Question on understanding Norsk

TIl noen som snakker nosk.

Is anyone able to explain this to a beginner?

I was under the impression that main clause sentences in Norwegian follow the structure of

1st place , verb, emergency place or subject, adverb, 2nd verb, object, additional information.

Like:

I dag vil jeg ikke drikke kaffe her.

But then how does the text in the image make sense?

"Gutten som ropte ulv"

Thanks.

This can also be a Norwegian language thread in general I suppose.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sHmUo3bD9CU
youtube.com/watch?v=wARB2COiwZc
lektorsalen.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/200-samiske-ord-for-sno-i-signatur-pa-norsk-yrkesfag/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

fuck off we're full

no you are not
thanks for the gf btw

here already mate, and I'm Australian

thanks for the strippers

I don't understand your issue.

>Gutten som ropte ulv

how can the verb be in the third place?

hello, friend

Okay so I think I've figured this out.

The subject is actually "gutten som" = the boy who

So it's "gutten som" [1] ropte [2] ulv [3].

So the verb actually is in the 2nd place then, right?

I'm not great at grammar, but I assume it's the same reasoning as in English. It's the exact same structure.

I assume "som ropte ulv" is a relative clause, where "som" functions as the relative pronoun and is the subject.

But what about 'gutten' at the start of the sentence? Is that lumped together with 'som' to create the subject?

You can say:

Jeg vil ikke drikke kaffe her i dag
or
I dag vil ikke jeg drikke kaffe her

It's lumped together with the relative clause to create the subject, maybe. Or you just ignore the relative clause and go on like nothing happened.
Either way, it's exactly like in English:
"The boy who cried wolf raped the shepherd's daughter."
"Gutten som ropte ulv, voldtok jeterens datter."

Right, and the verb is always in the second place.

Is the verb in the second place or in the third place in

>Gutten som ropte ulv

>jeterens
*gjeterens

Ah okay! Got it

So in this example

Gutten som ropte ulv is the subject
voldtok is the verb
and gjeterens datter is the object?

Yes, what did you think?

Yes. That's what I assume, at least. I haven't had to think about grammar since high school, though. So I'm not 100% certain about any of this.

I think I'm a little confused because the subject has a verb in it, is all.

"Ropte" is a verb
but "gutten som ropte ulv "can be a subject of a sentence

Isn't that the same as in most languages? Subclauses?

>Subclause

I guess they don't really teach us these things when you learn English, but subclauses actually seem to be the reason I was confused. Thanks for giving me the name for it user.That wraps up my question then!

Takk for alt.

BRA TRÅD

Serios?

>Using the international board to discuss language learning
Ja, jeg er seriǿs. Det er hva dette brettet er for - å diskutere språk. Det er Ikke bare den australske (hvem skriver under den norsk flagg) hvem som prǿver å lære seg norsk. Jeg bare har ingen spǿrsmåler å spǿrre.

I think I got that partially incorrect, though. The use of som and hvem is still not crystal clear to me.
For reference, increase I REALLY butchered it, I tried to say: Yes, I'm serious. That is what this board (did I misuse brett here?) is for: to discuss languages. It is not just the Australian (who is posting under the Norwegian flag) learning norwegian. I just have no questions to ask.

This.

Why the fuck not.

Also, I don't get why a lot of Norwegians (mostly old people) think our language is so fucking hard to learn for foreigners. It is probably one of the easiest in europe.

it is hard as hell to pronounce and some words take on like 10 different meanings

Yes Indeed, but the basic bokmål grammar is easy as fuck.

But I agree that the dialects are difficult. Also we got like 50 different dialect words for one thing.

>Det er Ikke bare den australske (hvem skriver under den norsk flagg) hvem som prǿver å lære seg norsk.

Correct me if I am wrong, friendo, but I think this should be written as

Det er ikke bare den australaske (hvem skriver under den norsk flagg) som prover å lære seg norsk

Basically I dont think hvem som is correct, as som already means who in this context

I can't be bothered reading all this. Here's how it works.

