Pronunciation

How to correctly pronouce words in other languages?
Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s10WlcSBKkA7
vocaroo.com/i/s1ZMxVuQRxM4
vocaroo.com/i/s1mTH7arA56T
vocaroo.com/i/s1bvxqQk0IVO
vocaroo.com/i/s0k5ScqYCge7
vocaroo.com/i/s095Sf6pciVm
vocaroo.com/i/s0biC6uQosOo
youtube.com/watch?v=4om1rQKPijI
vocaroo.com/i/s0D5gmZbzL9r
vocaroo.com/i/s0nK1VdbBmMw
youtube.com/watch?v=jrgO_9ey53M
vocaroo.com/i/s0A8C3Dhyc9K
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Ja-Shi.oga
vocaroo.com/i/s0ys9JwdQuyS
vocaroo.com/i/s0v23J0tmc4h
vocaroo.com/i/s1coNZUKcQQt
vocaroo.com/i/s0Sbq6uEmb4Q
vocaroo.com/i/s0LFMA7pio1T
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What English words do you want to know senpai?

I can't make the R correctly

vocaroo.com/i/s10WlcSBKkA7
Which one?

I'll make a vocaroo and uploaded, and i want you to rate it

Get your head out of your ass and listen for a change.

I have noticed people who can't pronounce words correctly are generally the ones who don't give a shit about others. They are so used to the sound of their own voices, they can't conceive any sounds that are not already part of their own set.

But there is also a small share of people who are just too unaware of their own vocal traits. Usually because they don't speak much and haven't tested out what kind of sounds they are capable of. If you practice singing, and getting an emotional connection with voice, you might overcome this problem.

There are still some tricky bits, though, like Mandarin tones and Russian palatalization, but a bit of practice goes a long way.

Here:
vocaroo.com/i/s1ZMxVuQRxM4

World and girls are hard for me to pronunciate

I cringe whenever I hear my recorded voice.

>World and girls
move the two sour parts of the tongue up to where the tooth meets the gum to mak the "r" sound, then make the tounge narrow and touch the tip of the tounge to the point above the two front teeth for the "L" sound

Your R sounds fine (although sometimes it doesn't come out at all), but I feel the accent comes from having too much contact with text and little with sounds. Pay attention to when you say "spiritual" - the R sounds fine, but you say "spi ri tu al" instead of "spur tchul", which is the actual contour of the word.

Also I sense some kind of effemination in your prosody, do you per chance got the lisp and/or are gay?

I can't say bear beer. Can someone vocaroo that?

vocaroo.com/i/s1mTH7arA56T

vocaroo.com/i/s1bvxqQk0IVO

>little with sounds
not really. i only watch videos in english on youtube.

>Also I sense some kind of effemination in your prosody, do you per chance got the lisp and/or are gay?
yeah, i'm gay. i thought it would show up

bear vs beer
year vs ear
help

vocaroo.com/i/s0k5ScqYCge7

Rate pls

I'm pretty sure it's not pronounced as "beeuh-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah. Work on it. Or get an anti-virus.

Ah, I see. Well, keep listening and imitating - that's how you break from the written form and get into the mishmash of nonsense pronunciations of English. Written words are generally just a reference for a sound you must have memorized before.

I like to impersonate characters and speak to myself in their voices, narrating everyday life or something. You will notice more flow errors by doing that in contrast with a pre-existing character because it sets expectations. When you speak with your own accent, there isn't a "correct version" to compare with.

good job

kek
hey finnbro, would you mind rating this please?
vocaroo.com/i/s095Sf6pciVm
I'm sorry if I butchered your language.

I'll try doing that. Thanks.

Best laugh I ever heard

Well I understood almost every word there. I can't actually say more than practice those äs and ös. And also you sound pretty soft with the pronounciation. I don't know how rough it up. Points for Ensiferum. So I would say: good foreign/5

>I can't actually say more than practice those äs and ös.
Yeah. These are hard as fuck for me

>And also you sound pretty soft with the pronounciation
Yeah? How so? Would you mind recording yourself?
Also, I think my pronunciation improves a little bit when I drink lots of coffee. Does that happen to you?

Well I don't know how to make it more rough. And I'm not going to sing.
Maybe less that "h" sound. Too much air flowing through the mouth?

>And I'm not going to sing.
It's Sup Forums. No one will know it's you. Come on, now.
Singing is fun!

Well, I'll sing instead, then.
vocaroo.com/i/s0biC6uQosOo

Can you do ejectives and implosives, Sup Forums?

the fuck is that?

