Did you like Boardwalk Empire user?

Did you like Boardwalk Empire user?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vw5pYWb-Ppc
youtube.com/watch?v=51B-sXtV_6g&feature=player_embedded#t=236.731143
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I did, before the writers realized their whole series was going to shit during end of season 3 and stopped giving a fuck

meh

Yes, shame Winter got bored with it and fucked off to do that awful Vinyl show.

Didn't they kill off the main character

Vinyl got a lot better towards the end. I'm optimistic for season 2

I was bit put off when they inserted a literal cuckold scene into the series, with a white guy jerking off to his wife being fucked by a black dude.

its a bit hamfisted when explaining their backstories

>as TREASURER OF ATLANTIC CITY, i am making a fortune by SMUGGLING BOOZE! my brother, THE SHERIFF, is helping me run the operation!

yeah, I liked it all the way to season 2. The only good parts in season three was basically richard avenging jimmys wife, and shooting up the mansion in the end.

The show couldve been better if they didnt have to speed up commodore and jimmys storyline due to the actor playing the commodores health.

Also I really disliked luciano, so it was annoying to see him come out on top in the end, same as bugsy, he was the biggest most annoying asshole in the show and nothing happens to him. Thats why it sucks when you use real life characters, cause you have to go by what really happened. But i personally wouldnt of minded having their fates sealed differently just for the sake of the show.

Also that series finale ending was the worst, most cliched ending ever. Thats why I consider stopping at season 2 or season 3 at the most.

>vinyl got a lot better towards the end
Were you watching the show in reverse?
>Every Character gets more unlikable over time
>Music Choices got worst and worst
>Drama just fell off a cliff when he confesses

No. Got halfway through the Florida everglades season and stopped watching. Doesn't sound like I missed much.

Yeah didn't much understand that. The cuck meme wasn't alive back then but oh man imagine the shitposts.
Shit was gross

tut tut tut tut tut

The final season was good, at least the last half of it. The ending was great.

went to shit when jimmy died

Harrow was a fucking badass.

Ending of the show was shit.

Yeah, I know a lot of people like hated the ending, but I thought it was very well done, and a fitting conclusion to the series. It was shitty that they had to shorten the final season, but overall I thought it was well done, and that it was better than the preceding season. Seasons 1 and 2 were the best though.

GOAT moment 2bh

youtube.com/watch?v=vw5pYWb-Ppc

I watched the first two seasons. I liked it, but didn't feel the need to keep watching it. I liked Harrow, but every other character is a huge asshole in his own special way. Because of that I didn't really care what happened to them

How did they manage to fuck it up, considering they had an interesting premise and great casting?

Yep. Too bad it sounds like they did this as the actor was a nightmare to deal with.

It's the greatest show of all time, the writers didn't get bored of it. GOT just destroyed its ratings along with the average plebs getting butt hurt about Jimmy's death without realizing that it was an incredible part in the show and the show lost nothing in quality.

Loved the production values, it was like a window into the 20s. Also loved how they incorporated newsworthy events of the era. Ended up reading a lot about the Prohibition and the famous mobsters.

The last season left me feeling incredibly empty. Should have stopped at season 4

Jimmy was a cunt anyway

underrated post

It's supposed to leave you empty, that's kind of exactly what they were showing you, you know with Nucky's sinful choices based mainly on greed eventually taking everything he has.

It was amazing at first, and slowly slipped into weird territory. Season 4 especially really showed how lost/bored the writers got after they killed off Jimmy earlier. Overall one of my favourite shows, but I can't help but wonder how good it could have been if nothing fell apart in the earlier seasons and they didn't lose steam.

>I'm optimistic for season 2
Is that because Winters left and you think the new show runner(s) will actually put some effort in to salvage it?

>The show couldve been better if they didnt have to speed up commodore and jimmys storyline due to the actor playing the commodores health.
Sure it wasn't just because Jimmy was just a cunt to work with? Because the commodore kept showing up even when Jimmy kicked it.

Pretty much. Although I gotta give credit to season 3 pulling out a decent story, even if the writers couldn't manage to give a fuck after the season ended.

Essentially, not that anyone will outright admit it, Jimmy's actor was an asshole and instead of putting up with his shit they wrote him out. The downside was the show was designed around him being there until the end so the show runners had to make shit up after season 2/3 and ran out of steam/fucks to give and that's all she wrote.

This is some of the craziest bullshit I've seen to explain the show's decline. It had nothing to do with GoT. The shows never competed for air time or attention. It was definitely a failure within the shows creative team to keep driving forward and the quality did suffer as they no longer had their overall plan to follow keeping them interested and focused after season 2.

