English is a Germanic Language in the Latin Sprachbund

Germanic grammar and root words are in English's linguistic DNA, but the English language is part of the Romance-Latin "Sprachbund" (linguistic community), sharing most of its vocabulary and idiom with French, Spanish and Italian.

Therefore, English is a hybrid language.

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_common_words_in_English
anglistika.upol.cz/vikings2014/
amazon.com/dp/0029344700
onzetaal.nl/uploads/editor/0901etymologica.pdf
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicoline_van_der_Sijs
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_Old_English#Palatalization
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Frisian_languages
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why cana notta Finranadu completely intoo Germanic

cuck

Funnily english uses french words the french doesn't use anymore

english is a hybrid of west germanic and north germanic languages with romance loan words

that's it

Can confirm

Theres a lot space behind sauna

mostly romance though

Inderdaad, Engels is een hybride taal.

Je moeder is een hoer. Je vader likt aan mijn anus.
En in het weekend schijt ik in je zus haar mond.

not at all

most romance words are for scientific or legal usage and that skews the spectrum

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_common_words_in_English

ALL Germanic

here's an actual study on the english language for those interested:
anglistika.upol.cz/vikings2014/

to summarise, it states that english is a north germanic language and not a west germanic language as previously thought
the history behind it is that the angles and danes, needing to communicate, came up with a joint language that is formed around old norse grammar and peppered with saxon words
it goes on to state that as middle english evolved into modern english, english grammar continued to parallel scandinavian grammar, as opposed west germanic languages

> #27
WE

Half of the Dutch vocabulary is romance as well.

Take colour for example. We say kleur.
You say wallet (from French). We say portemonnee or portefeuille (also from French).

explains why English is such a retarded simple language, just like scandinavian ones.

This

>most romance words are for scientific or legal usage and that skews the spectrum

hybrid
germanic
languages
romance
scientific
legal
spectrum

It's a bit more than loanwords, like half your language is latin-derived.

This study has been rejected numerous times and is widely regarded as false.

Your post also doesn't capture the claim of the study, which is:

Angles and Saxons (early colonizers of england) spoke intelligible dialects: Anglo Saxon

At some point northern germanics invaded and old Norse started either a) killing off anglo Saxon and more likely b) slowly changing Anglo saxon

>latin-derived.

You're counting the entire vocabulary. These Latin words will be for things like biology, plant and animal names. No one is using the Latin name for things in every day speech, unless you're in a scientific field.

We have way fewer romance words than English though. I read a study which estimated it at 25% including obscure scientific words etc.

English is a west Germanic language with a few norrthen loan word sprinkled on top, which later got raped by french.

British language is pretty good but have bad teeth.

>
>>latin-derived.
>You're counting the entire vocabulary. These Latin words will be for things like biology, plant and animal names.

This is simply false.

If you actually go and read the methodology of the research you'll find that the researchers took 80,000 words (not even close to the whole vocabulary) from BUSINESS (no biology) letters which they analyzed.

amazon.com/dp/0029344700

We actually have 51% Romance words according to onzetaal. But in every day use it's only 25%.

>Ik heb ooit in de tweede druk van het Etymologisch woordenboek van Van Dale berekend dat van alle woorden die daarin staan, 51 procent afkomstig is uit een Romaanse taal en slechts 8 procent uit het Engels. Als we kijken naar het daadwerkelijke gebruik van woorden in een krant, is dat verschil nog groter: 25 procent van de woorden die op een willekeurige krantenpagina voorkomen, komt uit een Romaanse taal en slechts 2 procent uit het Engels. En van de nieuwe woorden die in een bijgewerkte druk van de Nederlandse woordenboeken worden opgenomen, is minder dan 15 procent een Engels leenwoord.
onzetaal.nl/uploads/editor/0901etymologica.pdf

And don't bother questioning the source. It's an autistic professor lady who wrote the etymology dictionary.
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicoline_van_der_Sijs

Shit book.

I find it really hard to pronounce it, and most spaniards think the same while it is really easy to me to pronounce french, italian or portuguese. Taking into account that it's hard for french, italians and spaniards to learn it, I guess it is close to be a germanic language rather than a latin.

