>Really interesting concept
>Tension built well throughout the film
>Well acted antagonist who we learn as film progresses
>Satisfying conclusion

Then all of a sudden

>Random space worm fight
>Making Molotov Cocktails in midair to perfectly aim into an alien's mouth
>Deciding to go fight an alien invasion

Went from an 8/10 to 4/10 due to that shit, just WHY.

The tension would have been better too if the audience didn't know beforehand that he was totally telling the truth about what's going on at the surface, due to Cloverfield being in the title.

Thoughts?

Yes.

I agree.

I don't think there should have been any alien battle or anything. The ending of the movie should have been her escaping and getting to the surface and seeing everything totally fucking destroyed.

>JJ Abrams

There's your answer friend.

you have my exact same point

they should have done something more subtle, allowing the viewer made his own conclusions of what was going on outside
the ending could have been her getting out, and thats it. what happens next? up to you to believe

Producers do jack shit, though.

Should have ended with the shot of her looking at the UFO in the distance on top of her truck. Very ambiguous and leaves the audience to think about what happened on their own terms: surface looks fine, no deadly toxins in the air so what on earth is going on? Foriegn invasion? Alien invasion? Some kind of accident?

I must agree they could have shown a ship from the distance between the clouds just like in the final shot and be done with the alien card but they decided to go full retard.

The problem is then the main character doesn't have a complete arc - the ending with her deciding to join the fight is important in showing how she changed over the course of the movie: In the beginning, she was running away from her problems, and in the end she had changed into someone who faced them head-on.

I think the whole ending with the ALIENS N SPLOSIONS was dumb and unnecessarily, and that the very end with her choice was a bit hamfisted and trite, but the end absolutely needs something that shows this progression.

>dude the world should have been totally fine howard was just crazy lmao

Fuck you no fun allowed imagination-free twats

JJ Abrams is a dumb cunt. He has the abilty to make interesting stories but alwYs seems to fuck things up during the climax. I'm hoping episode 8 flops so hard after he said there will be a faggot character

>watches RLM
>thinks every movie needs a character arc

Fuck. Off. What was Travis Bickle's arc from Taxi Driver? I'll save you the time of having to go to blockbuster video and rent it and answer it for you: he didn't have one. Not every movie operates the same

I don't think that at all. This movie however DOES have an arc, and by changing the end to an ambiguous "you decide what happened" ending, you're fundamentally changing an important element of the story. What I'm saying is that you can change the ending to get rid of the pointless action sequence while still keeping every intended aspect of the storytelling the same - and you do that by putting in a substitute for the end of the arc that is already in the film.

Fight me irl

>Fuck you no fun allowed imagination-free twats

Literally didn't say that

I have a question: is anything specific to the original Cloverfield referenced before the ending escape scene? Or is it just like "there was an alien invasion"?

The movie was originally had nothing to do with the Cloverfield name. The script got swooped and it was added to it. The alien stuff was literally added on a complete movie just so it could have the name.

I can't remember the exact story, but the movie was suppose to end with her getting out of the bunker, but the company wanted a more satisfying ending for the normies

>more satisfying

lol

Why was she barefoot the whole movie and why did nobody ever mentioned that?

I find it weird that every thread created about this movie never gets past 30 replies.

I want to hug mew

Just finished watching it and I agree OP. The movie was amazing up until she got out of the bunker. She should have died but no, she kills an alien thing and then goes to fight more like an edgy badass. Also Goodman did nothing wrong

Except he probably kidnapped a high school girl and left her in his shelter before he needed it for the alien invasion.

>caring about pre-alien shit
Yea that's bad and all but he literally saved their lives and kept them safe.

I'd imagine he's changed since then and only thinks about surviving once the aliens came.

>taxi driver didn't have an arc

Pretty sure his arc is around the point where he stops deliberating over his social failings and misanthropic views in the form of internal monologues and decides to shave his head, buy a bunch of guns and start killing people.

I would have been fine with an alien ending, but not the way it was handled.

Like... just having that alien spaceship flying across the sky in one long, wide shot. The whole movie sort of feels like a weird, scary dream. Shifting to the alien invasion keeps that feeling, like you're still in some sort of nightmare. Dreams can suddenly shift topics just like that. The fight scene though with the molotov, and then wrapping up with an ending that made relative "sense", that was just too much.

Does anyone have the original script for the movie (AKA The Cellar)? It got deleted from the internet.

The last 20 minutes made the film memorable and unique though

yeah i wish it would have ended here

this p much

I guess you forgot about the part where Howard literally couldn't say woman and how he was trying to turn Michelle into his new personal waifu.

I actually liked the ending desu.

I don't mind ambiguity, but having it end like that feels a little cheap, like the movie's just playing with me. There's probably a better way of doing an ending along those lines without it looking like the end to an Outer Limits episode.

>waifu
more like daughterfu

the first half of super 8 was enjoyable.
I miss that Goonies / E.T. vibe

Super 8 kind of reminded me of The Explorers, another movie witch turns awful halfway through.

Fighting a war is different to running away from a boyfriend. You're either in alien territory which is obviously in search and destroy operations or you go to the humans. Seems pretty black or white choice.

