it down

this shit is dead, its time to let go

Ausfag here from the previous thread.
I think I finally got a handle on the が/は thing, and the grammatical emphasis each of them place on the sentence.

Thank you so much. Especially
and

this famalam

sage :)

So with anki I basically never hit Easy, because I never feel like I remember something without thinking yet.

This is how I'm using it:
1 3 6 10 new words
1 3 6 forgotten words

If I can remember the word after a pause I hit Hard.
If I forget, I hit Again. I usually try and think about it for a good 15 seconds or so before hitting again.
I hit Again for a revision word the first few times I see it again just to refresh my memory quickly.

It's been one month and I worry that I'm not remembering most words long term, after 1 week of not seeing them I end up hitting again. Am I fucking up?

I cram on occasion, maybe once per week, should I up my cram study?

Should have just read a grammar guide, you dense cunt. VJG and the DoBJG explain it far better than the posts you quoted.
I swear these threads are only being kept alive by dumb cunts asking basic questions any decent grammar guide or google search answers, with other anons desperate anons basically posting editied copy/pastes from sources they themselves googled in order to generate the illusion of discussion.

Why don't you use a fucking search engine or one of the many archives? These sorts of questions have been asked and answered ad infinitum.

>1 3 6 10
Why so short? 1, 10, 30 is good.

spit a haiku user

can anyone explain to me what 行き means?
my anki deck and jisho say it's "bound for ..."
example: Tokyo bound train

As a non native english speaker I'm not able to make sense of it. Is a "Tokyo bound train" a train headed towards tokyo?
Then what other applications does "bound to(...)" have??

I don't know exactly what to search to find similar experiences and waited a few days to see if someone would post a similar question. I also read the guide in detail to see if there was some kind of anki progression pattern to see if I was on the right track. Sorry man, I knew it'd be a shit question. Anyway, I almost never post so I'll just fuck off back to lurking after this.

I thought more repetitions was better and thought of the time as cumulative, but now that you say it I see how distant reps could be more helpful. I'll change it and see how it goes for a while.

it means it will go to tokyo

thus hiroyuki means it will go to hiro

Whoever suggest should start
先ず隗より始めよ

"bound for" in english means its heading towards a certain place with a clear intention or result.
Its mostly used for transportation though, like with buses or trains.

行き means a movement that needs some destination or direction
In addition, 東京行き列車 is probably simplified then 東京行きの列車 is more easy to understand for native Japanese kids.

not " bound for" but "be bound for", that means "be headed for"

thanks guys! think I got it now

If you'd bothered to check the thread before lambasting me you'd see I actually read the DoJG (even posted a snippet here and tried to paraphrase it to show comprehension). But I still didn't get it because sources like those use syntactic jargon to describe grammatical functions, which mandate learning an entire lexicon of new terminology to interpret- in which newbies will readily get lost.
Believe it or not, the layman explanations and additional examples people posted were actually extremely helpful.

And I admit I'm remedial. I don't understand why you're so angry about people asking for help.

>That was a great read honestly. Do you think someone who knows English well can write a long, nonsensical yet logical passage based on what we expect to read, ala "fruit flies like a banana"?
I don't think I understand your proposal, Pinoybro. Care to elaborate?

>use syntactic jargon to describe grammatical functions, which mandate learning an entire lexicon of new terminology to interpret
Don't you learn that at school?

What VN should I start? I've only ever finished one VN before (翠の海) and I enjoyed it. Any recommendations? Not really into full on moege and prefer a more serious theme. I don't care about difficulty

Today I flunked 10 out of 232 reviews. Now I just need to achieve this feat for a week in a row and I might stop getting 230 reviews a day.
Ah, ye good ole days of sub-200...

You're trying to demoralize DJT since its move to Sup Forums, don't you get tired?

I do most of my forgetting in the one week range, that's nothing to worry about. Its when words start disappearing past the 1 month stage that you want to start getting depressed

Osu! I have looked ことにする up and found that it can mean pretend but ONLY after past tense of verb, so what does this sentence mean? I thought it meant "they must pretend not to exist"

>"they must pretend not to exist"
Yes, sure.

Is tokyo ghoul manga good or does it go to shit like the anime?

Hello, how many muslim brothers are there in Japan?
allahu akbar

ことにする is like "go with this"
>チキンにする
I'll go with chicken (like choose it)

いないことにする if I tried to explain it would be like, "we have to go with them not existing" or "we have to act like they they don't exist"

To be honest I can't really explain it well.

