/lang/ - Language learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.
previous thread:

Just started with russian, I don't know what the fuck I should do with these
>щ ш ж.
I think I pronounce щ right

I don't know the difference between ш and щ but ж is like the 's' in pleasure
t. slav pro

From what I know:
ш - "sh" as in SHut
щ - "shsh" as in welSH SHeep (like normal "sh" but with your tongue placed near your top teeth
ж - "zh" like mentioned, as in the 's' in pleasure. If you know a little French I like to think of it as the "je" part of "je suis," they're quite similar

Unrelated, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice if you're trying to learn a language and being actively discouraged by your family. I think my Mum still has a Cold War-esc mentality and thinks that because I want to learn Russian I'm turning into an extremist or some shit.

I just like the language, feel like Russians have got the short end of the stick in the past few decades, and I feel like Russia will become a lot more economically relevant sometime soon (especially so with Trump talking about increasing trade relations and what not)

Keeping up motivation to learn a language by yourself is hard enough as it is, but when you have the people who are meant to be closest to you actively berating you and poking fun; it makes it that much harder

読むことは難しいだすね。

J'étudie française maintenant. Cherche un personne pour pratiquer ma prononciation un peu.

Also can help you with russian.

When you listen to a language to gain understanding of listening/speaking, can you just listen nonchalantly as background noise, or should you be actively listening and trying to make sense of what is being said? Dumb question I guess, but I'm just curious.

Comment ?

>Comment ?

Par le Skype, par le WhatsApp. Il y a beaucoup de logiciel pour les ordinateurs pour parler je pense.

Any portuguese speaker here? How do I pronounce the "-ão" at the end of words properly? And why did "-ón" become "-ão" in portuguese ? Why do words like "Cavalleria" in medieval times kept the "V" in portuguese but are spelt with "B" in Spanish ?

(Désolé du retard) Peut-être que je peux t'aider, cependant, je ne suis pas courant en français, mais qui sait ce qui pourrait se passer...

AFAIK, "-ão" is like "ow" but with a nasal pronunciation (sorry I don't wanna fuck you up, just trying). Can't answer your other questions, though.

>logiciel pour les ordinateurs
C'est redondant. Au lieu, simplement dis-tu "logiciel."

>What language are you learning?
German
>Share language learning experiences!

>be me
>learn English since kindergarten and still suck at it

>be me
>primary school
>everybody learns Russian because school director is Russian and she wanted to earn moar
>in 3 years we learn the alphabet and some very basic shit I don't even remember by now
>I still can't alphabet
>fast forward to high school
>German, Russian and some Romance trash language to chose from
>you don't want to learn Russian anymore so you take the red pill
>everybody around you memes you how German is shit an a language of enemy and a shit
>did I mention German was shit? Well it is
>hate it, don't learn it, barely even pass the class
>meanwhile score C at FCE
>forward to uni
>AIESEC language workshops with native speaker, they're very cheap
>start with English B2
>summer break, wtf they have Japanese now
>take Japanese A1 and English C1
>Japanese """native speaker""" turns out to be a super cute Chinese grill
>literally the best teacher I've ever had but also a massive attention whore but enough about her
>oh, when we talked to each other in Polish to explain something one of us didn't understand or something, her reaction was to speak random shit in mixed Japanese and Chinese until we were quiet xD; also she picked up more and more Polish words quite fast
>English teacher was Canadian shitskin land whale who thought C1 level means being able to speak like a B1 but on "difficult" topics like world conflicts, poverty and racism
>all her preparations to the lesson was to pick up a random Ted Talk video and make up some topics for us to discuss or to do writing exercises which she never even checked
>meanwhile listen to a lot of German songs and realize you really like German
>pick up German at uni
>pick up German at AIESEC but they cancel it
>be it today
H-hi.

day 14 learning python
made a tax calculator app

>Unrelated, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice if you're trying to learn a language and being actively discouraged by your family. I think my Mum still has a Cold War-esc mentality and thinks that because I want to learn Russian I'm turning into an extremist or some shit.

what extremist about russian ? it's nit like you're learning arabic
keep it up user, don"t let your family t ell you what to do.

>Par le Skype, par le WhatsApp.
Par skype ou whatsapp, no need to put "le" before.
i can help you if you help me in russian senpai

>When you listen to a language to gain understanding of listening/speaking, can you just listen nonchalantly as background noise, or should you be actively listening and trying to make sense of what is being said?
Both imho. On the one hand you want to simply hear the sound of the language. How words are said without reference to meaning. On the other hand it is an important tool to grasp the structure and meaning of the language as it is being used.

Finnish

Blease help me

Thanks, user.

Daaaaaaaaamn, I've heard no one ever gets fluent in that language, not sure if it's a meme or what, but I wouldn't doubt it looking at verb declension alone. Best of luck.

>day 14 learning python
>made a tax calculator app
i am learning C++

>learning python
What's there to learn about?

Autre user, mais je peux t' aider avec le russe. Communication par texte, je suis timide.

Envoies tes contacts à mon e-mail, stp.
speedlizard[arobase]yandex.ru

درست العربية لمدة طويلة لكنني مازلت سيئا فيها
私は日本語を勉強したい, だけど難しいな言語と思いますです
Is Russian easy grammar wise? Does anyone have good learning material?

6 cases
very particular about prefixes and the correspondent prepositions
and don't get me started on the verbal aspects

I have one (one) question to french:
Why your questions are so retarded?

And don't forget punctuation!