What movie marked the beginning of the end for Depp's career and why?

What movie marked the beginning of the end for Depp's career and why?

21 Jump Street

Alice in Wonderland. That was the point where everyone started wising up and realized he was Burton's bitchboy.

Edward Scissorhands

his career is fine though

Not according to MSNBC. Oddly though, they did not blame it on global warming. Yet.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After that film, he has only made three films worth giving a shit about. Sweeny Todd, Rango and Black Mass. He's always been in shitty films though, he just managed to balance them out with great ones.

Pirates 1.

Because beyond that point, he was locked in as a meme actor. The guy you called to play an eccentric weirdo that's physically attractive enough to be a co-lead.

He was just a good actor before that. Ed Wood is my favorite Burton film and coincidentally my favorite Depp film. He does a great job playing a person - acting - just as he did in Fear and Loathing.

Johnny became a shell of his reputation. A quirky actor playing a quirky character acting like a quirky character.

Secret Window

I just want him to reach the same kind of mass that marlon brando did

this

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a sign of things to come, but people were willing to overlook it as a fluke the moment Sweeney Todd came out and he got his first Oscar nom.

Then Alice in Wonderland came out and that was the beginning of the end for his career.

>Ed Wood is my favorite Burton film and coincidentally my favorite Depp film.

Nice. Personally 'The Ninth Gate' will always be my favourite of his. Not even for his performance necessarily - which was decent enough, he really seemed to fit the tone - but rather the atmosphere of it. It's by no means a perfect film but it's definitely one of my go to comfy films to watch.

Also as a /lit/ tourist I'd advise user to avoid reading the book it's based off. Flat and tedious.

pirates

He's fine. Hell, if anything, with Amber "Bloodsucker" Heard no longer pushing heroin on him, he might actually get clean and start acting again for a paycheck.

She's a pretty girl, but fuck is that bitch a vampire.

>Its somehow one of the most profitable movies ever
>Literally hot topic the movie

I hate Tim Burton. He's like 60 years old at this point and is trying to be a 2006 scene girl at heart.

kek. was going to say this exact movie and something similar. the quirky style of him plus tim burton was no longer a mystery from this point on. somehow this movie make it finally click to people that they were a gimmick.

this

I can tell you what ended it

By the time Pirates 5 rolls around he will have adJUSTed himself back to fit, handsome and happy and the movie will be a huge success.

screencap this. Amber Whored will not break him

Also check em

he was alright in black mass
but fucking benedict cumberbatch was his brother, jesus fucking chirst

Secret Window

Dark Shadows

being alright in black mass doesn't matter when the movie is godawful and boring beyond boring.

that was pretty fucking boring and you could not think the character was anything else but Depp with layers of make up padding and blue contacts
it was impossible to suspend disbelief

>from this point on
It's been annoying ever since corpse bride. Burton is a one trick pony and Depp was the last one to mind.

I love that fucking movie. Just a low key suspense mystery with a good twist and the best last line in a movie.

THANK YOU BASED DEPP FOR GIVING US THE NINTH GATE

He was actually really good in black mass

I like the movie where he plays a socially awkward retard and falls in love with another retard

Why are people so #madatmort?

Edward Scissorhands. Bee downhill ever since.

O don't k ow why but I fucking loved ninth gate
What did make the movie so good? I never found out what was the trick behind that movie

pirates

The Lone Ranger

Edward Scissorhands

His first "le quirky" character that he became known for.

Pirates, frankly. Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt and say Pirates 2, but that was definitely the point where he was taking work just because the money was good.

Worst part of Ninth Gate was the yammering by the bad guy at the end. Just a mash of completely unrealistic dialogue the pulls you right out.

Pirates 4

The Tourist.

It made people realize just how bloated, lifeless and boring he's become. All that charisma and rockstar sex appeal - gone.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

>Sweeney Todd
>first Oscar nom
That was his third Oscar nom, user.

this

Dark Shadows isn't that bad.

Alice in Blunderland sealed the deal, but Pirates was probably the start of it, as good as Pirates 1 is.