Romani (Gypsy) Language?

I'm looking for anyone who knows either how to speak Romani (any dialect) or, preferably, someone who knows anything about the actual linguistics of Romani and its various dialects.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tt9Cie6cxNg
youtube.com/watch?v=4cRlqE3D3RQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8nHbImkFKE4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There is like 500 000 dialects of this language, you go to another country and language is not even intelligible with each other

t. gypsy

There is like 500 000 dialects of this language, you go to another country and language is not even intelligible with each other

t. gypsy

t. gypsy

There are no gypsies in this country, because that would be racist! They are called ROMs (read only memory) and they dont have any language whatsoever just gibberish.

t. racist

There is over 9000 dialects of this language, you go to another country and language is not even on the same power level with each other

t. gypsy

That's what I was afraid of.

Is this some sort of Sup Forums meme?

I thought gypsies communicated with knives and "HOI SIE"

Pic related

Romano phral džas the džijavel

Gádžo džungáles o vakerehas

why are you even interested?

>why are you even interested?
Well I WAS thinking it might help me translate a text, but I'm beginning to think Romani isn't even the correct language. Still, there are some odd things in the text that seem Romani. It's really hard to find Romani translations for even basic stuff like colors though.

over 50% of romani are loan words pretty much for all dialects, atleast in Slovakia/Hungary

you would need to ask gypsy from where the text originates

Wouldn't common things like Mother, Brother, Black, Red, Food, Water, etc. be common to most dialects? Or is that wrong?

Also, I'm not real sure what the origin of the text is.

white - párno
yellow - žlto, , galbeno
red - lolo
green - želeno, zeleno - this one is straight up taken from slovak
blue - belavo, pineto
brown - hňedo, barnavo
black - kalo

i dont really know, its pretty much impossible to write down lot of things about gypsies since there was never gypsy nation/country, gypsies dont share culture, gypsies are formed by host countries as we dont have home

There is no such thing as gypsy language, they just use their host country language and have some of their own words in it. Here they use their gypsy version of Russian, in Slovakia they use Slovakian, in Spain they use Spanish and so on.

Maybe if you wrote some of it here, we could at least identify the country of it and look from there.

>black - kalo
Oh my fuck. Jackpot.

What dialect is this? Also could you supply words for the following?:

Green - preferably a non-loan version of the word
Plant/Herb
Root
Fruit or Berry
Flower, Bloom or Blossom
Fresh
Dry / Dried
Water
Soil
Seed

>i dont really know, its pretty much impossible to write down lot of things about gypsies since there was never gypsy nation/country, gypsies dont share culture, gypsies are formed by host countries as we dont have home
Yeah yeah I get that but I'm guessing a lot of the core words (basic things) were kept more or less intact since the exodus from India or perhaps another earlier area on the way to Europe. That fucking black holy shit though. I've been looking for black forever and can't find it and it's actually almost EXACTLY the pronunciation I'm looking for, which is a big win as far as I'm concerned.

>Maybe if you wrote some of it here, we could at least identify the country of it and look from there.
Easier said than done. Here ya go:

Khtsn haturyə aŝ aŝghon hurfur ur
mgooa har ar ahn tha ŝkatn akatar hatn
taxn xaxn xn tkxoon jn kaghatn duŝ
daŝ hakoa tura? tura? tsahon hakatn

I'm not expecting this to be intelligible to anyone who speaks ANY language. Honestly a lot of it might not be transliterated correctly and I'm pretty sure the language is something cobbled together. That would fit the idea that Roma speak whatever language of the country they're in combined with some of their own core words.

i could, but im gypsy so i wont

Ah don't be like that.

kek

That is really, really interesting. Where did you get it from? Maybe it is possible to transliterate it differently. I did some googling and there are some Persian (Farsi)/Hindu traces.

I remember I once googled word duš because I am sure I heard it somewhere else (in Lithuanian dušas means shower). So apparently dush also means shower in Persian/Farsi I think but it also means bad/wrong or something like that.

ašghon sounds like Farsi eshghe, it means love.

I googled hurfur and got this video as result when looking specifically for that word (in quotes):
youtube.com/watch?v=Tt9Cie6cxNg

It definitely has to do something with gypsy speak.

