Why americans call it soccer, not football?

Why americans call it soccer, not football?
And why is a sport that predominantly has nothing to do with the foot called “football” in US?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Why americans call it soccer, not football?
Not sure, but maybe they like to be a special snowflake.
>All the world use the Metric system, but USA use their own.
>All the first world, develloped countries got an effective health care system, but USA use their (wealth-based) own.
>Every democracies vote for their president, but USA don't do it. They just elect the loser.

No, they didn't elect Hillary.

She was technically the winner.

Every English speaking anglo country calls out soccer except the u.k

No trump is technically the winner

>No trump is technically the winner
"The people" votes don't say so.
In a real democracy, Hillary would won.
I'm not a hillary fan tho.

First of we are a republic.

Secondly trump won 30 states out of 50

FPTP is still utterly retarded, no matter whom it benefits

japan also say soccer .

>First of we are a republic.
Are you kidding me? Or just very stupid?

No the us is a republic. Switzerland is the only country i know of that is a direct democracy.

with fraudulent popular votes? Ok france, time to put you to sleep.

Because after WWII you started to blow US balls. One of the worst cases of Stockholm syndrome the world has witnessed.

Brits called it soccer until after ww1. That's where it comes from.

American football is called football because colleges started playing soccer with rugby rules and never dropped the name

>soccer with rugby rules

Both sports, along with rugby, Aussie rules, etc. are all considered different "codes of football" since they share a common ancestor. Also, using another family of sports, when one says the word "hockey" in different parts of the world it can refer to either the ice version or the field version depending on which one is more popular. Likewise, the same applies to why most countries call association football "football" due to its popularity while Americans do the same for American football. This isn't true for all codes though, with rugby being one of the exceptions.

I guess it's easier and more fun to say that Americans are stupid special snowflakes, so whatever

yeah they want to be special snowflakes

No, we just don't care what the rest of the world does and we aren't just going to drop everything for sake of change.

>football
>spend 99% of the match using your foot to hit the ball
>american football
>grab the ball with your hands 99% of the times, occasionally hit with feet

>Brits called it soccer until after ww1
Except that's not true. Don't try and talk facts when you don't know shit about what you're talking about.

The official name for the sport upon the creation of the Football League (before WW1) was "Association Football". And this is where Americans got the name, Soccer, from. The "soc" in Association Football.

Surprised on one has posted the real reason: Americans are fucking retarded.

Since it's a footy thread.

What's your favorite player?

Messi, because i identify with his autism.

Suarez cause i identify with his bloodlust

robben, muller, suarez, everything they do evokes delicious butthurt

Good thing we aren't a "real democracy" then.

Real democracies are overrated anyway. The masses are stupid and there should be some checks and balances and the constitution should be more important.

You like... biting people?

Tru.

fred

Brits were calling it Soccer up to the 80s but they always have to be a special snowflake. Also historically football just means a game played on foot not necessarily kicking a ball.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)