Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1777

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
We'd like to. Bitch to the mods.

Previous thread: → → → → → →→

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4sCY3zmZwDo
youtube.com/watch?v=xUA-DcW1lFc
youtube.com/watch?v=0h5g9Ek0nB4
youtube.com/watch?v=qsc92pBaMkw
youtube.com/watch?v=7vwDALD4kYo
youtube.com/watch?v=2XNFo8o9j3o
youtube.com/watch?v=6c2KrD3LiLM
youtube.com/watch?v=aQGvlemqUpE
youtube.com/watch?v=DI8k1s8Mpxg
youtu.be/sJNxPRBvRQg
mega.nz/#F!RM4jQI7a!YdgqxrPcQeRnpHIqK2rsHQ
monjiro.net/
youtu.be/wpGgmJq2r9g?t=536
mega.nz/#F!tIoWDYKC!GR7LxTZApRU9EhZbL4zu7g
mega.nz/#F!sQYT2RYC!PbUnsSZ0mHr-ffmOIeKE1A
ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/触
jisho.org/search/触 #kanji
youtube.com/watch?v=5LI1PysAlkU
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwgua2rZwmHoQ3hlblpmbFVtbXc/view?usp=sharing
tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/show/75617
tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/search?query=足りる&from=und&to=und
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1199078757
youtube.com/watch?v=wPxenwL10wo
youtube.com/watch?v=tYW3w-Y4Gd0
youtube.com/watch?v=ShLDoQxBKS8
youtube.com/watch?v=5CY3DzIty-U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And here are a few favorites throughout the century, if you think you're too patrician to listen to weeb-released music.

youtube.com/watch?v=4sCY3zmZwDo (1933)
youtube.com/watch?v=xUA-DcW1lFc (1961)
youtube.com/watch?v=0h5g9Ek0nB4 (1964)
youtube.com/watch?v=qsc92pBaMkw (1965)
youtube.com/watch?v=7vwDALD4kYo (1968)
youtube.com/watch?v=2XNFo8o9j3o (1978)
youtube.com/watch?v=6c2KrD3LiLM (1972)
youtube.com/watch?v=aQGvlemqUpE (1983)

Chatomonchy as a bonus:
youtube.com/watch?v=DI8k1s8Mpxg

平和の宗教はまだ打ち出してしまった。。。

メルケルは多分、www大丈夫だってとような感じと馬鹿な表情で無用な物を言うだろう

I managed to finish RtK in 54 days doing production and writing each kanji before showing the answer. I'd like to congratulate myself but fuck there is still a lot I have to learn. I guess you need patience for these kind of things. How long did it took you guys to reach a level where you can read some basic stuff? Like NHK Easy and such.

モハメッドちゃん落ち着けてなさい、ドイツはなくならスレッドがもう死んでしまうかもしれない。ちゃんと感謝をみ見せましょう。

Are you able to write kanji from memory easily because of these studies? I skipped it because mnemonics suck ass, but feel I might need to study something similar in the future if I ever want to remember how to write stuff.

Year of regular if not very intense studying and I can read NHK easy unless I can't because I need to look up a new word or two. No idea when exactly I got to that level, you just need to drill the fucking vocab.

>Those neet study hours

おれを黙らせるつもりか

イスラム教徒に死を
ケバブを除却しろ

Which writing style am I supposed to use?

Yes I am. If I cannot write the kanji correctly out of memory after seeing the English keyword I fail the card. I find mnemonics really useful but you need to make them yourself or at least find some that make sense and are logical to you. Heisigs stories are sub-par at best and he's stopping providing in the second part of the book.
Actually, I started RtK because I was unsatisfied with the retention rate I had while doing the Core6k deck recommended in the guide. I was doing both for a short while but then I took a 2 week long break because I was on vacation with my family and couldn't bring my computer with me. When I returned I failed somewhere around 60% of the cards in the Core deck wile retaining above 70% of these in the RtK one. That's why I made the choice to focus on the RtK first.
Thanks for the answer. I guess there isn't really much point in thinking about that, I just have to drill vocabulary and learn grammar like you said. I hope I manage to get to a decent level before the end of 2017.
I'm lucky my university course isn't really intense. At least not yet.

