Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1797

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
Fuck Sup Forums

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

livebunker.rocks/chat/int#General
mega.nz/#F!jVNGwKKa!pUIEn073HgNisxM2HsEY-Q
mega.nz/#F!XJsS1BxJ!jxNN-YjmtN1YwKHICBYyWg
mega.nz/#F!2N9k0SpC!OUr1gBeGYIPaeOokjgnYEQ
mega.nz/#F!AZJFBRSA!iGEeELlrbTiA61_LIKKZIA
mega.nz/#F!0V5jUTgJ!2I2spNWIUi5O_RbiuUDHDQ
mega.nz/#F!m5sGyRyS!Wc2uze8RShaI9mjvX8hTvQ
youtube.com/user/freejapaneselessons3/playlists
youtube.com/watch?v=_IOZbJ7PCPk
a.uguu.se/5dhYGjLyBwb1_20170125_003757.jpg
a.uguu.se/Wwy4snJdiWug_20170125_003809.jpg
a.uguu.se/nmiU5aEYUIRP_20170125_003849.jpg
a.uguu.se/mYXPaNwWIzvd_20170125_003858.jpg
a.uguu.se/3pjpIO3rRTgi_20170125_003905.jpg
a.uguu.se/EwSMcwaLzbq7_20170125_003910.jpg
a.uguu.se/LaDxvcJUYDe3_20170125_003919.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=WUzNVK55xd4
youtube.com/watch?v=GcQHvVYX1tM
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/159843/meaning/m0u/
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/125747/meaning/m0u/
st.rim.or.jp/~r17953/impre/Anime/Gun/W/W_1.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ありがとう for getting rid of the Patreon link.

How do you guys practice writing kanji, or saying out loud the vocabs?

I need to work better on reproducing from memory instead of just recognizing, but most of the Anki decks I'm using aren't meant for that even if I reverse the cards.

>How do you guys practice writing kanji
By writing them.
>or saying out loud the vocabs
Say them out loud while writing them.

What link?

How do you review them in anki?

I don't use anki.

The one from the previous OP by that Australian twat who keeps shilling his blog.

But how would you know if you forgot a word?

If I don't recognize it when I see it, or I can't pull it out of my memory in writing or conversation, I've forgotten it.

There is no need for reproduction of kanji.
It's a lot if work for very little gain. Even native people hardly ever write by hand anymore. And it will take at least twice as long to learn them, probably longer.

Knowing how to write hiragana is good enough.

Lol really, waht is it i want to see

I always say my card out loud before pressing to show answer, so I can't cheat myself and think "hey, that's the pronunciation I was thinking about!". When you say it the sheer contrast of hearing the answer differing will give you the Right or Wrong feeling.

I wrote my Anki reps up to 7k words, but now I don't anymore, because I want to keep my daily reviews under 60 minutes and my review numbers are too high for that shit.

But it was pretty useful, I have a great deal of comfort handwriting nowadays.

I will get back to practicing writing when I study radicals and start to memorize how to write them, not only how to recognize them. Writing mindlessly during reps doesn't do much good in this stroke memorization department.

Fuck off.

Go look for yourself. There is a link to the previous OP in this OP.

Okay, I've been doing this for about two weeks, and I guess I can now vouch for it:

If you get at least word's pronunciation OR meaning correctly, and it's a word you've just learned yesterday (meaning this is your first review of it), press space and listen to the sample sentence, without reading the answer. If you can guess its meaning, you can safely press Easy and consider it a pass.

When it shows up again 3 days later you'll end up remembering it and it helps to keep that card's ease curve not so flat from the get go, meaning it won't show up excessively and your total number of repetitions won't skyrocket as much.

I'm finally out of the 240-260 reps a day, starting to enter the 220-230 zone.

Today I had 281, but that's because I fucked up big time a while ago.

