We had a good thread last time, let's see how it goes again

Discuss:Saddest moment?
>T-rex babies get orphaned
>big Al
>Indrocithere mom scares her baby away
>Pterosaur bro getting cucked to death
>the fact that we will probably never get another good season/series

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1379624404/saurian-an-open-world-dinosaur-survival-experience?lang=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>>big Al
Incredibly sad one.

Also from Big Al:
>when the toy Al is eaten by a crocodyle :(

gone but not forgotten

Not even three minutes in and the feels are in full swing

before anyone spreads misinformation, only 43 species of dinosaurs are known to have had feathers

somehow I think that a sauropod like diplodocus would look rather stupid when covered in a wall of feathery fluff

hehe why would they need feathers if it was hot as balls?
check m8 paleontologists

to look hotter for the girls, just like peacocks

also don't mind my filename dumping

OP from last thread. It was pretty gud I think

feels: the episode

Was my least favorite episode when I was a child but then I finally got it ;_;
Also fuck, I think I still have VHS with all the dinosaurs and beasts. Truly great to see a thread about it on Sup Forums

>We will never have a new episode of Walking With Dinosaurs

i havent seen this since like 2 years after it initially aired; why was he the only one who didnt get it in/? made me mad
why not/?

Bump

they tried with walking with monsters
It didn't work. Too much CGI I think, coupled with less personalized stories. Really the only highlight is one short with a Dimetridon mother, but that's really because she was the main focus. Many other creatures of focus were literally who's, which is sad considering some creatures in wwd and wwb even had names to attach to them

Where I can watch a good quality Walking with beasts?

They made that shit movie with the added voices and it was a flop. I guess studios think kids are too dumb to understand dinosaurs unless they make poop jokes.
It's a fucking shame since Walking With Dinosaurs was hugely popular with kids and it was just puppets, CG and a narrator.

dailymotion has the whole series, but the ads are a chore and the sound has a distinct lag

literally a worse disney's dinosaur. Fuck that movie, it never happened

that was OK/10. Littered with unnecessary human-cuts, but had cool dino-science at least

oh god

I forgot about that yikes

I literally haven't watched this since I was 6 years old, holy fuck the nostalgia and the feels...

Anyone else was dissapointed when they found out how much smaller Liopleurodon was in actuality?

>wwm made a poop joke
>"Dung is one thing a Dimetrodon cannot stomach"
How Keneth must've felt when he read that line is one of the great mysteries of life

I still wouldn't want to take a dip with one. 7 meters is still a pretty big carnivore

I forgot pic related. You could get lower if you tried, but thank god that's about the worst the commentary gets

What is objectively the best single episode throughout the three main series. My vote have to go to Spirts of the ice forest.

>have

Auto correct has forsaken me

Time of the Titans, my nig.

First time in this threads. Have you alrdy discussed how they fucked up leoplevrodon in the show?

Fucked or improved?

All theropods from as early as the Jurassic period (with the possible exception of some extremely geographically isolated species such as four fingered theropods like carnotaurus) can be extrapolated to have had feathers based on the species their ancestors and close cousins being known to have had them.
It's currently unknown if sauropods had them but if they did it was probably something similar to the picofiberes that pterosaurs had.
Feathers actually can help cool animals this is the reason that tropical and desert dwelling birds have them.

>Plays out like the gorgonopsid is in trouble
>pic related snaps at it
>quickly lets go when it realizes what it grabbed
Ok I chuckled

yeh. Still, he's a pretty powerful force in his screen time even with the exaggeration

Watching Walking With makes me want to kill myself now because of the inaccuracies

>That'sAPenisMan.gif
Now I REALLY want to know where this was shot

>be kid
>see liopleurodon fuck shit up
>become adult
>realise that section was complete bullshit

Can we just avoid the feathers thing and have an awesome dinosaur thread anons?

>T-rex babies get orphaned
This isn't sad because they got orphaned, it's sad because every dinosaur documentary ends with the meteor crashing down right on top of tyrannosaurs.