"Gutten som ropte ulv" is not a full sentence.
It's just the subject, with a special type of sentence that is a part of the subject.
So you still have the
position 1 - verb
word order, where position 1 is filled by a subject consisting of many different parts.
If you don't get it, you can replace it with an adjective.
"den store gutten"
works in a similar way, you have many words, but only one main part, the "gutt", boy.
You COULD replace what you wrote with an adjective too, but it would be unusual and strange, but gramatically accurate:
"den ulveropende gutten"
maybe a bit wrong, thinking about it.
You can also replace it with a compound word, where the sentence is built into the morphology:
"rope-ulv-gutten"
also gramamtically correct, but very childish, in adult language these contsuctons are rare.
But this probably has nothing to do with that.
Just wanted to share.

Nynorsk has more regular grammar in many cases

Also as a follow up, the way I think it works is that som can be used as who as an object, but hvem is used for who as a question.

So,

Hvem er det means who is that?
Det er som jeg snakket om means That is who I was talking about.

How do I learn Norwegian prepositions? I've been studying Norwegian on and off for a few years now, and while most of the grammar and vocabulary is easy enough, the prepositions are impossible. It's like there's literally almost no correlation between them in Norwegian and English, or from one Norweigan sentence to the next. What am I supposed to do? Memorize a literally infinite number of situations and which preposition to use in each one? If there is anything that is going to stop me from becoming fluent, it is this.

cheers user, the original question has been answered but what you wrote was still an interesting read

wtf norway

Use på where you’d say “on” or “at” in English: «Jeg er på fjellet.» «Hun er på skolen.»

Use på for rooms, whereas in English you’d say “in”: «Jeg er på badet.»

Use på for islands, just as you’d say “I live on the Faroe Islands”: «Jeg bor på Færoyene.» Iceland is an island, so på is used, even though in English we’d use “in”.

In general use i wherever else you’d use “in”, with some exceptions like «Jeg er på landet.»

Some rooms take "i"
"jeg er i stua"
"jeg er i gangen"

It's probably differences like this that's confusing. Using "på" is no rule.

The island rule is pretty accurate, but has some exceptions.
"japan" requires "i", not "på", despite being islands.

I read somewhere that if the function of the room is more important than the room itself, you take på.

So like with a kitchen for example, which has a very specific function.

Jeg er på kjokken

Rethinking a bit, and a quick google, I think "på stua" and probably "på gangen" are accepted, but "i badet" is not, so use "på" if you aren't sure. It's not unusual for that to be the standard, even for these rooms.

That sounds like it could be right, but I don't know

takk for forklaringen

"The girl" is a noun
"Who cried wolf" is an adverb/adverbium (but cry is a verb, they just constitute an adverb together)

The boy*
I almost failed my swedish courses in HS but I think that's correct. Word order is pretty liberal.

Am I wrong in saying prepositions are the absolute hardest part of the language??

Anyone have any thoughts on this

Need 2 learn kebabnorsk

this is a serious thread. literally no one else was shitposting before you arrived.

please leave if you cannot behave like an adult.

On the subject of dialects, this video could be useful.
youtube.com/watch?v=sHmUo3bD9CU

Not perfect, but the best on youtube that I could find.

I just skipped through it without watching because it'd cause me to cringe so much.
Saami isn't one language.
Oslo dialect and bokmål are not as close as people think
Dialects are not altered versions of bokmål and nynorsk (except eastern norwegian)
And that's what I am willing to see.

Where can I learn the basics? I know nothing about the language but seems interesting. Is it available in duolingo?

dont people in oslo basically speak bokmål though

sure is!

Yes they do, because they got shamed so much for speaking oslo dialect so they switched to speaking bokmål instead

Bergenstesten in 30 days, any tips?

I haven't done it, so can't help much, but don't underestimate its difficulty, I knew someone who spoke Norwegian well but they still failed.

been learning for 2 months senpai

but im studying about 6 hours a day

Thanks. Already on it.

What resources have you used to learn norwegian so fast?

How confident are you in in regards to passing the test?

Good luck, it's a fun language.

Regarding dialects, a bit of a blogpost:

youtube.com/watch?v=wARB2COiwZc

It wasn't until the near end of that video, did I think for that I might have understood what that guy was saying. I had to rewatch the video a second time and recognize the country of origin of the uploader's surname that he is Norwegian.

