/lang/ Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

Daily Japanese Thread Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

iccs.synthasite.com/learn-circassian.php
prism.ucalgary.ca/handle/1880/49341
radio.garden/live/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Learning German, eh?

Aprender español fue un error porque la mayoría de hispanohablantes son putasos en el Internet.

Learning Mandarin
Working on a startup in China (I'm Caucasian from Europe)
One guy in the company has an accent so strong I could think it's another language
He sounds like a bee, when he talks there are "z" everywhere

I've started learning Lojban again. How autistic am I?

>ro remna cu se jinzi co zifre je simdu'i be le ry. nilselsi'a .e lei ry. selcru .i ry. se menli gi'e se sezmarde .i .ei jeseki'ubo ry. simyzu'e ta'i le tunba

Seriously, just drop it, it's horrible.

Yo yo, where my türkçe konuşanlar at
I have a question about the word hakkı, or whatever the root is.
So, to say "I read a book about him", I say "Onun hakkındaki bir kitap okudum". Not sure if the -ki is necessary or not, but that's not my question.
Duolingo taught me that you only use the genitive form for the pronouns, but that doesn't seem right to me. So if I want to say "I read a book about Atatürk", which one would I say?
Atatürk hakkındaki bir kitap okudum.
Atatürk'ün hakkındaki bir kitap okudum.

>Atatürk'ün hakkındaki bir kitap okudum.
This one is the right one.

"Atatürk hakkında bir kitap okudum" would be right
if you still have more questions
>>>/tr/

Thanks for coming from /tr/ to help

Atatürk hakkında bir kitap okudum.
You shouldn't use pronoun in this sentence.
You can use "hakkındaki" in this.
"What is your opinions about him?"
"Onun hakkındaki görüşlerin nelerdir?"

Still trying with mandarin.
Decided to try and decode the simplified chinese version of the annalects using a digital dictionary.
I will also write most of the characters on paper.

You're gonna need to write most characters about a hundred times before your hand starts to get the hang of writing it and you learn the character.

i'm trying to learn a foreign language but i can't even hold a conversation in my own language due to severe autism so there is really no point

But You write in english ? Or you just know basic english ?

I have a question.

How would someone pick up Lojban without use of a dictionary or lessons? If for example a child was learning by immersion, do you think they would be able to pick up on the slightly different "prepositional" values/orders of each word? I know the word order tends to be similar for many words (sorry, forgot the terminology) but some don't go in the same order, so do you think it would be extra difficult for a person just learning by ear? Or do you think they would pick it up as easily as any other language?

i speak english and norwegian, yes.

i'm trying to learn a third language but the fact is i would never go to the country where they speak this language and talk to people in it because of severe autism.

Teşekkür ederim. Pratik yapmağın için bugünkü derslerimden sonra /tr/'ı gideceğim.

önemli değil user, ne zaman istersen
>yapmağın
yapmak
>/tr/'ı gideceğim.
/tr/'ye gideceğim

does anyone have any resources on learning adyghe circassian online?

Wew good luck user

I am studying Korean right now but am taking some time to learn Hanja

It's daunting but I am optimistic

I'm willing to do that.
Didn't expect it to be any different.

What is Hanja exactly used for in Korean?

>but i can't even hold a conversation in my own language due to severe autism so there is really no point

It's not your fault, it's because your government has been converting your language into D*nish for the last centuries.

It is not natural for you to speak this constructed Neo-D*nish imperialist "language"

hvem /norsk/ her

t. norwegian rape baby

>when your language barely has anythig in common with others,be it grammar or vocabulary

You mainly see it in newspapers, and sometimes on signage, it is used generally just when there is a need to conserve space, like an abbreviation. So, it's not really needed for anything.

However, for someone learning Korean, if you learn what at least some of the Hanja are, you will memorize vocabulary much faster and be able to guess word meanings more easily than if you just go in learning words "blind".

I'm learning it for that reason and also just for curiosity, and to see if it helps me later when studying Japanese or Chinese.