I am really interested in this myself and maybe you could provide some more info.

>Persian
That was a strong early thought for me too. But I'm actually suspecting Aramaic.

>Hindu
I think you mean "Hindi" and yes, there are noticeable Indic traits which I think are because a gypsy or gypsies wrote it.

>So apparently dush also means shower in Persian/Farsi I think but it also means bad/wrong or something like that.
Interesting. I also keep seeing the word "t/dura/ t/dura / t/durya"? everywhere.

Shit. I meant "t/dur / t/dura / t/durya"

>Hindi
Yeah, my bad.

>dura/durya/dur
Can't figure out that one apart from putting it into Google Translator, which gives 'period' or 'sea' from Farsi. But that could most likely be bullshit. What's t/?

Will you reveal where you got it? This is the first time I see anything written in gypsy speak, I didn't think they write their shit.

>What's t/?
T or D. The ? means I'm not sure how close I am with multiple letters, especially the ending.

>Will you reveal where you got it?
It's the Voynich Manuscript.

>This is the first time I see anything written in gypsy speak, I didn't think they write their shit.
They don't usually. Several people suspect that's why the text is so bizarre.

>Voynich Manuscript
You are kidding, right? You might as well be translating ayy lmao

I am not kidding. And yeah, you're pretty much correct. It's difficult as fuck because multiple layers of study are required: the writing system is unique, the language might be gypsy in an EXTINCT dialect and the plant illustrations are a god damned mess, at least one of which I know for a FACT is chimeric, because it has upper parts of one plant I can without question identify, with roots of a totally different plant that I can also clearly identify.

>the writing system is unique
You mean whole thing is most probably made up
And probably by a schizo too
I really doubt you are going to translate something no one ever could

Yes its true, we wuz Voynich indeed, now gádžo shall stop thinking too much about stuff he doesnt have to

>You mean whole thing is most probably made up
I dismissed it too years ago, since the plants were such a complete mess and even then the arrangement of letters looked like total horseshit. I'm starting to wonder now though. Honestly, I still think it could go either way. I'm unsure.

>And probably by a schizo too
That's believable considering some of the details like the fact that both Aries and Taurus are broken into two different constellations (I don't know if this is a thing or not in some culture, but I've never heard of it) and the crazy bathing ladies stuff.

>I really doubt you are going to translate something no one ever could
You might be right. I have no idea. It's just something I do to occupy my time. I mean, it's not like even if it's translated it's going to be usesful. It's a 15th century herbal text for the most part (or appears to be at least), so it's practically guaranteed to be full of shit even if translated lol.

>we wuz Voynich
Lel

Well, good luck with it

What is the source of your transliteration, do you have a PDF or something?

What about you though? Can you give words for these items? Ones that aren't obviously from a host's language. That black "Kalo" for example is literally almost identical to Hindi. That's the sort of weirdness I'm looking for.

Green - preferably a non-loan version of the word
Plant/Herb
Root
Fruit or Berry
Flower, Bloom or Blossom
Fresh
Dry / Dried
Water
Soil
Seed

>What is the source of your transliteration, do you have a PDF or something?
Yeah it's online. Some of the pages are scanned REALLY poorly though and are unreadable. Most of the text is readable though. Lol I say "readable" but ya know...

Oh shit, you were asking about the transliteration. Here you go:

youtube.com/watch?v=4cRlqE3D3RQ

youtube.com/watch?v=8nHbImkFKE4

Sorry I have no idea, I am not a gypsy and never had anything to do with their language. You might have some more luck if you look at Sanskrit dictionary, as the thing is from 15th century.

I have, but most of the words don't match. It's mostly little surprises that end up being close to Sanskrit or Hindi. How do you know Farsi?

Statistical analysis has shown that whatever is written in the Voynich is not mathematically random and bears a frequency distribution remarkably akin to most written languages.

Whatever it actually is, it is _not_ random gibberish.

Wikipedia should have a link to an extremely high-quality scan of every page.

>How do you know Farsi?
I don't, I just knew couple of words from random experience.

So I hear.

They're the same quality as the PDF online. Almost certainly from the same source.