So now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this was the best Coen brothers production?

So now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this was the best Coen brothers production?

Not even cracking their top 10. It's a good movie though maybe the best I've seen from this year

I haven't seen it yet, is it worth a watch? I typically like Coen stuff.

What was better then? A Serious Man? Don't make me laugh.

>best
That is neither Barton Fink or Inside Llywen Davis

2deep4u

1. Barton Fink
2. Miller's Crossing
3. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. O Brother Where Art Thou?
5. The Big Lebowski
6. Fargo
7. No Country for Old Men
8. A Serious Man
9. Burn After Reading
10. Raising Arizona
11. True Grit
12. The Man Who Wasn't There
13. The Hudsucker Proxy
14. Hail Caesar!
15. Blood Simple
16. Intolerable Cruelty
17. The Ladykillers

>A Serious Man?

Yes.

No Country
Big Lebowski
Man Who Wasn't There
Fargo
Barton Fink

All of the above were better, but as user already said, Hail Caesar was still one of the best movies of the year so far.

Llewyn's too high and The Man Who Wasn't There is too low, but otherwise that's a pretty good list, would marathon in reverse order

DO... NOT.... SEEK.... THE TREASURE

WE... THOUGHT... YOU... WUS... A TOOOAD

It's absolutely amazing. It's the most Coen-esque film they have made.

It's one of their weakest. They weren't sure what to go for.

The only Coen movies I've watched are the True Grit remake and Hail, Caesar!

I liked Hail, Caesar! mainly because I like 50s movies. The musical number with Channing Tatum and George Clooney's speech at the end are fantastic.

TWERE DAT IT WERE SO SAMPLE

Hail, Ceasar is probably my favorite Coen bros movie.

The only sour note I think was casting Channing Tatum. He has no fucking presence.

the communists stuff was GREAT. i don't think literally nobody has got the cleverness for doing something like that before.

it would be great watching in 50 years some movie mocking our mainstream media take on terrorists.

Close this tab immediately and go watch O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Barton Fink, No Country For Old Men and Fargo. Do not pass go, do not collect $200

SQUINT AT THE GRANDEUR

everyone's seen all those.

Hail Ceasar is better than all of them.

I loved scene with a jew.

The movie is very subtle and deeply layered. I'm not going to make you wait for it - the film is about authority. Who has it? How do they get it? Do people give it to them? And if so, why?

This theme is most clearly enunciated during the scene with Baird (George Clooney) and his communist "kidnappers." They talk about the body & the head. The little guy & the boss. It's a bit confusing exactly who is "the little guy" and who is "the boss" - several different perspectives are expressed.

Through the character of Mannix (Josh Brolin) we explore this theme in several ways. On the surface Mannix is "the head" of the studio. He tells everyone what to do, and fixes problems. The studio's body would fall apart without Mannix! But Mannix also has a boss - the offscreen owner of the studio who lives in New York but gets a daily phone call. And Mannix is very serious about his faith - so God (or the church) is also his boss.

We explore the theme of authority through several discussions about faith and deity - most explicitly in the scene in which 4 religious leaders discuss whether the film "Hail Caesar" treats the topic of Christ with respect.

The extra playing Christ doesn't know if he is an extra or a principle. Also, the fictional film has the same name as the actual film we watch - so who then is in authority?

The resolution of all this questioning - and there is a clear resolution - comes from Mannix's decision about whether or not he should leave Capital pictures (as opposed to Communist pictures?) and take a more stable job doing things "that matter."

So by the end Mannix decides to stay - because whether he's the body or the head, he's part of a functioning organism that produces something of merit. And being part of that something is what matters. We all produce work, but we also all create the authority that we serve.

I feel like I'm the only one who loves Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona (dat Undertaker cameo)

The movie would have been considered anti-Semitic if it were made by non-Jews

It was shockingly open about communist Jewish infiltration by Hollywood

by best you mean the worst?

tfw like 10 people in the theater got it

Are you retarded? He was replying to the user who said he hadn't seen any of those. Do you even read what you reply to?

Off top of head.

Man who wasn't there > lebowski > > no country > miller's crossing > o brother = fargo >barton fink > blood simple > true grit > llewyn davis > serious man > burn after reading > caesar > intolerable cruelty = lady killers

Never saw hudsucker

Hail caesar was a mess. Brolin the linchpin has a boring story, no great scenes. Clooney is a waste, like every coens he does. His doofus shtick is old though the commies were good. Scarlett is a bad actress. Compared to her first coen appearance in man who wasn't there where she was subdued and played the role well.

Too many scenes were just meta social and hollywood gags. I wasn't invested I'm any characters or story and the humor fell flat for me.

Felt more like coens on autpilot. Like a studio hack trying to do coens style

WOODTHATITWERESOSIMPLE

>the film is about authority. Who has it? How do they get it? Do people give it to them? And if so, why?

I'll just watch Watership Down thanks.
Dialogue about the Little Guy and the Big Guy sounds a bit cringey in this current year.

Would itwa so simple

underrated

They didn't really mention them being Jews though did they?

>Clooney

Dropped.

On the flip side, the "critics were lukewarm" while Trumbo got an Oscar nod not a couple of months beforehand. Hardly coincidence.

But Cranston deserved it

I think this is a movie only people who enjoy old shitty cinema can enjoy, or if you're like 60 years old. Glorifying the movie industry and capitalism so hard it made me vomit in my mouth. And Tilda Swinton playing twins was really unfunny.

Cowboy guy was the only good character IMO.

LOL that's a good one, I'll have to remember that one.

Starting to think The Ladykillers is the real pleb filter of their filmography.
Why does/tv/ hate it?

It's not that it's an awful film in its own right, it's that the original with Alec Guinness was better in every way except the visuals.

wudatitwuuhhrr

but it was fucking shit