3x3

Post your charts, rec, rate, etc.

Any ideas for a theme?

Links for chart-making:

>bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php (square format)

>ipiccy.com/ (keeps cinematic ratio)

Test

i've seen about three threads today where people have discussed 3x3 threads, continue the work op (if its u- ghostdog)

anyway i g2g will speak in tomorrows thread if its up and alive

I watched Knight of Cups and really enjoyed it, but the ending left a little to be desired and I don't know if I should put 3 Malicks on my grid. I look forward to rewatching it though, then I'll reconsider

I see you enjoy the films of Paul Thomas Anderson

>Malick
>PTA
>Carruth
It's hard to be on Sup Forums sometimes.

But ya, especially his latest stuff I find fantastic

have you seen map of the pilgrim posted on other threads?

Still haven't seen Knight of Cups but judging by the trailer it seems like something i would like

also

3/5

waddup boi

forgot to save pilgrim map so post on here for me n others

watch it boi

nice boi

srs g2g bi

o shit whaddup!

>spring breakers
>only god forgives

While I at least appreciate the cinematography in OGF, Spring Breakers was an edgy film taking a shallow concept (people expected a fun party film so I gave them a psychological crime film haha!) and stretching it across 2 hours with bad acting, bad characterisation and stupid dialogue

I will never understand how anyone can defend it

> (people expected a fun party film so I gave them a psychological crime film haha!)

that's the viewers fault for not knowing its a Korine film..

>While I at least appreciate the cinematography in OGF
you didn't appreciate cinematography in SB?

>edgy
wew

>crank high voltage
>the raid 2
>john wick

I have, I haven't really read through it yet, but I plan to do so as well as look into tarot cards before my rewatch
I loved the trailer and was cautious going into it due to the many less than positive reviews, but in many ways, my expectations we exceeded. It's a surreal experience, with a story I didn't want to end. So dreamlike. But you know how in the trailer the ominous techno music stops and the emotional triumphant music comes in? I kept waiting for a moment like that in the film and it never came. That's why I said I found the ending unsatisfactory. But I think going back into it knowing no specific moment of triumph comes, I'll be able to appreciate the ending that is there a lot more, and see what it's trying to do.

>that's the viewers fault for not knowing its a Korine film..

Korine clearly intended for the film to seem like that - watch any trailer for it. He even admitted it in interviews and the entire point of the film was to subvert that concept. Which could've been done in 5 minutes. But he spends an entire film stretching it out cause he's such a rebel

lol I used to have Spring Breakers on my chart as well. Here's why I liked it.
1. Beautiful - colorful and stunning film
2. Funny - not just because it was a satire, which I know you picked up on, but because is so ridiculous
3. Fun - most importantly, it's (in my opinion) entertaining. A quickly paced story, light hearted nature, fun characters, and parties all adds up to a fun movie for me
4. Satisfying. First off, sexually. The movie heat getting hotter and hotter. But more importantly, I found the storyline itself incredibly satisfying. It gets so over the top to the point that two party chicks take out a loaded gang. And then they go back about their normal, post spring break lives. For me, at least, it was the type of movie where you want the plot to go a certain way and then it does.

Now I may be biased because I'm a Korine fan. I legitimately enjoyed Gummo and Trash Hunpers (haven't seen Julian Donkey Boy yet). But Spring Breakers doesn't take itself to seriously, in fact doing the opposite, while still offering a fairly interesting critique of the party mentality coupled with competent and pretty filmmaking

i thought the pacing was quite nice desu

Not regular, OP. I think he said he wouldn't start one for a while, since the last few had been slow.

just finished donkey boy about an hour ago
but that and spring breakers are the only ones I have seen

Hit me with your best shot you fucking cunts

Gummo is great even tho i never want to see it again. I also really love trash humpers. I like that its basically korine doing a found footage movie.

Spring Breakers is definitely my favorite Korine movie

I mean I guess it's good if you're just starting to watch movies after immigrating from NK

I don't know why I'm grouping these movies together, but I just feel markedly better after watching these films and the grouping feels right

Shit, wrong grid

Not a huge fan on the Matrix senpai and haven't seen Bad Boys, but Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski, and Inglourious Basterds are good movies. Perhaps lacking in artistic merit, and certainly accessible to anyone, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that if that's what you're looking for. Would hang out with and recommend movies to/10

thoughts?

Nice on Tree of Life and Zerkalo, what are the rest?

4/6

Was Triple 9 actually that good? I guess compare it to another couple of movies so I get an idea of it

I really enjoyed it
Best film I've seen released in 2016 so far

Was Triple 9 that good? I was hyped but the reviews weren't great. Nice chart btw

>all these plebs
get on my level

Nvm I see

Valley of the Bees, Zerkalo, Tree of Life
Sans Soleil, Prospero's Books, Ordet
Color of Pomegranates, The Ascent, Throw Away Your Books Rally in the Streets

no u

Should probably get around to watching more foreign stuff

I didn't recognise any of them, congrats

Passing On
The Sheik
Blow Debris
Casanova
La Revelateur
Rape Climax
Annie Oakley: The Little Sure Shot of the Wild West
Eye Above the Well
The Idea of the North

And they're all shit

decent
though i hate no country for old men

recent shit

how was tale of tales?

watch man bites dog (sociopathy) or some dreyer (formal focus)

Is the sequel to Major League any good? According to RT it's shit but I've heard that it's just as good as the first one

>that fourth wall breaking in Le Revelateur

It's like comparing Caddyshack and Caddyshack 2

Dull

Have you heard the Nicolas Jaar album supposed to be a new OST to Pomegranates?