To properly pronounce Slovak words, laser-amputate the part of your brain that produces vowels.

I can do sound IPA claims to be impossible, don't you challenge me.

Any French word with a soft "R" sound, just use a "W", they'll never know

pls link to the original song^(

Pronounce this:

A tie vrabce z toho tŕnia, štrng-brng do tŕnia.
Strč prst skrz štvrťkrk.

the fuck?

Welcome to the Internet.
youtube.com/watch?v=4om1rQKPijI

I have no idea of what sounds these represent, give me a couple minutes to figure it out.

Here, rate me vocaroo.com/i/s0D5gmZbzL9r

well your version is better

pretty good famalam

At least you tried, the second take was a bit better:

vocaroo.com/i/s0nK1VdbBmMw

The second sentence is hard even for me, but both are nonsense tonque twisters.

Btw what languages are you learning? Are you interested in languages in general?

thanks, american bro.

>peepoppeepoopi

Is Finnish just scatting?

What does hipput tupput tappyt mean?

That's my favorite part

hipput tupput tappyt appyt tipput

>END IT SENPAI

Maybe you'd like it more weeb:
youtube.com/watch?v=jrgO_9ey53M

Yeah, I feel when I speak faster it gets better because the sounds connect on one another. By saying them slowly I get to make full-sounding vowels (or trying too hard at not making any), while when speaking fast, as you showed, words glue themselves together with a very faint "schwa" sound.

That's some pretty Arabic shit, nigga.

I learn Japanese and French, but I love reading/learning about linguistics casually, I've explored all corners of my mouth with articulation and even dabbled into some conlanging, for which I was too autistic because I didn't want to take loanwords and didn't want to make any vocabulary before having a full structure, killing all the fun...
I intend learning Russian and Finnish some day, and I might be forced to learn Mandarin or Korean in the future because of my work. Hopefully I can keep doing business with Japanese, though.

About 1/3 of this song is scatting, the other is Finnish. The linked version in this post is just scatting, derived from the original scat.

it's actually quite catchy.

what does it mean? I really like it

i don't know, bro

Setences like that are possible because r in Czech and Slovak is a semiwowel.
I was unable to find this for Slovak, but this Czech sentence was made in a competition to make a sentence as long as possible without the use of wowels:

Škrt plch z mlh Brd pln skvrn z mrv prv hrd scvrnkl z brzd skrz trs chrp v krs vrb mls mrch srn čtvrthrst zrn.

vocaroo.com/i/s0A8C3Dhyc9K My take on it.

But I cannot pronounce the Czech ř properly, fortunately, it is not in that sentence.

I am currently learning Russian and have a hobby interest in linguistics.

Through typical Slovak or even Czech sentences do not look like that ofc:

North Wind and the Sun in Slovak (standard linguist sample text):

Severný vietor a slnko sa stretli vysoko nad zemou a vznikol spor. Vietor sa vysmieval slnku, že je silnejší, a slnko sa vysmievalo vetru, že je silnejšie. Ani jeden nechcel ustúpiť. Nakoniec sa dohodli, že kto skôr z kabáta vyzlečie pútnika, čo si vyhliadli na zemi, ten vyhral. Vietor začal prvý - dul, fúkal a usiloval sa strhnúť kabát z tela úbožiaka. Dosiahol iba to, že ten pútnik sa lepšie zapínal a hľadal úkryt. Po chvíli vietor povedal slnku vyčerpaný, že sa to nedá. Slnko nič nepovedalo, len sa usmievalo. Usmievalo sa na pútnika tam dolu. O chvíľu si pútnik kabát rozopol. Slnko sa usmievalo stále silnejšie a jeho úsmev bol čoraz teplejší. Pútnik si vyzliekol kabát, a držal v ruke pri chôdzi. Slnko sa obrátilo k severnému vetru a stále mlčalo, len sa usmievalo ...

>Škrt plch z mlh Brd pln skvrn z mrv prv hrd scvrnkl z brzd skrz trs chrp v krs vrb mls mrch srn čtvrthrst zrn.

Satan is this Semitic?

Nah, Indo-European. Really.

obviously I was pulling your leg m8.

Semitic languages have a weird relationship with vowels

Thank Zeus for the Greeks ammiright?

AFAIK Semitic languages have plenty of vowels, they just don't write them.

There is a sound in Japanese, and I can't for the life of me make it.

I'm talking about the consonant inし/sh(i).