The scene where Nucky kills Jimmy eclipses any scene in GOT or The Sopranos. Jesus christ, it was fucking beautiful. "I died in the trench, years back." The best part of that show was the dynamic Jimmy and Richard shared. Come to think of it, Richard's death was pretty good too.

With that being said, the final season was fucking horrible and the series finale was horribly contrived. The show went to shit after Richard died.

Also, Gyp Rosetti was fucking GOAT as an antagonist. The scene where the hitmen come to kill him when he's fucking that chick from behind is fucking amazing.

All of the hype that should've been focused on BE was diverted to GOT and HBO's ad budget went where the hype was. Winters wasn't frustrated because he didn't want to continue the show, he was frustrated because he got screwed out of a season and two episodes because HBO wanted to clear out the show without a cancellation. The fourth season is the only one that I don't think was amazing and it was still great. 5 was shortened, didn't have the 1928 bridge season that we all know is supposed to be there, and still managed to accomplish everything it needed to beautifully, that's impressive as fuck. Season 3 is tied with 1 for the best imo. Season 2 is right behind those two and it has the strongest strong points but it just had one or two episodes that weren't incredible.

>tfw Jimmyfags won

What do you guys do to cope with the fact?

How can you even say anything positive about the pile of shit that was S4?

Nothing you say matters until you admit that S4 was shit. Of course S3 and S5 also sucked.

Can anyone explain why they thought the finale was bad?

It seemed appropriate for a gangster series.

I will state it. It was not a pile of shit. I pirated all of it. I've dropped many shows without ever picking them back up because I lack that quality that makes me want to see a show to the end in hopes of the end being worth it.

I have no loyalty to BE. I watched all seasons, and I enjoyed all of them. What is wrong with you?

>season 4 was shit because niggers and Florida
I'm sick of this meme. The nig off was great, just because you don't like the topic doesn't mean it wasn't done excellently. Also the FBI and Eli plot was incredible and made the entire season better through association. The Tampa stuff could've been reduced but the second time Nucky had Landky on his knees is one of those moments that is even better on a rewatch knowing what eventually happens. If you honestly think season 3 and 5 sucked then you don't deserve to enjoy the show and I don't understand why you even liked the first two seasons

Yeah I fucking love the part where you see his dick, man his dick looks so fucking good and juicy. I'd love to suck that hot beautiful cock any day of the week.

Such a good show.

Van Autism was great comic relief.
youtube.com/watch?v=51B-sXtV_6g&feature=player_embedded#t=236.731143

I can maybe see with advertising, although as someone not living in a major city to see billboards, etc, the focus on TV spots and everything else was just as even as before GoT took off so I honestly didn't see much of a change personally.

I also would say Winters wasn't innocent in things. It's pretty clear he wasn't as on the ball after they went ahead and removed Jimmy. The original plan had Jimmy going for the long run, and once you change a core pillar of something the creativity slips away from even the best people.

Season 3 being self-contained did no favours to transition into a new overall plot and viewers took note. Although I still loved it, and was still hooked then. Up until the end, which showed it being a self-contained plot, it did well to fill in the gaps left by Jimmy and push the subplots forward. I think after that the show essentially started fast tracking and jumping all over, which caused season 4 to suffer, which made viewers fall out, and sealed the fate of the show needing a timely end.

By the end it was clear he just wanted to end the show. It wasn't just HBO saying they're pulling the plug, he was definitely on board to finish it and move on by the end of season 4.

Because Jimmy's kid came out of nowhere and killed Nucky. I mean, maybe with more story development this would have been a good move, but it felt incredibly forced, especially considering there were a plethora of other people that could have ended nucky.

>I also would say Winters wasn't innocent in things.

I'm starting to think that too, look what happened to him with Vinyl

Go ahead and kill yourself.
>doesn't mean it wasn't done excellently
End your life.

>liking S4
>not hating S4

Kill yourself.

Not them, and I wouldn't say it was bad myself, but it did feel contrived and lazy. Like some kind of fall back because they wanted to make it seem different and go against expectations as the person Nucky was based on did actually keep existing past prohibition. It was sorely lacking something.

Huh? With more story development that definitely would've felt forced. I know the finale didn't meet your expectations, you already conveyed that. Anything else about the finale that bothered you?

>people talking about BE like the main conflict was between cops vs gangsters or gangsters vs gangsters
>they don't realize it's between a man and his own soul even after we see him sell his soul (Gillian) to the devil (Cunnydore)
God I hate how pleb this board is now

He didnt exactly come out of nowhere. His motive makes sense.