Left is handwriting, right is computer font

I always do it PC-style, look at the two different forms of 家 in jisho.

Damn, I really don't want to deal with mnemonics... maybe I'll do a radical deck after I finish joyo (I'm almost there) or make reversed reviews aiming at writing correctly..

is the thing you draw, if you exclude the "ice" radical or whatever, even correct? it looks like as if it doesn't exist at all or am I retarded

Yes, it is correct. At least to all the dictionaries I saw. Handwritten forms differ sightly from their printed forms. Think of it as in the case of the letter 'a' in Latin alphabet. You probably write it differently compared to how it is displayed on your monitor. Or 'き' and 'さ' in case of hiragana.

Or just stop giving a fuck about production, it's not that useful. I practice writing because it's fun and helps memorize new words, but I accepted the fact I will never be good at producing kanji. Everyone has a phone nowadays, even if you had to handwrite a few moonrunes for whatever reason, you could quickly look them up.

apparently even nips forget to write the basic stuff after school because they are all just writing on their phones etc. nowadays

youtu.be/sJNxPRBvRQg

スケッチブック 第12巻
mega.nz/#F!RM4jQI7a!YdgqxrPcQeRnpHIqK2rsHQ

読んでみちゃ
面白かちゃ
福岡ん方言はちょーおかしかぁんばってん
楽しかし
monjiro.net/ - probably inaccurate as fuck but still fun to play around with.

Uploading volumes 1 to 11 plus the 出張版 and Anniversary Book limited edition which came with volume 10, just to have it all in one place.

youtu.be/wpGgmJq2r9g?t=536
>あおい
It wasn't a meme

What meme? I think it's a pretty straightforward concept, even if it's very broad.

You don't know the memes? Wow, Sup Forums djt really is something else

I don't. Maybe someone should do an Anki deck with every DJT-curated meme, key name/avatarfags and shitty language youtubers to take advice from, so I can better fit in.

Kebab is good taste.
That is often sold in Akihabara.

I think user is referring to how 青い can refer to both blue and green.

And what do you think I was referring to when I said the concept is simple?

I assumed there is some other kind of traditional DJT meme regarding 碧い, else he wouldn't say something so baka々4i.

I think Germany cause a religious reformation again and they had better make the Super-protestant.

>I assumed
Not worth it most of the time, really.

コトノバドライブ
1~3
mega.nz/#F!tIoWDYKC!GR7LxTZApRU9EhZbL4zu7g

From the mangaka of ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 and カブのイサキ.

まりまりマリーゴールド
1~2
mega.nz/#F!sQYT2RYC!PbUnsSZ0mHr-ffmOIeKE1A

It's fun.

So I'm currently working with the Kanji deck in the cornucopia of resources and it's all production cards.

If I'm focused entirely on reading, should I just delete the production cards and go entirely with a recall setup? Or is there merit in learning how to write kanji if you're just interested in reading?

I "finished" core6k a few days ago.

Should I move onto 10k or actually look at textbooks and study grammar points instead?

I want to mine but Anki without the core audio is not comfy.

I don't think the core10k extension has audio

Read shit and add words you don't know to anki

>棒読み
>reading a Chinese classical text without translating it into japanese
what

I managed to expand my deck to 10k with pic related, although I dun goofed and the word type (noun, adj, etc.) has been stripped out.

It does have audio.

Also there is "Core30k", has anyone downloaded it? It's not recommended that you in fact study it, but you can use it to "mine" from it by searching a new word you've learned and seeing if it's present in the Core30k.
I'm not sure it has audio, probably.

