Spotlight

I finally got around to watching this, and I got what I expected, a generic liberal film trashing the church. I didn't see all the other nominees for best picture, but this certainly didn't cut it.

I'm not saying this isn't an important issue to discuss, however it could have been handled much better. My biggest gripe is that priests were being presented as manifestations of God to the children and families affected by their crimes. It failed to make a distinction between God and what is a fallible institution of man.

Along with it's heavy handedness, literally having a children's choir singing silent night juxtaposed with various characters diligently working, as Mark Ruffalo looks on protectively, this movie is pretty generic.

What are Sup Forums's thoughts? Did you like it, dislike it?

Was Sup Forums molested by a priest?

I only got one response blaming it on the Jews earlier so I made a new thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jjPQ_jVlEnQ
scotsman.com/lifestyle/from-faith-to-despair-1-610243#ixzz4AGUnWbGJ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutton_Gibson
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedevacantism
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Worst Oscar winner since Crash
Most forgotten oscar winner since Argo

Oscars sucks.

>Most forgotten oscar winner since Argo

But Argo was actually good.

>legitimate Sup Forums discussion on a Sup Forums board.

No thank you.

t. summer holidays

Seriously though, will not see this tbqh. It would just be agonizing I suspect.

Steve Jobs should have won and it wasn't even nominated.
Brooklyn and Fury Road were the best nominated films. The Revenant winning wouldn't have been terrible either.

My head teacher went to a lake with a bottle of whiskey, a knife and an over dose of insulin drugs to kill himself after getting caught with CP on his computer.

Was always really nice to me.

>I got what I expected

Shocker.

>legitimate Sup Forums discussion

Yeah, been trying to get this going.

You won't miss much really, the film doesn't look good either, it's filmed and looks like a 2 hour version of Jake Gyllenhaal's office scenes in Zodiac.

>generic liberal film trashing the church
Well, the church could evade a lot of that trashing if it didn't rape children.

Are you implying something user, please elaborate, I would love to have a discussion beyond you passive aggressively implying I have confirmation bias.

I just find the movie ironic as hell given Hollywood's saturation with pedophiles.

>Steve Jobs should have won and it wasn't even nominated.
What, the circlejerky version of Pirates of the Silicon Valley? What exactly did it exceeded at other than taking Jobs' dead cock all the way to its throat?

>it's ok to make shitty movies if the subject matter is serious

I said in my OP that the subject is important and deserves to be handled better.

Didn't even see it, it felt like that was the 3rd Steve Jobs movie to come out, since he croaked.

Bump, I just want to have a good discussion!

REEEEEEEEE

I just want to talk to someone about a movie I didn't like, is this to much to ask for?

>only liberals expose pedos!
How does this have anything to do with political bias? Aren't liberals supposed to be more pedo-friendly than conservatives? A true Christian should be rightfully pissed off at the Church for letting this happen to kids. The film did make the distinction between the men involved and the religious faith. It showed the effects on the victims' faith, on city folks' faith, multiple scenes insist on the positive side of the Church, it showed other institutions were complicit or how most people were hypocritical or in denial about the events, it showed the new boss was a Jew.... it did a lot of subtle things without telling the viewer what to think. I don't think you've seen the film properly and are just projecting your own delusions onto it.

It's not a film's responsibility to pander to your beliefs or present your side on an issue as the right side.

Literally nothing OP has said in this thread comes close to legitimate film criticism and it's a complete waste of time even try to argue. I know we'll never get /film/ but for some reason I hold out hope for a usable board where people like OP will get laughed out.

Ok faggots, thanks for chiming in, you are both arrogant cunts, but I will gladly lower myself to your pathetic level to have a have decent conversation, instead of implying I'm some kind of right wing nut job, how bout y'all put forth a little disquisition to show how the film did a good job.

How about you fuck off back to where you came from you plebby fuckwit?

The reason no one is responding to your thread is you're a complete dumbass. Bump it all day and night

you're on Sup Forums

only game of thrones, capeshit, capeshit, and waifu thread here m8

but really I haven't seen this movie and I won't watch outright marxist propaganda.

Just a side note though, it's funny how the vast majority of the sexual abuse was toward pubescent males. The definition of paedophilia is attraction pre-pubescent children. These boys were not necessarily raped by paedophiles by definition, but by faggots. Sodomy of young "men" on a massive scale by homosexuals is an issue that is conveniently sidestepped by calling them paedophiles, giving you an image of a truly evil and deranged child rapist.

