So the President of mexico

>So the President of mexico.

Why does he say "the president of mexico" and not "the mexico's president"? what's the difference? i'm learning english...

is the same thing? "the president of mexico" is more formal?

video: youtube.com/watch?v=4ud3iDCZ_MA

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"the Mexico's president" is nonsense. Remove "the" and it'd be grammatical. As for why he says it like that. No real reason I suppose. It has the exact same semantic meaning and I know of no formal/informal implications between the two.

"the president of mexico" = "mexico's president"

both are fine

"the mexico" is not a thing

>and not "the mexico's president"? what's the difference?
The difference is that isn't English.

He's trying to humiliate the Mexican people.

it doesn't make a difference in this case

also I dont think you should look to trump when you're trying to learn english

yeh, i know but his english is so understandable

It absolutely does make a difference. "The Mexico's President" is not in any way shape or form the English language you filthy fucking beaner. You have to go back.

Thanks anons

shut up and leave me build the fuckin' wall

why not. learning a language should be fun. memes are fun. trump is a meme.

i was trying not to be autistic because I knew what he meant and it had been addressed in this thread

Don't be rude to him he's trying to learn he won't get banter.

also "Mexico's President" implies mexico is the important part of that phrase, "the President of Mexico" more clearly indicates the president is the important part

he was replying to a us flag

Why are you so rude he was just asking a question. Go drink sugar and calm down fat ass

Because someone with an American flag should know how to speak the English fucking language.

America doesn't even have an official language you stupid burger.

>Official Language: None
>Spoken Languages: English, Spanish, Others

Wrong. The states have official languages.

Guess the odds of it being English.

You said american flag you goalpost shifting imbecile.

t. Foreigner

>The states have official languages.
Do we have state flags?
Guess what? We dont dumb fat fuck.

I do. Maybe you should stop being so new.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

'Mexico' is a proper noun.

in English, we have proper nouns and common nouns.

Proper nouns are 'names' that refer to a unique 'entity'. John, Isabelle, London are all examples of proper nouns.

Common nouns are names that are used to refer to a class of people or things. Dog, human and female would all be examples of a common noun.

You can think of it a little like this: John, a proper noun, refers to a specific individual known a John. We know that we are talking about John, because John is a person and so when we use his name we are talking directly or referring to John.

However, Dog, a proper noun, can exist in two forms. It can exist in a conceptual form: the concept of dogs as a species, or a specific entity that belongs to the class dog. For instance, we can say "I love dogs", in which it is being used in a conceptual form. We can also say "I like that dog", in which case we are referring to a specific entity that can be described as a dog. In a way, common nouns can also be used as adjectives to describe something.

Words like 'the', 'that' and 'this' are prefixed (added before) common nouns in order to differentiate between their conceptual and denoting forms. "I like monkeys" and "I like the moneys" is the difference between "I like monkeys as a concept" and "I like the group of monkeys I'm specifically referring to".

Now common nouns exist in singular and plural forms - meaning you can refer to an individual of something in one way and more than one of something in another. For instance, "1 bird" and "2 birds".

Proper nouns don't have plural form. We can't say there are "more than one mexicos" because there is only one mexico; it is a unique thing identified by a unique proper noun.

When he says "the president of mexico", he means "the specific individual that is the president of Mexico."

"The Mexico's president" doesn't work because prefixing mexico with 'the' would force the reader to treat it like a common noun, which it isn't.

"President of Mexico" is more formal

If he said "mexico's president" instead I guess I would assume the subject matter is more about mexico than about the actual guy, the president. But I don't know, there's not really a difference.

Remember that ''the'' is used much less liberally in English than ''la/el/los'' in Spanish or other Romance languages

The President of the United States of Mexico.
The President of the Mexican United States.

Shouldn't he use the former?
It sounds better and it reminds people that there's more than one United States in America.

even the mexicans want to get rid of the united states

>USA shits up a thread again