>tfw JLPTの受験番号を失った

結果は郵便でも来るはず
それまで待っとけ

Instead of cheating and using the program wrongly you can just mess with your interval settings to get the same effect

今こそ見たいのに

No you don't. If you can't recall a word from memory through exposure alone, then you don't know that word well enough to use it anyway.

how would you say "This is my everyday life" in japanese?
I Figured it would be something like "それは私の日常" but I feel like something's off.

just learn a few thousand kanji first. after that, if you erally want to write, learn radicals and start practising writting.

desu.

I see nothing wrong here.
You can try rephrasing it, but it's not wrong.
自分の日常だぜ!

Thank you!

It's OK to use a "hint" like that now and then, but pressing easy after using it as well? I can guarantee you will forget that shit

Sorry, I bit my tongue.

I meant Good, I'll only use Easy for Engrish words.

Give me compliments and head pats for passing the N1. NOW.

>Still not Japanese equivalent of the Oxford/Cambridge Latin Courses

congrats mr. perkele-san

You did nothing but your obligation.
Don't get conceited, kid.

livebunker.rocks/chat/int#General

*nods respectfully and pats u*

What would you say helped you the most in preparing? I've got N3, wrapped up all my N2 grammar points/vocab, and starting the grind on an N1 deck. Wondering if I should take N2 or just keep going until N1.

These anons failing the JLPT by 30 points or more is only reinforcing my desire to study my ass off for the JLPT even though it's only January

Question: At what point in japanese study do I start looking up JLPT prep tests? After I finish tae kim's guide or?

>tae kim
Lmao
The hardest part is probably knowing enough vocab.

>these digits

i've never heard someone say "lmao" at tae kim before

is there actually a better way?

Tae kim is fine in the beginning but won't teach you grammar above like N4 level

'lmao' as in thinking that finishing tae kim is enough to start thinking about JLPT.

You should definitely do tae kim, but that's just the start of your long journey mf.

How long did it take?
What did you do to get there?

Too much Sup Forumstard shit going on in that chatroom.
Sorry my Spaniard friend, going to have to pass on that one.

What book is recommended for above N4? Aside from the JLPT textbook in the guide ofc.

Thanks Anders.

Don't talk to me monkey.

I never took any other JLPTs so I can't really say how big the differences between levels are, but I'd say you should definitely go for the N1 if you already feel like you've got the N2 down. I was also kinda uncertain whether I shoul take N2 or N1, but because I felt that I would be sure to pass the N2 and was already partially familiar with N1 vocab and grammar, I took the leap and studied a lot and in the end passed with flying colours.

I know it's been repeated to death, but going through the Kanzen Master books will prep you a lot. Also just general reading of compelling content you like. I read the Psychiatrist Irabu series (Kuuchuu Buranko is based on those books) and Boku to Tsundere to Heidegger last fall before the test just to familiriaze me with reading something on paper without the ability to rikai everything and it must have been pretty darn effective since I got full points for reading.

Never give up user!

4 years of self study. I wasn't the most diligent, but being a huge disgusting weeaboo, I was never completely away from the language.

Any manga/LN/VN/newspaper/2ch post/novel
desu

If you're going the textbook type route, I think the みんなの日本語 series is aimed at N4 and N3.
The CoR has the following you may want to have a look at:
mega.nz/#F!jVNGwKKa!pUIEn073HgNisxM2HsEY-Q
mega.nz/#F!XJsS1BxJ!jxNN-YjmtN1YwKHICBYyWg
mega.nz/#F!2N9k0SpC!OUr1gBeGYIPaeOokjgnYEQ
mega.nz/#F!AZJFBRSA!iGEeELlrbTiA61_LIKKZIA
mega.nz/#F!0V5jUTgJ!2I2spNWIUi5O_RbiuUDHDQ
mega.nz/#F!m5sGyRyS!Wc2uze8RShaI9mjvX8hTvQ

中級の日本語 is pretty good, it gives you balanced practice in grammar, reading and listening if you get the included CD on N3 and maybe N2 level. Also I love nihongo no mori videos on youtube, they teach grammar and listening, specifically tailored for JLPT and it helped me a lot for N2 at least: youtube.com/user/freejapaneselessons3/playlists

My japanese friend bought me this textbook that leads directly into a N2 textbook and an N1 textbook

it's made directly in Japan

this textbook series is probably directly what i need

yeah, it skips me from >Basic greetings straight to N2 i mean what the fuck japan

>中級の日本語 is pretty good
Do we have that in the CoR? Do you think it would be worth adding?
Also, do you mean 中級から学ぶ日本語? There is a copy of that available on yuki-nezumi's blog.

