There is a MASSIVE split of opinions about Warcraft going on right now...

There is a MASSIVE split of opinions about Warcraft going on right now. Current RT/Meta only shows a very small perspective of the big picture. Apart from those, here's what I've gathered:

>According to European coverage, it has been generally well received by European critics after it's release in several European markets this week
>According to social media and user reviews/ratings, it was very well received by most fans
>According to social media and user ratings/reviews, it has been split among non-fans

Some of the main pros I've heard:
>Visuals are amazing
>Battles are great
>Music was great
>Cinematography was good
>Orc acting was good
>It works fantastic as a spectacle

Some of the main cons I've heard:
>Felt a little rushed
>Insufficient time for character development
>Editing wasn't very good in some places
>Dialogue could have been better
>Human acting was a mixed bag

What an extended cut may be able to fix:
>An extra 10~15 min. at the start of the movie to properly set up the characters and story to not make it feel so rushed and sometimes confusing and allow people to get better invested in the characters
>Better editing in certain places

I think this might end up being the most polarizing movie of the year. And it might go through a The Kingdom/Fight Club thing where either a different cut saves it or it grows on people over time when they understand it better.

I saw it yesterday and you pretty much summed it up.

A lot of people are yelling about bad CGI and Visuals, but they just haven't seen the movie and want to spread negative opinions.

I meet a lot of them here on Sup Forums

One part I didn't like is the fight with the Golem

So far all the negative comments on this board are from people who haven't seen the movie.

>massive split of opinions

I wouldn't call the opinions "shit" and "complete shit" a massive split

I've seen it. It's not that bad, pretty mediocre to me, but most people in my country, who watched it, absolutely loved it.

Thank you. You added a lot to the conversion. You are a massive asset to the Sup Forums community.

I was pleasantly surprised by violence

I thought it's going to be child friendly orc flick.

Gul'dan was pretty amazeballs [/spoilers]

Its shit dude, stop shilling so hard

Orcs had green blood. I dont think they are supposed to have green blood.

Do you expect the rating to go up to 50% once embargo lifts and more critics get to see it?

>Cinematography was good, visuals are amazing
only if the trailers showed the only 2 mins of worst examples. All human scenes are the most laughable material I've ever seen in a movie
>that griffon flight
>that cathedral speech
>that throne room
>that Medivh's library
>that human armor

>22%

Stop shilling this piece of shit already.
Just rewatch LOTR directors cut.

>The opinions of people who have seen vs the opinion of one dude basing himself of trailers
Trailers can be misleading, especially when seen out of context, we know this. Stop pretending we don't.

I've seen even people who were very harsh on the movie and giving it 3/10 still say that the one redeeming thing were the visuals looked insane in some places.

Some of the main cons I've heard:
>video game film? into to the trash it goes
>DUDE ORCS, LMAO
>not enough quips

>>DUDE ORCS, LMAO
Ironic cause they're one of the best parts of the movie.

>Trailers can be misleading
I bet you can't wait for the Ghostbusters masterpiece.

Kermode liked it. I mean he had problems with it but he said he was emotionally engaged and enjoyed himself. I do feel like he is being soft on it cause he likes DJ however.

>Silly hippies
>best part

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR FAGGOT TOMATOES SCORE
ONLY IMDB

they help if you've accepted that the movie is meant to feel like a cartoon. otherwise they just make everything else harder to buy into.

Kermode was like the only person who liked Transcendence cause he gets Pfisted on a regular basis.

What a compelling argument, that user must be re-evaluating his position.

I thought it was really terrific as a fantasy flick

Most reviewers who rated it negatively that I've seen just basically say

>I didn't understand what was going on, and I wasn't laughing, so it must've been really bad on all levels.

Shut looks like it's going to be a live action Rankin and Bass cartoon. I fucking love flight of the dragons and last unicorn so I bet this shit will be my jam.