If you're capable of writing something you can obviously read it, so you'll have greater comprehension. But there's nothing stopping you from learning to write later.

All roads lead to the same place. Just pick one and keep on truckin.

>It does have audio.
Oh. I remember there being something about audio.

Does anyone know if you can hide the tiny kana on Google's Japanese keyboard for Android? I'm thinking about getting a smart phone but this keyboard just looks ugly as hell. It should just be あかさたなはまやらっわ。Do they think we're too stupid to remember where the other sounds are?

I suppose there is always the Simeji keyboard...

I can get audio for the vocab, but I mean example sentences with audio.

Does 10k not have those? If not, I'll just stick to mining words.
I do wish some Intermediate hell anons would upload their mining decks. I want stuff that's a little bit (a lot) harder than Yotsuba already.

Is there no website where you enter a kanji and it gives you the radical? Or even better, all of the parts. I can't find what the radical for 触 is

>角虫
wut

Wikipedia?
ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/触
部首: 角
Or jisho.org
jisho.org/search/触 #kanji
As for the parts, the distinction of those is more arbitary, but you can see jisho listing a selection.

fukin weebs lol

Thanks, didn't know wikipedia was useful for this. And I was looking at the wrong jisho page, for words and not kanji.

辞めてもらう他ない
偏(へん)は角
造(つくり)は虫
だが
実際には
触は觸の略字であり、部首は角(つのへん)である
> more arbitary
Kek out loud
>触は觸の略字であり、部首は角(つのへん)である
you mustn't pretend to know
above

Does anyone know if you can hide the tiny letters on a normal keyboard? I'm thinking about getting a PC but this keyboard just looks ugly as hell. It should just be q w e r t y etc. Do they think we're too stupid to remember what letters the keys are?

Wh-what's wrong with the keyboard

I don't understand what exactly you're saying, but you can buy keyboards with blank keys. Das has blank models and at least one other brand does too. Alternatively you can buy blank keycaps and put them in a suitable keyboard of your choice. Not related to djt though.

>

Sorry, Pantuya, I was out of line.

Hey, when did you started to get the ability to just run through a text and just understand it ?
As in, not really read it, just scan it lightly and understand it ?

One year and one month here, and i'm nowhere near that, reading is still quite the active process.
Getting easier and easier, so i'm getting there, just want to give me perspective.

wwwww 面白い

Seriously though, what the fuck google. It's an obvious pattern: ~u is up, ~i left, ~e right, and ~o down -- that's only four fucking things to remember.

youtube.com/watch?v=5LI1PysAlkU

if you want know Japanese texts actually
you should come to native Japanese' thread

I've been studying Japanese for close to three years, anki for the prior two of those and reading pretty consistently (couple hours a day with few exceptions) for the later two.

What you call "scanning lightly" and "not really reading", is what's known as skipping what you don't know and getting a vague understanding, not completely understanding. That, yeah, that was easy to do at the end of year 2, I would just pick up a light novel and have at it, not even using a dictionary out of laziness. Doesn't take too long, as you get the 10k most common words down or whatever and ignore the other 10k-20k. It only takes a long time if you want close to 100%. I'm at year 3 and it's still hard. For non-easy stuff that is.

Nah, i'm talking about like with you're native language ( and english for us filthy ESL ).
Like, your post i didn't really read it, four seconds spent tops, something like that.

So, the "never saw that kanji" or "what the fuck do those two kanjis mean together, like what the fuck is going on" effect never truly disappear then ? Sucks.
I guess a pocket dictionnary will have to be part of my permanent utility items.

I don't feel ready to bother you with my retarded ass just yet.

イかせてやる - I make you cum.
イかせてくれ - Let me cum.
To say "let me make you cum", I thought it would be イかせてあげてくれ but that doesn't sound right. Does イかせてあげていい? make more sense?

If you "read" that whole post in 4 seconds, then you definitely just skimmed it and missed a lot of detail and meaning, it's too long to read in 4 seconds.