It sounds like a mixture between a pure "S", as in "salt" and "sh" like "shower", but pronounced at the same time.
You can hear it here upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Ja-Shi.oga

For some reason, my brain has it that these two sounds are mutually exclusive and can't be made at the same time, yet they do it somehow.

Here's one for you foreigners

If you ever want Worcestershire sauce, it's pronounced "wuhstuhshuh".

HARD MODE

Are you a bad enough dude to successfully pronounce a Welsh sentence?
"myfyrwyr hyn yma yn ysgrifennu llawer o lyfrau gwyrdd yn y llyfrgelloedd bob blwyddyn"

yeah. You have accent markings.

Ktb (KaTaBa) : to write

Ktaab (Kitaab): book

Book has an Aleph which is technically not a vowel but can be used as a vowel. Aleph is the same letter "A" in AL- ("the" article)

There's a voweling on Kaf in kitaab that's different from ktb

R8 vocaroo.com/i/s0ys9JwdQuyS
Tbh it sounds like Ustaše when I try to pronounce it, English = Nazi Croats comfirmed.

Are you Welsh? Do you know Welsh?

Pretty good m8

Bit too much emphasis on the "wuh", it shouldn't sound as drawn out but more quick and low. Almost guttural.
But other than that almost perfect.

I'm English but have taken a 6 month Welsh course in the past, it means
"These students here are writing lots of green books in the library every year"

Welsh was really fun to learn because it's really strange, absolutely ancient number system even worse than French, sounds not really found in other languages, Yes and no depending upon the question asked, no definite article and lots of words mutating the words which come after them

How well do you speak Welsh? Celtic languages have always fascinated me.

>no definite article

Heh, Slovak has no articles at all :)

>really strange, absolutely ancient number system even worse than French

French inherited that from a Celtic language spoken in it before Vulgar Latin, Gaulish, so they actually have a common origin.

I only mention definite article because i think it's weird that it has no definite article but an indefinite one

I don't speak Welsh very well at all because the lessons which I took were more written and grammatical with some history thrown in but I live in Wales and can understand a lot of things if I ever hear people speaking near me and a lot of written Welsh but accents really throw me off and I don't think I could hold a conversation in it

Interesting... the welsh number system works by stacking digits on top of each other, for instance 14 is "four upon ten" and 15 is a mutated version of "five-ten" (there are a lot of irregular numbers) but 18 is "three upon fifteen" and it gets really bad for larger numbers, like 69 is "four upon fifteen upon five tens"

The Welsh number system is crazy enough that many people use alternative phonetic pronunciations like "7-2" for 72 and some people just speak numbers in English, but knowledge of all this is needed to understand dates and times etc.

I find the sound of it quite interesting as well.

Funny thing is, Czechs say numbers in a different way despite our languages being very close. This is due to German influence.

Slovak: 25 = dvadsaťpäť (dvadsať = 20, päť = 5)
Czech: 25 = pětadvadset (pět = 5, dvadset = 20)

You sound cute

The ea in bear sounds like the a in air.
Beer sounds like deer
Year is just ear with a y before it, like just yir.

Did you ever hear any Slavic language by the way (other than Polish ;) )

vocaroo.com/i/s0v23J0tmc4h

vocaroo.com/i/s1coNZUKcQQt
Does this help?

Here's my take on it:
vocaroo.com/i/s0Sbq6uEmb4Q

Practice and immersion. Languages closer to your mother tongue will be easier to pronounce.

Native English speakers often have difficulties pronouncing foreign languages correctly because of a few odd features in English phonology:

A) no monophthong /o/, only the diphthong /oʊ/
B) no monophthong /e/ or /ɛ/ at the end of words; in English it's a diphthong /ei/
C) no short Sup Forums or /ɑ/; the vowel in FATHER is long.
D) aspiration (a little puff of air is released) of stops. this isn't too big of a problem but e.g in Slavic langauges there is no aspiration, so aspirating the stops sounds weird.
D) the weird English rhotic (/ɹ/) that's shared with Danish and some dialects of Dutch, German, and Swedish.
English speakers often have trouble pronouncing the trill (/r/), or the uvular (a.k.a as "guttural", "French") rhotic - /ʁ/

vocaroo.com/i/s0LFMA7pio1T

Also, there's a fourth rhotic, a flap, (/ɾ/) that's apparently the "tt" in General American BUTTER.

I hear /d/ though in that particular word, but it's supposed to be like a trill but you only touch your alveolar ridge once, instead of vibrating.