Also, please forgive me for shilling Saurian, but it looks fuckin sick kickstarter.com/projects/1379624404/saurian-an-open-world-dinosaur-survival-experience?lang=en

I know that feel. We had fucking boss dino, that beats blue whale in size and weight, and now he's gone.

oh? what was bullshit about it? i loved the lieupleurodon part

They said it was about 25 meters long when in reality it grew to about 7. By no means a tiddler, but still quite a difference

They put the liopleurodon more than twice its actual size, and at least 20 feet longer than any other mosasaur, pliosaur or tylosaur.

>Dino
It's a reptile REEEEEEEEE

ah shit
reminds me of how spinosaur was discovered to be not bipedal

i liked the mesothelae looking for a burrow and something as unorthodox as a huge fucking spider being the hero character but it was basically pseudoscience because no giant spider ever existed

Land of Giants in Oligocene Mongolia is pretty goat. The first episodes of both series are also p. good because they're so hype. Ocean episodes were also p good.

First episode was the best

Fuck I remember this.
It looked pretty realistic given how long ago it was made desu

sauce?

I love you for this thread guys.

I haven't seen it for ages, still got the vhs tho

>tfw I remember the scene I made when visiting some parents friends we missed last episode of dinosaurs when it was aired at tv
>tfw stylish wooden crate with walking with beasts vhs was best birthday present ever
>tfw I'm lawyer instead of paleontologist

WWD ranking:

Time of the Titans
Giant of the Skies
New Blood
Spirit of the Ice Forest
Cruel Sea
Death of a Dynasty

WWB ranking:

Land of Giants
New Dawn
Mammoth Journey
Whale Killer
Sabre Tooth
Next of Kin

WWC ranking:

Blood Brothers
A Savage Family
First Ancestors
The Survivors

WWM ranking:

Clash of Titans
Reptile's Beginnings
Water Dwellers

>mfw parents got me walking with beasts hardback companion book packed with gorgeous photographs and genuine scientific information for christmas 2001

What is wwc? I think I missed it

how big did they say he was? I was under the impression he was about 10 metres long or some shit but it could have just been relative to everything else it was eating. 6 metres is still great white shark sized.

Cavemen, basically all about primitive humans. I actually didn't see it when I was a kid, but got one of the massive books mentioned on it, so I didn't miss out too much

Which one

I actually met Tim Haines in like October 2007. I was about 15 at the time. It was when he was working on Primeval and the daughter of one of the dudes he worked on it with (I think Adrian Hodges) had a daughter at my little sister's school. The school was having some careers day thing where parents of all the kids would come in and have little stalls explaining their careers to the kids, and Tim Haines had come along to help out his friend/co-worker and get the kids hyped about Primeval and dinosaurs and whatever.
I was helping out my mum and dad with their stall (they worked in advertising but had retired) and then i somehow found out the guy that created Walking with Dinosaurs, basically my childhood passion, was there. My mum had known about it and actually brought along some of the sketchbooks and journals I had filled with dinosaur drawings when I was between the ages of 6 and 9, along with my other sketchbooks which had actual illustration of animals and whatnot in them. I spoke to Tim and told him how much WWD had gotten me into palaeontology and zoology and biology as well as illustration and I showed him the sketchbooks from when I was a kid and also some of the artwork I'd done recently. He seemed genuinely touched to see how much his work had inspired me, even if I was some teenager hanging out at a school careers day.

Was p cool.

anyone remember that part where it was winter and these small dinos were eaten by this big tadpole looking creature? anyone remember it's name>(tadpole one)

koolasuchus nigga

for some reason modern scholars tend to assume that just because yuturannus had feathers that somehow means every single tyrannisauridae did.

fucking t.rex did not have them, cunts.

>nigga
thanks mang

Cavemen was pretty cool, it deviated from the main trilogy in that Kenneth Branagh didn't narrate and instead based Robert Winston acted as a physical presenter, but supposedly he was travelling back in time and encountering the hominids himself. Some goofy comedy moments where they stole his biscuits or whatever. Some of the prosthetics/make up were fucking great, even if a bit inaccurate.

Poor bastard

we can, m8

>No thrinaxodons made to eat their babbys

RIP lonely bastard ;___;

Nice story user, should have got his autograph.

Why the hell, why do they have to make everything so dumb, do they want kids to grow up dumb? Or do they just want to cater wider audience? I don't think it worked

What the hell happened with science/nature documentaries anyway?