>all the fucking CGI

It's wildly excessive, they fucking CGI DWARVES, what the fuck

Honestly from the trailers the dwarves looked glorious, so did the orcs because of motion capture and CGI but yet the humans and elves are live-action and look like awful wooden cosplayers.

Quite frankly, this wouldn't look nearly as bad if they did it entirely CGI.

2 of the critics who gave Warcraft a rotten score gave Dragonball: Evolution a fresh score. One of them gave it a 4/5.

Those orcs alone made the movie. It's amazing.

>the dwarves from trailers looked glorious
are you insane? they aren't supposed to look like monsters in comparison to humans

literally no reason other than lazyness not to make them like Lotr/Hobbit did

Soo... basically BvS?

It's down to 22% now

HAHAHAHAHA

Basically, yes.

Someone confirm this?

>they aren't supposed to look like monsters in comparison to humans
They aren't supposed to look like short, fat humans either.
>literally no reason other than lazyness not to make them like Lotr/Hobbit did
Granted

Confirmed. And it allowed them to get away with a lot more stuff on a PG-13 rating. Smart move imo.

>fans are actually starting to ask for a director's cut due to this movie being only 123 minutes and too short for all the lore

KEK so basically it is the second BvS? I doubt Duncan will have the guts as Snyder did with deciding to make a 3 hour version. At least BvS is still going to sell massively in Blu Ray sales as most even those who didn't like the movie much will wanna see all the extra violence and scenes cut out whereas with Warcraft - no one gives a shit about it apart from the 5 million who still play WoW and a few extra hundred who like bad low budget fantasies.

>They changed the orc blood to green due to the movie being PG 13
Fucking Hell. FUCK YOU DUNCAN!!

He better release an Uncut version with the blood being red otherwise I am not watching this movie

I like the director but holy shit am I sick of seeing every new disappointing movie get the exact same critic of "it's a good spectacle but it needs better editing & extendes scenes which will be fixed with MUH director's cut"

Maybe I'm retarded, but wasnt that due to the fel-magic influencing them?

Saw the movie yesterday and I agree completely with this. To be honest I found it to be a decent movie and a good fantasy film.

That's what I thought would happen with BvS... but it didn't ;_;

>1 dwarf in LotR.
>Dwarves (+ Bilbo) at center of Hobbit story, Warcraft dwarves are not.
>LotR behind the scenes revealed dwarves were the hardest race to do technically because of lots of makeup/costume problems and scale problems.
Not comparable. And Warcraft dwarves aren't really LotR dwarves either. They looked fine in CGI for the role they had here.

too much content, not enough time

should've planned it out to 2 movies

You're trying to pull another BvS again i see. Ignoring the RT/Meta score...
Get over it, it sucks...

What the fuck are you people talking about? Dwarves have always been short, stocky humans since the moment they were introduced in Warcraft 2. It's kindof "what dwarves are" as a fantasy trope

That fight in the desert actually looked good.

No idea what part in movie it is and don't know the character's cos I am not a Warcraft fan

>Bad
You haven't seen it yet. Or are you that much of a faggot that you base your opinion of a movie on the rotten tomato score?
>Low budget
No

Why does anyone think for even a split second that WoW fanboy opinions matter? The games are absolute drivel.

>Broke yearly sales record in both China and Russia, opened at n1 in all 11 European markets it opened in this week.
Stop it user.

One reviewer stated that the movie is too short that they never explain the background story about the female orc like why is she there with the humans or something?

is this true

I hope this is a troll. Because if not you've just embodied the type of unreasonable lore fanatic everyone laughs at on this board.

Visualsand cgi was great. They didnt go for realism and make it like warcarft movies. I hope they will do more movies

We don't. Plus it's a legit critique for some movies so stop whining.

>it has been generally well received by European critics
lol no, pic related it's french critics

Its okay user. People will come around eventually

This is the movie of the year that its cool to hate because:

1: It's cool to hate video game movies
2: It's cool to hate fantasy movies
3: It's cool to hate Blizzard's stuff
4: It's cool to hate movies with extensive use of CGI

>13 RT reviews for Warcraft
>333 RT reviews for BvS
Chill.