Do you mean Hungarian?

I plan to study that eventually.

I think someone could learn maybe a little bit by ear, but I don't think anyone could become fluent by ear. I'm not sure if anyone has taught their children any lojban, but if so, it would be interesting to see what happens.

At least I don't literally speak Danish as my first language.

Yes.
It's a nuisance.
We have some slavic stuff,some latin and some german,but thanks to the language reform we made in the good old days,most stuff has an original,hungarian name.
You could say kompjúter,but nobody uses that.
Everyone says Számítógép.

at least i don't live on an island in the middle of nowhere where it rains literally 365 days a year

Man, these Norwegian burns are devastating.

I would be proud of that to be honest, it's interesting

Never said it's bad.
But the hungarian language is a castle with no doors.
Hard to get out,hard to get in.

Sounds a lot like the UK.

Hold on, don't you use the genitive with 'için'?
"Onun için bunu yapacağız" = "We will do this for him/her"
And if you attach -ın to 'yapmak', you have to soften the k to a ğ, hence I wrote yapmağın. Or is için like hakkında, where only the pronouns take the genitive?

I have these two links laying around in my bookmarks, haven't really looked at them. The first one's for Adyghe, the other one's for Kabardian, so it might not be so useful for you.
iccs.synthasite.com/learn-circassian.php
prism.ucalgary.ca/handle/1880/49341
Also check the Google Docs from OP.

thanks

there is no such thing as "yapmağın" in turkish
if you want to say "in order to", just add -mak/mek için

Learning Mandarin

It's still hard but I can tell I'm getting there. Almost at the critical point where I can understand enough of what is said in listening to start picking some things up from context. But I still can't tell what's going on when people start sticking 儿 after everything

Want to learn French but don't think I'd be able to make those guttural sounds well enough.

Fellow frogs, how ridiculous do Anglos sound when speaking English?

If you are learning X make sure you...

If you are learning German make sure you learn the article of new words you learn.

If you are learning Arabic make sure you learn the plural of new words.

Anyone got any similar tips that beginners should do that will make life easier when they get more advanced?

44th for turkish being phonetic is a myth

Currently trying to learn french, but it's been a challenge.
Some things are similar to portuguese, others to english. Fuck.

Any advice, frogbros? I really wanna learn this by myself.

I'm trying to learn arabic, and writing and reading in german is quite easy now, my grammar is even better than in english. But arabic is on a whole different level, holy shit, hard consonants and all those letters that sound like "h" are killing my mouth, plus I can't read fast, it get's worse with the rules for solar and lunar letters, and alifs

Putazos? Por qué? Putazos se interpreta como golpes o gays jajaja, mejor di pendejos.

cual lengua deberia estudiar para EL DINERO

no, el chino y el arabe no cuentan

Recomiendo que estudies japonés, alemán, o inglés. Parece que los estados unidos, china, japón, alemania, y el reino unido son los cinco paises que tienen los PIB más altos.
Pero también quiero decir que sería más fácil aprender el idioma que te interesa. Para mi, el turco es más interesante que el chino. Bunun için çok türkçe öğrendim ama zaten çince anlamıyorum :^)

Gracias por el consejo.

If you're learning Russian, when you learn a new verb, make sure you know the two aspects and you conjugated it at least once.

Somebody is learning french ?

wanna learn french
tried learning spanish over summer but failed as usual

Can't really help you. I found English and Italian ridiculously easy to learn because of the identical vocabularies, but I don't know if it works the other way around. Just... make sure you know how to conjugate every verb you know, and learn the genders. I wish you good luck.

See Conjugation and genders are hard, but I think the vocabulary is pretty easy.

watch a lot of tv

help with spanish plz

*ayudándote*

Que?

