Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1774

Persistent Edition

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
We'd like to. Bitch to the mods.

Previous thread: → → →→

Other urls found in this thread:

incompetech.com/graphpaper/custom/centimeter-black.pdf
nihonshock.com/2010/02/particles-the-difference-between-wa-and-ga/
vocaroo.com/i/s0sigsDPxFrT
vocaroo.com/i/s12QrRl3QHQh
vocaroo.com/i/s0XhbsXmsmvA
vocaroo.com/i/s0JbwpZoQ6no
my.mixtape.moe/rvfbwy.webm
vocaroo.com/i/s1CA2VHZ96Wb
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_alveolar_trill
vocaroo.com/i/s197lF2LTgyP
ankiweb.net/shared/info/2413435972
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental,_alveolar_and_postalveolar_lateral_flaps
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental,_alveolar_and_postalveolar_flaps
youtube.com/watch?v=5k_LDXa3lPk
vocaroo.com/i/s0ttuLhkkeGm
pastebin.com/gtBrJjTa
youtube.com/watch?v=AXXfEHq2EQU
mysuki.jp/pronunciation-rl-110
youtube.com/watch?v=1EtAj4ilezU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Go 4 hours without a thread
>Make new threads within 8 seconds of each other
Un-fucking-believable.

I want hentai

/jp/ is that way

/jp/ is very hostile

finally a DJT, I was waiting for hours
I'm about to do Anki again for second time ever

How should I go about it?
Is it worth writing the characters on paper as they appear or is that overkill?

Last time I copy pasted all the characters that showed up and put them on Jisho to see various readings and stroke order etc

t. on day 2 of anki

I wouldn't bother with writing stuff, unless you're really getting confused by conflicting or similar looking words. Also, I'd not bother with stroke order or various readings, if you're doing Core just focus on being able to read the words and remember the pronunciation and meaning.

Here's some stuff I wrote up in the old thread about using Anki. This is how I use it, just a general guide line.
Important to know: forgetting is part of remembering, and to read aloud.

If you want to learn how to write, writing practice is the only way to do that. Although, you don't have to write it out every time, just look up stroke order as you encounter new ones. When reviewing, do a mental stroke order of the kanji or trace it in the air / the table with a finger tip.

Copy pasting characters into jisho is a bit tedious, but if it helps you to remember the characters when initially studying them, I'd say it's not a bad thing to do, if you have the patience for it.

Being able to write is important to me though, and I think it should help with retaining meaning and such.

I thought about doing it mentally or tracing it in the air as you said, but with Kana (which I just finished learning) I pretty much only have the ability to recognize them rather than to write them, as I rushed through it to get to the Kanji, and I sort of regret that.

Am I on a good track?

In that case, you're going to have PLENTY of opportunity to practice writing out kana just via studying vocab. Either kana only words, or the readings of kanji compounds etc. there is plenty of time to remember and practice your kana so don't sweat it.

Try to write each character in a same size " square box", no matter how simple or complex the character. This will teach you to try and keep the characters somewhat balanced with each other, and the individual radicals fitting together in balance. Simple grid paper will help a lot with this if you can print it out, otherwise eyeball it on lined paper.
incompetech.com/graphpaper/custom/centimeter-black.pdf
Yes, it will be hard to fit some shit in there at first. I recommend to use a very sharp pencil or thin tipped pen (that doesn't bleed after writing for a while or you'll encounter ink blobs).

In general, try to not write things more than 5 times past the intiial "what the hell is this stroke" phase, as your time is better spent actually studying vs making your chicken scratch pretty.

Only a confident hand can produce good looking characters. Good luck.

How do I get that proper Japanese R sound going?
I'm 90% sure I'm doing the R sound correctly, but I want it to sound more clearly like an R without actually saying American English or Swedish trilled R.

I mean most of the time Japanese R sounds overwhelmingly like L to me, but sometimes you can hear the Western R sound taking over in certain words and when said by certain speakers.

I'm using paper with square boxes, though not proper 原稿用紙

アリス) 辛い料理は、好き?
ボブ) ううん、辛くない料理が好きだ。

For what reason does the second sentence use が instead of は?

nihonshock.com/2010/02/particles-the-difference-between-wa-and-ga/

because 好き is what is important in the response and he's answering a question :)

ハルー、エブリニャン!
アイ ウイシ アイ ウェア ア バード。

Counting in Japanese is hard ;-;
八日 is kctier in particular, why isn't it やつか instead?

t. new

vocaroo.com/i/s0sigsDPxFrT
Here, see if this helps.

