Cell phones have almost ruined film. Discuss

Cell phones have almost ruined film. Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XIZVcRccCx0
youtube.com/watch?v=WzuMwNmH9Vo&t=1m9s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cellphones HAVE ruined everything. You can't even walk down the street without some faggot capturing you onto their instafacebook. Pray for an apocalypse.

Edgy

Kek what a fag

phonebooths used to be bad for film. every film pre-2010 had phonebooth scenes that had taken up at least 50% of it's runtime. Thank god for cellphones

no, just technology in general, you mean as a storytelling device right?

um. just set the movie in the 90s or earlier?

problem solved.

How long until the use of a cell phone in film makes a movie look dated?

>catch Superbad on t.v.
>flip phones in the first conversation of the movie (and throughout) immediately remind me that this was shot in mid 2000's
I never thought I'd feel nostalgic about that time period in the slightest

Preaching to the choir. I hated all that telephone booth time in Apocalypse Now.
CHARLIE DON'T MAKE PHONE CALLS

youtu.be/XIZVcRccCx0

Every horror movie since 1996 has had to have a scene like this.

>You now realize the real problem is bad writers who can't adapt their minds to the realities of modern inter-connectivity.

>srsly using your normiephone outside

Upvoted

Chill out nekbear

True, you can't even have sex in the open without the fear of some bastard recording you.

Somebody should make a movie where they just don't have cell phones, see if anybody complains.

Texting ruined film.
>jarring cut to the phone screen and back
Or even worse
>magical floating letters appear over the phone

>dammit why didn't I think of using my phone
>can't get a signal/connection
>the battery's done
>it broke
>someone stole it
>I must've dropped/forgot it somewhere
>nobody's answering
>they didn't believe me
>even if I message them they won't get here in time
>google doesn't know the answer
>the picture I took is too dark and blurry

Alternatively, cellphones are TOO useful and they are used against the protagonists.

I can't stand scenes with floating bubbles of text, that's usually an indicator of a shitty movie, it works sometimes in House of Cards.

youtube.com/watch?v=WzuMwNmH9Vo&t=1m9s

They're certainly not as cinematic. If a film is set in the modern day, mobile phones, or the implication that one could just use a mobile phone, kills tension. And of course if a writer tries to eliminate the opportunity of mobile phones, it's with a contrived cut to a "no service" symbol which takes us out of the movie a little bit. They're also boring - watching two characters on mobile phones isn't interesting to look at.

What will happen to cinema when technology has eliminated all inconvenience and tension from daily life?

A return to period movies probably. As technology continues to get more invasive, it'll get harder to write about for the screen.

no, phonebooth scenes are comfy as fuck

>phonebooth scene
character is speaking nervously, experiencing claustrophobia

>cellphone scene
hot wimmyn texting while relaxing in her underwear on a double bed

phonebooth's so comfy lad wew