Putting that aside, you were just not being clear unfortunately. What you mean to say is "read without effort". Saying "not really read it" (combined with "scan it lightly" subsequently) definitely gives the implication you're referring to skimming, not reading at a comfortable level.

Now that I know what you actually mean... kanji definitely become a non-issue. I can read kanji as if they were letters, and can read Japanese scripts easily as if it were English. Easy works like LNs I can now pick up like normal YA English fiction.

What takes a really long time to go away (I'm guessing it'll probably be around five total years of consistent reading for me at least) is grasping 100% of the text's meaning. For me, in harder texts I see words and feel "I kinda remember that, and contextually it'd make sense to be X, so..." but that leads to sub 100% understanding. It takes a long time to know "all" the words a native adult would be expected to know.

Fuck off attention whore.

Like, I could upload my mining deck, but it wouldn't be very helpful. The point of mining decks are that they are customized to you.

I often would make my own cards on my phone and some cards don't have definitions, a few even have completely blank backs, some have japanese definitions on the back, etc. It really wouldn't be very useful for anyone else.

Just keep reading stuff where you can find a good 20-30 cards a day to mine and you'll keep improving. And more importantly just read more.

I'm native English and that post took 15 seconds to read. I'm generally considered well-read, and while I don't believe in speed-reading, I understand its utility.

If you wanna read Naruto or something, you'll get to that level. But why bother, if you're engaged in the hobby to enjoy it? You're not really reading, just glancing and understanding the main idea.

There are some people who read without "hearing" the words in their head, but that just leaves you missing out on most of the enjoyment of literature. When you get to that level in Japanese largely depends on whether you're able to stop reading the words in your head though, I suppose.

I read a lot and usually end up with 50-100 possible mined words a day.

There's too much diminishing return involved and spending too much time making a deck, although personalized, wouldn't really fit with my schedule.

I'll keep asking because there has to be one user autistic enough to make non-JLPT resources for intermediate learners.

drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwgua2rZwmHoQ3hlblpmbFVtbXc/view?usp=sharing

This is useful and definitely a step up, thank you.

Would using an English translated visual novel alongside the raw one be a good idea to check my understanding, or would it be too much of a crutch? One of the things I struggle with the most as a beginner is the lack of feedback.
Obviously I would try to figure out the sentence on my own first, and it would have to be a vn that actually has an English translation.

I don't know if you're ESL or just not particularly well read, but it's entirely possible to read that post and gain all of the necessary detail and meaning in 4 seconds. It's just a matter of being so used to English words that glancing over them is sufficient to intake their meaning.

As for Japanese, I can do it for lighter texts, which don't use particularly complex sentence structures or less common words I might have to stop to think about, but for anything more difficult I do have to take it at a slower pace and digest each word one word at a time. I imagine over time the level of texts I can do it for will change though.

I'm sorry -- I half posted that tongue-in-cheek, but I suppose if you were to add a field that is just the vocab word itself, you could blaze through that.
Be careful though, I've noticed some incorrect readings while going through it -- so far only 2 out of 300ish cards.

You can't get out of input. If you learn a bunch through anki without reading it just means you will be able to recognize a lot of words in readings, but you probably wouldn't recognize half of them spoken and you couldn't be able to use almost any of them correctly.

You really shouldn't need to mine that many words if you have finished Core10k, and if you haven't finished Core10k why would you ask for someone's mining deck instead of just continuing through core?

Do you guys know any ways to make Anki more comfy?
This gamepad add-on looks legit.

If you do this, only check your understanding at the end of the chapter/volume/day. If you get "out" of thinking in Japanese, your mind won't be able to adjust back easily - which is why you shouldn't read something with an English translation close at hand.

Most of it I could read/understand, and I could guess which words were supposed to be the target language for each card after showing the answer. The J->J translations are useful though.

