THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

>In early 2000, during an interview with Le Monde[18] to announce his new production facility in London[19], Poilâne asserted that he had unwittingly employed Malick as an apprentice baker between the years of 1984 to 1992 under the pseudonym of Antoine de Tournesol. When asked during the initial interview why de Tournesol wanted to work for him, Poilâne recalled his only response to be; "Our minds are like dough, our hearts like flame." De Tournesol was a model employee, according to Poilâne, and in his exit interview, the reason given for leaving the company was "hearing yet again the drums [of war.]" Poilâne proceeded to laugh the experience off, stating he was "fond of Antoine's war movie," though he "didn't care for the pacing."[20]

what?

>tfw no chance encounter with terry

>In 2004, during the filming of The New World (2005), Malick forced Christopher Plummer to climb a tall oak tree. The task was very difficult for Plummer, who was 74 at the time, and took 3 unsuccessful attempts before Malick was satisfied with his performance. This footage was not used in the final film.

I love that this made it onto imdb.

>At 16, Malik approached a middle-aged Vietnamese man named Thanh Lam on the street, and using a large wooden stick, knocked him unconscious while calling him a "Vietnam fucking shit".[16][17] That same day, Wahlberg also attacked a second Vietnamese man named Hoa "Johnny" Trinh, punching him in the face. He believed he had left his victim permanently blind in one eye.[15][16][18] Trinh was interviewed in December 2014 by the Daily Mail; he revealed that he had already lost that eye during the Vietnam War, and did not know the identity of his assailant prior to being contacted by the media.[19] According to court documents regarding these crimes, when Malik was arrested later that night and returned to the scene of the first assault, he stated to police officers: "You don't have to let him identify me, I'll tell you now that's the motherfucker who's (sic) head I split open."[18] Investigators also noted that he "made numerous unsolicited racial statements about 'gooks' and 'slant-eyed gooks'."[16][18]

>"didn't care for the pacing."[20]
one of the funniest Sup Forums originals

>The reclusive filmmaker's experimental techniques were in full force while filming his latest project, now titled Knight of Cups. Actor Christian Bale weighed in on the unusual methods of filming that the critically acclaimed director employed.

>"Start of the day, I'd sometimes be given just two pages of dialogue. I call it dialogue now, but it had barely any lines for me. It was just filled with all these philosophical excerpts - Heidegger, Kierkegaard - all that good stuff. And then there'd be notes in Terry's handwriting - "Feel the Joy", Joy with a capital J, and "Cosmic rapture in the moment!". And then when I'd be in the middle of a 10 minute take, improvising all of my lines, I'd look up and see Terry shooting the squirrels. And they'd scurry all over his feet, into his hands, up his legs, all over him. Once a couple of sparrows landed on his hat and I said to him, "Terry, there are birds on your head!" and he replied, "I know, isn't it just a wonderful day?""

brb becoming an apprentice baker

Is Malick the Jared Leto of directors?

>Colin Farrell kept saying, ‘My character, he’s a fuckin’ osprey. That’s how he sees me.’ You’d be playing a passionate scene, and he’d say in that strange southern voice of his, mixed with Harvard and Oxford, ‘Ah, jes’ stop a minute, Chris. I think there’s an osprey flying over there. Do you mind if I just take a few shots?’

>"I shot one day on 'Knight Of Cups,' and I had a 17-page monologue. And Christian Bale, who I was playing opposite—who had a lot of lines that would lead me into the next three pages—he hadn't seen his pages. So when we started shooting, he'd just walk off, and I'd be chasing him saying all this stuff, when he was actually the one who was supposed to be interested, and that's the reason that I was talking," Kinnaman explained. "And then into page nine of my monologue, I'd turn around and see Terry like a 150 yards away shooting some pink dog running around. It was indeed a very interesting experience. I have no idea what that film is."

>according to Eddie Marsan, Malick makes dialogue up on the spot and then starts his camera rolling, whether the actor's ready or not. "He shoots as much as possible in natural light, so you've only got a few moments to get it right," says Marsan. "There was a time when I'd memorised the two pages of dialogue he'd just scribbled out for me and was doing my speech, but then a bird landed on a tree behind me and I could see Terry move his camera off me to do a close up on the bleedin' bird."

