/who/ - Doctor Who General

The Leisure Hive edition

It's Season 18! It's JNT! It's... a lot of standing around. What does /who/ think of this drastic shift in tone?

Previously on /who/ -

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
mega.nz/#F!RVVjAY4B!WXcvcfd3xw4_FBN85ceS_w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

JUST

How would you rate the Williams era as a whole, /who/?

Not as good as Hinchcliffe's, indubitably but how does it compare to JNT?

Depends, does Cartmel count as part of JNT?

As far as I'm aware JNT was producer right up until the show was canned, so yeah I guess.

Maybe you could treat them separately since there was a surge in quality towards the end

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

Just finished RTD's Midsummer Night's Dream.

+
* It was alright, the main plot of the play was done reasonably well barring a few dumb bits. I laughed. In fact I even enjoyed some of RTD's gay additions.
* No complaints about the cast, they all acquitted themselves quite nicely.
* I've never seen the Pyramus & Thisbe performance done with a sinister undercurrent before, it added some tension to an otherwise notoriously boring part of the play.
* Visually it wasn't as bad as the trailer made it look. Still a bit uglier than your average post-2010 Doctor Who episode, but broadly fine.

-
* It completely fell apart in the last 10 minutes. It seemed like it was going somewhere with Theseus planning to off the players, and I thought perhaps there might be some big finale where the fairies came in and overthrew him or something. Instead...what was that, a heart attack? And no-one even goes off to check on him? Was the iPad bloke in on it? Was he poisoned? Did Hippolyta know about it? Help me out here Russell. (And trying to spin his death as an emotional moment by overlaying it with Thisbe's lament and soppy music made no fucking sense given he was set up as the most evil bastard.) Then the fairies just waltz in and redecorate the place and no-one cares because fuck let's dance! So with that total dramaturgical collapse, we're left watching people dance for absolutely ages while not quite knowing what to make of it.
* Dumb bits - no idea what the fuck was going on with that cliff scene. Felt like he went "we need some action to liven this bit up!" and forgot to make it make sense.
* Murray Gold in thunderously obnoxious mode. It staggers me that the same man who scored Heaven Sent could put something this uninspired out within barely 6 months. The generic "choral shouting aaaargh!!!" made me feel like I'd been dumped straight back in the Tennant era, and everything else was either fluff or distracting. (The sound mixing was dodgy at times too.)

6/10

I heard that if the critical reception is good enough the BBC plans to backstab Chibnall and bring RTD back mid-season (They're going to frame Chibnall for some sort of scandal, possibly murder, so that he is forced to step down and BBC saves face)

I'd say it was as good as Hinchcliffe desu. funny Who > scary Who

But Hinchcliffe era stories are funny as well, on top of actually being competent.

Could we make something like the chart at the bottom of this for the /who/ ranks Who poll? It would give a good sense how the different eras stack up.

How do you even make it?

I dunno, but you can probably do it in MS Excel. It would just be really time-consuming to enter all the data.

Too much work for me desu

Fuck it, I'm doing it.

Well the data was collected through google's software, I imagine the person who collected the data could export it into a variety of different formats. No need to manually add everything into a spreadsheet.

I just looked it up, google analytics lets you export data to excel. Not sure if anyone can do it or just the owner, does anybody have a link to the original results?

>It completely fell apart in the last 10 minutes.
Classic RTD

Why didn't the doctor just regenerate after being fucked by the confession boogieman in Heaven Sent? If he did he could have had a larger amount of time to hit the super diamond wall and still be able to go and bring a copy from the teleport machine and possibly survive.

Doesn't it say he's too fucked to regenerate?

>Matt Smith above Tennant
y tho?

y not?

The episode tells you that the veil creature had the ability to fatally injured him so he couldn't regenerate.

Oh alright thank you I didn't notice that.

Yeah, he was explaining why Time Lords take longer to die. Something like "Even if the body is too injured to regenerate every cell keeps trying.".

>Hinchcliffe era stories are funny as well,
A bit, I guess. So is most of the show, but certainly not Douglas Adams funny.

>on top of actually being competent.
Low budget =/= incompetent. Williams era had
>better humor
>better companions (Sarah Plain Smith vs Romana and Tin Doggo)
>plotlines that weren't 100% ripped off from old horror movies
>did horror just as good as Hinchcliffe in Horror of Fang Rock just to prove it could before moving on to do its own thing

>A bit, I guess. So is most of the show, but certainly not Douglas Adams funny.

Plus everyone forgets the Williams era gave us Sun Makers, which is just Robert Holmes in full troll mode.

You have been visited by the curly-haired man of outer space.