I then felt embarrassed that I didn't understand the speech the first time around, or even immediately recognize it to be norwegian. However, I felt slightly relieved when someone pointed out that he was speaking with a dialect (Stavanger). Which, I recognize that most norwegians speak with a dialect, even those in Oslo; as I understand it, almost no one in Norway speaks a perfect standardized bokmål norwegian.)

Dialects in norwegian can REALLY change how things sound, to the point where the language is not instantly recognizable to me. Almost all learning material for students is standardized it seems (and for good reason, I'm well aware) so unexpectedly hearing 'real' Norwegian spoken - with a dialect - is a bit of a surprise.

Lastly, it seems to me that Norwegian is much more impacted by dialects than most other languages (so I read, anyways), so it will take some time to get used to. I don't think I'm going to bother until I have a very good handle on 'standard' norwegian bokmål, though.

A bit of thinking and perspective from a student, for anyone who is interested (native, learner, or otherwise) I suppose.

Kva er det som går fǿre seg i denne tråden?

10 per cent think I'll pass it.

I'm just reading, using the NoW exercises and translating episodes of Norwegian TV shows by hand

>Kva

Yea, we have a lot of dialects. It has something to do with all those years of isolation in small, unaccessible villages all over the country. People were poor and rarely visited other places than their home village. Also the upper class spoke danish.
Some of the rural dialects not only sounds gutteral and strange, but uses a lot of unique words.

For example the word "sludd" in bokmål (Sleet? rainy snow) Have different words in some dialects:

Blåt, kless, skletta, sklætt, slata, slatter, smaladrepa/smaladaue (in certain context) and vadlasletta.

"som" introduces a relative clause, which means that "som" is the new first place.

Why not?
You are not much better, anyway. Arguably worse, with your removal of the first consonant.

The problem was that people had the bad habit of not pronouncing the "h", so it had to be changed to "k" to get people to pronounce it properly.
Ideally, we'd do like Iceland and Faroe Islands, write "h" but say "k", but when we were in the bad position, at least it's better to show the correct pronunciation than use the written language to ruin the correct pronunciation in spoken language as well.

As for the lack of "t", that's also a bit of a problem, that's true. There should have been a "t" there that would be silent in many dialects, rather than enforcing the lack of "t" on other dialects that have it.

?

I remember reading, years ago, well before I started learning Norwegian, that you guys have over fifty words to describe snow. Whether that's true or not, I thought this to be ridiculous.

However, if you look at English, we have over a dozen words to describe snow ourselves. Add in a ton of local dialects, and with snow being a bigger part of scandinavian language speaking countries' history compared to english speaking countries' history, it becomes believable that a language could have 50+ words for snow.

the real snow connoisseur are people like eskimos and sami people

they have more words for it than we do

>Dialects in norwegian can REALLY change how things sound, to the point where the language is not instantly recognizable to me.
That sounds scary to be quite honest. I don't know anyone from Norway so I'm ready to give a try for the lulz anyway

The eskimo thing is a bit inaccurate/it's a bit impossible to count.
From what I've heard about Greenlandic, they only have two basic words for snow. However, their language has a lot of endings that can be added to change the meanings of the words. So you can't really compare them.

If we only go by base words, however, I think saami people have more than 50, maybe it was 100, words. The problem here is that it's actually more than one language, so that great number of words may not be present in one language. But still, I do believe they would have a great number of words for snow regardless.
I actually read an article about saami words for snow online once, but I don't remember exactly.

They also have 50 or was it 100 words for reindeer, which is also a bit cool.
And I believe Southern Saami has its own grammatical forms for counting reindeer.

I did a quick google, and found a list:
lektorsalen.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/200-samiske-ord-for-sno-i-signatur-pa-norsk-yrkesfag/
Go to the comments section.

Someone there made a list of 205 words for snow in Saami, and they excluded words based on other words, all unique words

norwegians wont touch this cause they know its true

>before I started learning Norwegian, that you guys have over fifty words to describe snow
I can only think of like three in bokmål

This is a good thread, I'm glad it went on well without shitposting. I want it to continue but Norwegians are probably sleeping and I have no questions right now.

So I guess one last post, bumping for someone else learning who might have a question.

>How do I learn Norwegian prepositions?

you don't

:DD:D:D:Dd

your only choice is living here, really