>common vowel
Consonant, fuck.

teach me to roll my Rs like anime man

I use trilled R as my default Swedish R (it differs from rolled R somewhat) but I do know how to pronounce the Japanese flap R sound, but it sounds 80% like my default Swedish L and only 20% or so like my trilled R, I want it to be more 50/50

My Japanese R sounds like the R in "りゅ" no matter what I do, while I want it to sound more like the R in "桜"
Maybe it's just a psychological block, I don't know, but mine sounds like an L more than an R to me, even if there is a slight element of R to it.

I think that if I position the base of my tongue (while keeping the tip where it is) lower in my mouth it sounds slightly more like how I want it, but not quite.

Give me some sample sentences and I might try, I can only think of "horrrra, boke!"

Indeed, the L sound pushes your tongue down and lowers your jaw, while the R sound is more practical and just sandwiches your tongue in your allocated mouth space.

I'll record myself as soon as I figure out how to disable a piece of shit audio effect I have activated in some mixing software

Apologies about the shitty weird mic, volume keeps fluctuating for no reason

Swedish trilled R, sound comes from throat
vocaroo.com/i/s12QrRl3QHQh

Swedish L, tongue hits the roof of the mouth
vocaroo.com/i/s0XhbsXmsmvA

My "Japanese" flap R sound, the actual R element seems to be coming from throat while the L sound is due to the tongue being positioned similarly to my Swedish L but closer to the upper teeth, mouth opens wider than with Swedish L
vocaroo.com/i/s0JbwpZoQ6no

>I mean most of the time Japanese R sounds overwhelmingly like L to me
Do you have some examples?

I can only think of loanwords that are written using L while the katakana version uses the R equivalent.

I meant that Japanese R's sound overwhelmingly like Swedish/English/German L, with only slight traces of Swedish/American English/German typical R sounds.
It seems like some words are pronounced with a more "proper" R sound while others are pronounced with an "L" sound, though both of those "sounds" is the Japanese flap R.

二十日 is even more kctier since 二 isn't read as は and 十 isn't read as つ, at least not according to Jisho.

So I'm reading a handmade Pixiv doujin and this comes on my screen. Then I spend a good thirty minutes trying to decipher it until I give up.

Any of you have an idea what this is?

>二
>アル
what the fug

Got a larger picture with surrounding text?

Don't really know what the fuck I'm looking at. Is that even a single kanji or is it two?

Pantuya just came here
対比の「は」
「は」には
他のものと対比させる意味があります

だから

辛い料理は、好き?
(君は他に好きな料理もあるだろうが、辛い料理も、好きですか?
→辛い料理も食べられる方ですか)
というnuanceがある

辛い料理が、好き?
は、単に゜
辛い料理一般が、好きですか?
というnuance

Sure.

Sorry about not capturing the text that comes after.

Here's the full line with the missing kanji labeled "_"

そんなに。。。___れたら気持ちよくなっちゃう

>try to torrent manga
>no seeds

そんなに
暴れたら
気持ちよくなっちゃう

Given the angle it could be two kanji. Or this guy could have bad penmanship. But he's never put two kanji that close before like that.

スゲー! ありがと!

Hey DJT how's it going?

How did you faggots set up your mining decks?
What's your card layout and what infos are you importing?

I just set up mine and pretty much copied the core layout and added a button for quick jisho lookup.

That's how it looks, rather lame to be honest.

Is there a way to get example sentences per button press as well?

my.mixtape.moe/rvfbwy.webm
Does this help? I'm out of ideas.

どうしてDJTはINTにいるの
いなかった間に、なに起こったか

>How did you faggots set up your mining decks?

i'm truly setting myself up for disaster

[spoiler]FUCKING BRING IT[/spoiler]

こちらで話そう

I like EPWING, but sometimes EDICT is better (usually for idioms or set phrases). I dumped EPWING2Anki (which gives me this layout) since it would sometimes import the wrong word.

When I do use Rikai's auto-import, I usually import audio and the sentence I found it in as well.

Looks fine to me.
A mining deck is the only kind of deck I've ever used. I even write the English parts myself even though I almost never look at that part of the card.

>added a button for quick jisho lookup.
how

My Swedish trill sound comes from the throat, but it's basically just blowing air out from my throat and turning it into an R somehow.

I think the tip of my tongue goes to the roof of my mouth and then air passes from the throat out through the mouth, creating the R sound.

Here's what it sounds like if I close my teeth and just "blow" an R sound, the tongue functions in the same way as when I say R in normal conversation.
vocaroo.com/i/s1CA2VHZ96Wb

Kind of weird now that I think about it, not really sure if it's actually a trilled R or if it's something more unusual.

I guess I'll just keep trying until I hear myself say the proper "R" that I'm looking for, but the flap R I have right now is fine for now anyway.

そうか
あのスレにはもういる

言葉を一つだけでカードしなかった方がいいよ
文章はもっとうまく効く

It's better to not make cards with a single word.
Sentences work better.