>Return of the king Budget
94 Million
>Warcraft budget
160 Million

WTF what went wrong then? Why do all the human scenes in Warcraft look so fake behind blue screens?

Just look at pic related. It is Star Wars prequel tier - meaning that they used real sets but the way it is lighted, how plastic the costumes and walls look - it gives off a blue screen animated feel.

Which is why that critic who saw it said this movie reminded him of Iphone App games.

It's a bad movie. For real.
Get over it Nerds.

They tried and it did not work...

>the french
why do they put their review scores on top of their flag? so obnoxious

Eurofag here, I saw it on Thursday. I've played loved WC2, WC3 and WoW in the past and I know the lore.

Visuals are quite good. The Orcs look amazing and the spells also quite nice. The movie maintains that "cartoony, kinda oversized" look of many of the weapons and armor, and I don't think it translates well into a film. The humans look goofy in their oversized armor and everything is so shiny.

Acting was passable to bad. Surprisingly, the worst performance was by Fimmel, but I have to put it down to a shit script and poor direction.

Major issue is that the movie is very rushed. The pacing is relentless and is has to be to fit everything they want to show into a 2 hour movie. There are a number of jarring scene changes simply because they don't have the time to show anything in between the plot points. It's also hard to give a shit about any of the characters when everthing proceeds so fast, even if they try to ham it up with sad music.

Just because Warcraft is making money doesn't make it a good movie at all.

Same goes with BvS. The whole reason it made money was because we never saw Batman fight Superman on the big screen ever. Same goes with Warcraft: we have never seen this game made into a movie so of course people will flock to the cinemas (although less people will go see Warcraft because it has a very minor fanbase compared to Batman and Superman super hero fans).

You have to remember as well: Warcraft has zero famous actors. BvS had Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons, Fishburne - so these famous actors help with making a box office hit (still feel sorry for Hemsworth in that fantasy movie though).

Exactly. Also, it's cool to hate shitty movies for some reason.

>Acting was passable to bad
Give me an example of why the acting is bad? Don't just say it sucks. WHAT made it bad? Were they not able to covney good emotion? Did they fake cry? What made it exactly bad?

One thing that bothered me is that the draenei conflict on draenor isn't explained. As someone who doesn't know warcraft you will ask:
-Why are there blue dudes imprisoned?
-Why can brown and green orcs coexist?
-How did they get this fel magic?

Green orcs had FEL dripping from them, other orcs and humans showed red blood on screen. What are you talking about.

>>Broke yearly sales record in Russia
Only 7th place m8.
1. Iron man 3
2. Minions
3. Star Wars 7
4. Deadpool
5. John Carter
6. Furious Seven
7. WarCraft

It's like that to keep the game aesthetics

>Old enemies unite to fight a common foe that endangers their shared homeland.

>They team up with an exotic hot chick that also just happens to be a kick ass warrior

There isn't a single original idea in this piece of shit and the movie looks like fucking garbage.

fel orc blood is still red

Comic nerds still defending BvS shitfest...
Warcraft nerds trying to defend this shitfest...

It's objectively one of the worst movies i've seen in the last few years.
Don't act like ALL those bad reviews and low scores are not true.
I understand how it is when you are a fan of the source material but...you need to except that it's a shit movie.

Azeroth isn't the homeland of the dindorcs

>LotR made as part of a trilogy that was one big production where the actual budget was 3x that and they were able to use a lot of the premade assets for all 3 movies to cut the cost
>Warcraft has loads of CGI necessary to remain faithful to the game including an entire race of orcs

>game aesthetics
>aesthetics
>implying

the only reason why the warcraftgamess look like this is because of hw limitations back then

I said that most of it was passable, and by that I mean that I wasn't struck by "huh that was a well acted scene". I'm not a movie major or movie buff, I just didn't feel it.