Sorry, dumb question, just started learning recently. If I wanted to say "tip-toe kiss" in Japanese would it be as simple as 蚑キス?

could you show me a sample page of that book please. tae kim is boring as fuck i'm looking for something different

つま先立ちキスだと思う

No, that's not the monkey. This is the monkey.

Sure, give me a second.

>Fuck Sup Forums
I see you're enjoying your stay here, lads

Hello friends, I'm moving to my dad's this summer for work and was hoping I could learn japanese atleast, I have a few question mates.

>Should I start with hiragana,katakana,kanji first?
>Should I start practicing how to write them first or do I practice pronunciations immediately?

>what would make learning easier? Read or Write? (i mean which do I learn first)

thank you

Thank you. I appreciate it.
That makes more sense than what I said.

Ok, I'm grinding Kanzen Master N1 right now. I do a chapter a day and make an Anki card for each entry.

I'm reading history books from the high school library too, but I'm worried about being able to understand the test passages. A lot of the practice ones are about incredibly boring shit that only Japanese people give a fuck about, like leaves changing colors or bath etiquette and my eyes glaze over. On the N3 exam there was even an entire passage about putting trash out in the morning rather than the night before.

It's a bit dumb but I have been able to discuss raw manga here in these threads more than on Sup Forums. There also seems to be a lot less hostile shitposting as many of the rather aggressive autists have taken up residence in the same titled general thread on /jp/.

That phrase provided the right sort of images from a Google image search, but that doesn't mean it is accurate. You're better off using that phrase and doing further research to see if it is something Japanese actually use in reference to tip toe kissing and not something which is more of a media buzzword type phrase for TV dramas.

t. nigger who has clearly never lived in Japan and dealt with the mountains of papers encountered frequently
maybe you want to pull out your phone every 5 minutes, but most people don't
if you do RTK, writing ceases to be an issue

>if you do RTK, writing ceases to be an issue
Then it's just an issue of handwriting.
I can write Japanese but it looks like a prescription written by a doctor. I swear penmanship is harder than language learning.

Honto oishii soshite kimochi

Did you ever bother with stroke order?

When I first got here, the principal saw me practicing kanji at my desk. About an hour later he called me into his office and had a projector set up, and spent the next 20 minutes demonstrating stroke order. I'd been ignoring it up util then, but it was so cute for the old man to try that hard that I couldn't let him down. My handwriting unironically got better after that desu

Also I think Japanese people hold their pencils slightly differently but I never really bothered to check

watch this video

youtube.com/watch?v=_IOZbJ7PCPk

Here you go

This book is very engaging to me. It follows Sean, an american, on his adventure in Japan.

It's way easier to stay committed to than something like tae kim, because the activities are engaging. You can see in the picture "please try to invite a friend".

These authors know what they're doing.

Are you meant to learn grammar and core 2k simultaneously?

>Did you ever bother with stroke order?
Initially, I guess. My first experience with kanji was through RTK, so through that process I generally became familiar with how to write kanji by memory (a lot of it has gone stale due to general lack of writing these days, but it doesn't take long to get back into the swing of it) but now it's more a matter of scrawling out characters without much thought. It developed a kind of shorthand within itself.
I'll have a look for my notebook which was used for kanji reps while I was writing them out for kanji reps in anki. See if I can get a decent enough photo.

No, you're meant to finish the HSC, go to uni and degree, get a 40+ hour a week job making someone else rich, shack up with some cunt and lock yourself down with the ball and chain while shitting out two and a half future tax payers.

初回から全開でとばしまくってくれてるヒイロ君の狂態に注目

spoonfeed me this sentence like what does it mean? it's from some gundam wing japanese episode summary site.