My job's annual Christmas party is tonight, and I really don't want to go. But everyone is pressuring me to go.

I think I'll just go have a few beers and then go home.

Wouldn't I start remembering the sentence instead of the word, though?

>When I do use Rikai's auto-import, I usually import audio and the sentence I found it in as well.
Do you add the sentence manually?

No, you'll remember words and sentences and grammar.
Also words are better to be learned in context because you cannot substitute english words with Japanese's ones and create a sentence.

>how
You know where you can change the card layout and stuff?

put this on the back

Jisho

var chars = '{{Vocabulary-Kanji}}';
var str = '';

for (var i = 0; i < chars.length; i++) {
if (/[\u4e00-\u9faf\u3400-\u4dbf]/.test(chars.charAt(i))) {
str = str.concat('' + chars.charAt(i) + ' ');
}
}

document.getElementById('kanji').innerHTML = str;
I hope it works for you, cause I played around with my settings multiple times so no guarantee it'll work for you.

Nah it does it automatically. Occasionally it doesn't work very well though.

Perhaps, how would I even set up the card like that though? Has anyone ever actually successfully mined and learned this way?

I am doing it this way.
Wait a sec and I'll post my card layout

I think this is the type of R I say
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_alveolar_trill

Danke

Front

{{Esempio}}

{{hint:Definizione}}

var rubys = document.getElementsByTagName('ruby'); var spans = document.getElementsByTagName('span'); for (var i=0; i < rubys.length; i++) { for (var s=0; s < spans.length; s++) { if ( spans[s].className === "cloze" && rubys[i].contains(spans[s])) { rubys[i].className = "cloze_container"; break; }}}

Style

.card {
font-family: arial;
font-size: 25px;
text-align:center ;
color: white;
background-color: black;
}

.JJ {
font-size:25.0px;
font-family:"Arial",sans-serif ;
color: black;
background-color: white;
}

.ParolaFronte {
font-size: 90px;
}

.TraduzioneParola {
font-size: 30px;
}

.Esempio {
}

.RuoloG {
}

ruby rt { visibility: hidden; } ruby:hover rt { visibility: visible; }

/* This line is Added by Cloze Furigana Tools to make its various features work. CFT.260.00*/.hidden {visibility: hidden; font-size: 0;} .hidden .cloze, .cloze .hidden {visibility: visible; background-color: white;font-size: 0.8rem;} @-moz-document url-prefix() {ruby {position: relative;display: inline-block;} ruby rt {position: absolute;display: block;font-size: 0.5em;left: -50%;bottom: 115%;width: 210%;padding: 0;text-align: center;line-height:1em}} .hidden .basemaru {position:relative;} .hidden .basemaru:after {content: "◯"; visibility: visible; position:absolute; left:0;} .hidden .cloze .basemaru:after, .cloze .hidden .basemaru:after {visibility: hidden;} div{line-height: 2em;} .cloze_container .hidden {visibility: visible; background-color: white;}

{{Esempio}}

{{hint:Context}}

var rubys = document.getElementsByTagName('ruby'); var spans = document.getElementsByTagName('span'); for (var i=0; i < rubys.length; i++) { for (var s=0; s < spans.length; s++) { if ( spans[s].className === "cloze" && rubys[i].contains(spans[s])) { rubys[i].className = "cloze_container"; break; }}}

Esempio=Example (The sentence)
TraduzioneParola=Word translation (I input the Japanese definition now)

Context=(To show the complete paragraph where I found the sentence)

It's better to not make cards with a single sentence.
Chapters work better.

It's better to not make cards with just a single chapter
Books work better

I have a hint button which shows the whole context if needed.
I think that whole chapters are too much.

>I think this is the type of R I say
AH, now we're talking! Here, I think I've got the solution for you, then:
vocaroo.com/i/s197lF2LTgyP

I have a hint button which shows the whole context if needed.
I think that whole books are too much.

I'll give it a shot. At the very least it will make Anki interesting for awhile. Thanks

No problem.
It works best with a branching method for Japanese definitions though.
If you want to know what's that I can tell you my method.
Since all the words are connected and repeated many times they strenghten each other.

ankiweb.net/shared/info/2413435972

Not a button press, but you find this useful.

How do you mine words, though?

Is there an existing deck with phrases going from ez to hard?

I just read native material.
Used to read VN, after that LN, now reading natives' explanation of は が in Japanese since は is my weakness.
When I find a sentence (not a word that I do not know) which is written in an unusual way (at least for me) I add it to my deck.

It looks a little redundant with a short sentence like this, sometimes I put 4+ sentences on the front for context (I remember which book and when it was from)

Thanks but if I just do a voiced alveolar trill then it becomes a pure R sound rather than an L sound, at least to my ears.
See The "Swedish trilled R" as I called it is how I usually speak, and that is the voiced alveolar trill, though it originates in the throat like the voiceless alveolar trill which I mentioned aswell.
I'm trying to do a flap R which is quite different, as it has strong elements of an L sound in it,

Anyway this helped me figure out what I'm looking for, or the correct terminology to describe it anyway.

