Castles

Post castles from your country or ones you really like

Im a bong but i really love teutonic brickwork

What was even the point of castles? Why were europeans building them? Can't you just go around it?

>he didn't play age of empires 2

What? They're not barricades.

to take control of the land the enemy has to take the castle or build a bigger one nearby

she's perfect in every way

Why, though? You already control the land, while your opponent sits inside a castle. It never made any sense to me when I read about european history. Everywhere across the world wars were won by winning battles, in Europe people seemed to jsut build castles everywhere.

Versailles is just a tourist meme, this one is more beautiful

>build castle on important trade route, crossroads or defending a pass/river crossing
>they have to take it to capture cities or trade routes
Or
>build castle wherever in natural defensive position near something valuable like a city
>Enemy COULD just go around it but if he does the castle's garrison will be free to go out and attack the enemy's supply lines

kinda neat

>enemy's supply lines
But that's the thing, there were no supply lines back then. Armies were getting supplies by foraging.

I'm quite fond of those bulwarks on mountains.

It's basically a fortified military base, if you go around it the knights and men at arms stationed there will start going around raiding your shit and run away back to the castle when you try to stop them.

you are confusing between castle and fortress,
as you describe, it's fortress
castle were residential for high born and such.
they're in comfy locations, desu

>You already control the land
But you don't control the land if your opponent has a permanent troop presence in it and you don't. Also in most cases all you'll even get from taxing the peasants is food, you need to keep it somewhere.

>Also in most cases all you'll even get from taxing the peasants is food, you need to keep it somewhere.
Ok, that's one explanation that makes sense, castles were simply fortified manors. Thanks, user.

Here is your reply, now please stop

What do you do when enemy raids are burning down the villages you just captured and destroying crops before you can forrage from them?

No he isn't, in the middle ages anything referred to as a castle would've served a defensive purpose. I know that after feudalism French continued to refer to countryside residences of nobles as castles whereas elsewhere they called them manors/palaces etc.

(you)

Isn't that the castle that was used for Nosferatu?

No idea.

what's with the nonce

why is he posting this a in a castle thread? doesn't poland have castles?

Looks like it is, i knew i had seen it some where before.

>Orava Castle (Slovak: Oravský hrad, German: Arwaburg, Hungarian: Árva vára), is situated on a high rock above Orava river in the village of Oravský Podzámok, Slovakia. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful castles in Slovakia. The castle was built in the Kingdom of Hungary in the thirteenth century. Many scenes of the 1922 film Nosferatu were filmed here, the castle representing Count Orlok's Transylvanian castle

not the coolest but i wanted to post something from my area

outside my area

enjoy ur bans

bamp

Royal castle on the hill of Wawel - at the centre of Kraków

That is really nice

This too, sort of an english tudor house look

Moszna :---DD :-DDD

RIP

What happened to it?

wow, who took that photograph?

Literally nothing.
He's literally in the picture dude.

It's great.

I'm just making fun of the fact that there's 3 (three) signatures in the middle of this incredibly average pic.

Silly me... It's really empty now, and that Austrian military barrack is a sore.

Silly me... It's really empty now, and that Austrian military barrack is a sore.

I really like Guédelon Castle, which is currently being built in France using period-specific techniques/materials as a huge experimental archeology learning exercise. I keep day-dreaming about going there to help them build as a volunteer.. but I don't speak French.. and I have no money... and I'm a pathetic loser...

COMFY

I was there last year, it's really fun if you like History

I do.
Apparently someone tried to start a similar project here in America. But they were complete morons and decided to build it in fucking Arkansas, the walmart/"freedom fries" capital of the world, and they expected to fund the project on tourist dollars. which is sort of like building a Holocaust museum next to Mecca. It did not go over well, and the project has been halted indefinitely.

What happened to this btw? :D

That's pretty cool, you could use one of those in America desu.

I want to live in a castle

Why don't you?
When I was in Germany, my great grandmother took us to visit a castle that had apartment's built into it (and a restaurant, and an art gallery).