/languages/

Which of the Nordic languages is the most difficult to learn for a Spanish speaker?
I find it interesting in his pronunciation, I want to learn one of them. I have also considered the Neerdland

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=whfZ1LnbJWc
youtube.com/watch?v=PtKhhaeBq50
youtube.com/watch?v=y1HEO_fxkdY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

probably finnish

i heard that danish and finnish are a nightmare, and that swedish and norwegian are pretty similar, much like romance languages

WTF!? I just read that English is spoken in all those countries, is it true?

Helppo, oppi meikki myös
>>youtube.com/watch?v=whfZ1LnbJWc

finnish is generally considered uralic, not north germanic, but if you're going to lump those ones in i'd say the "hardest" would be estonian

If it is so difficult, at what age do children learn?

Would they accept a southern Aryan in Denmark?

Danish is a throat disease masquerading as a language, so definitely that one out of the Germanic ones, or Icelandic if it counts. However, if your definition of Nordic is based on simply being in the region, not linguistic families, then Finnish would be an order of magnitude more alien and mysterious.

difficulty is relative, so i said it from the perspective of a romance language speaker. kids are surrounded by whatever their mother tongue is and have no preconceptions, so they'll learn fast no matter what.

kids in southeast asia don't fail to speak for years because they're around "hard" tonal languages, it's just the norm for them

Interesting, tell me a little more, please.

(con't)
and it cuts both ways-- my wife is from laos and occasionally still has trouble with verb conjugation or tense because that's something that doesn't exist in her tongue.

also what said, of the examples you gave finnish is the most unlike spanish

Danish has a fucking nightmare of a phonetic system, I think it's safe to say about 90% of sounds in any given word won't coincide exactly with any sounds in any other European language. I doubt you can read IPA, so I don't really know how to explain it in detail except by saying that if you think proper English pronunciation is hard, Danish is about 10 times worse.

Icelandic has less of a fuck-you phonetic system (still pretty different from Spanish but impossible to master), but it's got things you probably aren't even aware exist, like grammatical cases, or passive and medial voice in addition to active. Then there's the seven million fucking conjugations for verbs and nouns, relatively free word order, and other satanic shit.

Finnish is just plain different from any language you've come in contact with (I assume they were all Indo-European). It's agglutinative, which means that the main way of expressing things is through adding "suffixes" of sorts to the end of the word, and you can theoretically add an infinitive amount of them and end up with monster words of 50 letters that mean "it is doubtful that your red book on the table really was there by that time" or something (not a real example, I don't actually speak Finnish, but that's the gist of it). If that wasn't enough, those grammatical cases I mentioned? Finnish is basically built around them, so instead of 4 like in Icelandic or 6 like in Russian, you've got 15. And it's unrelated to Indo-European languages AND very purist, so you won't recognize almost any of the words unlike Danish and Icelandic (those two have a ton of cognates with English). Basically, you'll drop it sooner or later unless you move to Finland and have no choice but to learn it.

Is the Swedish girl sunburnt?

He slept in the snow

>he

Hey it IS Sweden and it IS current year

ups...

That woman on the left isn't Finnish though.

And on what basis is Estonian more difficult than Finnish for a romance speaker?

Italian is a Romance language (?

Danish is hardest, go listen to some Norwegian speaking and then to some Dane. The languages are basically identical- Norwegians are just mountain Danes, but Norwegians actually sound like humans when speaking, i thought Sup Forums memes were just memes but i have seen norwegian and dane pronouncing same sentence and its insane

I've heard this rumour, but so what?

Estonian and Finnish are phonetically almost equal, except for frivolous shit like õ and lack of vowel harmony. The latter & also slightly simpler use of suffixes should make Estonian even more approachable of the two

Yes.

No clue why he said that, I'm not familiar enough with either to know. My guess is that Estonian has about five more phonemes that are kind of a bitch to pronounce for a Spanish speaker (/lʲ/, /nʲ/, /sʲ/, /tʲ/, /ɤ/; I can into the first four no problem because I'm a Slav, but the last one is rare as shit and really hard to get right), so out of those two it'll be harder, even if not by that much.

>lack of vowel harmony. The latter & also slightly simpler use of suffixes should make Estonian even more approachable of the two

Dunno, I think the harmony's actually a plus, it makes word endings more predictable so you don't fuck up the cases as much.

>My guess is that Estonian has about five more phonemes that are kind of a bitch to pronounce for a Spanish speaker
Which is what I was thinking of, but looking back on the post I'd probably take it back and say both are going to suck no matter what.

Yeah, Finnish doesn't have those palatalized slav consonants. So if you're more concerned over grammar, maybe Estonian is easier to pick up, if it's phonetics, probably Finnish. Either way, you're fucked and the differences are probably marginal.

Personally I'm reluctant to give a lot of fucks over pronunciation though, as long as people understand me, I'm fine with it.

t. finngol

Mitä vittua sä teet siel Saksas.

Lähtisit nyt ees vähän etelämmäks karkuun.

I think the order of difficulty goes like
Finnish (ayy lmao)
Icelandic (slightly gay Norse)
Danish (Dutch: Nordic Edition)
Swedish
Norwegian

I agree with this, but note that the actual difference between Norwegian, Swedish and Danish is in pronounciation only (where Danish would be slightly more difficult). Grammar and vocabulary is 95% the same.

