Alright, so this has been weighing on me recently...

Alright, so this has been weighing on me recently, and after having listened to a little of In The Heights the idea's sort of implanted itself in my mind:

Is Lin-Manuel Miranda the Quentin Tarantino of Musical Theater, and is Hamilton his Pulp Fiction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FTNBdgv6VBs
youtube.com/watch?v=q80lnmHIERw
youtube.com/watch?v=6djdNnICNTs&list=PL6436C7DBD5713996
youtube.com/watch?v=vmp-xmguqh4&list=PLgrMtn_kbC_DcFZ17ImcIEThv66CMPzGK
play.spotify.com/album/1kCHru7uhxBUdzkm4gzRQc
itunes.apple.com/ca/album/hamilton-original-broadway/id1025210938
youtu.be/vYmavCsp8Hs
youtu.be/bruTOQoNtO4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

HERE COMES THE /GENERAL/

RISE UP

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

but srsly though where are the parallels? Hamilton is linear and historical. Pulp Fiction is post-modern and groundbreakingly non-linear.

The only common theme between them all is the excessive foot degeneracy.

> I NEED TO DISCUSS THEATER, CAN I SHIT IN YOUR MOUTH A LITTLE

no
fuck off

I'm talking like career-wise. Pulp Fiction was a groundbreaking thing for film and was un-fucking-heard of at the time.

He'd done something similar almost as a test run of that style in his previous work, Reservoir Dogs (In The Heights)

I've been so impressed with Hamilton in general. Just received my book from the OP.

I've been listening to it pretty much constantly for the last few months, and it is awesome.

It really is something special, drug me back into the world of musical theater.

still kind of a random association. It's more like his RENT compared to Height's Tick Tick Boom. He idolises Jonathan Larson, who similarly fused musical theatre with contemporary pop and found most of his material from the street culture.

As far as post-modern musicals go, I'd probably call Glengarry Glenross the Pulp Fiction of musicals, if you count rhythmic language as music.

Is that so?

I'll have to listen to that, thanks.

Is the book worth it? Can you post some pics? Thanks.

(it's not a musical btw. it's the David Mamet play/movie.)

clipping on fallon last night:

youtube.com/watch?v=FTNBdgv6VBs

It has the libretto and some notes by Lin inside, along with a pretty comprehensive history of the play from concept to finished product.

I only read a little but it was some interesting stuff.

Ah, I figured.

After American Psycho became a musical though I don't think anything's off limits.

Give me 20-30 minutes.

Sure thing family

Nice... Has the lyrics too, right?

That's what the libretto is, the lyrics.

AH true lmao. ngl, Hamilton is literally the only exposure I've had to plays or musicals haha

watch Into The Woods :)

youtube.com/watch?v=q80lnmHIERw

Shit man, any Sondheim is pretty fantastic. The movie version I could do without, but yeah Into The Woods is pretty dope, same with Assassins (not the revival, holy shit that sounds awful)

youtube.com/watch?v=6djdNnICNTs&list=PL6436C7DBD5713996

Book Of Mormon's also pretty fantastic.
youtube.com/watch?v=vmp-xmguqh4&list=PLgrMtn_kbC_DcFZ17ImcIEThv66CMPzGK

The original song's pretty dope too.

>ywn be daveed's friend

why even live, fampais?

Daveed needs to stop doing Hamilton and release another fucking clipping album

Here's a few shots of the book.

>it's a comfy hamilbro episode

I would kill to see Hamilton.

>mfw I have to wait until 2017 to see it in London

Thanks for delivering friendo. Think you've convinced me to buy it. Nice pics btw, are you a photographer?

>tfw probably will never see Hamilton

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

At least I have a bootleg, that's the same thing r-right

Wait, so this musical isn't just a meme, tell me about it, is it good?

Can I listen to the score somewhere?

It's fucking dope, phamilia. The meme is true.

play.spotify.com/album/1kCHru7uhxBUdzkm4gzRQc
itunes.apple.com/ca/album/hamilton-original-broadway/id1025210938

>Nice pics btw, are you a photographer?
As a hobby, mostly.

I do some Photography at my job, but it is only because I am able to, not because I have to.

