How accurate is Niko Bellic's Serbian accent?

How accurate is Niko Bellic's Serbian accent?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dM4ngY4p-tY
youtube.com/watch?v=N1TVpAu1WF8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not very, asked a Serbian friend of mine about this once

it's a rule of thumb that all eastern europeans speaking english sound the same, didn't you know?

also, sadly, there isn't even a 'turkish accent'

was he serbian? i thought they kept it ambigious

Ex-USSR and ex-Yugoslavia accents sound the same.

arr spik the sam

They did
Though they spoke very broken Serbo-Croatian in the game and almost none of the characters names were stereotypically Serbian.

He was obviously a balkaner due to various plot points including dealings with Italians in the past.
The reason people assume Serbian is because he mentions doing a lot of things in the war that he regrets, and people assumed it meant war crimes, so they drew the connection to Serbia.

I thought him and his brother sounded more Swedish/Scandinavian desu

it always pisses me off how foreign characters in movies/games have shitty accent but native speaker grammar

every single slavshit sounds the same

except you mongols you sound as if someone constantly switched the gears in your brains

He also use to work as a people smuggler on the Adriatic sea
Serbia doesn't have sea access, so he could be Croatian, maybe even Montenegrin

In the beginning of the game where you buy clothes from that Russian store, the clerk lady says she recognizes your accent and asks if you're from Serbia.

Don't they mention Serbian right at the beginning of the game? I'll look for the video
Here at about 3:12
youtube.com/watch?v=dM4ngY4p-tY

Ah, completely forgot that part.
All I remember was his crippling regret over what he did in "the war".

True but language =/= ethnicity, especially in this case

>what he did in "the war".
Perhaps he removed some kebab but why would he regret that?

Killing people in war can fuck a person up.
I would imagine being part of ethnic cleansing would be much worse.

but he lived in liberty city. its clearly not the same world.

Czech and Slovak are different from the rest.

Some of his comrades betrayed their unit and led them into an ambush and bosnian war was more than just killing mudslimes. And Niko was 13-17 during this.

>also, sadly, there isn't even a 'turkish accent'
There is, and it's pretty nice if they actually speak English and not just regurgitate some English words.

the things he was supposedly saying in serbian sounded were way off. shame on the studio they couldn't find one single serb to do the bloody voice acting

that said, serbs do sound pretty similar when they speak english

there definitely is, don't delude yourself bro

lel
R* got that completely wrong
The only regret an average Serb would feel about the war would be the regret of not killing more kebabs

There was a lot of Eastern Europeans speaking in Eastern European languages in that, I always wondered how accurate the phrases were and whether all the characters had an American accent. Also I think the guy who did Niko's voice didn't even get paid for it

>Also I think the guy who did Niko's voice didn't even get paid for it
He did, and got an award for it.

>an award
>for doing a voice that doesn't even sound CLOSE to what it's supposed to be

Just stating facts, not saying he deserved it
Tbh the voice sounded too Russian to me

va in that game was relly good all around even if it wasn't accurate.

I thought he was Polish.

>Poland had a war in the 90s
rly mak u tnk

The accent is shit, the lines in Serbian are even worse
youtube.com/watch?v=N1TVpAu1WF8
The game is good tho, and i liked him as a character.

There's no reference to him being Bosnian or Croatian in the game. You only have him clearly speaking Serbian and writing in Serbian, while practically all the other characters who guess his ethnicity are way off (like calling him Russian or Pollock). The only specific reference to what Balkan ethnicity he is, is Billy's comment in the Lost and Damn after the death of the Lost biker that Mikhail's daughter was dating was killed by Niko, where Brian said the guy who killed him (Niko) was a 'Polack' and Billy corrects him saying that he 'thinks he was a Serb'.