But as you mentioned it is hybrid. But keep in mind that many languages have lots of words in common with greek and latin since they invented many cult and abstract terms that were unimaginable to the germanic tribes.

rude as fuck

of course it's germanic, the only people able to speak it as natives, are other germaniscs, latins always have hevy accent and make lots of mistakes writing

Fins can be good at it and they're aren't even Indo european

Your education is just shit

no! It's unnatural for a latin to speak perfect english, same way it is for a japanese.
We should find a medium ground, we don't have to be fully functinal in it, it becomes dangerous for our own language.
Finns learn english since 3 years old or sometinhg, we only start at 10, but I think we should only start at 12

Most germanics who are good at English start very young too. We had English lessons when I was 6.

Germans are so shit at English because they start much later.

The limiting factor seems to be age at which you start and not language family.

post sources refuting the study because i have yet to see anyone doing so

also that is quite literally not what the study claims, the study claims the joint anglo-norse language came AFTER the norse invasion once the two people needed to communicate

please try reading it

I refuse to believe Danish is dominant in northern germany.

Is it true?

Obviously, this is the same for any language, learn it when you're a kid and it's easier

Why are you posting behind a proxy now, Sweden?

no
Some signs in Flensburg are bilingual in German and Danish, a few towns have their Danish names written on the town signs as well but that's it.
Oh, and there are some Danish schools.

t. lived near Flensburg

No, only right at the border. There are only about 50k danes living in Northern Germany.

>oh no no lads, e-english h-has nothing to do with southern Europe. A-Am I right? J-Just lies.

thats not me, if it had been me it would have contained insults, I do not do subtle shitposting

This OP has a more realistic bait. He is not less retarded though.

>File: 02_MVG_esp_pet100.jpg (27 KB, 360x460)
>Italy, home of Latin
>Southern Europe

I don't have time/can't be bothered to discuss pseudo linguistics with you at this particular moment.

Try to do your research yourself. The refutations are not too rare.

Just understand that most of the "evidence" of this hypothesis hinges on the same aspects and "we wuz" mentality which makes you so vehemently oppose the "English is romance" hypothesis.

Thanks for proving my point

He's quite right though. Everything save for his conclusion checks out.

this is clearly a far more reasonable thread than I have ever made

Obviously, there would be no point in denying that the words do in fact exist in English. You would, however, have to be absolutely fucking retarded to classify English as something other than Germanic.

the study is by prof. joseph e. emonds of mit, and prof. jan terje faarlund of the university of oslo

both of which are highly respected in their respective fields of linguistics, this is not some "we wuz" study by literal nobodies

unless you have any actual studies or even claims made by equally credible sources who refute the study in question, i'm going to ignore you as a retard on Sup Forums who likes to chat shite about shite he doesn't understand so as to seem more intelligent

I started with English lessons at 10.

i'm starting to think this hollandfag is just baiting desu

Yes, that is just your average aquafresh poster.

The limiting factor (as with any other language) is how hard you practice.

I recognize him from other threads, he is pretty intelligent and knowledgable, clearly not someone you can just dismiss as a retard.

I know this Swede from other threads. You can easily ignore him.

> 57
JUST

I can't believe im taking this bait.

The whole notion of English being north Germanic disagrees with the comparative method, the FUNDAMENT of linguistic genetic research. There are clear sound changes shared between western Germanic languages which didn't occur in northern Germanic languages. That's where we got the whole definition of linguistic genetic relationships.

Example: the palatalization of k and g which only happened in Frisian and English.

Kirke in norwegian.

Tjerk in Frisian (pronounced: cherk)

Church in English.

(There are many more examples of this and I can't be bothered to do the IPA)

Many of the grammatical changes to English which also occured in the Nordic languages (this is what sparked the research) can be explained due to a tendency for contact heavy languages to get more analytical and due to both languages being in a sprachbund.

If anything, the study should a) conclude that old Norse and old english were in a sprachbund for while (which they no doubt were) or b) redefine genetic relatedness.

In no other way could "English is a Nordic language" be the conclusion of that particular study.

no i dont care what YOU have to say, you're some random fuckhead on Sup Forums

i want you to provide me with sources refuting the claims made in that study by other notable linguists, preferably a counter study

you are a literal nobody and are definitely not more credible than a professor at mit and a professor of north germanic linguistics at oslo

>only happened in Frisian and English
Okay my dude.

