How could you do 40k justice on the big screen?

How could you do 40k justice on the big screen?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Black_Library
youtube.com/watch?v=5f_LDrKzqFU
youtube.com/watch?v=XwiQbnUh4us
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

An overblown mess with no ending aimed at 12 year olds with rich parents

>no ending

40k is a setting not a story

I'm confident George Miller could do orks justice

Eisehnorn trilogy and after that Gaunt's Ghosts trilogy.
See how that goes and then go all out W40K Cinematic Universe.

Are those series connected? I have Gaunts ghost omnibus 1, but not Eisehnorn. Gotta read it

no. just the goat writer is the same.
I read eisenhorn trilogy and now I am reading Gaunt's ghosts 2. There are 13 volumes so I am not sure if it could become a trilogy.

..oh shit... Ghaunt's Ghosts tv series with like 6-7 seasons maybe!
>muh duck

It would have to be a TV series, adapt one of the more restrained stories like Fifteen Hours.

Space Hulk.

40k would just be a CGI mess. For a movie to take place you need more than just WAAAARGH.

I find orks boring

Orkz are meme magic incarnate. How can you not love them

maybe because of that? I like gork and mork though.

You can't. it's such an absurd, extreme setting. Nerds think it's cool but I imagine it'd be tolerated even less than Warcraft.

Make it b/w. Viewers must colorize it by themselves.

Eh. You could do a good amount of practicals. They built a real rhino for a video game promotion even.

Orks are really the most absurd thing to try life action. Then again war boys in mad Max were very much orks. 40k already takes from a lot that's already been in movies

Small small small small small small small
Like the tiniest little slice of life day-to-day warfare kind of shit
< 15 minutes youtube video with bad production quality but a lot of heart kind of shit
Like Dredd but minus several thousand dollars
Anything 'cinematic universe', trying to adapt an entire novel right off the bat, will fall flat on its face

I agree with something like Dredd. Maybe something about Guardsman or an Inquisitor

I genuinely wonder if whoever was responsible for the Warboys motifs plays Warhammer 40k.

Dredd would be a good Commisar

They have to. They are so much like orks it's insane.

I think Ravenor appears in Gaunt's Ghosts at one point

Adeptus Arbites are literally Judges

Starship Troopers but with the bugs replaced with demons.
Or green soccer hoolagans.
Or fuck, just keep the damn bugs.
As long as there are skulls everywhere and at least two people have giant cauldrons.

I find you boring.

Maybe some kind of drama set on a hive that's slowly falling to chaos cults? Let the action take a back seat for a little bit and ease people into the idea that there's more to 40k than shooty-shooty.

You couldn't. There is no director that could do the 40k universe justice and no studio willing to shell out the requisite metric fuckton of dosh to do it correctly. Any Hollywood production would inevitably play the Warhammer setting too seriously, missing its roots in satire of sci-fi and fantasy stories from magazines like 2000AD and Heavy Metal. The only spin-off that has ever nailed the perfect mix of grim-dark edgyness and satirical zanyness that is the hallmark of Warhammer 40000 setting is the original Dawn of War. Now even Games Workshop itself seems to have forgotten its roots, so what hope would a big-budget movie have?

What races/factions would you want to see in a W40K movie?
I think the most boring story would be Chaos versus the Imperium of Man.

Tau are objectively the coolest
Although I haven't played the tabletop game since I was about 14 I still love the world and lore to 40k, and tau are what I know least about
mysterious and foreign things are cool

>Tau are objectively the coolest
>mysterious and foreign things are cool
Except Tau really arent all that mysterious, and at least compared to modern man, aren't all that foreign either, in fact I would argue there's plenty of movies featuring civilizations similar to the Tau already. If you want mysterious and foreign, your best bets are probably Necrons or Eldar.

Hey can anons rec where to start with 40k. I don't have the money to do tabletop but I'm interested in the lore.

Or Dark Elder better yet.

40k is fucking shit and gay

You're fucking shit and gay

A mix of Saving Private Ryan's intense violence, Edge of Tomorrow's CGI, and Starship Troopers sense of scale, also Avatar's Budget.

by playing "hurt" by johnny cash

Chaos :^)
But if we're being serious start with learning the lore because everything builds from there.

sign me up
>I don't know what 40k is

Either adapt Gaunt's Ghosts or Caiphas Cain. That way you can have relatable human characters in a universe populated by eldritch monstruosities, warmonger fungi and space elves.

you couldn't because warhammer 40k is an autistic mess designed for losers with too much free time that requires hours and hours of reading and buying shit to understand what is going on and the "names of all the cool units"

>Immortal psichic born in the bronze age becomes Emperor of humanity in the distant future.
>begins a crusade to unite all human colonies in the galaxy and free them from ork and dark eldar raiders.
>FTL travel works by opening a portal into a dimension of pure fuck you, populated by psychic energy beings that are either manifestations of the good will of sentient beings (most gods) or their evil (chaos gods).
>Emperor creates quasi-clones from his own DNA, the Primarchs, later founders of the Adeptus Astartes. They are modified to endure conditions hostile to humans, and are loyal to death.
>Chaos steals these quasi-clones and they are thought to be lost. However, as the crusade goes on, the Emperor finds his "sons" one by one. He builds an army of super humans with them and conquers most of the galaxy.
>Horus, his favorite son, betrays the Emperor by joining a rebellion against the Imperium. He has been corrupted by Chaos.
>Half of the Astartes legions fall for Chaos, and a galactic civil war happens.
>Finally, Horus and the traitor legions get to Terra, and the Emperor and Sanguinus teleport the ship of Horus to kill him and end the civil war.
>Sanguinus and Horus die, Emperor is left in critical condition, becomes a human sofa and is currently used to keep the dimensional fuck you from devouring the galaxy.
And that's the backstory only. The thing goes on and on for like 10.000 years of history.

You mean Cenobites in space? I mean, he even has the lament configuration...

The first Ciahpas Cain novel includes Imperial Guard, Inquisition, Tau and Tyranids. It may be the best gateway movie for a 40K cinematic universe.
>inb4 warhammershit

in what medium can you experience it? Books, comics, video games? Where should I start?

All factions have a book with both background and rules. Then there's Black Library, the publishing division of GW. It releases all novels and background books. I liked Gaunt's Ghosts for a serious take on the matter and Ciaphas Cain for a comedic one. There's also the Horus Heresy series, that take place during the war between the Emperor and Horus. Avoid however anything by CS Goto. Check the wiki:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Black_Library

Oh, there's also a shit-ton of videogames, mostly crap.
The Dawn of War series, however, is godly, specially Dark Crusade:
youtube.com/watch?v=5f_LDrKzqFU

The best way I think to capture this is following a single marine through a constantly escalating battle. starts with simple 2 sides, have marines drop in, longer it goes on, more factions and more powerful characters are introduced, with shit getting majorly fucked up. The one marine has to overcome all odds by himself, sacrificing himself to destroy the planet or some shit.

The Second War of Armageddon.

You'd follow Commissar Yarrick as shit gets real on the hive world. Orks coming in, guardsmen, Space Marines.

It's probably the only story that would be viable for a movie.

You mean the plot of Space Marine?
youtube.com/watch?v=XwiQbnUh4us

That sounds like it exactly. The whole point is that it's over the top.

Is it just me or do Tyranid get shit on A LOT in novels and lore?

>yfw you realize the Emperor could have killed Horus with next to no effort but he was holding back because Horus was his favorite son

They are the ultimate enemy. It's easy just to copy and paste them into your story if you don't know what to add to make the universe even worse.

Emprah was a bro.