It's really just a matter of efficiency. If you already know the language and can read is, learning how to write it easy.

But if you're new and you've got only one hour a day, there are much better things you can do with your time. It's clearly not a priority.

Besides, stroke order is pretty consistent, if you can remember what radicals a kanji is made out of, you should be able to write most kanji you already know without problems.

本当おいしい、そして気持ちいい

Wasn't able to get any really decent photos so instead took a couple of them. One of them is bound to be okay.
a.uguu.se/5dhYGjLyBwb1_20170125_003757.jpg
a.uguu.se/Wwy4snJdiWug_20170125_003809.jpg
a.uguu.se/nmiU5aEYUIRP_20170125_003849.jpg
a.uguu.se/mYXPaNwWIzvd_20170125_003858.jpg
a.uguu.se/3pjpIO3rRTgi_20170125_003905.jpg
a.uguu.se/EwSMcwaLzbq7_20170125_003910.jpg
a.uguu.se/LaDxvcJUYDe3_20170125_003919.jpg

are there any non-weeb songs about a foreigner dating a japanese girl?

youtube.com/watch?v=WUzNVK55xd4

this weeb song is all i got. but it's very good

>Should I start with hiragana,katakana,kanji first?
Read the guide

>Should I start practicing how to write them first or do I practice pronunciations immediately?
Read the guide

>what would make learning easier? Read or Write? (i mean which do I learn first)
Read the guide

>listening to Vocaloid in 2017

it's time to stop

Why, i listen to it while lifting weights.

>tfw liked vocaloid when i was a kid because it was an alien langauge
>tfw liking vocaloid more as an adult for its actual messages unfiltered by corporations

How hard is it to get selected for the JET program? I was told that the number of candidates that get selected depends on the year. I study Japanese in uni but I can't say shit because I'm a shitty student and I have to prioritize other subjects like English and stuff that has to do with management and law. If I try to get into the JET program, will it be just a bonus that I'm fluent in English and that I'm studying Japanese or is it absolutely necessary to be fluent in Japanese as well?

Pretty sure you have to be native english to have a decent chance. Not saying not to give it a go thoguh

I've been told by someone who got accepted a long time ago that many of the others who got in didn't have English as their first language, including her, and that some schools were starting to teach French more and more (which is my 1st language). My problem is with Japanese.

狂態 is scandalous behaviour.

初回から全開でとばしまくってくれてるヒイロ君

A. 初回から means 'first'.
B. 全開でとばす means 'at full power'.
C. 初回から全開でとばす

B is a metaphorical expression from driving.
アクセル全開で飛ばす means 'To drives at full throttle'.
Furthermore, C is a metaphorical expression from one inning of baseball.
ヒイロ君 makes his best endeavor from the beginning.

ヒイロ君の狂態に注目
Let's pay attention to Hiiro-kun's scandalous behaviour.

とばし(まくって)(くれてる)
These means a double emphasis.

My nakama. I thought I was getting ignored but you came through. I'm still having difficulty processing it all. If you don't mind answering, in what ways are those metaphors relevant to observations about Hiro's scandalous behavior?
Is it saying Hiro goes full asshole mode(全開) in the beginning(初回)?

The double emphasis throws me off too. How are they used in the sentence.

"初回から全開でとばす" is a kind of set phrases.
This is also a kind of slang.

I don't know what ヒイロ君の狂態 is.
It depends on the context.

1.とばす
2.とばしまくる
3.とばしまくってくれる
4.とばしまくってくれちゃってる

I think that about 3 or later are slang.
I think those auxiliary verbs have meanings little.

とばしまくる is kind of like flaring up in a temper or sudden action/movement.

なんとか日本語能力試験に合格しちゃったね
N3級は168点が得った
助詞まだ悪いけどレベルの目標は漢字だね

飛ばす is used as metaphor here.

It's an image video of 飛ばしまくる.
youtube.com/watch?v=GcQHvVYX1tM

Dude there are like less than 5 candidates selected each year here. Give up.

