Comfy movies general

Starting with the comfiest

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke
youtu.be/tL1acYvpR_E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jed approves of OP's choice in comfy, and wants to remind everyone that he is the best actor to come out of the 1980's.

>tfw you try to pet the doggo but get brutally assimilated

Oh ho! If we're into animated comfy, please get yerselves Rocked and Ruled. Quite comfy.

Like I agree that most of the films being posted here are comfy as heck, but why? What makes a movie comfy?

Assimilation's not brutal, user!
It's c-comfy............BLAAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!

>watching the Thing
>heavy snowing outside
>neighbor's husky is watching me through the window while this scene is on

Comfy as heck desu

You have a good time watching it while not being on the edge of your seat

like a cuddle from a squid mmmmmmmmm

comfiest of them all

Rock and rule was pretty good. Picked it up when the hollywood video was going out of business for a few bucks.

was the game any good?

the 2004 remake was sooooo good

Exactly just, senpai! Cold and jabby and slimey and probey all at once
Fun times indeed, Thinganon!
For me, regarding The Thing, it is a combination of, erm, things - primarily, probably the acting: all of them really nailed their characters and, in my mind, sold their performances perfectly. I believed the people were real people. It 'felt' right. Add to that a nice creepy intimate mood of dread. Plus, not many movies showcase a 'performance' like Jed's. With camera angles and pacing - and the dog's own training - John Carpenter managed to create a convincing villain (that happens to be a cute doggo).

this the dude that lived alone in alaska for a long time?

Yes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

Shire-tier comfy

I feel like a lot of people conflate comfy movies with comfort movies. I think there's a big difference. Comfort movies are basically just entertaining flicks that you can watch over and over again, but I feel like comfy is more about atmosphere. Movies set in the snow, or on the water, or in single-location settings are a good indicators of comfiness. Group camaraderie where you have a sort of "hang out" vibe with the characters is also a big factor. It's hard to pin down exactly...

The Thing and Rear Window are both examples of comfy movies. Also, this.

here
Actually, looking at some of the examples, this thread is pretty good. Usually, it's people just listing movies they like, but yeah, Dawn of the Dead, Body Double, and Lord of the Rings are definitely comfy movies.

Comfiest heist movie ever.

Damn right

>OST by Damon Albarn
>spooky banjos

Colored people are a mistake should have listened to the mayor.

This is such an underrated film from this time period. Certainly more influential than people realize.

I know people have mixed feelings about it, but I find Signs pretty comfy.

orginal dawn of the dead
original day of the dead
heavy metal
adventures in babysitting
goonies
all lotr
scott pilgirm vs the world
lost in translation
can't hardly wait
cruel intentions
clue
twin peaks
big trouble in little china
(ill try to think of more)

The Blob (80s version).

now that I'm used to the blu ray color scheme, aint even mad anymore

The original version is actually pretty comfy, too. Very different also.

Carpenter's is still the best, though.

God I love 80's DePalma, Blow Out is also pretty comfy, but def not as comfy as Body Double

!

80's horror is pretty comfy

I am jealous - i have only memories of Angel fightin' tha demon

This is comfy right lads?

Haven't seen it since I was a kid, but definitely comfy

Not a movie, but Lost is probably the comfiest TV show I've ever seen. Nothing else comes close. Desert island setting, mystery, adventure, group camaraderie, characters who feel like your friends, etc.

It has everything.

Yes, definitely. The 2nd one also.

Interesting idea about atmosphere - seems legit.
Not following you at all with Rear Window, unfortunately. Good film, but I never got the comfy vibe from it meself.

Obvious choice, but I never get sick of it. Something about the atmosphere just puts me at ease.

10/10 comfy

JON
A
THAN!!!!
JON
A
THAN!!!!

Well, for me, the single-location setting is a big part of it. If a movie manages to be really fun and exciting and is set in a single location, it almost always feels really comfy to me. I also like how you sort of have this relationship with all these different odd characters Jimmy Stewart is watching from his telescope. And what's more comfy than trying to solve a murder mystery with Grace Kelly?

best teen movie

Obligatory
youtu.be/tL1acYvpR_E

Speaking of Hitchcock, The Birds is super comfy.

kek
fair points
>I wanna solve mysteries with Grace Kelly dammit

They Live
Starship Troopers
Rio Bravo
Jumanji
Hostel
Dazed and Confused
Enter the Dragon
Reservoir Dogs

Val Lewton movies are pretty comfy.