>yearly
>Iron Man 3
>Minions
>John Carter
>Furious Seven
I didn't know these movies came out this year.

Exactly what this fan said. This movie is only for the fans and not non fans who will have a hard time understanding.

BRAVO DUNCAN

This is exactly what my film teacher said to me:
>"Make other people watch your cut of the movie who have never seen its contents or know anything about it. If you keep showing it to people who know the story; they will judge it based on what they know about it, but a new audience who does not know the story will be able to give you feedback on things if they make sense or not."

Looks like Duncan never screened this movie to non fans and gotten their feedback to help make the movie make sense.

>this one guy who's trying so fucking hard to create a BvS connection
you're trying too hard. if the reviews keep it on this level, it will happen automatically. If it changes, it's never going to happen. stahp

Deadpool did, faggot.

Why do Warcraft fans lie so much?
Stuff like "Europe loved it", "Broke sales records in Russia"...

>Fans actually defending the bad CGI and practical sets due to Duncan making sure the movie looks like the animated game

This is another type of bait. No fans of BvS ever invented such a bizarre pathetic assumption.

>my film teacher
Opinion discarded

Did I say any of that? No. Don't change the argument. I was replying to the snarky "nobody gives a shit about it" when obviously people do.

>Why do Warcraft fans lie so much?
Videogames fans, even worse than DC cucks.
Get ready for petition to remove some reviews from RT and metacritic.

I didn't mention Deadpool, now did I?

They want to defend their movie. Their movie is their life.

Think of it as a mother who loves her defected baby with diseases. Will she tell herself that her baby is not normal like everyone else? Of course not; she will keep telling herself that her baby has special talented gifts.

And how it broke any sales record if it didn't even first this year?

>the truth is lies

what a time to be alive. I guess it's a lie that plenty of shit movies in recent years have made loads of money too.

>my film teacher who has worked editing films since the 70s in England and then moved to other countries
Yeah okay discard his opinion.

If you read what I said: I said that Duncan did not screen the movie to non fans where if he did; they could have gave him feedback on his cut, telling him if their was plotholes, if all the characters made sense with their backstory which as we can see with the critics it did not because Duncan was too busy making a movie only for diehard fans who knew all the lore already.

>22% tomatometer
>4.4 average rating

god I fucking hate this place so much. why are you shits so contrarian, so tryhard "hurrr I disagree with critics and the general consensus"

there is no "massive" split on this movie. it is so one sided to the shit side that it is fucking hilarious you think otherwise.

>Did I say any of that?
fuck oops sorry I didn't read the stop it user part because my eyes were so fixed on the green writing being amazed with the trollness of whoever wrote it breaking records.

I accidentally thought it was you cos I saw this troll statement and had to reply to the person who wrote this.

My bad user

The problem is that your "general consensus" is a shit site filled with retarded reviewers

Oh wow, one movie beat it. NOBODY CARES ABOUT WARCRAFT GUYS. One movie, out of hundreds that came out this year including some big blockbusters. If thats not an indication theres a market for this movie you're a retard.

>there is no "massive" split on this movie. it is so one sided to the shit side that it is fucking hilarious you think otherwise.
But that's not what most of people think. I think you need to look at the definition of word contrary before you post.

>According to European coverage, it has been generally well received by European critics

not in france then

CGI was the best part of the movie. You obviously haven't seen it, stop posting.

>NOBODY CARES ABOUT WARCRAFT GUYS
This is so true.

Bury this LOTR rip off fantasy and get back to making actual video game movies that matter like Assassin's Creed which stars the Fassbender - I predict that will get a 49% - 55% on Rotten.

>CGI was the best part of the movie
HAHAHAHA yeah right

10 reviews is not general consensus. Fucking RT themselves say it on their friggin ratings until they have enough to come up with one. These get hundreds before any type of "consensus" is formed.

>Desperate