Would you be able to explain what 飛ばしまくる means in English? Now I'm not really certain of what it really refers to.

About まくる.
しゃべりまくる is 'talk and talk'.
書きまくる is 'write off'.

dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/159843/meaning/m0u/
飛ばす is No6.
The reason why is there is a word of 全開 in that sentence.

dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/125747/meaning/m0u/
全開 is No2.
The reason why is a throttle is a control system of engine power by openable mechanism.

I can't decide what the meaning of that word is specifically.
Because that is a metaphor.

>乗り物を速く走らせる
That would fit in with
>or sudden action/movement.
Wouldn't it? If that's the case, I think I understand. With the metaphor of that phrase couldn't it mean that ヒイロ君 was headlong involved in what was happening?

So much of language is expressing chunks of meaning via metaphor and comparison to other sets of almost "encoded" chunks of assumed understood phraseology.

これに近い色はありますか
って英語でなんていうの
化粧品屋とかで使う

To get straight to the point, I have googled that sentence just now.
Even if we continue to talk about that phrase, the result would not come out.
st.rim.or.jp/~r17953/impre/Anime/Gun/W/W_1.html

I think that phrase is sometimes used for such a explanation of the story of TV program and so on.
That is one of quite funny expressions.
ヒイロ君 have a very strong showing probably. It is a kind of irony..

LEARNING JAPANESE IS ABOUT BEING A GRINDER! SOMEONE WHO FIGHTS THEIR WAY THROUGH ALL THE THINGS THAT THEY GO THROUGH! DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR REPS! DON'T GIVE UP ON READING! DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR GOALS AND YOUR DREAMS!

YOU WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR READING? GRIND! YOU WANT A LARGER VOCABULARY? GRIND! YOU WANT TO LEARN JAPANESE? GRIND! IT'S ABOUT WAKING UP EARLY, STAYING UP LATE, AND DOING WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO REACH YOUR GOALS! YOU HAVE TO RISE AND GRIND!

IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT PUTTING IN HOURS, IT'S ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE DOING WITH THOSE HOURS THAT YOU'RE PUTTING IN! YOU CAN'T BECOME GREAT UNTIL YOU FIGHT GREATNESS! YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET THE THINGS THAT YOU WANT OUT OF JAPANESE IF YOU'RE GOING AFTER WEAK AND EASY TARGETS! YOU DON'T CLIMB A MOUNTAIN BY LOOKING AT THE BOTTOM! YOU CLIMB A MOUNTAIN BY CLIMBING TOWARDS THE SUMMIT! DON'T TRY TO AVOID THE HARD PARTS AND GO AROUND THE DIFFICULT READING MATERIAL! TAKE IT HEAD ON AND FIGHT YOUR WAY THROUGH IT!

>IT'S ABOUT WAKING UP EARLY, STAYING UP LATE
Need to sleep to maintain your gains.

Right okay then.
Feel like I understand it but can't really put it properly into words. Oh well, there are plenty of other things in Japanese I can understand while reading but not really put it into words in English. Maybe in another few years I'll be proficient enough to translate.

is there a brighter color than this one?

みたいなのは?実際通じるかしらんけど。

なにか基準になるものを指差してこれより~なものはありますかって聞くのがいいんじゃない?

Yeah that's the site I got it from. This seems a little advanced for me right now. I'll return to this again in 3 months.

>brighter color
なるほど!ありがとう!

should i focus primarily on writing or speaking/hearing first?

なんで遊女wwww

How often do you guys practice Japanese?

I've been slacking on and off for about two years now. I think I'm gonna stick to 3 hours a day and hope to become fluent in 5 to 6 months.

My practice mostly consist of listening (from anime) transcribing and collecting vocab and grammar. Also reading manga and mining from there as well.

Out of how many candidates? The criteria to apply seem pretty specific so a lot of people can't even apply.

>How often do you guys practice Japanese?
Every day when reading manga and reviewing vocab and grammar in Anki.
That's pretty much the limit of it.