ことにする
I decide it is the thing that ~.

I feel "decide" is better. "choose" is well too.

Thanks for your experiences. I increased the time between reviews to 1 10 20 30. I'll give it more time and fashion a rope in preparation.

I see. Since I still can't use jp-jp dictionaries I have to rely on those translations but I guess I got the drift

Question about Tae Kim's guide

i'm at the particles section

2. どうして?(Topic: それ) = (Why is that?)

The answer was

これはどうして?

Couldn't you also write it as

そうしてがこれ?

is there a preferable way to do it? Are the meanings similar or is it just which way I feel like talking?

>そうしてがこれ?
This doesn't make any sense

At this point you should just think of どうして as it's own separate word meaning why, with similar meanings to なんで and なぜ.

そうして or そして cannot be used in place of どうして. そうして is more of something you say to connect phrases, kind of like 'and' or 'after that'.

I'm not sure what the Tae Kim question was but それはどうして? and これはどうして? are both valid things to say.

I typo'd.

What i meant to say was

どうしてがこれ?

Is that a valid statement?

If 何がこれ? is valid, that should be valid too.

>×そうしてがこれ?
>×どうしてがこれ?

近いのは

>それでこれ?
>どうしてこうなった?

>どうしてがこれ?
>何がこれ?
They both don't really make any sense
If you want to say 'why is this' and 'what is this' then it would be これはどうして? and これは何?
I thought about how to explain it but it's kind of difficult for me.
It probably won't help but when you say 何がこれ, it's like you are stating that 何 is これ and I think well obviously これがこれ. Probably not really helpful though. When you say これは何?, it's like "Talking about this object, what is it?"
After reading a while you should pick up on it quickly though, as I can't really explain it

It doesn't make much sense to me.
To say "what" to describe an object or a tangible reality you should use 何 I think。

どうやって、どうして,ect are more like "how", "how come" or "what for".

「どうしてこれをしてるか。」make sense to me but どうしてがこれ seems ... weird .

I can't explain it by using English. Too hard for me.

私たちが学んだ方法:
>~しないと○○される
→勉強しないと(母に)怒られる
→勉強しないと悪いことが起こる
いけない = 良くない = 悪い
~しないといけない = ~しないと 良くない(悪い)ことが起こる

しなきゃいけない == しないといけない

>~(という)ことにする
→(物or事)を~ということにする
→猫が いる ということにする (本当はいない
猫が いた ということにする (本当はいなかった
→猫が 存在しない ということにする (本当は存在する

>いないことにしなきゃいけない
”いないことにする。”←をしないといけない(しなかった場合は悪いことが起こる)
いないことにしないといけない == いないことにしなきゃいけない

Will reading manga with furigana hurt me in the long run?

アリス) 図書館 は どこ?
ボブ) ここ が 図書館だ。

Now i'm lost. Why did he suddenly switch to が? shouldn't it be ここは図書館だ

Also, だ is interchangable with です at the end, right?

Don't know about him, but in the UK they took grammar off the curriculum in the 60s. All we really learn are adjectives, nouns, adverbs and verbs; if you went to a good school you got taught the proper use of the apostrophe. Don't know why, but it's almost certainly because of hippy Marxists.

ボブ)が

じゃないとだめだよ

アリス)図書館はどこ?
ボブ)ここ(が図書館)だ/です

簡単な日本語で教えてくれてありがとう!
And I had thought about that implicit 悪いことが起こる when using the "double negation" to mean "must" but I never looked it up to be sure, thanks

In my opinion, not really. Until you have a large vocabulary the benefit of being able to look word up easily outweighs the cons. Just try not to rely on them too much

Depending on the demographic, a lot of Manga has either furigana or just hiragana for some words. As long as you keep your reps up your vocab won't slip, so read whatever to get your comprehension up.

図書館 is the topic.

Ok
How do I pour 200 kanji in my head in a week

Literally 30 a day with anki

because that the answer to the question.
ボブ is not talking about any random 図書館, he is talking about the one アリス is talking about.

The first は is like "regarding X" and the が is like "regarding THIS X (=the one you are talking about)". At least that how I see it.

Therefore, to me, the rule is like when answering to a question about something which was asked to you need to use が.

ex:

これは何?
これが本です。

Oh shit

So if the person you're speaking to changes the topic with は, you'd have to use が when talking about that continued topic until someone changes it again?