Yes this demographic of victims were very young and it was an awful thing, but call it what it is. It was faggots being faggots. It was exposed in the Catholic church. It's being rumored in Hollywood. It takes place in Jewish cultures. We all know about Islamic "boy love". It is in fact the default state of the faggot mind, and is taking place right now across the world, and is even celebrated and applauded, as is the case with my attached picture.

TL:DR

-

skip to 16:20

youtube.com/watch?v=jjPQ_jVlEnQ

Got anything besides insults you dirty little pinko?

Yeah but forgetful

Thanks for your response matey, but your preaching to the choir, as based Nixon said, the Greeks fell because they were homos.

Expect these incidents have everything to do with the church being liberal since Vatican II.
But liberals won't ever analyze it this way.

The more the church become liberal in terms of dogma, and pastoral inclinations, the more this can happen.

It barely happens at all in traditional catholic churches.

OP here, personally I think the problem is able to be so pervasive because the church as an institution has become so large. It's like big government, the larger it becomes, the less accountability there is, this is a big problem with the catholic church, which is why I, although I was raised catholic support the schism, as it keeps things much more localized and smaller.

South America is a good example of what you get if the Catholic church has a monopoly on Christianity.

I don't really have anything to add regarding the movie but here's a bump.

>Was Sup Forums molested by a priest?

I was never baptised although my father was, and I went to Catholic primary and secondary school. The only times I went to Church were with the schools.

I've only ever known one priest. He was loved by everyone. He hung himself in 2002. I would have been 12 years old then, and our teacher who was crying told us one morning before class that he had gone to heaven. I think some parents had to come in to console the younger children. This of course was at the height of this scandal so even though I didn't know at the time I guess there must have been some suspicion amongst the adults. There's no way though, not a man as loving and as friendly as I remember him.

scotsman.com/lifestyle/from-faith-to-despair-1-610243#ixzz4AGUnWbGJ

>In his suicide note, he asked for forgiveness, prayers and understanding, and he assured his loved ones that there was no scandal. But he talked about the strain he was under and said he felt burnt-out.

Pic related, church where he killed himself. I think he hung himself from the Church rafters. Plus he's Catholic so I guess he went to hell right? That's pretty fucking metal desu senpai.

>1962+54
>Not going full Mel Gibson's dad tier

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutton_Gibson
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedevacantism

Jeez user, that's pretty sad, I hope the guy dindu nuffin.

Interesting, I'll have to look into it, not surprised based Gibson has based genes.

>My biggest gripe is that priests were being presented as manifestations of God to the children and families affected by their crimes.
No they weren't, the priests presented themselves as infallible, trustworthy authority figures that the victims shouldn't question and put all faith in.
It's similar to God, but it wasn't the same thing.
That being said, shouldn't have won best picture, Fury Road should have by far.

>the priests presented themselves as infallible

There wasn't even a priest in the movie besides the pedo, and the guy who was preaching in one scene, the victims, literally said that the priests were like God, that why I said that.

Exactly, simile =/= manifestation.
'Like' God, not 'are' or 'were' God.

>The more the church become liberal in terms of dogma, and pastoral inclinations, the more this can happen.
lol more likely it's always been happening but people were too scared to say anything before when going against the Church always meant social suicide

That's a small difference and doesn't distract from my point, it's liberal propaganda trying to demonize God.

>the film literally named the Jew
They were trying to tell you OP.
Catholic priests have the same molestation rates as school teachers, yet you don't see that in all the papers

>Along with it's heavy handedness

I know this is pasta-bait but ... this is the very least heavy handed film that deals with child molestation that has ever been made, desu.

OP is a faggot.

Lmao, you paranoid little cuck.
The movie was based on a true story, and the theme was questioning/going against authority even if everyone is telling you you shouldn't, not that 'God is evil', that's just fucking stupid.

Not in the same proportions.

Liberality is the cause. The more the dogma is strict and anti-secular, the more you can actually have priests who believe in chastity and other strict moral principles.
When it's all relative though, and the priests are influenced by secularism, this has more chances of happening, just like in ANY structure that deals with children. The church isn't worse than the educational system. In France there was some huge cover ups about pedos in schools on a very regular basis.
The sexual liberation, promiscuity and hedonistic ideology are the real culprit. Vatican II allowed them to exist in the church.

Room was last years best pictures and judging from how the awards were handed off, it seemed like the academy was split between The Revenant and Mad Max, so SPotlight probably won by a short margin.