What's the one in the middle left?

>how was tale of tales?
Underrated as fuck
John C Reilly was the only bad part of it. Rest of the film was a beautifully dark fairytale
Definitely worth checking out

Both of these are correct. Nothing wrong with liking those movies, but they say nothing about your taste. Everyone likes those movies, and everyone just into films has them as favorites. But hopefully the fact you're here means you're interested in expanding your horizons, so that's good.

No, but thanks for the recommendation!

huh, i normally like john c reilly. I'll try to get to it then.

le revelateur is pretty great, though. as is eye above the well

Its amazing imo but i'm a Jaar fan, Darkside and Space is Only Noise are one of most listened albums

6/7, very nice.

A slow thread like this would be fine if it were on a slow board. But instead it starts strong and when a lull hits, it gets archived because the rest of Sup Forums is so fast. It's sad that a great thread such as this dies so quickly.

But at the same time, I'm not sure if I want more attention drawn to it. I don't want people to come in and sabotage or flood with memes. And even if the influx was of legit people, I do enjoy the small community we've got going. I want discussion like this to spread through Sup Forums or at least reach more of its posters, but it's so comfy to know each other's tendencies or be able to ask about what's going on outside of the internet.

Anyways, I ultimately believe all the mentions of 3x3 threads around the board are a good thing, I only hope things don't start to change within here too much

>paul thomas anderson

my nigga

Why do people dislike him again?

Someone who loves Armond tried to force the meme that PTA made insincere films, whatever that means.

It means he swirls his camera all about like some music video goon with no cohesion to his visual design, his films are overstuffed with grandstanding performances and out-of-place music meant to make easily impressed kids like you feel like you've witnessed something impressive. Watch more films.

>warrior of cinema
Classic Korinefag

>swirls his camera all around
Have you actually seen his movies? One of the coolest things about the direction of Inherent Vice was the way the camera just sat there, letting the story unfold. He's great at pulling performances out of actors. It's sounds like you've only seen There Will Be Blood and decided all PTA movies are like that.

So you haven't seen Magnolia, Boogie Nights, or The Master? Why did you even reply to me?

Please elaborate on "no cohesion" and "out of place music". I'm not discounting your opinion, I'm just curious if you're doing anything beyond regurgitating what you've read elsewhere, and if so, what your thoughts are. If you genuinely dislike PTA, as someone who generally likes his movies, I'd love to here an opposing point of view. I don't mind being challenged, lets see what you've got

How did you arrive at that conclusion? I have seen them. What exactly in The Master came across as swirly or insincere?

No cohesion in this instance refers to his visual structure lacking a coherent point. I cant give examples of something that I'm arguing he doesn't have. Out of place music refers to the orchestra rape in There Will Be Blood and The Master or the sappy hallmark shit that undercuts any of the potentially successful emotional moments in Magnolia.

For one, the figure eight tracking shot of the woman walking through the department store which is a total jerk-off.

nice taste

Names?

>visual structure lacking a coherent point.
What films have this?

Whats the upper middle?

Ok I see what you mean. I still disagree with the music, but that boils down to personal preference. Within TWBB the sirens at the beginning were off putting. But his use of Brahms violin concerto was fantastic. I had no issue with The Master soundtrack.

I've always felt that TWBB is a flawless film, yet it feels so empty. I enjoy watching it, but beyond the technical proficiancy, it seems like little more than a platform to show off cinematography and acting chops. Ultimately I don't have a problem with this, though I wasn't a fan of Boogie Nights, and I also feel that it doesn't hold true for his most recent efforts in The Master and Inherent Vice. Perhaps the latter's depth was thanks to Pyncheon, but The Master felt extremely sincere and emotional. Again, acting is the focus here, not direction, which I could see as causing some to dislike his movies. But to me, his last two, even three, films have been grand, beautiful, and greatly enjoyable to watch.

It's also probably true that I HAVEN'T seen enough movies to be able to judge visual composition, so perhaps someday PTA's style or lack there of will no longer appeal to me. But on many many levels I hold that he is a great filmmaker, or at the very least, capable of putting out very good movies carried on the shoulders of actors and other contributors.

May I ask which chart is yours? I appreciate your articulation and am curious the types of movies you enjoy.

what a disgusting little fucking poser you are
i'm surprised you didn't throw some warhol or benning in there, maybe you did
but i like Enjeru dasuto too much to say anything else about your chart, except fuck you poser

*parp*

do you think you're in any way funny?

Checked and keked and keeping this thread alive

*parp*

Bump.

DUMB
FORCED
"GENERAL"
BY SOME SAMEAUTIST
ALSO CROSSPOSTING Sup Forums AND Sup Forums KIDDIES

these threads have been here longer than you
plebian