The standard Japanese "R" is apparently a Alveolar lateral flap R, which to my ears manifests itself as being largely an L sound, the R I'm looking to do is a Japanese "aggressive" R sound which to me actually sounds like an R and which is called a Postalveolar trill (Portugese uses a "regular" alveolar trill)
Though Wikipedia says this
>Some languages that are described as having a lateral flap, such as Japanese, actually have a flap that is indeterminate with respect to centrality, and may surface as either central or lateral, either in free variation or allophonically depending on surrounding vowels and consonants.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental,_alveolar_and_postalveolar_lateral_flaps
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental,_alveolar_and_postalveolar_flaps

That handwriting is worse than mine but at least you found out in the end.

作りましょう
作りましょう
さてさて何が
できるなか
Eternally etched into my brain. What manga are you trying to download?

>What manga are you trying to download?
すみっこの空さん

Here is a special video to /DJT/ from Namasensei himself

youtube.com/watch?v=5k_LDXa3lPk

Yeah, you might be overthinking, even in Anki half of the sample voices use a very quick tap, with the other half doing a full trill.

It's the same with G, that ranges from a normal G to the NG glottal sound.

You sound like a cat purring. God damn, wish I could do that.

Can you find a torrent for volumes 7 or 8?
Also, why not try direct downloading the rips? It looks really cute so that's what I'm going at the moment. Slow as shit downloads but better than dead torrents.

kobawa motherfuckers

I didn't see anything for 7 or 8, and the only direct downloads I found for it used Rapidgator and required a premium account.
If you find a good direct download, let me know.

But yeah, its great. I read the available translated chapters a long time ago.

>kobawa

I think of Japanese R more like a fusion of English R, L and D. When I try to produce a らりるれろ mora in isolation, the blade of my tongue starts out pressed against the edge of the alveolar ridge before I ever start expelling air, and then pushes off from the roof of my mouth like it would for a plosive T or D just as the airflow begins and my mouth shape shifts into the vowel. When I produce らりるれろ inside of a larger word, the "push off" happens immediately after my tongue makes contact with the roof of my mouth, with only a bare minimum of obstruction of the airway, which I guess is what makes it a "tap."

vocaroo.com/i/s0ttuLhkkeGm

The way I make Japanese R's using my English mouth might not be useful to you and your Swedish mouth, but I like to try to be helpful.

Everybody can roast my pronunciation and make me feel like shit for trying if they would like

pastebin.com/gtBrJjTa
These are the two I'm currently downloading from. In around 35 minutes I'll know if they were legit or not.

Think he's mimicking Namasensei, man.

I kow
It seems that the oe key that is left to the M key i my qwerty keyboard is ot workig

>3181 total unique kanji
I don't know about your pronunciation but I think thinking of it as like a "d" or "t" is likely to make it much more plosive than it actually should be. Try to do it soft like an "L"

If you guys want to practice your japanese listening skills, I think this song is a very good choice

youtube.com/watch?v=AXXfEHq2EQU

Plenty of this song is sung in a traditional Kyoto-style accent so prepare your ears accordingly,

send help

>30 new words a day

people actually do this? you aren't learning Japanese that way

What's harder, native English speakers pronouncing らりるれろ or native Japanese speakers pronouncing the "L" sounds?
mysuki.jp/pronunciation-rl-110

What do your cards look like? recognition vocab cards with a word on the front and reading/definition on the back would take me probably half and hour or so to review that many but it always feels a lot longer during.

Do people in Kyoto actually wear kitsune masks, that's creepy af

what. Kitsune has nothing to do with kyoto and is a japan-in-general thing

what is exclusive to kyoto culture is the Geisha, some bamboo forests, Inari, and of course that giant fucking mountain that takes 2 hours to climb

oh and there's a castle. gotta visit the castle

Yeah it's recognition. It takes about 35 mins to do the reviews, plus some extra for the new cards. But yeah it feels like it takes a lot longer

Don't worry my average is higher 30 is just what I have left over from yesterday's mined words.

monkey park > bamboo forest

The bamboo "forest" is like a single block

youtube.com/watch?v=1EtAj4ilezU

Help me with translation this shit.
I'm confused

>I'm confused
So explain what you're confused about. It's not really a learning experience otherwise.

You're gonna do that weird ass disguise to nab someone? It just makes you stand out even more.

I'm just tired, okay, what "つて" meaning?

I mean, if you're going to kidnap someone, wouldn't wearing such an odd disguise only make you stand out?

That is a small っ