How long does it take before you can read a new language...

How long does it take before you can read a new language? I have been studying a new Language for about a month now and I can barely read anything.

>although I did have to learn they Cyrillic alphabet first

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FDZSSdOnP40&ab_channel=ser841
youtube.com/watch?v=uzwhimZNrYc&ab_channel=navigator
youtube.com/watch?v=-f6X71ab1OM&ab_channel=ViSSuGaR
youtube.com/watch?v=xpJ_fYyAeYk&list=PLueeXBHkZzqFVuZze9ltBY4jnsJ6C0NgM&ab_channel=zemfira
russianforfree.com
russianlessons.net
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Two weeks

Bullshit.

No bullshit, I learn quickly

i've been studying spanish for like 3 days and can't imagine it taking more than a month. just learn as much vocab as possible, read as much as possible, and do duolingo for grammar.

New Language is my favorite language. I always learn new language. You can speak it everywhere.

Prove it

I learned english two weeks ago and I can read your posts now.
I just have problem with the grammar

It takes a long time. If you want to start reading a new language then you need to start writing and forming sentences in the language you are learning.

It would take me a couple or several months depending on how absorbed I am on it.
I've been on and off about learning French and I only know simple phrases and how to pronounce the vowels, consonants etc. after a few days of studying.

It takes a lot of practice and you have to go back to the basics like children's books. You need someone fluent in that language to talk to/help you, too.

What materials did you use?

Oh, yes. I used to learn Japanese back then and I used to be able to read Japanese characters but of course negligence will make me forget what I've learned.

I find watching french movies really helpful with understanding phrases and such. It sounds like such a cluster fuck when you first start out though.

Fucking do something with it like shitpost on Russian Internet, watch Russian TV or movies with subtitles whatever

You won't learn to use it unless you use it most people that went to school learned at least one language for years, most can't use it for shit

>tfw learning russian and there arent any good russian films

Would listening to music be useful you think?

I try to shitpost on the russian Sup Forums, but I cant read good enough to understand what is being said.

Music is helpful, and russia has some great cinema. Watch Tarkovsky! He's big in Russian culture. Also watch tv shows.

I have some russian music my russian buddy showed me lol, and I'm not even learning the language. Lemme find some he showed me and I'll post it here.

Yeah. There's a few things to keep track of at first like definite articles and the plural suffixes or whatever being different depending on the gender but later on I got used to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=FDZSSdOnP40&ab_channel=ser841

youtube.com/watch?v=uzwhimZNrYc&ab_channel=navigator

youtube.com/watch?v=-f6X71ab1OM&ab_channel=ViSSuGaR

youtube.com/watch?v=xpJ_fYyAeYk&list=PLueeXBHkZzqFVuZze9ltBY4jnsJ6C0NgM&ab_channel=zemfira

>tfw my friend is a russian nu male

would love opinions on these songs from ruskies.

It took me a week to learn how to read in russian, it's not hard at all.
If you are struggling with it just practice more, read everything you can find.

Most Russians would have trouble with that
Also this Find a couple of songs you like, Google lyrics, listen often enough, learn words and phrases
Also torrent a pirate PC game they're all in Russian anyway

I can read it fine, its just I do not know the meaning behind what I am reading. I basically know the alphabet.

Well, then it's time to start studying.

russianforfree.com

russianlessons.net

>I can read the language
>I can't understand it

What did he mean by this?

That he can read the words but can't understand the language?
You can learn the languages sounds and how to read without knowing the meaning of the words.

dont study, just learn words and start reading

speaking of this, what does cheeki breeki mean?

learning the alphabet and how letters combine to make sounds is pretty easy. you could do it in a day if you tried. seriously go look it up.

you can learn to read new language pretty quickly.
not so much on writing and speaking it though

reading it, but not comprehending it

if you understand the words you are comprehending it. it can't be that hard or take that long to memorize say, 100 words, then go read a newspaper and translate the ones you don't. if you're an english speaker learning russian it probably will take longer than two weeks. but leanring french or spanish probably wouldn't take as long.

now that i think about it, wouldn't german or dutch or one of those languages be pretty much just directly translating? the grammar isn't all that different afaik. speaking it is hard but learning to read it probably wouldn't take to long.