That was just forced into season 5. The real conflict was between father (figures) and their sons (proteges).

whats next for organized crime seiries? 70s where theyre in ny known as a "syndicate" ?50s era? we wuz kings era?

drugs miami, 80s ny seem overplayed.

how about some PA mobs with ny antagonists? id ask for a chinese tong mafia show but the state of asian actors and jews thinking can have a profit is slim

I'd never compare Breaking Bad to Boardwalk Empire but the general dissatisfaction about the finale feels like it's coming from the same shitty feelings of inadequate fanservice

>Jimmy's son killing him was forced
>they actively make it a point that Nucky's sins carry on to unexpected characters
>kills the product of his first unforgivable sin
>the product of that character's sin kills him
Evil is a complicated web

Sure, it makes sense, but it could have been done better. I think the finale, coupled with the fact that several years were lost between the final season and the season before it, things felt incredibly rushed. I havent rewatched the show, but I feel like there is a HUGE disconnect between the entire series and the last season. I was severely disappointed because I truly enjoyed BE more than I am enjoying GOT.

BWE had already been dead long before S5. Whatever end the show had it was a mercy.

Breaking Bad could've redeemed itself since finale was built up to but it was mediocre garbage just like the last season so it was unforgivable.

Season 1 tells you exactly what happened in season 5. It just doesn't show it. S1 also had the most important line of dialogue regarding this with the "We all have to figure out how much sin we're willing to live with" the show was very consistent with its message.

>implying the third and fourth seasons of BrBa were better than the third and fourth of BE

Boardwalk Empire was always mediocre. It shouldn't have won an Emmy for the first season. It felt turgid and trite without even of hint of originality. It's like someone assembled all the HBO cliches and shoved them into one show.

I honestly don't even see why would anyone go through the trouble of that useless comparison but I'd say Breaking Bad had better S3-4 because at least the show was still fun and delivered towards things that made the show what it is: Walt's self-destruct, drugcooking, catmouse games with Hank etc

BWE? S3 completely shit on the tone of the series. Harrow literally became pure fanservice and Gyp was an overthetop villain that had no purpose in the show other than to make things more interesting via contrived conflict even if it meant that none of his actions made any sense or had any reasonable motive behind them. Nucky became less interesting.

S4 was pure shit. Don't even care to explain why for that one.

Way too much shit went down that we didn't get to see between season 4 and 5. Because of Winter's decision to strictly adhere to historical major events, we didn't really see Luciano rise. We sure as fuck didn't see Rothstein's fall which certainly would have been compelling.

And as someone thats not a Jimmyfag, without Jimmy the show had to understandably focus on the more minor characters and that's the drop in quality. I gave zero fucks about Chalky having an affair. I didn't need to see Gillain be romanced in depth. Those two subplots took up a ridiculous amount of screentime.

Still, I really liked it overall, I loved the first three seasons.

>It's a "Sup Forums followed a show for all the wrong reasons" episode

Enjoy talking shit about it in the years to come as you struggle with the knowledge of how much time you wasted on it

Season 3 continued down the road they had already started going down with Nucky losing those closest to him and morally deteriorating, you're just blind. The Harrow thing wasn't really fan service considering he wasn't the fan favorite until that season. The end scene was fine too, he took a gang of drunk idiots by surprise and fucked them up while they freaked out. You are literally autistic if you think that was a bad scene. Gyp was t just there to make things more interesting, he served the crucial role of giving fans the motivation to root for Nucky after he had killed Jimmy. People quit after Jimmy's death, a ton didn't know if they could support Nucky after the execution, Gyp got the viewer back on his side. I don't understand what you think didn't make sense about what Gyp did. He has quotas he has to make or Joe the Boss will fuck him up, Nucky cuts him off cold turkey in a way that he believes he was personally insulted. Crazy, old time Italians don't take that shit lightly and it's pretty easy to think that the craziest ones would be drawn to that kind of work.

I always have to ask someone to elaborate on the faults of a given show when they complain about a scene done in "fanservice." The Harrowing event in BE is one of them, and despite all their points and justification they don't manage to persuade me from thinking they didn't hate The Harrowing so much as wishing the show had more pleasing scenes like that. I can't take their criticism seriously about the show. The show did have genuine problems, but it's not what they're complaining about at all.

gave up on the first episode because of shitty and unnecessary cgi

i dont really care about the story.
i just skip every non-Gretchen Mol. she's fuking hot

Really loved S1-S3, thought Season 4 was meh and Season 5 was good a little rushed because HBO can only have one big budget show apparently (GoT).

Still pissed Rothstein never got any closure....

It had it's ups and downs, but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

>shitty
One of the few uses of CGI that you can't complain about, stop trying to fit in with the nostalgiafags

worst post in the thread, clearly written by someone that didn't get the show

Nucky Thompson, more like Cucky Thompson

Yes.