Interesting, I thought it was a meme because it seemed like we wuz kings the musical. I'm not big on popular music, but I'll give it a listen.

There's a p good cam on kat

Spotify senpai. Whole album for free on there. It's also f'ing awesome. Fun way to learn history with great songs.

Nice, nice.

It is a mainly non-white cast, so if that bothers you then you probably won't like it. But then again, it is a hip hop, r&b, soul, blues influenced album so chances are if you were a racist then you wouldn't like it even if it were sung by white people, so...

>because it seemed like we wuz kings the musical
I thought so too, but there's actually very little race pandering in this. Slavery's just an afterthought.

It literally won a Pulitzer. Not everything is a buzzword.

No user, I love soul and blues, not big on hip hop though. I don't actually have a problem with black people, I just heard they had Hamilton be a black guy or something, which turned me off.

Currently listening, not impressed, but I'm only on the second song.

>Pulitzer
>meaning anything

>tickets are $500 for the chicago run

My Shot, the next song, was what really brought me onto the boat.

100% hype.

I fear that his success with Hamilton means that clipping is dead.

Aaron Burr, Sir is still my favourite. I love that the background music carries out throughout the entire musical, usually whenever Ham and Burr have a one on one talk.

>the founding fathers were all brown people

This is what I thought too.

Is the original cast transferring as well or only some while the rest are staying in New York?

[HAMILTONCORE] Here.
youtu.be/vYmavCsp8Hs

>it seemed like we wuz kings the musical
Not Particularly. There is very little pandering, other than the fact that the cast happens to be a certain color.

Honestly, I didn't like a few of the songs on the first listen, but now I have literally listened to the album 100's of times.

>implying the best songs aren't Non Stop and
You'll be Back
>implying

Hamilton Cast Covers Sweeney Todd

youtu.be/bruTOQoNtO4

Second for the camrip 7/10

Yeah, I'm on the 5th song, but I'm not really impressed, musically it sounds pretty generic.

I literally FUCKING hate this musical. It's literally just a shit normie meme. The fans of it are some of the worst people I've known. Lin Manuel Mirandnigger is a fag who needs to stop showing up in my life.

They're dropping a new album this year

It looks like it'll be a new cast, unfortunately. Man, I really wanted to see Daveed's Jefferson.

Lin Manuel basically regards himself as the second coming of Alexander Hamilton, which says a lot about his fucking ego and worth as a person.

>not Wait For It
>not Guns And Ships/Yorktown
>not What'd I Miss
>not The Room Where it Happens
Son, get some fucking taste.

>[HAMILTONCORE] Here.
>youtu.be/vYmavCsp8Hs
Lmao the sass LMAOOOOOOOOOooooo

>not Satisfied

Cucks, the lot of you.

>tfw I thought about making a musical about the Revolution
>If I make it now people will say I'm stealing from some shitty rap shit

Get fucked fag. That's the worst song in the fucking musical. Even Quiet Uptown is better.

>Is the original cast transferring

Nope. most of the original cast will be leaving this summer. The show is exhausting and most of them want to focus on their personal music careers again.

>Even

>Not crying during It's Quiet Uptown

Autism central is that way >>>

>there can be only one musical about the American revolution

fag

>implying

Quiet Uptown is fantastic as well.

I'm glad Javier (LMM's understudy) is getting a chance to shine. I saw bootlegs of him and his Hamilton is miles better than Lin's.

Speaking of musicals

Is anyone seeing the premiere version of Anastasia in Hartford? I couldn't get the money together in time but the theater just uploaded the songlist and I'm dying to see some of these changes made to the story.

>New "I Want" song
>Once Upon a December at a different point in the story
>Journey to the Past is Act I closer

Dammit user,
you just made it sink in that I will never get to see Hamilton with the original cast

I guess you'll never be satisfied

Can I be real a second?
For just a millisecond?
Put down my guard and tell the people how I feel a second?

Now I'm the model of a modern major general
The venerated Virginian veteran whose men are all lining up to put me up on a pedestal
writing letters to relatives
embellishing my elegance and eloquence

But the elephant is in the room.

The truth is in your face, when you hear the Autist Cannon go BOOM!