I probably won't save the deck, but hey, still appreciated.

I only finished 6k.
My output is practically nonexistent.
That's why I want audio/sentences, shadowing is the only real practice in production I get, as sad as that is.

What a waste of time

Waste of time? What do you mean?
I think it's a lot more comfortable than having a keyboard in your lap or holding your phone for 45+ minutes.

What the fuck is wrong with the Sup Forums mods

amerad: old style american
anilard: pig which eats moe anime
amelard: american pig
animerican: american anilard

which is you?

Did something other than kicking DJT out happen?

>風の強さに驚きました
Why に? What if I put は in there instead?

Autistic oldfags

にをつかってね

にはでもいいよ。うけみかな

>風の強さには驚かされました

YOU were surprised AT the wind, right?
If you use は, the strength of the wind was surprised.

Thanks. Particles always trip up a dummy like me.

There are probably English texts which you can't speed read too, if it has lots of unusual words or fancy sentence structures for example.

Well if you did that you would change the whole meaning of the sentence

W-why?

Who knows?
tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/show/75617
tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/search?query=足りる&from=und&to=und

ankiweb.net/shared/info/1199078757

You guys are still here? Even after like a month?

Why would you think otherwise?

I thought /djt/ would be right, but I guess not.

Has anybody else encountered a "snobbery gab" when studying Japanese?

That is, you're perfectly thrilled to be reading anything at all or talking to anybody about anything when you first pick up the language, but as time goes on you get tired of manga and would rather not talk to dumb 20 year old girls about the same tired topics.

But, you're still not good enough to watch a top tier kino, read a literary masterwork, or have an insightful conversation with somebody.

That's where I'm at right now and it sux. My world is so noisy because I can understand all the idle chatter in the office, all the words that advertisements yell at me, etc, but know nothing I want to know.

How do I get over the hump lads?

I don't know but I only started reading manga and LNs because I was learning Japanese. I guess if you aren't a big reader in English then you can't really expect to be one in Japanese either

I *am* a big reader in English.

But I don't read YA trash or scifi/fantasy paperbacks.

The problem is, that's essentially the level I'm at in Japanese right now. I can only understand pleb shit.

Yeah it usually takes me ages to find something I want to read. Somehow I got proficient anyway. You could always go non-fiction if there's something that interests you. Like Japanese history or something idk

(私は)風の強さに驚きました
The subject is often omitted in Japanese.
The subject of "風の強さに驚きました" is 私, which is omitted.
Therefor, we cannot use は instead of に in that sentence.

Yeah, I'm making do with history books right now. They're easier to understand than fiction.

しこれ

>I can get audio for the vocab, but I mean example sentences with audio.
>Does 10k not have those?
Yes, it has. That's why it's 500mb-heavy.

>kino
Why would a 20 years old girl be tired of talking with 20 years old girls?

Yes: you can create generals, as long as you don't name it a general and doesn't have a pastebin. Beats me.

Modcat is dead. Hurr up and come home, faggots.

Just started on reading Yotsubato and it's pretty painful. Only about 19 pages in.

What's the best way to 'learn Japanese' from reading manga? I haven't mastered Tae Kim and it's been months since I just stopped doing the anki stuff. Might have to start again but I'd like to get some advice anyway.

Best Japanese band
youtube.com/watch?v=wPxenwL10wo
youtube.com/watch?v=tYW3w-Y4Gd0
youtube.com/watch?v=ShLDoQxBKS8
youtube.com/watch?v=5CY3DzIty-U

Yeah, what is the goal with Tae Kim?
Am I supposed to be taking away a comprehensive understanding of elementary grammar, or just enough knowledge to recognise grammatical constructs so that they can be looked up in TK/DoJG/etc. to build comprehension further down the track?

Grinding anki at least feels like I'm making progress, but learning grammar is a chore. I've stalled halfway through TK for a few days because I couldn't actually remember anything I'd studied up to that point.