Battlestar Galactica

>Is BSG still the best post-2000 sci-fi show?

>What other shows 21st century science fiction series can compare? I've heard The Expanse is good, could it be the next BSG?

>What is the best/your favorite BSG episode?

>Best BSG character(s)?

>Who is best girl? Athena, Starbuck, Caprica-Six, Number 3, Dee, Cally?

>If we saw the full boxing tournament, who do you think would have won? Tyrol? Helo? Starbuck?

BSG is shit.

Good actors, decent premise, absolutely awful writing.

>lol god did it

It's a damn shame we probably won't see a new adaptation of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for a while. I really hope to see someone produce Life, the Universe, and Everything as well as Mostly Harmless.

Cally a cute

Cally.

Show had a cool premise, but the character writing and much of the plot was just poo poo in the toilet. Lots of really annoying characters.

Farscape and Caprica are both good.

BSG episode where they liberate New Caprica was pretty epic the first time you saw it.

Gaius best character.

Cally best girl.

Starbuck strongest fighter because plot armor.

shit taste desu

There aren't that many other choices, other than a robot chink, a robot generic blond, a transvestite, and a milf with cancer.

uh go to heck you friggin guy

you're forgetting the poo in the loo who works for the milf. she's pretty foxy

>vomit.jpg

And fuck her for what she did to Cally.

Kill yourself

SGU>BSG for obvious reasons.

Seriously though I loved BSG but SGU is my favorite show of all time. It's the only series that I can remember watching from beginning to end multiple times.

>what the actress looks like today affects how cute she was in the show

I wouldn't recommend looking up present day Shirley Temple, user.

Forgot pic

the last season was a mess, particularly the series finale

Everything went down hill with the Cylon reveal then crashed and burned when they killed Starbuck.

Basically it took a nose dive when they started making the mystical/religious bullshit a real part of the plot.

Can you call it scifi? I mean I took it at face value since it looks and feels like scifi but after watching a couple of years ago I can't really say it is scifi, at best soft scifi when you compare it to genre staples.

Tech level/setting is more or less current level but in space and the focus isn't on science aside from the first few episodes which focused on the cylons as a race made from scientific folly but more on religion and religious themes and symbols and god magic in the end of the series.

I liked fat Lee, but forgot how annoying the warbley camera movements became.

Fat Adama was funny. But it's more of a symbol of when the show went to shit.

doesn't get any better

Hard sci-fi can fuck right off. Human drama and politics will always be more interesting than obsessing over dumb tech and minutiae

Wasn't that during New Caprica? I feel like it only really got stupid in the 4th season.

Never actually managed to get through S3. And I've tried.

>So far yes, The Expanse could bypass it but that depends on how they adapt stuff from the next few books.

>See above.

>Exodus Part II.

>Model Six and Lucy Lawless were usually HNNNGGG-tier, but Cally and Dee were pretty cute. Six to bang, Cally to settle down with I guess, just gotta watch for the post-natal depression that made her shrewish.

>Tyrol's ragemode is fearsome but Starbuck is the writer's pet, she'd win it easily.

>William Adama, why is this even a question?

awful show

Do you think Gaius ever jerked off in front of her?

She jerked him off with the power of his mind.

God willed it.

Not even joking.

>Human drama and politics will always be more interesting than obsessing over dumb tech and minutiae
One does not exclude the other. Heck by the end BSG wasn't even human drama and politics, just "you got to believe bollie!" shit.

I fucking HATED that fucking Lampkin lawyer and his fucking godawful filler episodes.

I don't think they showed it but I hope somehow he died badly.

I'm not saying they're mutually exclusive, but I'll never understand people who balk at science fiction that doesn't take the science seriously. Personally I have no issues with blurred lines between sci-fi and fantasy, I like them both in equal measure.

>Heck by the end BSG wasn't even human drama and politics, just "you got to believe bollie!" shit.
Fair enough, the ending was indeed shit

He's so fucking cringe-worthy with how hard he tries to seem mysterious and cool. I honestly hoped he would turn out to be a cylon just trolling everyone

>it's a gaius gets aways with it again episode
>it's every episode

The 100 filled the BSG shaped hole in my heart.

It was good up until the end of season 2. Season 3 was when i realized the writers had no fucking idea what they were doing and where they were going.

