What is the "world city" of today?

What is the "world city" of today?
2000 years ago it was undoubtedly Rome, today I would say New York City.

It's Hong Kong you nigger.

Sao paulo

>before 1453 - Constantinople
> between 15th and 19th century - Vienna
>1800s - London
>1900s until 1930s - New York City
>1930s - Berlin
>after World War 2 - NYC, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris, London, Dubai, Beijing

>irrelevant "city" that only autists think that is even important for the EU - Bruxelles

Tikal

Madrid or Paris

It will always be London.

>2000 years ago it was undoubtedly Rome
That is a nice eurocentric view.

Internet

>Dubai
ok ahmed

medicine hat

London or NYC - either can make the case for being the financial centres of the world.

In AD 16 there was genuinely no competition. Babylon was larger a few centuries before, but there was no other city in the world with a million people.

Remember China was mostly agrarian. Large scale urbanization only really occurred until after the industrial revolution.

pra vocĂȘ

> History starts in 1453

Hello Mehmet.

15th - 19th century was not Vienna though. Amsterdam would have been most important in the 17th century, and most likely Lisbon in the 16th. Vienna was more important in the 19th century, but not as important as London.

NYC is still an American city and this is what I see it as first and foremost. London is different, I've never even seen it as being British per se, it truly is global.

>Madrid

>A canal

Unfortunately I still haven't been to NYC, but I've been to London twice. The suburbs of London are still very British in character. They don't look any different from any other city in the UK.

NYC's skyscrapers seem to make it completely different from the rest of the US, and give it a more global character.

>Vienna
>Berlin
>post ww2

the autist misters

>In AD 16 there was genuinely no competition. Babylon was larger a few centuries before, but there was no other city in the world with a million people

there was, mayans had at least one city like that
also teotihuacan but noone knows what it was really

I would agree tbqh

200's - Rome, Chang'an

700's-1200's - Baghdad, Chang'an

1200's - 1600's - Constantinople

1600's - 1800's - Vienna and a bunch of other European cities

1800's - 1900's - London/Paris

1900's - 2000's - NYC

2000's - present - NYC, Shanghai, London, Dubai, Tokyo, etc.

Shut your fucking mouth you idiot. It's New York and New York only. Tokyo? Who the fuck cares about Tokyo? London is shit. Dubai? You're saying that to honor your sand nigger heritage. Shanghai? Smogville you mean?

>Dubai

Top fucking kek.

Just because the oil sheiks got billions in syndicated loans from Western banks to build monuments to themselves doesn't make it a world city. It's a giant bubble city tourist trap failed legacy project.

Toronto is literally more powerful than Dubai.

Sit the fuck down, nigger. I live in NYC, and when you look on a world stage that shit's slipping.

The rise of the rest has begun, motherfucker.

Toronto is at least 200 years old. Dubai is barely 30. Give it some time.

You're a traitor. They should be watching you. You could strike on that One WTC any day now.

After ww2 most of the world became so globalized that alot of major cities could be called important international hubs - NYC, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Sydney, Dubai, Riyadh, istanbul, Vienna, Berlin, Paris, London, Rome, Madrid are just a few off the top of my head that hosted international events or have international headquarters

NY is pretty goat you just need to build skyscrapers in between the areas with tall building, so much space wasted on the island. Also Shanghai is growing pretty fast could possibly compete one day.

That's damn good pepe.

My house is barely 5 minutes away from that building. If that shit goes down all my shit goes too.

>being this triggered

lmfao, lost your GF to a small dicked guy from Tokyo eh niggerbrooklyn boy?

hahah, top kek m8

Either NYC or London probably. For innovation and growth though? Shenzhen.
>how can wh*te counties even compete
Both are very 'global' cities that feel like their own thing compared to the country itself.. NYC London and Paris all have quite similar energies imo. The point about the suburbs holds true to NYC as well as London.

>literally tries to convince me he's not going to to bomb the WTC

>Madrid
Spaniards really believe this

Also what's wrong with Tokyo? Shit's fucking dope.

Tokyo has the most fortune 500 companies in the world.

Pic related. You see how big that shit is? Makes NYC look like a tiny turd.

Yeah but what do you care you'd probably be dead? Unless you planned on getting away with it and not suiciding but Muslims don't seem to be into that.

>2000 years ago it was undoubtedly Rome
No, it would be somewhere in the middle east, in the middle of the silk road

>madrid
>literally centuries old
>can't even be bothered to finish a skyline
>meanwhile dubai has built a dozen more skyscrapers in just 10 years

>inb4 "but skyscrapers are bad!!"
Shut the fuck up. Skyscrapers are the motherfucking future.

