Can we have Charlie Chaplin thread?

Is this the single greatest person in the history of cinematography?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/P2Kundn9Ub4
youtube.com/watch?v=H8zMV0-NMug
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He makes great chili.

Shame about the jews though.

Sorry this isn't a thread about an HBO television series, netflix, or stoner Marvel movies.

I am afraid this thread is going to have to get deleted.

Absolutely one of them yes. A bonafide genius, an icon. I want to suggest his late films for those that have yet to see them, as they don't often receive the same attention as the earlier ones. But A King in New York and Monsieur Verdoux are both excellent. Hilarious yet with a scathing undercurrent.

But yeah, what a career, what a man. True auteur.

Maybe not the greatest, but probably the most poetic. It is fascinating to watch kids see and react to his movies. A century away and they still completely work. Timeless.

city lights was a good film but chaplin was a hack
keaton was so much better

Many people does not even know that he was talented director as well.

True, there was so much more to him than just The Little Tramp character. Amazing director, intellect, advocate.

Talents such as these transcend memelennial console wars. I love Keaton, he was a genius as well, but sadly suffered a truncated film career before signing his creative control away and descending into alcoholism and obscurity. Certainly Sherlock Jr, The General and more are as good as Chaplins films from the time, but Keatons career never had a chance to mature.

I'd go with the Jack Cardiff.

he was an idiot, you know. he had sox gag men who wrote for him, and welles wrote the script (not just the story) for verdoux - chaplin took all the credit, of course he changed the script to make it more socially concsious (and, like all of his work, more schmaltzy).

>he was an idiot

Ok pham. There may be some apt criticism you can levy against him, as most geniuses are complicated people, but "idiot" is not one. It's a cute factoid you just regurgitated but Verdoux doesnt have schmaltz. Perhaps you're thinking of another film honestly. It's a way-ahead of it's time black comedy.

when we're talking abt chaplin and keaton, genius should have no part of it. in orson welles book (conversations with jaglom), he said he saw an early rush of limelight, the original with keaton, and that keaton gave the bath to chaplin. it was of course cut because chaplin was infamously petty.

he was an idiot, research it. he was totally uneducated & ashamed of it. in verdoux if you listen carefully, you'll hear yodelling in the rowboat scene, because in welles script, he accompanied mountains with that scene, and chaplin never stopped to wonder why the yodelling. that's how dumb he was!

There's more to his career and life than what Orson Welles said about him user. And how could he possibly be petty when, as a sign of good will and brotherhood, he cast his old silent comedy rival/compatriot, who had only worked in B-films for decades, in Limelight, beside him. It was a sweet gesture, he didnt have to cast Keaton. So he cut a scene or something? So what.

>uneducated

Well buddy, all things considered he did pretty well for himself anyway.

if you read the verdoux script, there was a great sequence in the alps that he cut out. landru finally finds a woman whose profession is killing her husbands. his equal. and they go on a honeymoon together, a walking trip in the alps. and each one wants to kill the other. and he cut it out because it was too good a part for the woman.

Sounds like a funny premise but I guess he wanted to go another way. It's dark ending is perfect.

there's this story mal st. clair (who used to work with him) told. this was the day when hg welles, aldous huxley and rebecca west were coming to see the shooting of city lights.

and chaplin has the chairs out, ready for them, and they sit down. He starts his scene, something they had been shooting the night before and hadn’t finished. he has a brick. and he’s going to throw it through the window of a shop to take something—because he’s hungry or whatever it is—and then realizes a policeman is standing behind him. they start to roll. and mal comes into the studio and says, “charlie, i’ve got it! none of us could figure out what to do in that scene you were shooting last night, but I’ve got—” chaplin says, “go away.” mal says, “charlie, i’m telling you, i’ve got it. what you do with the brick—” chaplin says, “get out, please. i told you not to come in.” mal says, “but we were all trying to find a kicker for this scene last night, and i’ve got it!” chaplin’s really angry now, says, “listen, will you get out?” and mal says, “as you start to raise the brick—” charlie yells, “get out of my studio! i never want to see you again!” so mal says, "yes, i’m going.” just as he reaches the exit, he turns around, and adds, “you are nothing but a no-good quidnunc.” Now, charlie, every day after lunch, went to the can, his private can. and there he had the short oxford dictionary, and he read a page of it to improve his mind. on this day he turns to Q. he sees that it’s circled, and mal has written, “i knew you’d look it up.”

this is true. but he didn't write it

this is reddit this is memes

Chaplin is part of the MCU though.

WTF I love Chaplin now???

Define "mature" though. Chaplin's films seemed to grow just more sentimental and shallowly political (though I've only seen as far as Monsieur Verdoux and didn't like it even if both those criticisms don't apply.) while Keaton's stuntwork and choreography got more and more grand, and also more funny

keaton was also more original (and versatile)

>Keaton's stuntwork and choreography got more and more grand, and also more funny

Only in the period of about 22-30 though, which makes for an unfair comparison past that, or in totality. He had his shorts, a few features, all of which were brilliant, but it's just a shame his career effectively ended around 1930 whereas Chaplin retained the autonomy to try new things into the 50s.

>more original

How do you mean?

I quite enjoy Charlie Chaplin. I've seen five of his movies and they were all great. City Lights is my favorite.

some of the things keaton thought up to do are incredible.

welles is the greatest american filmmaker & he only made a dozen films

I don't disagree, most of the things were absolutely astounding, but Chaplin was terribly creative too, if not as much of a madman/daredevil.

youtu.be/P2Kundn9Ub4

It's just not an apt comparison because again Welles' career had time to grow and change. Yes, Keaton's one of the greats, I love him. The General is one of the finest films ever made, but it's kind of his only feature. Sherlock Jr. is incredible, a few more, actually i'm not sure what we're debating here. It's just, to me, a damn shame he signed away his creative control and got JUSTed so hard, that's all.

yea but this is nowhere near keaton's standard

youtube.com/watch?v=H8zMV0-NMug

besides chaplin had a scene just like that in the idle class which he made 15 years prior

>actually i'm not sure what we're debating here
i have a real contempt for chaplin

keaton > chaplin

I think Keaton still had a full arc as an artist by the end of the silent era. It's not like that MGM deal cut his career down in 1924 or something, it was the same year as sound and most likely would have been the end of Keaton for the most part anyway. I'm not sure he would have had the capacity to reinvent his work for sound the way Chaplin did