The 100 is such utter shit compared to BSG, there's barely even a comparison to be made.

I won't act like BSG isn't a better show, but The 100 is still p good.

ffs BSG is nothing more then
muh critic on war on terror during Bush

Its SHIT AF BORING

Great series until the Final Five, which killed it

something about that face of hers turns me off, not sure what

Starbuck was definitely the writer's pet (best pilot, best shooter left in the fleet, expert melee fighter), but I'm not sure she is actually the best in a melee fight despite being good at everything at near mary sue levels. Especially a boxing match where she can only punch. My vote for the boxing goes to Tyrol or Helo. I think the two of them are probably the best melee fighters in the show (Tyrol is a beast when angry, not even counting Cylon strength and Helo was shown to be pretty damn good at fighting and soldiering/surviving on Caprica) with Starbuck third or maybe second behind one of them. She's unrealistic in terms of being good at everything (especially being called the best shot left in the fleet when there were marines -- she's supposed to be a fucking pilot), but I don't think she could overcome Tyrol or Helo's physical advantages in a hand-to-hand fight. Plot armor not engaged anyway. She still beats Lee though... he's not the best at anything and was the worst used main character in the show.

Athena best girl

My favorite was the one with the Adama maneuver. You know which one.

Also, I feel like "The Expanse" might end up giving it a run for its money,

>You know which one.
Fucking hell yes my boy.

agreed, not only a qt but Boomer/Athena is the most interesting character arc in the whole show

>Cool show killed by 'muh god complex'
Why does every sci-fi show do this shit? If it isn't some god at the end of a series like this shit, or Qu, or whatever, then it's fucking time travel or magic.

Was there a worse officer than Crashdown? Instead of listening to the Chief that knew what the fuck he was talking about, he just pulled rank and almost got everyone killed. He also threatened a fellow soldier. He deserved what he got. Though Tyrol should have beat him half to death first.

Farscape doesn't, although there is the occasional bit of "alien mysticism"

>Also, I feel like "The Expanse" might end up giving it a run for its money,
Really? I saw the first 2 episodes amd then wrote it off as modern tv shit, like most new series (especially scifi ones)

First post best post. BSG's writing was utter shit. First show I've ever seen where the Deus ex Machina is literal.

I liked the one space battle where the camera gets taken out though.
Show never recovered from New Caprica.

After pretty much the first episode Farscape goes from sci-fi to full blown fantasy. Still one of my favorite shows, and one of the best depictions of people dealing with aliens.

How could you forget about Xena

It's sad that only Tricia Helfer has posed nude. She's nice and all, but I would have liked Grace Park or Cally's actress in her prime more.

I don't think I've ever been that surprised and excited by a scene in a TV show.

"All hands, brace for turbulence."

>What? Where does a spaceship encounter turbule-WHAT THE SHIT!?

Eh, it's been awhile, and I was never into Xena that much anyways.

>Even the actor knows the show sucks so much he tried to eat away the pain

>it's a gaeta is suddenly gay episode

That was random

The first few episodes are a bit slow because they're doing world-building. Showing you that their setting is different to normal SF without just having characters monologue infodumps at each other.

Ep 3 is stronger and then Ep 4+ is in HOLY FUCK MY BALLS territory. It's a bit like the first season of Spartacus, in return for suffering through some cringey or boring early shit you get an amazing payoff for it.

Granted if you don't like Ep 4 The Expanse just may not be to your tastes and that's cool too.

Does that mean Gaius angel is the one that fucked Mary and is the father of Jesus?

It was always soft-serve sci-fi, but the writers never hit magical reset buttons or used silly deus ex machina shit to get themselves out of a corner, is what I mean

Expanse, sgu, dark matter

Why does Dee an hero out of nowhere? That seemed tacked on for shock value.

Yes. Remember when they had a chance to wipe out all the cylons and that one guy fucked over their plan and he was never punished for it.

You best be trolling. Human drama shit is where sci-fi goes to die. It is just daytime who's fuking who now soap drama shit.

>Expanse
Potentially, yes.
>SGU
Could have been, but they killed it when it was getting great.
>Dark Matter
Lol no.

there's nothing wrong with "soap drama shit," it can be done well or poorly like anything else

>it's an Admiral Cain is a bitch episode

They want to pull in the religious crowd.