2 weeks is enough to be able to translate and comprehending it separately.
i'd say you gonna be able to comprehend (context-wise) about 65-80% of it, at least thats what i can tell you from my experience with dutch.
there's might be a bias since switching from english to dutch probably easier than switching to slavic or turkic language

i can read very slowly cyrillic but not the handwritten alphabet. Russian is fucking hard desu

It's probably because you're a dumb yank though, everyone knows muricans can't into new languages.

We're just bad because we don't try at learning new languages. There's like no incentive in learning a new language for a lot of muricans.

why would you take the bait?

it might be bait, but it's true. how many of your friends are bilingual?

thats not the point. you're just opening this thread up to retardation. everyone already knows your point. this argument has been done multiple times a day every day for years.

idk thread is mostly dead anyway as are most threads on int during this time of the day. who cares?

Contribute and yet won't be dead faggot.

I have been. I posted some stuff up there^

>there aren't any good Russian films
Could you be more wrong?

Nothing. Same as Hoop dee doo.

Why would an American ever need to learn another language? Literally everyone speaks english

this is why people see americans as dumb

then why do they say it so much?

samefag

Only 25 percent of people in my country can speak English at a conversational (non fluent level).

And nobody in my country speaks your language at all.

When you guys read a foreign language do you translate what your reading inside your head to your native language? Or do you just read and instantly comprehend in the foreign language?

watch Masha and the bear and cartoons. also listen to music and sing along to improve your pronunciation

What is some beginner literature for someone who's currently learning French? I can understand simple sentences and adjectives and I can read it fairly well.

That means you are fluent if you just read and instantly comprehend

try reading harry potter, animal farm, 1984, the giver, and shit like that. anything aimed toward young adults or even children depending on your skill.

Translate in my head.

If you have the basics down, the world is your oyster, it literally comes down to not knowing vocabulary. But like said, any kind of translation of an American book is a good start.

You actually translate in your head? You must be retarded

Explain yourself.

>read English and it processes in my head in English as English and I understand
>read Spanish and it processes in my head in Spanish as Spanish and I understand

Then again I grew up speaking both so maybe that's why.

Are you begginers?

beginners*

obviously. if you're able to read something and not have to translate it you're fluent.

Not exactly, I don't remember doing that while learning, and at this moment I'm far from being fluent in English.

Perhaps you are underestimating yourself. I remember when I went from translating all English into Chinese (my native tongue) to simply reading in English. I also remember when my dreams transitioned from being Chinese to English.

Then it could be a matter of exposure to English from a young age and that it shares lots of vocabulary and some grammatical structures with Spanish so it makes it easier to learn (at least compared to Chinese)

Are you still translating in your head while reading English or you were talking about another language?

Also, the problem that I frequently encounter is the exact opposite of yours, I can make a text easily in English, but if i have to translate it into Spanish I'd struggle a bit because I haven't learned the "traditional way", but listening to songs and just reading. I don't even know how's that I know some words and some other things that I'm completely sure I've never seen it translated.

One of Trumps son does tho

So if you read it and can speak perfectly but translate to your native tongue you arent fluent?

I wish my dreams were in my second language. it would be like watching a cool surreal french art house film every night.

I think the moment you start thinking effortlessly in another language is moment you become native-level fluent. I was always very good at english, atleast compared to my peers, but i have only recently started to have my thoughts in English as well, at least i think so, maybe i did it before and didnt even realise?

wow sounds like you've practiced a lot. perhaps now you're just preferring english? maybe you've always had the ability.

I learned to transliterate and read Arabic for class within the first two weeks. It's not hard if you've got the right materials

I didnt practice at all, i played PC games since i was 3 and it came naturally. English is basically everywhere and most important thing in learning language is exposure

hmmmm, i should do the same with my games honestly. I just hate when my friends come over and my games are in a different language and they roast me. It's like sorry im learning another language.

You can be fluent in a language in 6 to 8 months if you spend time on it every day.

>arabic

are you terrorist?

no lol. my Sup Forums law studies is on the mid east so taking arabic makes more sense than fucking spanish or something.

I started translating to figure things out, now I figure things out within the language itself if that makes sense. I don't instantly comprehend everything but translating is harder than slowly sounding a sentence out and making sense of it. Sometimes neither translation or figuring it out works and I can't understand at all, I wouldn't say not using translation makes you fluent.

Is english basically the second everyone learns that doesnt speak it natively?