I think i'm starting to fucking understand.

Well usually the topic is omitted in the answer, because both speaker know what topic is so there's no need to mention it again -unless you really want to point out to the other person that you are talking about what he said.

Just like did

other example:

Aさん:動物園はどうだったか。
Bさん:(動物園が)楽しかった。

Generally when you are talking about a continued topic you don't even mention it. Kinda like how pronouns work in English, but in Japanese it's normal to drop it completely.

In your example, they are still talking about 図書館, but he's also pointing out that 図書館 is ここ

For example, if the topic was ここ (as if the building or location was unknown and the speaker wanted to know where he was) the conversation would go.
ここはどこ?
ここは図書館だ

くーいて、ぐーいで
うつるーって
ぬむぶーんで
すーして

くーいて、ぐーいで
うつるーって
ぬむぶーんですーして

くーいて、ぐーいで
うつるーって
ぬむぶーんで
すーして

くーいて、ぐーいで
うつるーって
ぬむぶーんで
すーして

くーいて、ぐーいで
うつるーって
ぬむぶーんで
すーして

くーいて、ぐーいで
うつるーって
ぬむぶーんで
すーして

gonna be silently chanting this in my head all day before i'm allowed to even know what it means. fuck you namasensei.

UlTrA rArE kAnJiS

驟雨

you're mom

膣内

I think the 「ほうがいい」 set phrase demonstrates the principle quite well. If we were to say 「ほうはいい」 that would just mean "this way is good" or "this way is fine/okay/etc.", but with が it becomes "this is THE good way" "this is the way it should be", "we/you/it should do x" etc.

糞スレだな

お前クソ人だな

ここ過疎りすぎ
結局/jp/の勝ちか

can i say both
妻の誕生日がありますから
and
妻の誕生日ですから
or is there a difference

>妻の誕生日がありますから
That's more on the lines of "Wife has a birthday, so-"

どっちも同じだ
でもそれでいいんだ
このままなくなっちまえばいいんだ

Pretty much the same.

ah i see.
i don't fully comprehend the difference between aru/iru and the auxiliary da/desu. I tried to look it up in the tae kim guide but i didn't find any more information on this. does anyone know where I can find a good explanaition?

ある for objects
いる if it's living

だ・です is called a "copula." It equates two things.
>これは何ですか
What is this? (this = what?)
>それはチンコです
That is a penis. (that = penis)

ある・いる means to exist.
>猫がいる
There is a cat. (A cat exists.)
>車がある
There is a car. (A car exists.)

so if the question was これは何ですか
could I answer with both
それは猫です
and
それは猫がいる

?
I understand the first one sounds more coherent, but would the second statement still be grammatically correct or is it not possible to say it that way?

Aru describes more about an objective/third person expression and is used for things and stuff.
"watashi ga aru" is never used and wrong, but "mono ga aru" is right. "doubutsu (or any animal) ga aru" is wrong.

Iru describes more about a subjective/first person expression and is used for human beings and living things.
"watashi ga iru" is right, but "mono ga iru" is wrong. "doubutsu ga iru" is right.

thats pretty much it.

>それは猫がいる
Strictly speaking it is grammatically correct but it is not a good answer to the question and it's hard to tell what you're trying to say with it.

The same structure can make sense in other contexts, though.
>私は猫がいる
As for me, there is a cat. (I have a cat.)

how would それは猫がいる translate to english then?
I thought it would mean "here is(exists) a cat"
while それは猫です would translate to "this is a cat"

oh, haha. while typing it out I think I got it. The first one sounds really weird indeed. I think I got it, then. thanks!

嫌い・(´・ω・`)
キモい・( ´・ω・)
汚い・(・ω・`o)

そうか

それは猫がいる is grammatically wrong because this sentence has two subjects in one clause. so it would have double be-verbs in the case of english.

its sounds like "it is a cat is exist" in japanese, not like "there a cat exists" or "it's a cat there"

汚れ

Waldoか?

Please translate:

「ゲップ!! 何よ、もう終わり?
まったく、男子のクセにだらしないわね。
約束どおりに給食の後片付けと教室の掃除、
みんなアンタがやっておきなさいよね…っ…げふぅ」

Thanks!

The pleasure of being cummed inside.

The pleasure of cumming inside a cleaned classroom

Thanks my dudes!