>dark matter

>It's an, I cucked you out of your girlfriend and you die episode.

This.

Her marriage to Lee (who she still loved) was totalled because he'd always been in love with Starbuck. Her career was mind-numbing but she was stuck in it because the Fleet had to survive and find Earth. Seeing Lee and Starbuck every day. And then they finally got to Earth and it was a nuked-out, uninhabitable hell-hole so the Fleet would have to keep going, pursued by Cylons, with no hope for a better future in sight and only more pain and suffering every day.

I think it was slightly gratuitous that they offed a key supporting character to reinforce the point that SHIT IS REAL DARK NOW YOU GUYS but the notion of people in the Fleet more generally suiciding at that point is entirely believable. Dee had more reason than most.

>It's a gaius nukes the fleet and it's never mentioned again episode

Terrible final seasons.

Tyrol (no Cylon abilities)
Helo
Starbuck (no plot armor)
Apollo
Anders (no Cylon abilities)
Tigh (no Cylon abilities)
Adama
Boomer/Athena (no Cylon abilities)

How would you rank the above as 1) pilots, 2) h2h fighters, 3) leaders, 4) overall soldiers

She deserved it. By the end most of the main characters deserved to die.

>it's a Gaius has mind sex episode

All of those shows are good to great.

SGU is god tier.

The Expanse is solid/good but not truly great.

The most surprisingly good show is Dark Matter. On the surface it looks like just another shit tier third rate cabe tv sci fi show but they must have some truly talented writers on the team that know how to reslly write colorful and interesting characters.....season 2 when?

Why did Caprica fail so hard to gain an audience when BSG was one of the highest rated shows on the network? It deserved more. Also surprised Blood & Chrome didn't get picked up to be a full series. Syfy killed Sci-Fi.

> it's a sexy captive cylon gets raped episode.

Should I watch Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and the Blood & Chrome web series OR Stargate SG-1, Atlantis and SGU?

Caprica was a totally different show from BSG.

Although I liked it a lot and watched the whole thing in hindsight it makes little sense to think the majority of the viewership would carry over from BSG to a show that had zero similarities.

Did BSG really have that big of an audience when it aired though?

I thought Caprica was also great. Same world but completely different show. Great cast. Unique premise. Solid writing.

Watch BSG then SGU then SG1.

Caprica was good but lacked a clear direction.

I don't think they truly knew how to tie the show into the rise of the cylons.

Much like BSG I think they were just winging it.

Highest on the channel at least, I think. Possibly the most popular science fiction show airing during its run.

Watch Farscape instead.

Seriously though, i would skip Caprica. And prepare for some endgame shit that don't make no sense.

SGU was good for a hot minute until it wasn't. SG-1 isn't my cup of tea. And Atlantis is a dumpster fire.

I loved it right up until the last episode. So I just pretend it didn't happen.

Except they didn't pull it out of their asses.

>The first few episodes are a bit slow because they're doing world-building.
I can't be the only one that likes this.

Is for ->

Except yeah they did. It's very clear there was never any plan of structure from day 1.

The 100 is like a Twilight tier teen drama, whereas BSG is like, "OH SHIT, OH SHIT, OH SHIT, THIS IS THE END! WERE ALL GOING TO FUCKING DIE!!"

>SGU was good for a hot minute until it wasn't
Universe was pretty bad in season 1 what the fuck are you smoking. It got pretty good in s2

People usually only give a show a few episodes to win them over. I was gonna drop it but had nothing to do when Ep 4 was on and figured fuck it, why not. A lot of people who weren't book readers that watched it who I've talked to were in the same boat.

It worked but there is a risk to losing the audience in choices like that.

Ron Moore has pretty much said that they had a plan for the Cylons but then someone would suggest something else they thought was more awesome and then they'd switch to that and then someone else would suggest another thing so they'd jump on that.

They should have stuck with their S1 idea, which seems to have been "The Cylons know the prophecies of Pythia are real and that the Colonials can find the last outpost of humanity, so they're gonna make that happen, follow them to Earth, and then genocide everyone once and for all."

"But robo-mom and robo-dad didn't make me perfect, waaah!" was some seriously weak shit.