Ayudar = To help
Ayudando = Helping (present participle)
te = second person singular clitic
Ayudando + te = ayudándote = helping you
Since the word is an esdrújula (emphasis on the third to last syllable) the acute accent is written on the second a.
De nada :D

gracias!

learning russian for the girls and world cup. learning arabic to kill them. so far russian is pretty easy, and arabic is meh

Not sure if this exists in Russian, but I know that in Ukrainian you can just put вжe + past-tense verb to hack a perfect aspect without memorizing each verb's individual form.

What is a very useful language that is not english or spanish? I want to learn something but can't think of a language to learn.

French, German, Chinese, Russian

chinese

Would anyone recommend using the IPA? I have trouble remembering some of it.

getting sick of this meme твн

IPAs are alright but they're a little too hoppy for my taste. I prefer a well brewed lager myself.

what is a person supposed to learn? spanish so they can talk to people incapable of fractions? arabic, so they can talk to people who can barely do fractions, but will kill you for anything more intelligent?

if someone isn't going to learn chinese, the only other real options I see are russian or maybe german

You may find it useful as a reference, but memorizing it is a waste of brain cells, so to speak. It's a helpful tool in the absence of audio resources, but for most languages that is most likely not a problem. Lemme break it down like this:
If you're learning Spanish or Japanese or Arabic, you do not need IPA. You have PLENTY of audio to work with.
If you're learning something way less mainsteam like Circassian or Irish Gaelic or Mongolian, IPA will prove incredibly helpful to you.

>people incapable of fractions

it's not that hard. regard it as a slur. it only replaces certain types of particles, and is always a compliment to a single character that needs a complement to be clear.

there are rules to erhua. just google it.

this is a good idea but I have the impression it reduces your general intelligence in exchange for language skills

poetry

try and deal with mexicans, ever, I dare you

also, mexicans are 30% of all of america and nearlt 50% of the prime consumer market. if that burger failed, which demographic do you thnk it was that misunderstood the fraction?

mexicans who are monolngual in english graduate high school with an average reading level of 6th grade.

think about that for a second.

>if that burger failed, which demographic do you thnk it was that misunderstood the fraction?
Americans
>mexicans who are monolngual in english graduate high school with an average reading level of 6th grade.
sounds like they're integrating well

I was thinking Russian because that's where my rrelatives live, but idk where to start.

Are you shitposting ironically or just plain retarded. Also, take this to another thread user.

77a por neŭtrala lingva fundamento

Buenas noches y buenos días.

Cool site posted on reddit that allows you to listen to radio stations around the world. Sort of like tunein but more fun if you want to jump around and listen to a bunch of different languages.

radio.garden/live/

This is amazing thanks for sharing.

3pm bump

1. Poland
2. Spen
3. A2

I already speak English, so what would be the point of learning another language?

>tfw it thinks all georgias are the same

Ben de öğrenmek için '/tr'ye gitmek istiyorum..

Saluton, amiko. :3

Ĉu la germana aĉulo ankoraŭ klopodas irone lerni Esperanton?

Because its interesting.

I'm trying to learn Finnish, wont be an advantage but its a cool somewhat futuristic language that has a weird vibe to it compared to the other european languages (might be because its one of the last survivors of the proto indo european niggers invading with their language thus a glimpse into how pre indo european languages souded like)
What am i getting myself into?

>tfw duolingo has fucking welsh of all languages but doesnt have finnish

> at store today
>that will be 2 euros
>give 12 euros

fuck me i suck at language learning

would learning hindi
come in handi

Get out

I think you're talking about me, here I am

Also wow, that was rude

>be me
>remember Sup Forums tried learning Afrikaans once
>i wonder why there aren't any language learning threads
>scroll down
>see this thread

T'is tyd lads

I always thought they liked Anglo accents.

Either way, Anglo womyns are whores for French so it's useful on the home turfs.

>studied Spanish for 6 years, became fluent
>stopped using it, forgot almost all of it
>studied Japanese in uni for 2.5 years
>failed class, gave up

What are my chances of "decoding" this.
I'm planning on writing down every character I don't know with it's meaning(s) into a little notebook.

Fuck.
I forgot the image.

It will be a good excersize I suppose