When is the next Goodman review?

Would you complain if a qt was walking barefoot all the time? Especially if shes the only viable female for the next few years?

so who was the guy in the red hazmat suit?

did they ever explain it?

>What was Travis Bickle's arc from Taxi Driver?
Are you fucking kidding me?

I guess most of Sup Forums hasn't seen it. It's not capeshit and it can't really be derailed into Sup Forums stuff

I liked the movie. Though I will agree. The movie was set up to be something completely different. But throughout the movie there were hints of what was to come aside from the obvious title. John Goodman's character worked on satellites in the navy and not much else is known. Then he strangly builds a doomsday bunker and assumes aliens might be the cause for what's happening. I enjoyed it because it was different. Though to keep it more close to aliens instead of going full blast at the last few minutes they could of had alien infiltration of the bunker. That way John Goodman's character wasn't the bad guy but rather just a weird pervert.

>bold futura

whats that

>producers do jack shit

Mate....

It still doesn't beat Fury for me, though

>let's make a gritty war movie where the Americans aren't clear-cut good guys
>let's show a side of war that is rarely explored in detail
>LOL JUST KIDDING WATCH THIS IMMOBILIZED SHERMAN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD TAKE ON HUNDREDS OF LOBOTOMIZED NAZIS WITH ANTI TANK WEAPONS AT NIGHT

This has been bothering me. When she throws the molotov she's on the windshield of the car, but in the next shot she's back in the driver's seat. Did I miss something?

>they could of had alien infiltration of the bunker

I thought they were going in that direction when MEW had to enter the air duct.

the AT guns being forgotten about are retarded but the scene was inspired by a real life medal of honor recipient who did something similar

the name escapes me now though

Audie Murphy, bruh

Ha, I didn't even notice until you pointed it out, but that's the typeface.

It's set in Futura Bold.

that's the joke

Lmao

right, thank you

Goodmans character did nothing wrong

Someone should recut the ending so that MEW leaves the bunker, finds a vehicle and drives off, then as she is driving down the road at night i would still keep the wide shot of the lightning flash illuminating the alien corvette

>"This is one of the most realistic and authentic WW2 movies ever! They even use real tanks! hurr!"
>that scene where the Germans just keep doing human wave attacks at the tank
>nobody throws an AT grenade
>they only remember that they have Panzerfausts after 200 of them are already dead
>nobody manages to flank to the rear of the tank even though there's cover and vegetation all over the place
>even at night, they can't knock out the tank for good

Did they let a 5 year old write the final battle of that movie?

Everyone praises this fucking movie and conveniently doesn't say anything about the ending and how it's just a cheesy b movies with one liners. Whole theater was laughing when she went "Oh cmon" after seeing the alien thing drop. Also water bottle and bath curtains = anti alien gas shit. Let's make a molotov with wine and throw it at the alien lmao.

act 3 is just too contrived

>Hey man I was planning to steal your gun

Great excuse

Also the ending where she turns around with her car to fight is some Battle of L.A. bullshit. Reminder that she was just a normal girl but became fucking terminator with one liners before dumping a barrel of acid and shit.

just watched it. falls under my category of "it wasn't bad but I never want to watch it again"

Cause it was supposed to be a different movie, think Mario 2. The last part was not part of the original script and only added to create a connection to cloverfield.

how stupid does anyone have to be to have not expected alien stuff?

that's what made the film so enjoyable for me, the anticipation of the reveal at the end: we all knew it was coming but not how or when, and in the meantime we could enjoy the more human psychological thriller unfolding in the bunker

thematically works out as she was finally deciding to confront problems instead of running from them as she was in the first scene. resolution.

It was hyped and marketed like Cloverfield. Watching the trailer you already knew.

I liked the movie.

I was expecting that the "invasion" had something to do with the Cloverfield monster. The ending didn't feel cheap to me because I was expecting something fantastic (as in sci-fi).

The bait and switch title was somewhat of a let down. I was really hoping to see the Cloverfield "universe" expand. But the HOLY SHIT WTF IS HAPPENING scene at the end was still cool. Felt like I was watching Fringe.

Still fuck JJ for using the word Cloverfield. Also, Thug Life

How is she going to fight aliens with no weapons? It makes no sense.

not sure if baiting but it seemed evident she was joining some sort of already-developing resistance movement

It could have been done in a more subtle way fitting in with the rest of the film.

Not her turning into Ripley and fighting off alien worms and huge monsters

>Whole theater was laughing when she went "Oh cmon" after seeing the alien thing drop.
So was I.

Expecting anytihng out of Shitbrams

I can't read these threads, they make me so angry.

t. reddit

Full blown tank action with shermans/allied vehicles against panthers or even panzer 4s would have been great, that tiger battle was really good just to shit the bed at the end.

They really draged the alien part a lot.
Should've ended with her leaving the bunker, it exploding, and a flying alien ship passing by, then roll credits. Just show was that Goodman was right all along and be done with it.

Fucking EVERY thread about 10 Cloverfield talks about the ending being shitty.

I personally don't think people got what the movie was trying to say with it, but that's just me

garbage movie didn't even have the real cloverfield monster in it