I remember discovery channel having interesting stuff, but then Mythbusters and dozen similar pulp-documentary suddenly took the whole station over.

Or is it nostalgia?

yeh i did he signed my sketchbook

Attenborough still makes pretty good stuff to this day, despite being in his 90s

The only good nature documentaries being made have David Attenborough as narrator. All the BBC Earth series is excellent, as well as Life which is even more recent.
As to why it's all gone down hill is now every network has to compete with instant gratification from the internet. The way they see it the internet will kill them and so the only response is to make everything EXXXTRRREEEME

discovery channel/etc get shitty more and more

New blood

Is no one going to talk about the Sea Monsters spinoff with Nigel Marven? Seriously that Megalodon was fucking nightmare fuel!

Yeah Attenborough is good.

They used to air BBC Earth on Sundays here, always watched it with my mom when visiting

>Jaws BTFO
As inaccurate at wwd was, this spinoff did get Megalodon right. And it's about as terrifying as it looks

Thankyou for this thread OP.

Yes, I enjoyed this. Good show format by breaking it into the different periods depending on the dangers and Nigel's acting wasnt too bad. Really well done for its time.

I always preferred the sea segments in WWD/B must of stemmed from my love of the Blue Planet, which is another GOAT documentary series.

British documentary
>Here, in the jungles of Bhata-Tuthu, the praying mantis is in search of its prey
>3 minutes of very clean and uninterrupted footage of the pray mantis following a spider

American documentary
>guitar riff playing in the background
>YOU PROBABLY WOULDN'T WANT ONE OF THESE KILLERS IN YOUR BACK YARD
>Rapid jump cuts of the praying mantis
>THE PRAYING MANTIS MIGHT LOOK LIKE A BUG IN CHURCH, BUT THIS NASTY MOTHER-SUCKER IS NOT TO BE MESSED WITH
>more flashy jump cuts
>THIS LITTLE SPIDER DOESNT KNOW WHATS WAITING FOR HIM, THE FURY OF THE MANTIS IS NOT TO BE UNDERESTIMATED
>more flashy jump cuts
>the mantis strikes
>strange animal growling and screeching noises are dubbed in as it attacks because silent footage is too boring for americans
>slow mo replay of the attack in black and white
>AND IT'S OVER IN A FLASH
>THAT LITTLE SPIDER
>SHOULD'VE PRAYED
>TO THE MANTIS
>Starwipe to the next clip

I get that Americans don't do subtlety, but why is it that their documentaries are edited for people who seem to have fucking ADHD?

thumbs up if you also bought the book xD

I had the Evidence book with all their scientific research.

Got this + the beasts one.

Its sad they didn't actually make a new one of these i remember the hype when this first came out, my parents used to record it for me and I'd watch it on the weekend on a Saturday morning while it was airing.

The OST for these was fantastic as well.
Grand, but also chilling at times.

what did Sup Forums think of the film version starring John Leguizamo and Justin Long?

Still got it nigga

Can you post some of the best pictures that weren't in the show. You's be helping a homie out

I would do but I'm just about to go to bed, are there not scans floating around the internet?

>the Postosuchus sprays precious water on the ground
What did he mean by this?

Is this still on Netflix?
I remember they had all of them on there for years.

We don't talk about that one.

It's ancestors did as did all of it's closest evolutionary cousins.
It had feathers mate.

Saw at least few episodes as a kid, remember it being quite good.

Would a lot of information on that show be really outdated if I were to go and rewatch some episodes?

I've been here too long. I thought this was about to be a rendition of the Ryan Gosling pasta

I thought the same

>tfw no qt Australopithecus gf

>tfw my mom used to read this book to me before bed
>tfw she ded

I was about to ask if she was the t-rex, but this thread is too comfy for that.

What happened user?

Ehh, it was cancer. I don't want to think about it.

Seeing that book in the pictures really gives me feels, I must find my copy. It was in Finnish and was the first book I read myself too :) Mom probably read it to me multiple times... Of course this was long ago, I'm a grown man now but still a dino kid.

Sorry to hear that user.

How is walking with dinosaurs in fingolian?

It was very professionally made as I recall, the series and the book. Spirits of the Ice Forest definitely my favourite, it had such an alien atmosphere somehow.