>Malick resorted to guerrilla style tactics where the actors were not told who they would be interacting with, requiring them to improvise entire scenes. Bale said that Malick referred to this as "torpedoing" and that as a result he mistook Teresa Palmer for a real stripper.[23][24] These methods came to a head when the cast and crew entered a Hollywood party without permission.[24] When the production was politely asked to leave, Malick looked the hosts and their security guards straight in the eye and whispered, "Your words are thoughtless, my thoughts are wordless" as a single gust of wind suddenly blew his hat up into the sky.[25][26][27]

>There were exceedingly high expectations for the film’s premier by Malick’s peers, the studio, the critics and the public—for there were some that had been waiting since the closing credits of Days of Heaven to see another film by this gifted visionary. However, this public spectacle was, for Malick, the most daunting of the directorial process. He already had it written into his contract that he would provide no interviews, nor would he consent to being photographed (one invited press member on the Australian set did manage to snap a photo of a smiling Malick, which he despised ever since). The prospects of walking the red carpet was for him comparable to running a gauntlet replete with clubs hammering blows—not on his body, but his psyche.

>Malik
>Wahlberg

try again

Is this Terry's only flick?

>During shooting of the film "To The Wonder" Malick was said to be behaving unusually despondent, often wandering into shots while film was still rolling and asking the actors questions about their dreams and offering them slices of apples. Worried about his state of mind, Javier Bardem asked Malick if anything was troubling him. Malick responded with the statement "I must pray" after which he retired to his trailer for three days, refusing food and water, necessitating Assistant Director Nicolas Rebeschini to step up and continue directing in his absence.

Terry has no flicks. That one's a movie though, I'll give you that.

Isn't it a lovely day?

>He began writing down his logic, in a language of his own devising that he calls Terryology. He edited forward and backward, with both right and left sound channels, sometimes using voiceover quotes he made up that look foreign, if not alien, to keep his ideas secret until they could be filmed.

>After Harvard, he attended Magdalen College at Oxford, studying philosophy, until he got into an argument with a professor about what one times one equals. "How can it equal one?" he said. "If one times one equals one that means that two is of no value because one times itself has no effect. One times one equals two because the square root of four is two, so what's the square root of two? Should be one, but we're told it's two, and that cannot be." This did not go over well, he says, and he soon left school. "I mean, you can't conform when you know innately that something is wrong in Dasein."

Meanwhile, Max von Sydow doesn't do anything on Game of Thrones that would make him look like the character he's supposed to be playing, and Michael Caine shows up in a Vin Diesel witch hunting movie to sit down and say a few lines

>>After Harvard, he attended Magdalen College at Oxford, studying philosophy, until he got into an argument with a professor about what one times one equals. "How can it equal one?" he said. "If one times one equals one that means that two is of no value because one times itself has no effect. One times one equals two because the square root of four is two, so what's the square root of two? Should be one, but we're told it's two, and that cannot be." This did not go over well, he says, and he soon left school. "I mean, you can't conform when you know innately that something is wrong in Dasein."

>During the filming of To The Wonder, Terrence Malick had Ben Afleck, Olga Kurylenko, Rachel McAdams, and Javier Bardem all read War & Peace, novel by the Russian author Leo Tolstoy.
>Malick insisted the cast read and study War & Peace and were even made to write several short essays on the relationships between the principle characters, philosophy and psychologies, religion and ethics, quite a lot of work.
>They only started filming when Malick was satisfied that the cast of his film understood War & Peace on the same level as himself, "You are my equals now," he was heard to tell them.
>Malick never mentioned War & Peace and it never come again.

I think you need to learn English before attempting to write a greentext.

>During Cannes 1995, a man wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses was thrown out of a screening of Tim Burton's Ed Wood for making exaggerated flatulence noises to signal his distaste for the film.[37] On-site reports identified the man as director Terrence Malick.

>In January 2006, actor Joaquin Phoenix overturned his car on a road above Sunset Boulevard. Herzog, who lived nearby, helped him get out of the car.[17] Initial investigations pointed to deliberate sabotage, and an unidentified man wearing a cowboy hat was reported to have been seen near Phoenix's garage that morning.[18] A few days later, while Herzog was giving an interview to Mark Kermode for the BBC, an unknown individual shot Herzog with an air rifle during filming. Herzog continued the interview and showed his wound on camera but acted as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened, remarking, "It is not a significant bullet." When pressed, he said that he was "not in a position to discuss this on camera," and that "he fears the man in the hat."[19][20]

Malick threads, best threads

I want a Malick biopic starring Bill Murray directed by Malick.

It's definitely his worst movie.

Did Malick just get a whiff of Hershlag's gas chamber?

muh sides.