As far as recent movies, I'd say 10 Cloverfield Lane and You're Next.

Oh good, someone else finally posted a Thing thread! I knew it wouldn't take long.

Now I have an excuse to post my latest Thing autism: a line-by-line comparison of Carpenter's film (and Lancaster's script, mostly) with the original story from John W. Campbell.

Notice how the picture says HOWARD FUCKING HAWKS right across the top, while the official director, Christian Nyby, is shunted off to the bottom-left. In truth, Hawks had a lot of creative input on the project, being on-set frequently.

A similar "the-producer-really-directed-it-but-not-on-paper" arrangment took place during the filming of the orignal Poltergeist. Tobe Hooper was the paper-director, but Spielberg was active on-set, and the final product is thematically contiguous with the contemporaneous E.T. (California suburbia upset by extraordinary circumstances) and Raiders of the Lost Ark (violence and disturbing content with spoopy skeletons, just a little too weird for PG, giving rise to a PG-13 rating).

Your autism is a gift m9

hell yeah. tthe Thing and Alien are perfect to fall asleep on the sofa.

yes! those tiny sets full of detail are great.

the ultimate flick

1) Bruce Willis and Zorg (Oldman) are never on-screen together. They never interact with one another. IIRC the closest they come is while the good guys are leaving the ship, and Zorg steps off the elevator as they've left in the same frame.

2) The Zorg character rhythmically sets up his own comeuppance. He smugly says "I know" three times, before he gets it on the fourth time, each time escalating in violence: a) shoving Ian Holm from his office, b) remotely killing his failed aide, c) gunning down a landing crew, until d) the bomb re-activates, and Zorg's last words? Oh, no!

3) dad-core af, it's-a it's-a it's-a it's aNONONONONONONO. Thinking of the Ruby Rod character just reminded me that Prince died, sadly. I wonder to what extent Ruby was modeled on Prince.

I've never seen snow ;_;

Boring doesn't equal comfy

So what is the cover supposed to be?
Looks like one of those diving suits.

I've only seen this once, almost 15-20 years ago I guess, but my memory of it is that it does its damndest to shoehorn in every fucking metaphor, throw the kitchen sink full of metaphors at the audience. there's race stuff, jesus stuff, 50's sensibility stuff, feminist stuff, muh persecuted minority stuff, and it's just all these 20th century tropes and after a while it just makes you want to retch. IIRC.

Watchmen is the same way. I also saw that one exactly once, but by the time ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER(?) was blaring, even the random fratbro sitting next to me, who could hardly be an expert on American history, mentioned to his dudebro: "god-damn, they're just pulling it all out, aren't they?" Both flicks operate on Forrest Gump levels of 20th-century boomer re-imagination.

Although of course the Watchmen movie did improve on the original comic's ending with a more logical, less-stupid ending that even I thought of when I read the original comic. Those of you who know what I'm talking about, know what I'm talking about.

It isn't boring. Your sensibilities are warped by un-natural young millenial sensibilities of low-attention span, which you will be forced to grow back out of when the real zombie apocalypse hits and the infrastructure is destroyed.

And the other two as well.

A parka you moron

I fell in love with Milla during this movie

Same. I used to play this on my laptop for background noise during college and fall asleep to it.

Vive la resistance

>What makes a movie comfy?
Nothing. People now use it as a synonym for "good." Why they don't just say "good movie" instead is beyond me.

I used to interpret bigger, longer, uncut as South Park being bigger (movie), longer (more time), and uncut (censorship), because t.v. wouldn't let them.
Now I get that it's a dick joke.

It's a double entendre you literal autist

i need to watch these again so comfy

It's just like comfort food. It doesn't have to be objectively amazing. It just has enough positive associations with it's viewing to consistently deliver nostalgic entertainment value.

Ya think Zeke ever ended up getting any from Miss Burke?

>when youre a pléb but dont even realize it

i like this answer most

kek
>Comfy as a six demon bag.
>Buttercup. Comfy.
>Leeloo is also comfy. And so is Zorg's eyetwitch.
>Vikings can be comfy.
>Comfy Robert Shaw.
>Classic comfy.
>Cartoon comfy with Blondie on top.
>Cold comfy?

i feel a lot of woody allens films are comfy due to the slow length of shots, the dialogue heaviness, the good pacing, the chill jazz. maybe thats just me tho

This, Knights of Badassdom and The Girl Next Door

Comfy children's movie

>comfiest of them all
agreed