Maroon coats and question marks will come to you, but only if you post "Thanks, Tommy boy" in this thread.

Bad stories, for the most part. A few jokes don't change that, and the criminally low production values definitely don't help. If you take out the ones that feel like Hinchcliffe's warmed leftovers (Fang Rock and Fendahl) and the three that Adams wrote himself (one of which wasn't even completed) you're left with maybe three or four stories that I like.
Better than JNT at his worst, but not as good as JNT at his best.

The Key To Time season was enjoyable but the others are full of bad/mediocre stories and worse than the Hinchcliffe seasons.

Thanks, Tommy boy

Look /who/'s dead once again.

Thanks tommy boy

A bit weird that the Doctor and Romana decide to help the aliens improve their technology using their superior Time Lord knowledge. Isn't that one of those things you're supposed to not do?

Thanks, Tommy boy

Reminder that I'm unusually fond of this fake Chibnall-era logo

it looks poo poo though

I like it.

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I preferred the tone of series 18 to the campery of the Adams era.

I never knew it was RTD. I thought you guys were just memeing it because of the shit effects.

desu it's no better or worse than the current and previous logos.

Yeah, especially if it's a rough proof of concept or something. I know it's fake... just sayin'

It has genuinely zero effort put into it. Literally just 'type these two words with a font someone else made'

What do you look like /who/? pic related is me

>filename
kek

what does you having an identity add to the conversation? Why should anybody care who you are?

Those posts are 9 hours old m8.

Yeah. Looks good though.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it looks good but it does look marginally less shit than the current one.

>Looks good though.

To someone with no standards or respect for design work perhaps

>implying the current one looks shit

Maybe not good, but it has me intrigued.

If it was the finished version than yeah, it'd be a bit too unprofessional. But it has potential.

I wonder where it's from. Do you think a /who/ person whipped it together for a laugh?

I'm not implying it. I am outright stating it.

Is the current logo still the DW one?

'marginally less shit' doesn't inherently state that the original object is shit, just that the latter object is less shit

you were implying, not stating

Okay well now I am stating it. The current Dr Who logo looks fucking shit. Also phuck off m e l user.

I should warn you, /who/. I'm probably going to post that fake logo every thread.

why? nobody would fall for it, it's not even twitter leak worthy

You should use it as the OP pic when the time comes to make a new thread. I'm sure it'll Russell some Davies.

Which /who/ character is literally you?

Adric.

Godspeed user.

I'm not trying to trick anyone. I know it's fake. I'm just weirdly attracted to it.

I guess it'd be someone like Sabalom Glitz.

>I'm just weirdly attracted to it.
You should do a cock tribute and post that.

That would be very funny. Thank you.

Pigbin Josh.

Same

The Master. He's cunning, evil, never stays dead and has wicked sense of humor. CAN YOU HEAR THE KNOCKING?!?! *bangs on head* lol

The way this sentence reads is very interesting. At the start I thought it was sincere and then at end I knew it wasn't, and the middle was just this beautiful gradient that transitioned between the two states.

We are all WhizzKids here.

what is wrong with you?

This episode.. Scooby Doo ass hippies

I just think it's neat.

Fuck off faggot boy

Who is Hinchcliffe Desu?

Because the story was shite

Shittest bait ever kiddo.

That post is 8 hours old.

don't post here again, thanks. or at least limit it to one a day.

Fuck off you angry little mong.

It's half term again isn't it?

I just got out bed. Do you understand the concept of a spherical planet with different day/night cycles, fuckbrain?

My aren't you the argumentative one. Maybe you should go back to bed.

>My
Homosexual retard detected.

Grow up.

Oh my! What a silly goose!

Unfortunately, I fucked your mother so hard she shit the bed, so we had to get up for a wash.

This person is really weird and embarrassing.

>he says, on Sup Forums, where saying peepee poopoo cucky kekky neckbeard martha teeth fady cock oooh! silly goose sonic up the arse! is considered entertaining and clever and repeated every single day by mongolians with profound learning disablities and the personality of a rancid, pus-filled turd, hurled into the face

>tfw someone on /who/ posted the epubs for three faction paradox books missing from the mega
>tfw no one alerted me uwu
Added now. Also recently got Miles' short story "Grass."

mega.nz/#F!RVVjAY4B!WXcvcfd3xw4_FBN85ceS_w

THE DOCTOR WILL RETURN
WITH THE DOCTOR
IN COOL CHRISTMAS

I hope the twitter plebs fall for this

>IN COOL CHRISTMAS
You couldn't come up with a better name?

>pony shirt of 11th doctor

brony scum shouldn't be allowed on this board

Oi matey that (You) isn't for me, see

Is this a man or a woman?