NYC is much better looking. NYC is like Universal studios but instead of different resorts it's like a bunch of different cities.

Bomb? What bomb. I don't know what a bomb even is.

Looks like a giant beige mess. What retard did the urban planning for those streets?

why do some countries think they can pull off skyscrapers? this look hideous.

We won't go any further into this cause I don't want you getting detained by the NSA.

Here's NYC for comparison.

Yeah I don't get how it's supposed to be very impressive just because it's a large sprawled populated area.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

NYC is hideous a criminal offense to culture

Paris doesn't belong in this conversation because it is actually a third world shithole.

Cucking for daddy I see.

t. flyover state

That isn't every borough.

lmoa u mad af brah

>Cuts off the entire relevant part of the city

kill yourself sandnigger

flyover states have even less culture and have shitty towns that rot in 50 years

Japan will one day be just a bunch of houses and buildings back to back.

Yeah if you turn the saturation way down and crop it just right any picture can look bad.

Yeah but they have bad ass high school sports teams.

Actually that's total bullshit. A small town or village full of German Americans is the shit. But I'm biased cause I'm a Deutschboo.

No racial slurs allowed, snownig

I'd say London, New York, Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong are the world capitals of the modern era. However, Hong Kong will eventually be replaced by Shanghai or Beijing as China's economy surpasses the US's.

t. deng xiaoping

>not shenzen

m8 where do you live. I'm town is full of German Americans but they all stopped giving a fuck. Pic related is in front of my old highschool but are now rotting because no one gives a fuck anymore

Nobody likes Smoghigh or Chokeing(on smog).

hong kong is an overrated shithole

give me one good reason its not the same as taipei or even any other chink or seasian city

> muh skyscrapers

What is it supposed to be a picture of?

I don't like baseball. Fucking Anglos. I like wrestling and football.

Economic output, education, etc.

New York is the main one, Tokyo and Dubai get honorable mentions though

Although it gets hard to like football when you hate niggers and despise the fact that the league is full of them.

London comes before Dubai and Tokyo.

Aren't you the mayor of London?

Agreed with this.

Global finance hub and melting pot for international trade. Kinda the necessary characteristics to be a world city.

No, I am
t. Khan

You only agree cause you're Asian and you like the retarded amount of representation he gave you.

>NYC is much better looking
New York looks like shit, as usual for any overgrown city.

What? Dude fuck off back to Sup Forums

>However, Hong Kong will eventually be replaced by Shanghai or Beijing as China's economy surpasses the US's.

China's economy is so good they have to heavily restrict capital flight!

Anyways, the city in Asia that'll topple Hong Kong is Singapore. Or Taipei if Taiwan's government navigates some really difficult geopolitical issues well enough.

>Amsterdam would have been most important in the 17th century
Absolutely not.

>Lisbon in the 16th
Not even close.

I'm an Arab. The mayor of London is Pakistani, I think.
Petty racial bullshit aside, Asian cities are becoming more and more prominent. Stop being butthurt. It's to be expected as large swaths of rural people in China and India (who already make up like half the world's population) move into urban centers.

There already exist cities that have taller (and newer!) buildings, longer bridges, and larger populations. Half of them are in China, by the way.

I just realized that Bruxelles = Brussels

You fuck off little dick black cock sucker. Or nigger. Black people are retarded.

Most people are saying Barcelona but it would be Madrid desu

NYC and London are close

but if we are speaking in a cultural sense I think it is undoubtedly NYC, which merges the entire world as the gateway into the USA

go away racism is not allowed here

>Any city in Spain
>World class

Dude you are fucked in the head.

A white man has the world record for biggest penis you know? I know you're wrapped up in the idea of black physical superiority so criticizing them seems out of the realm of reality

>Dubai
No, why on earth would you place this among the rest of those cities?

memes
hk's only value is being near china, but chink cities already good enough so its value will wear off

if anything, singapoo already surpassed. china will also merge some cities to form 2 or 3 megacities, we will see

>i'm not racist! i swear!

Dubai is a few hundred times more relevant than Oslo. And you guys had like, what, an 800 year head start or something?

>tfw you realize you shouldn't have cheated on your math exams

What are you on about? We're world class in sports, food, architecture, etc

I'm fucked in the head for believing what was commonly accepted not too long ago?

No I agreed because unlike you I actually have a big boy job and understand the importance of Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Besides world cities are supposed to exemplify multiculturalism and Hong Kong is full of it.

Who the fuck claimed I wasn't racist? I'm racist as hell.