Onx sulla keskus- tai edes mitään lämmitystä siellä? Puskaradion mukaan Espanjan talot on _ihan vitun_ kylmiä syksystäkevääseen, koska ne ei osaa lämmittää tai eristäämökkejään.

Ihan paska maa Saksakin on, though, voisin valittaa loputtomiin nettiyhteyksistäja turhasta byrokratiasta.

norwegian is probably the easiest for english speakers to learn, although icelandic is quite similar to old english

but all scandis essentially speak the same language, so pick one of those three and run with that

finnish is finno-urgic and shouldn't even be mentioned really

sure, but immigration laws are strict as fuck

By Scandi standards lmao, American or British immigration laws are stricter by a shitload, not to mention places like Switzerland or Japan, or the absolute champion Kuwait which doesn't allow non-citizens to become citizens in any way whatsoever except temporarily for Olympic athletes (revoked when they stop representing the country in contests) or by super duper special decrees.

you dont need citizenship, just residence permit

Juuh ei oo lämmitystä. Sähköpatterilla selvitään mut on kyl aidosti vaikeaa ymmärtää miks nää ihmiset ei jaksa vaivautua sen vertaan et tekis kämpistä edes joten kuten lämpöeristäviä.

>American or British immigration laws are stricter by a shitload
no

N'dih.

Jotenkin musta tuntuu et tääkeskieurooppa on best of both worlds. Infrastruktuuri on vähän paskempaa mut toimii vielä, kulttuuri on vähän rennompaa mut ei ihan lattari-inyourface-tier hullua.

Mut emt, en oo koskaan asunut välimeren alueella. Jos siihen ilmastoon sais tuotua täkäläisen infran ja kulttuurin, oisin samantien mukana.

Do not be afraid, Argentinabro, it is I, the MASTER OF THE NORDIC LANGUAGES. I will tell you all you need to know.

There are 7 languages spoken in the North:
Icelandic
Finnish
Faroese
D*nish
New D*nish (AKA Norwegian)
Swedish
Greenlandic (and Sami)

Of the Norse descended languages (Icelandic, Faroese, D*nish, New D*nish, Swedish) Icelandic is the best and most difficult (master key to all Norse languages) and Faroese is the 2nd best and 2nd most difficult. Swedish is of medium difficulty and quality. D*nish is the worst language on the planet and quite difficult, but New D*nish is the easiest (and 2nd worst) as it is basically English with D*nish spelling.

OF ALL THE LANGUAGES, Finnish is the most difficult, followed by Greenlandic and Sami and those languages are all useless and stupid.

Therefore you shall learn Icelandic as it is the noblest and most beautiful language, superior to all others.

BEWARE! Impostors will try to undermine the MASTERS OF THE NORDIC LANGUAGES' wisdom, with deceit and lies. They will tell you many untruths to get you to drift from the path of the MASTER OF THE NORDIC LANGUAGES.
Be alert and faithful to what you have learned, and one day you may also become MASTER OF THE NORDIC LANGUAGES

Thank you for sharing so much grandmaster wisdom. I will learn Icelandic, the most pure and beautiful language.

>I spit on my gaucho roots.

can you understand each other?

Probablemente no, como chilenos y el resto de los hispanohablantes.

deleta eso

>Finnish is the most difficult, followed by Greenlandic and Sami and those languages are all useless and stupid.

There are almost as much sami speakers in the world as Icelanders so shoo shoo i'd watch what i say.

And what comes to thread subject. Finnish is the hardest one. When teaching finnish to a foreigner the first thing they're told is that you'll never be able to pronounce things properly even after years of active speaking. Also Postpositions and adding things to a word to gove it context can pretty much turn someone away from learning it. Unironically i have been told many times it's one of the most beautiful languages tho.

youtube.com/watch?v=PtKhhaeBq50

>Iceland
lol

> ... you will never be able to pronounce things correctly, even after years of active speech ...

I have seen many videos in Finnish and the sounds are similar to Spanish. You teach the language?

No, but know people who've been taught it. It's hard to explain. Everything is pronounced as it is written. there's no silent letters, special rules or such. Just the way letters themselves are pronounced.

youtube.com/watch?v=y1HEO_fxkdY

>I have seen many videos in Finnish and the sounds are similar to Spanish.

They mostly are, but it's not the actual phonemes, it's the fact that both vowels and consonants can be long or short and it affects the meaning.

Same in Spanish, you can read exactly the same as it is pronounced, not like in English for example. I'll learn Finnish even if it's the last thing I do...

>It's 03:39 in Finland, why are you awake?

Didn't sleep at all this night.

what?!

Norwegians understand both Swedes and Danes pretty well and vice versa, but Swedes and Danes have a hard time understanding each other.
Well, at least in spoken form anyway. In text we have an easier time getting the message across to each other, but when speaking the Swede may as well be speaking Somali and the Dane may as well be speaking German.

okay...

>Danish is a throat disease masquerading as a language

It honestly sounds like a drunk and or retarded person speaking German.

We call it the hot potato in mouth effect. I swear to god i can't make anything out of danish.

are you hot twink?

>it's the fact that both vowels and consonants can be long or short and it affects the meaning.
The difference is spelled very clearly though
>tuli (fire)
>tuuli (wind)
>tulli (customs)

This is way more prevalent.