I'm posting on my phone in bed. I can't access the sources I normally could.

It's well attested.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_Old_English#Palatalization

Literally no further than the second sentence of that and it says it also happened in Swedish.

of course you are m8

i'm sure you're equally as decorated in the field of linguistics too
jog on now yeah?

>temporario

>Study, university, respected, respective,linguistics, literal, actual,claims, equally, credible, sources, refute, question, ignore, retard, chat, intelligent

Spotted. Somebody pls translate the post into dutch or danish to see how many obvious romance words I can spot

d e fel dock

>English is literally the linguistic version of pic related
Really grinds my thought gears

>le loan words
ah yes very good

>Similar to what happened in Italian and swedish
>Similar

The details differ.

Besides, would that mean Italian is now a Germanic language? Of course it wouldn't.

This is obviously not the only sound change Frisian and English or (English and Western Germanic languages for that matter) share northern germanics do not

Here's a list of sound changes unique to the Anglo Frisian language family straight from wikipedia:

Backing and nasalization of West Germanicaandābefore a nasal consonant

Loss ofnbefore a spirant, resulting inlengtheningandnasalizationof preceding vowel

The present and preterite plurals reduced to a single form

A-fronting: WGmca,ā→æ,ǣ, even in the diphthongsaiandau(seeAnglo-Frisian brightening)

palatalizationofProto-Germanic*kand*gbefore front vowels (but not phonemicization of palatals)

A-restoration:æ,ǣ→a,āunder the influence of neighboring consonants

Second fronting: OE dialects (exceptWest Saxon) and Frisianǣ→ē

A-restoration:arestored before a back vowel in the following syllable (later in theSouthumbriandialects); Frisianæu→au→ Old Frisianā/a

OE breaking; in West Saxon palatal diphthongization follows

i-mutation followed bysyncope; Old Frisian breaking follows

Phonemicization of palatals and assibilation, followed by second fronting in parts ofWest Mercia

Smoothing and back mutation

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Frisian_languages

I'll just translate those words.

Studie, universitet, respekteret, respektive, lingvistik
bogstavelig (litteral exists in the dictionary)
egentlige (this is the word we would use here, but "aktuel" is a word)
påstande, lige
troværdig (kredibel is a word)
kilder,
modbevise (refutere is a word)
sporgsmål, ignorere
handikappet (retarderet is a word)
chatte, intelligent

Oh shit Danish isn't even a Germanic language.

I am not acting like English is North Germanic, just for the record.

Vocabulary is irrelevant in language classification.

muh english creole is a retarded and gay meme

Ancient Finns of the Suomimperium didn't want to speak the tongue of their primitive slaves

Studie, universiteit, hooggeachte, onderscheidenlijke (respectievelijk is also a word(this construction is rarely used), letterlijke, eigenlijke, bewering, gelijke, geloofwaardige, bronnen, verwerpen, negeren, achterlijk, kletsen, slim

Dutch has lots of English/German/French/Dutch synonyms. So a lot of things can be said in a Germanic and a Romance way.

This guy is pretty much cheating with Germanic synonyms.

La Marca Danesa confirmed for absolutely not germanic

Confirmed for 100% pure volkisch

>Yet still went on to dominate the world from a small rainy island nation while little '""""pure"""""" meme languages never did

Meme languages btfo

>Dutch is spoken on North America, South America, Europe
>Africa has a language derived from Dutch
>Asia has languages that are largely influenced by Dutch with a ten thousand loanwords
>all native speakers

>American is spoken in the USA and Canada (sorry)

In all reality why is Dutch so irrelevant?

to study: plugga
a study: studie
respected: ansedd
respective: respektive
linguistics: lingvistik
literal: bokstavlig
actual: faktisk
claims (noun): krav
claims (verb): hävda
equally: lika
credible: trovärdig
sources: källor
refute: vederlägga
question: fråga
ignore: ignorera
retard: efterbliven
chat: snacka
intelligent: intelligent

like what?

stuff like brassiere

Besides the whole loan word thing, English is considered more Germanic than romance because they're closer to Germanic's culturally and ethnically.